• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Ashley Williams (CB) Swansea

Status
Not open for further replies.

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
HarryFloyd said:
I think you'll find that Moores and sense of any sort-common or otherwise do not go together. The club lost all their remaining senses once that troglodyte took over.
well, god knows what was moores thinking when he failed to see that those 2 clowns are clearly inferior owners with a trail of destruction already in their wake.

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time
KillerBeeLFC said:
This kind of shit is the reason i don't come on here anymore.
So, you do not agree with other people's point of view yet you readily rush into this forum expecting everyone to agree with YOUR point of view.

Yes, bloody fantastic thinking that.

You wonder why Anfield is so quiet these days for home match's with people like you about.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
charleslee89 said:
well, god knows what was moores thinking when he failed to see that those 2 clowns are clearly inferior owners with a trail of destruction already in their wake.
I think he saw 89 million reasons why he should sell to them.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
He has a shocker of a game yesterday. Hope BR was watching and realises that he's not a player worthy of wearing a Liverpool strip

Bipolar Bear

rupzzz said:
He has a shocker of a game yesterday. Hope BR was watching and realises that he's not a player worthy of wearing a Liverpool strip
Come on! BR doesn't need to scout Williams, he knows him. Kind of like Hodgson knew Konchesky, and I quote:

"There aren't many quality left-backs around in the world, never mind in England - so to find an English one who can go straight into the team without any adjustment problems is a big advantage. He is a player I know, a player I have worked with and he knows the way we try to play and the things we try to do. That's another little advantage, but the main reason for bringing him here is because we think he's a good player and he's the right man for the job."

:wacko:

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
Zinedine Biscan said:
I think he saw 89 million reasons why he should sell to them.
Unfortunately, these 89 million reasons will make me (i don't know about the rest) blame this fella for making liverpool a mid table team that it is today

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Bipolar Bear said:
Come on! BR doesn't need to scout Williams, he knows him. Kind of like Hodgson knew Konchesky, and I quote:

"There aren't many quality left-backs around in the world, never mind in England - so to find an English one who can go straight into the team without any adjustment problems is a big advantage. He is a player I know, a player I have worked with and he knows the way we try to play and the things we try to do. That's another little advantage, but the main reason for bringing him here is because we think he's a good player and he's the right man for the job."

:wacko:
"There aren't many quality Centre-backs around in the world, never mind in England - so to find an English one who can go straight into the team without any adjustment problems is a big advantage. He is a player I know, a player I have worked with and he knows the way we try to play and the things we try to do. That's another little advantage, but the main reason for bringing him here is because we think he's a good player and he's the right man for the job."

Looks exactly like how BR talks. Blah blah blah blah. :lol:

gun ainm

The Elusive 19th said:
"There aren't many quality Centre-backs around in the world, never mind in England - so to find an English one who can go straight into the team without any adjustment problems is a big advantage. He is a player I know, a player I have worked with and he knows the way we try to play and the things we try to do. That's another little advantage, but the main reason for bringing him here is because we think he's a good player and he's the right man for the job."

Looks exactly like how BR talks. Blah blah blah blah. :lol:
he'd get his nationality right though :p

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Y'all realise this hasn't actually happened, right?

Lucas

I wonder what the reaction would be here if he had a fancy continental name and played in a foreign league. Although I don't condone going for him at his current price, I can't help but think he's a victim of being British.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
Lucas said:
I wonder what the reaction would be here if he had a fancy continental name and played in a foreign league. Although I don't condone going for him at his current price, I can't help but think he's a victim of being British.
I think its more being a victim of being someone Rodgers has worked with before, than being British - although I'm sure that has a bit to do with it as well.

If he was the exact same player, nationality, age, but played for Everton or Spurs then I don't think people would be as upset. The concern is that Rodgers is seeing players through tinted glasses.

Lucas

TFC said:
I think its more being a victim of being someone Rodgers has worked with before, than being British - although I'm sure that has a bit to do with it as well.

If he was the exact same player, nationality, age, but played for Everton or Spurs then I don't think people would be as upset. The concern is that Rodgers is seeing players through tinted glasses.
Agree on this, but there is as much evidence for Rodgers taking players from Swansea as there is signing players he hasn't worked with. He had no scouting system in place at the beginning of his tenure here, and it obviously shows with his pursuit of Borini/Allen, but, with the system in place, he signed Sturridge and Coutinho, two he hadn't worked with. I don't see why he would suddenly revert to buying the Swansea team when he has an effective scouting network in place now.

Reactions: TFC

therealkeano1

TIA Reserve Team
Lucas said:
I tend to agree with you. Williams is a very good cb I don't think 10mil is a good price due to his age and experience but 5 to 6 would be fair and he would add to the team. He would improve us in the sort term and won't hinder Kelly coming in a year or two making that position his own.

However I don't think Williams should leave Swansea for us as he look like a money grabber as Swansea are going to Europe and he is their captain and he should stay there until the end of career especially if Swansea kick on again. He had a great time there and he should see it out.

I reckon he will stay unless he gets massive wages or champions league. Arsenal are meant to interested and that would be a better move for him.

Lucas

therealkeano1 said:
I tend to agree with you. Williams is a very good cb I don't think 10mil is a good price due to his age and experience but 5 to 6 would be fair and he would add to the team. He would improve us in the sort term and won't hinder Kelly coming in a year or two making that position his own.

