• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Asmir Begović (GK) - Stoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
brush85 said:
The only issue with that though is that you wont get as much money for Reina 2 years from now, as you would right now. Goalkeepers over 30 dont generate much funds as it is and Pepe is 31 in August.
I though we as football fans(not accountants right?) are supposed to be worrying about the well being of the squad!

A 5m reduction in price wont hurt us if we Reina stays and performs well and get us smoothly out of this defense rebuilding and into CL the next season.

rab

The Elusive 19th said:
The reports that we are not even in for him and Pepe is saying goodbyes makes me to come to only one conlusion, we are getting vorm!!! :(

Or we are trying Suarez at GK - where he can't bite often since the players will be far away from him, where he can handle the ball with his hands as much as wants. He can shout abuse and racial slurs - since the referee won't be near him, he won't be able to punish him with a 10 match ban. :cheers:

PS - the transfer season has already made me loose my mind. How the hell am I going to survive till Sep 1? :eek:
We've seen quite regular links to a number of keepers including Begovic and Zieler but i've yet to see anything but the most tenuous of links to Vorm. What makes you think Vorm is the man we're after especially as all these Reina leaving stories are currently being denied?

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
rab said:
We've seen quite regular links to a number of keepers including Begovic and Zieler but i've yet to see anything but the most tenuous of links to Vorm. What makes you think Vorm is the man we're after especially as all these Reina leaving stories are currently being denied?
Did you not read the post script. I am throwing the tantrum. :lol:.

brush85

The Elusive 19th said:
I though we as football fans(not accountants right?) are supposed to be worrying about the well being of the squad!

A 5m reduction in price wont hurt us if we Reina stays and performs well and get us smoothly out of this defense rebuilding and into CL the next season.
IMO, we wont get in the top 4 next season. I think we need too many players and one year is too little time to make the leap.

The season after that? yes but if we miss out again next year, we surely by then wont have Suarez. So long term progression is going to be a lot longer than I think a lot of people think it will be.
And thats why I wouldnt be against getting max value now.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
brush85 said:
IMO, we wont get in the top 4 next season. I think we need too many players and one year is too little time to make the leap.

The season after that? yes but if we miss out again next year, we surely by then wont have Suarez. So long term progression is going to be a lot longer than I think a lot of people think it will be.
And thats why I wouldnt be against getting max value now.
We are 12 points behind the 4th spot this season. If we get the summer targets right atleast we can have a try.

We should think about selling Reina, if and only if and only if, he insists. Else we should tell Barca to go to hell.

Cortez

Isn't it, though?
Since Sturridge and Coutinho joined, we've been on course for a 72 point season. Surely its fair to say we can have a fair crack at top four if we get some good signings this window. I mean. It's not totally out there to suggest it.

schmee

Master of Ashla and Bogan.
Cortez said:
Since Sturridge and Coutinho joined, we've been on course for a 72 point season. Surely its fair to say we can have a fair crack at top four if we get some good signings this window. I mean. It's not totally out there to suggest it.
I'm all for your optimism but I thought the same after the last half of the season two years ago.

Granted you stated if we get our summer transfers right (and we buggered up rightly two summers ago) but I'm still not going to allow myself to get carried away. Have done that for over two decades now and it just means I'm more pissed off by November most years.

I'd be happier now if the other teams pushing for the CL weren't going to strengthen too but as it stands I'm not counting my chickens that we'll definitely challenge for the top 4 (at least nit until the season starts anyway ;) )

Arminius

FSG PR plant
The Elusive 19th said:

Actually, even from a formal accounting point of view, it would not make sense to sell him now to maximize for 5M more. Say a hypothetical replacement is available at 12M, on a 4 year contract. The club charges down the value of that acquisition by (roughly, depends on method, won't bore you) 3M per year, so we would be essentially spending 6M to save 5M.

But in general, well-run sporting organizations have smart people to handle this issue set, so the manager/coach never thinks much about it. Rodgers should be in no rush to think about Reina in bean-counting terms.

