• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Ashley Williams (CB) Swansea

Status
Not open for further replies.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
REDSkins said:
I don't think Williams is as bad of a defender as some of our fanbase make him out to be, but I would consider 8m sterling for him to be a bit of a fleecing.

Williams is quite good against the big target men, he is a strong brute himself and his clearance to the back of RVPs dome is pretty much how he reacts when he's clearing danger. Intense.
He's not particularly great in the air, though, aerial duels are decent but not an improvement on Skrtel. Not sure he'd help us much with defending set pieces and he's probably worse than Skrtel for attacking set pieces.

If he snuck him in here when he bought Allen, I could see it happening, but I wonder if BR can convince the bean counters to buy yet another former player. And one arguably at the peak of his valuation. He's just too expensive as a 3rd choice CB and not an improvement on Skrtel in enough areas to justify that switch.

Much cheaper just to give Skrtel some crystal meth before games.

Edit: maybe mix with the meth with PCP for "REAL ULTIMATE POWER" as bas rutten would say
He is not bad. Maybe can be even labelled as above average. But seriously if we want to go to Europe, he is not the kind we should be targetting as a first choice CB to partner Agger! Not good enough seriously.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
He was one of the players missing in the 5-0 defeat of them by us, of course this was one of the reasons given why we beat them because other than Michu most of the rest of the team play most weeks.

He still won't be arriving at Anfield, sorry to upset those who are using it as a stick to beat Rodgers with.

RedBaron

Curse you RedBaron!!!!
So why exactly does Williams "Have a book"?
Or are we talking about someone whose done something meaningful?

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
I wonder if Rodgers latest attempt to get Carra to delay his retirement may have been in part because someone has already said to him that this idea is a shit one and generally won't be backed...

Won't be easy to find a replacement for him or Skrtel but he has no choice. Only delaying the inevitable anyway and Carras mind looks made up. But he has to look beyond these kinds of options

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
RedBaron said:
His story is quite interesting coming from being a part time footballer to playing at the highest level or something like that. Makes a decent book not a best seller but decent enough I think.

Still wouldn't have him as a player for us.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
RedBaron said:
Captained Barcelona of Wales... pretty meaningful indeed. lol

ptt

2020, head of the table.
KillerBeeLFC said:
This kind of shit is the reason i don't come on here anymore.
Some might consider that a little contradictory? I agree with the sentiment though :)

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
RichLFC said:
I wonder if Rodgers latest attempt to get Carra to delay his retirement may have been in part because someone has already said to him that this idea is a shit one and generally won't be backed...

Won't be easy to find a replacement for him or Skrtel but he has no choice. Only delaying the inevitable anyway and Carras mind looks made up. But he has to look beyond these kinds of options
No.... Both are creation of fictions by our lovely media, they have little to say after all we did the Countiho deal in 7 days and writing another article on how that Ajax defender will be joining us with the same piffy quote is rather tedious, oh look someone did and managed to quote him wrong.

OhYaBeauty

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Again absolutely nothing article in fact his link seems to be that his paper reported it last month.

a0001matt

TIA Squad Member
He'll do well at Arsenal and he'll be 'okay' here. That's just the pessimist in me. If we bring in two central defenders I am fine with Williams being one of them.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
OhYaBeauty said:
Another way to look at it is that we must not be seriously looking at the player. Hell, Spuds haven't even been linked to him yet.
Of course they haven't been linked with him.

They will wait to confirm we are interested and then gazump us.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
AussieLad said:
Of course they haven't been linked with him.

They will wait to confirm we are interested and then gazump us.
I think, if Spurs beat us to sign williams, most of would be happy, wouldn't we?

BTW, good job waking up dead thread ;) :D .

TFC

TIA Squad Member
Keep in mind the source - as unreliable as it gets:

The Swansea City defender had been heavily tipped to succeed Jamie Carragher at the heart of the Anfield club's back line next season, with the veteran centre-back set to hang up his boots, but Fenway Sports Group has no plans to rubber-stamp any deal.

Rodgers has vowed to "search far and wide" for Carragher's replacement but, while the 40-year-old continues to hold Williams in high esteem from his time at the Liberty Stadium, it is not a view shared by the Reds' transfer committee, which assesses and identifies transfer targets.
Williams, who agreed a one-year extension to his current Swansea deal to stay with the Capital One Cup holders until 2015, is valued at £12 million, which the Anfield hierarchy do not believe represents good business sense due to the lack of longevity his capture would provide.
However, Goal.com understands that the Americans' reluctance to bankroll a move for the boyhood Liverpool fan does not rule out future moves for experienced players, should they become available at a reasonable price.
www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2013/05/06/3958358/liverpool-refuse-to-sanction-rodgerss-williams-move

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
The lad isn't good enough for top quality football. If we were to get into a champions league or latter stages of a Europa league then this guy would be exposed for the average pkayer he is. Another Charlie Adam at Blackpool scenario I'm afraid.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
It's not happening, it never was going happen as FSG were never going sanction at that age and that price, Joe Allen was totally different.