However I don't think Williams should leave Swansea for us as he look like a money grabber as Swansea are going to Europe and he is their captain and he should stay there until the end of career especially if Swansea kick on again. He had a great time there and he should see it out.

I reckon he will stay unless he gets massive wages or champions league. Arsenal are meant to interested and that would be a better move for him.
I think you're right. Williams has been consistently good over his two seasons in the league, but I wouldn't say he has been £10m-£12m good, probably, like you say, around £8 - it's just his recent contract extension bumps up the price.

Whilst he would be a good addition at the right price, there are others out there who we could splash 12m on. However, according to some people here, you would think he was Paul Konchesky.

therealkeano1

TIA Reserve Team
Lucas said:
I think you're right. Williams has been consistently good over his two seasons in the league, but I wouldn't say he has been £10m-£12m good, probably, like you say, around £8 - it's just his recent contract extension bumps up the price.

Whilst he would be a good addition at the right price, there are others out there who we could splash 12m on. However, according to some people here, you would think he was Paul Konchesky.
I hope we don't get fvuked like that again but he is a lot better than konchesky. Fulham are laughing we gave them 4 mil and their young Swedish international left winger kaklinic.

weetabix

TIA Youth Team
I've regularly watched Williams play for Wales and he is a liability when playing against top glass players. I think Rodgers signings have been reasonably good so far - due to injuries it's unfair to judge Allen and Borini yet - but if he signs Williams I'll have serious doubts about him.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Lucas said:
If we were reportedly interested in signing a mediocre foreign centre back at Williams age and the reported price then the reaction would be the same. The fact he's worked with Rodgers and is a nob only exacerbates people's opposition to the signing, it isn't the root cause.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
ILLOK said:
If we were reportedly interested in signing a mediocre foreign centre back at Williams age and the reported price then the reaction would be the same. The fact he's worked with Rodgers and is a nob only exacerbates people's opposition to the signing, it isn't the root cause.
Agreed and it doesn't help when the likes of Allen and Borini haven't exactly looked great in their short time with us.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Lucas said:
Absolutely disagree. If we were discussing the signing of Cahill, Jagielka or Cauker for example i dont think they would get critisized as much as Williams does....

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
Lucas said:
I think he's a victim of not being a very good player.

He's been very up and down this season. And his downs are really down. Like someone else said he struggled against technical players. Personally, I think he'd get destroyed in the CL.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Never Say Never said:
Have to agree on that bit. I don't think anyone will say no to a quality player from Swansea. For example Michu.

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
Never Say Never said:

He's been very up and down this season. And his downs are really down. Like someone else said he struggled against technical players. Personally, I think he'd get destroyed in the CL.
wait, we aren't even in Europe to start with for the next season...

darren kelly

"Luisito Estamos Con Vos"
Williams who tried to ''kill'' Van Persie with a kick to the head?
Who wrote crap about wanting to punch Luis!!!
Who costs 12 million!!!!
Who turns like a German tank with no fuel in the snow in Russia!!!!!!!!!
No way we can do better!

Red Island

I think the way BR has being saying in any talk about transfers is that the system they have in place is now starting to work very well and he says that will continue.he says there was a lack of clarity in the first window and IMO he played it safe with players he knew.

taking what he said and applying it to the summer I think it will be like the Jan window...players undervalued at the bigger clubs.

I think williams is not the type of player the transfer committee or whatever it is called are looking at.he is an established player at a lower team (like Allen) and while it is experience they require IMO they will look higher up in this or different leagues for that.

a0001matt

TIA Squad Member
I also think that the staff and board need to look at the events of the past week and figure that into their transfer considerations.

Manager changes at United and Everton, the Chelsea vacancy, and the ongoing murmors of Mancini leaving City. For the first time in two or three seasons we enter next year with some continuity and stability.

Had Williams been a target last summer I would have been more inclined to accept his arrival. Certainly now we need to up the ante a little and try to take advantage of this opening.

Spurs and Arsenal supporters have to feel good entering next season (unless Bale leaves) for precisely the same reason, but we need to close the gap.

schmee

Master of Ashla and Bogan.
Lucas said:
The only reason I can think of that a foreign player, at the same level ability wise as Williams might not get the derision signing Williams gets could be that people might not have seen said foreign person play. Most people in here though have seen the British players play. Williams is an ok centre half but nothing special by any means.

As mentioned if we were to go after a good British player people wouldn't be against it. I we were after a rubbish foreign centre back then people would be against it.

Personally I think that whole "if he had a foreign name and wasn't British" or the "you would all love him if his name ended in -inho" arguements are very tiresome and show a complete lack of ability to discuss a situation, instead trying to bring out that crap to try and be condescending to people who don't like the player.

Lucas

schmee said:
Personally I think that whole "if he had a foreign name and wasn't British" or the "you would all love him if his name ended in -inho" arguements are very tiresome and show a complete lack of ability to discuss a situation, instead trying to bring out that crap to try and be condescending to people who don't like the player.
Drop the sanctimony, all I think is that he isn't half as bad as people think he is. But then again, what do I know, I can't form a debate and have to resort to condescending arguments..

therealkeano1

TIA Reserve Team
Lucas or Allen said:
Williams who tried to ''kill'' Van Persie with a kick to the head?
Who wrote crap about wanting to punch Luis!!!
Who costs 12 million!!!!
Who turns like a German tank with no fuel in the snow in Russia!!!!!!!!!
No way we can do better!
Any man who trys to take united best players that plus 10 right there for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.