That said, I have liked Begovic since he was a junior player. This adidas ad probably did not see much circulation in most markets, but it tells a neat story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKYCQM-7drQ

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Cortez said:
It's not, of course, but other teams will be strengthening, too, especially our direct rivals for fourth spot, Tottenham and Arsenal. And I have a feeling that Arsenal will actually spend proper money on proper players. It would be great if they didn't catch us off guard for once, though, I hope we will strengthen, too, and do that quickly.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
Nikola13 said:
It's not, of course, but other teams will be strengthening, too, especially our direct rivals for fourth spot, Tottenham and Arsenal. And I have a feeling that Arsenal will actually spend proper money on proper players. It would be great if they didn't catch us off guard for once, though, I hope we will strengthen, too, and do that quickly.
But all the reports have us spending the usual 20m plus sales, which would only get us half way to filling our needs. If its a smokes screen to keep the prices down for players we want to buy then I understand but if the rumours from the media are truce. Well we better start scouting for Suarez's replacement cause we won't finish in the top 4 which will lead to him leaving.

rab

MarlboroMan said:
But all the reports have us spending the usual 20m plus sales, which would only get us half way to filling our needs. If its a smokes screen to keep the prices down for players we want to buy then I understand but if the rumours from the media are truce. Well we better start scouting for Suarez's replacement cause we won't finish in the top 4 which will lead to him leaving.
I wouldn't be taking a £20m figure as gospel. We had a net spent more than that last summer (including loosing Maxi, Kuyt and Bellamy for next to nothing) with a new manager in charge, a lacklustre scouting team and some definite finacial constraints given the previous summers huge outlay.

This summer we have the new TV deal, bigger commercial deals in place and finally some continuity in the managerial set up from one season to the next. Aside from a couple of media reports with no foundation behind them there's nothing concrete to suggest that we've only got a £20m kitty to start with. Even if that was the worst case scenario if you add in fees for the players we'll sell that are obviously not wanted or utilised then you're looking at potentially another £25m-£35m. £50m would be a decent if not spectacular wedge and almost certainly more than Spurs or Everton will be spending and somewhere close to Arsenal and Utd, however we'll never got close to the Chelsea and City spending that'll likely be happening.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
rab said:
I wouldn't be taking a £20m figure as gospel. We had a net spent more than that last summer (including loosing Maxi, Kuyt and Bellamy for next to nothing) with a new manager in charge, a lacklustre scouting team and some definite finacial constraints given the previous summers huge outlay.

This summer we have the new TV deal, bigger commercial deals in place and finally some continuity in the managerial set up from one season to the next. Aside from a couple of media reports with no foundation behind them there's nothing concrete to suggest that we've only got a £20m kitty to start with. Even if that was the worst case scenario if you add in fees for the players we'll sell that are obviously not wanted or utilised then you're looking at potentially another £25m-£35m. £50m would be a decent if not spectacular wedge and almost certainly more than Spurs or Everton will be spending and somewhere close to Arsenal and Utd, however we'll never got close to the Chelsea and City spending that'll likely be happening.
While i largely agree with you. The rumours last summer behind BR's refusal to sign Sturridge then was that (partly at least) it would be coming out of this summer's budget. If thats true then it is possible that his signing and/ or that of Coutinho was also out of any planned budget for this summer (perhaps thats why we have the £20m + figure rather than an expected £25m or £30m figure as some had been predicting).

Secondly the and sales element is important because we dont know how much that will be until the sales have been done. Mjy concern over selling players like Pepe is that their replacements cost more than the what we bring in by selling someone and therefore has a knock on affect over the number of players we get.

With regards to Spurs, i think they probably feel they need fewer players to come in than we do. And, if Bale does go they will get a large sum of money from which to rebuild. It's one thing we havent done too often in the past (selling players for a significant increase to what we paid) and the most recent time when we did, we didnt use the proceeds as wisely as we hoped.

S

showmethemoney

STOKE WILL LET ASMIR BEGOVIC JOIN LIVERPOOL OR CHELSEA
31st May 2013

By Jack Wilson

ASMIR BEGOVIC will be allowed to join Liverpool or Chelsea after Stoke chairman Peter Coates admitted he wouldn't stop the Bosnian leaving.

Keeper Begovic, 25, put in some fine performances for Stoke and was one of the main reasons they weren't relegated from the Premier League.

Begovic would command a fee of around £15m and Liverpool and Chelsea are interested in snapping him up.

Coates said: "Asmir is a super professional player.

"We like him very much. He is a top, top goalkeeper - I think he is as good as anybody in the Premier League.

"But he is also ambitious. If top clubs come in for your players, I do not think you can deny them the opportunity."

Although he won't be sold on the cheap.

Coates added: "But it would depend very much on the money being right. We are not looking to sell him.

"We are not expecting to sell him. We expect him to be our goalkeeper next season."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/317615/

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Why would Chelsea want him..... Considering they have two solid keepers already.

Status
Not open for further replies.