Intriguing that they mention he is a long term solution the fact he will be past it by the time Rodgers hopes to get us back in the champions league says it all, made up rumour, possibly an option but never anything more. As I said shame Caulker got time at Spurs this season as I bet Rodgers would have gone after him.

If Williams was going for 5m or less then maybe.... But Swansea quotes 15m and this quotes 12m Liverpool will not pay that as the former is probably enough for two promising centre backs around the ages of 21.

That is what I believe we will buy.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Apart from the fact that it would be a typically mediocre lazy overpriced trademark Liverpool signing...I do hope we maybe start looking away from making 'manager specific' signings. We need players that can be good under any manager, not just a particular manager, otherwise you just end up with a load of wank you can't shift

The January signings are more of that type, last summer they seemed bar Assaidi which seemed a stab in the dark to be a bit manager specific. And they haven't done as well. Of course you need players that the manager will use, but especially with an inexperienced guy who has had a generally mediocre first season, would not be chucking all our eggs in to a single basket by sanctioning signing this type of guff that will quite possibly become deadwood as soon as Rodgers is fired or resigns, if not before

If the committee have indeed blocked it, maybe common sense has for once not left the building. We can hope...

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
The thing is the committee would block it, Henry and Werner would block it, the tea lady would block it, Ian Ayre's Motorcycle and collection of Journey records would block it and the comments about Suarez will block it.

I think it is the player and his agent rather than the club and to be honest even Rodgers, this committee gives the perfect get out clause for all those ITK's

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
RichLFC said:
Apart from the fact that it would be a typically mediocre lazy overpriced trademark Liverpool signing...I do hope we maybe start looking away from making 'manager specific' signings. We need players that can be good under any manager, not just a particular manager, otherwise you just end up with a load of wank you can't shift

The January signings are more of that type, last summer they seemed bar Assaidi which seemed a stab in the dark to be a bit manager specific. And they haven't done as well. Of course you need players that the manager will use, but especially with an inexperienced guy who has had a generally mediocre first season, would not be chucking all our eggs in to a single basket by sanctioning signing this type of guff that will quite possibly become deadwood as soon as Rodgers is fired or resigns, if not before

If the committee have indeed blocked it, maybe common sense has for once not left the building. We can hope...
Common sense hasn't been around in this club for several years starting at the very top when moores sold the club to the 2 jokers and spending 30 million on a one season wonder

Le_hunt

Agger's knuckles
hope we only succeed in losing a bidding war with the likes of Spurs and Arsenal. don't rate him that much, Alderweireld over him any day of the week, even if I guess he's not the same type of defender.

darren kelly

"Luisito Estamos Con Vos"
Alonso sold we get Aquilani.
Masharano goes we get Adam.
Reina going we get Vorm.
Carra going and Skrtel we get Williams.
Torres goes we get Carroll.
When we sell players we need to buy the same class and stop the race for the bottom.
Williams mentioned Luis in his book to sell more copys.Not the sort we need here.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Lucas or Allen said:
Alonso sold we get Aquilani.
Masharano goes we get Adam.
Reina going we get Vorm.
Carra going and Skrtel we get Williams.
Torres goes we get Carroll.
When we sell players we need to buy the same class and stop the race for the bottom.
Williams mentioned Luis in his book to sell more copys.Not the sort we need here.
Didn't know we had signed Vorm or Williams in fact I didn't even know we'd been linked to Vorm, unless you count two people on here, I think we sold Mascherano and didn't bring anyone in, we let Lucas take over oh wait no we bought Christian Poulsen, Charlie Adam was an upgrade on that.

jimbo

TIA Regular
he was hsocking against wigan..please hope this isnever happens

darren kelly

"Luisito Estamos Con Vos"
Charlie Adam and Poulsen were quality. lol

The papers say Vorm and Williams are our targets.Maybe the papers are wrong.I hope so.

Vorm(Swan)

Johnson Williams(Swan) Agger Enrique

Allen(Swan) Lucas
Gerrard

Sturridge Coutinho

Borini (ex Swan)

This is my Swansea Liverpool mix of players.
Manager Brendan Rodgers (exSwan)

Carra,Luis,Skrtel,Pepe out.

This would make me actually get a placard and stand outside Anfield and shout FSG out out out

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
mattyhurst said:
Didn't know we had signed Vorm or Williams in fact I didn't even know we'd been linked to Vorm, unless you count two people on here, I think we sold Mascherano and didn't bring anyone in, we let Lucas take over oh wait no we bought Christian Poulsen, Charlie Adam was an upgrade on that.
Indeed he was. In the same way that a slap in the face is an upgrade on a kick in the balls. lol

HarryFloyd

TIA First Team
charleslee89 said:
Common sense hasn't been around in this club for several years starting at the very top when moores sold the club to the 2 jokers and spending 30 million on a one season wonder
I think you'll find that Moores and sense of any sort-common or otherwise do not go together. The club lost all their remaining senses once that troglodyte took over.

Status
Not open for further replies.