• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Ashley Williams (CB) Swansea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brock34

TIA Squad Member
Lucas said:
Drop the sanctimony, all I think is that he isn't half as bad as people think he is. But then again, what do I know, I can't form a debate and have to resort to condescending arguments..
I actually don't think he's as bad as people make him out to be either. He's a Captain of this year's Carling Cup winning team and captain of Wales. He obviously has leadership and organization skills, even if not extremely technically talented or athletic (doesn't sound that different from Carra actually at this age). And if rumors are true that both Spurs and Arsenal want him too, he likely isn't that horrible.

With that said, I don't think we're going to sign him and I'm fine with that. If Skrtel really is in our long term plans, then I see us going after another younger (23-35) CB to fight with Skrtel for one spot, and potentially one to backup Agger. Unsure about Coates - doesn't seem to fit. Wisdom on loan, Kelly to fight for RB and some LB and CB.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Lucas said:
Drop the sanctimony, all I think is that he isn't half as bad as people think he is. But then again, what do I know, I can't form a debate and have to resort to condescending arguments..
In fairness you're the one who opened with the nonsensical 'if he had a foreign name' argument...

Lucas

ILLOK said:
In fairness you're the one who opened with the nonsensical 'if he had a foreign name' argument...
And how exactly is that nonsensical?

Judging by the posts on here, you'd have thought he was a League One defender, with no premier league or captaining experience. Yes, obviously at 12m it's ridiculous to consider him, but I would welcome him here if it was at the right price, probably around 6-8m. Besides, if he really is League One standard then perhaps we won't get knocked around by the illustrious Matt Smith of Oldham.

darren kelly

"Luisito Estamos Con Vos"
England has never played this tikki takka football.It is foreign to them.Why are we signing British players and expecting them to be like Barcelona who have played this way since they were 9 yrs old.
We need to leave tikki takka in the bin and play some British football,pass and move.
Williams is a shit.And over priced.I cant believe we want to sign this.What the hell is he writing a book about himself he is a nobody journeyman.Brendan will divide the fan base if he signs him.It will be a stick to hit him with if he turns out crap.

schmee

Master of Ashla and Bogan.
Lucas said:

Judging by the posts on here, you'd have thought he was a League One defender, with no premier league or captaining experience. Yes, obviously at 12m it's ridiculous to consider him, but I would welcome him here if it was at the right price, probably around 6-8m. Besides, if he really is League One standard then perhaps we won't get knocked around by the illustrious Matt Smith of Oldham.
It's nonsensical because you're stating that we are actually saying he's not a great signing because he's British which is nonsense. By making that statement you are being condescending as I stated as you're basically informing us that we too stupid to realise that he's decent simply because we are basing our judgements on his nationality.

If you want to make your point by bringing up your opinions about his ability, his attitude or any other actual aspect that his signing would bring to the Club, be it a positive or negative thing about him then it's generally seen a having a sensible discussion.

The whole "you wouldn't say no to him if he was foreign" is a tired arguement with has no basis on any actual aspect of Williams' game and doesn't play any part in how people actually judge him (on the basis that people would be happy to have British players they consider to be good enough but wouldn't accept foreign players that aren't). It is also an arguement generally used by people who can not or are too lazy to structure a proper arguement to put forward their case.

In short it's quite possibly the most nonsensical arguement that we find put forward here when judging peoples' opinions of players.

Lucas

schmee said:
It's nonsensical because you're stating that we are actually saying he's not a great signing because he's British which is nonsense. By making that statement you are being condescending as I stated as you're basically informing us that we too stupid to realise that he's decent simply because we are basing our judgements on his nationality.

If you want to make your point by bringing up your opinions about his ability, his attitude or any other actual aspect that his signing would bring to the Club, be it a positive or negative thing about him then it's generally seen a having a sensible discussion.

The whole "you wouldn't say no to him if he was foreign" is a tired arguement with has no basis on any actual aspect of Williams' game and doesn't play any part in how people actually judge him (on the basis that people would be happy to have British players they consider to be good enough but wouldn't accept foreign players that aren't). It is also an arguement generally used by people who can not or are too lazy to structure a proper arguement to put forward their case.

In short it's quite possibly the most nonsensical arguement that we find put forward here when judging peoples' opinions of players.
Well perhaps we will just have to disagree then. For example, is Forren, the lad from Norway who we nearly signed, or Abednnour really much better, or have they simply got the benefit of the doubt because they play in a foreign league and we haven't heard of them before? If you perhaps were less "lazy" and bothered to read the previous pages maybe you'd see my views on his ability etc.

Anyway it appears we are at odds here and aren't going to persuade each other. What we can both agree on is that Williams is an "ok defender" and we could do better, but, like I'm arguing, he's not half as bad as people seem to want him to be. Let's just leave it at that.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Forren and the Tunisian lad are younger, were quoted at a cheaper price and are unfamiliar to most posting about them. How could I be so vehemently against a player that I'd never seen play?

We know what level of performance Williams is capable of, we know he's quite old yet he isn't very experienced, the prices touted in the press have been overly expensive and he hasn't exactly endeared himself to our fans. Nobody has made out that the two players you singled out are the answer but we can't rule them out as we don't really know anything about them, something that isn't true for Williams considering he plays in the same league as the club we support.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Lucas said:
As Schmee says. Also, i listed earlier in response to your post several english CB's that Liverpool fans would have been willing to sign over the last year or two.

steve10

TIA New Signing
Watched a bit of the game today- very nervous display and error prone- he is not the CB we need- let him go to Arsenal.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Saw in that Albiol rumour in the unreliable thread that Williams is set for Arsenal... has there been any concrete evidence of that so far?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Zinedine Biscan said:
Saw in that Albiol rumour in the unreliable thread that Williams is set for Arsenal... has there been any concrete evidence of that so far?
Concrete evidence will only appear when the transfer window open proper.

darren kelly

"Luisito Estamos Con Vos"
We do not have the cash for him.I would rather sign somebody else.
I also here Reina may be swapped for Tello.?

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
I am sure that he is not mad to give away his only chance to play in the prestigious 'Europa League'. Surely that's his greatest achievement so far in career. I wish him all the luck for his Europa campaign with Swansea next season.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
My post regarding Liverpool no longer having interest in Ashley Williams has more likes than the picture of ubermick wearing only purple pants and holding an Everton scarf above his head. What's this world coming to? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.