• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Ballon d'Or 2019 - LFC players

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Had a chat with a mate about Ballon d'Or 2019 and we thought about some LFC players, followed by others. This is what we came up with:

Alison: Champions League and Copa America winner, Golden Glove in PL, Champions League and Copa America
Firmino: Champions League and Copa America winner.
Mane: Champions League winner and AFCON runner up, PL Golden boot
Salah: Champions League winner and PL Golden boot
VVD: Champions League winner and UEFA Nations Runner Up
Gini: As above

Others that we think come into it:
Ronaldo - Domestic league winner and UEFA Nations winner
Messi - Domestic league winner
Bernardo Silva - Domestic league and cups winner, UEFA nations winner
Hazard - Europa League winner
Mahrez - Domestic league and cups winner, AFCON winner

Curious case, but I don't think FIFA will recognise the UEFA Nations cup as highly as AFCON or COPA AMERICA. And probably consider the Champions League winner higher than domestic leagues?

From our players, VVD def stands out but Alison has had a phenomenal year. (Helped at LFC with VVD in front of him)

From the rest, I think Mahrez and Hazard are weak shouts - Mahrez hardly featured but has the medals, and Hazard only had the Europa Cup.
Bernardo Silva has a good case. Messi and Ronaldo usually have more, but Ronaldo has probably a bigger shout.

What do you think? Have I missed anyone significant?
And are there any important cups still to play in the next 4 months?

Alright Now

Had a chat with a mate about Ballon d'Or 2019 and we thought about some LFC players, followed by others. This is what we came up with:

Alison: Champions League and Copa America winner, Golden Glove in PL, Champions League and Copa America
Firmino: Champions League and Copa America winner.
Mane: Champions League winner and AFCON runner up, PL Golden boot
Salah: Champions League winner and PL Golden boot
VVD: Champions League winner and UEFA Nations Runner Up
Gini: As above

Others that we think come into it:
Ronaldo - Domestic league winner and UEFA Nations winner
Messi - Domestic league winner
Bernardo Silva - Domestic league and cups winner, UEFA nations winner
Hazard - Europa League winner
Mahrez - Domestic league and cups winner, AFCON winner

Curious case, but I don't think FIFA will recognise the UEFA Nations cup as highly as AFCON or COPA AMERICA. And probably consider the Champions League winner higher than domestic leagues?

From our players, VVD def stands out but Alison has had a phenomenal year. (Helped at LFC with VVD in front of him)

From the rest, I think Mahrez and Hazard are weak shouts - Mahrez hardly featured but has the medals, and Hazard only had the Europa Cup.
Bernardo Silva has a good case. Messi and Ronaldo usually have more, but Ronaldo has probably a bigger shout.

What do you think? Have I missed anyone significant?
And are there any important cups still to play in the next 4 months?
Divock. Lock.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
It has to be Alisson Becker, winners of 2 major competition, runner up in 1, individual awards make a compelling case. Happened before albeit 50 years ago. Alisson will do it.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Alison got a golden glove in all 3 comps he played in (he didn’t play in carabao or fa for us) - that’s pretty impressive, winning 2 and runner up in other.

Vvd - probably my favourite player at the moment. Surely best defender in the world.... and helped Alison get 2 of his golden gloves.

I’m not sure what else Alison could have done this year... so I’m edging towards him.

But if fifa give it to Ronaldo - well, that says it all.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
It's always the flair players, the attackers, the consistent goal scorers that are always gone for, but I think VVD and Alison Becker should be in with a big shout. It has to be asked, is it a level playing field when the players are judged? It could also be said that very few players playing in England end up with the award - very similar to the Eutopean Song Contest. Myself, I would vote for Virgil because he's so deserving of it. If he does win it, it will be another feather in the cap of LFC, too.

cynicaloldgit

Resident Misanthrope
Ad-free Member
VVD has been the best player in the PL and Europe this year.
If he doesn't win it, then it's an absolute joke and travesty.
There is s case for Allison, but VVD wins this or we get a new conspiracy/bias thread started!
There’s no conspiracy: defenders have always been underrated in comparison to attackers.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Agree. But this season VVD has been exceptional, even the most anti LFC commentator will understand that.
My comment was tongue in cheek, but I dont think there can possibly be any other fair result.
But they can’t look at just outstanding performances.... Alison has got more medals and trophies... he’s done it all the way with national team. Vvd got pfa player of the season, ballon d’Or has a different criteria - whether it’s a corrupt fifa or not - but it runs calendar year, rather than season.

I’d be made up if Vvd got it and he deserves it, but Alison more so. It’ll be a joke if Ronaldo or messi get it.

lfc.8

Messi. He's been the best player once again. No one else comes close.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Neymar!

Mediocre Copa America
Processional La Liga, where he scored 3 goals versus the other top 4 teams, all against Valencia who were clearly a level below the Madrid sides
Wrong side of a massive upset at Anfield
Wrong side of a significant upset in the Copa del Rey

Basically would be giving him the Ballon d'Or for scoring multiple goals against the likes of Huesca and Levante, or just being Messi.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Neymar!

Mediocre Copa America
Processional La Liga, where he scored 3 goals versus the other top 4 teams, all against Valencia who were clearly a level below the Madrid sides

Basically would be giving him the Ballon d'Or for scoring multiple goals against the likes of Huesca and Levante, or just being Messi.
Messi remains top five, it's only his previous accomplishments that mean this last season is seen in a lesser light. But to say no one else comes close, on a Liverpool forum, that's almost trolling.

Alisson and VvD are equally as worthy for the season they've had. Mane would be up there as well, particularly if Senegal had won the AFCON. Mbappe and Ronaldo the other obvious contenders.

In no particular order :

Alisson
VvD
Mané
Messi
Ronaldo
Mbappe
Sterling
De Jong
Silva

I expect those 9 to be in the top ten.

At least one of Robertson or TAA should be in the top twenty.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Are you on the wind up? Messi is/was an exceptional talent, best I have seen perhaps. But not at the moment. Mane has been more consistent against better teams, and he is third choice LFC player.

lfc.8

Neymar!

Mediocre Copa America

European Golden Boot, La Liga top scorer, Champions League top scorer, top most assists across Europe (possibly - near the top at least), most chances created in La Liga. Messi dominates like no other.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
European Golden Boot, La Liga top scorer, Champions League top scorer, top most assists across Europe (possibly - near the top at least), most chances created in La Liga. Messi dominates like no other.
I think you can be given that - Golden Boot, top scorer in leagues with most assists, but apart from La Liga he hasn't won diddlysquat. The past two seasons in Champions League he and his side have suffered humiliating defeats against Roma and ourselves, lost in Copa del Rey, and lost playing for Argentina at the Copa America this season. He's good, but he's not that good.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Most of his goals came against whole teams paid less than he is, La Liga was clearly on a down year. His best game of the season was probably the one against Sevilla.Twelve goals in the CL is impressive, but Barca had a soft run until they got to Anfield, Spurs were the only real opposition. Far from being dominant, his 18/19 season is notable for how often major opponents were able to neutralize him, in a way that was unthinkable four years ago. There is a reason why he was in such an obvious depression at the end of the season.

lfc.8

Most of his goals came against whole teams paid less than he is, La Liga was clearly on a down year. His best game of the season was probably the one against Sevilla.Twelve goals in the CL is impressive, but Barca had a soft run until they got to Anfield, Spurs were the only real opposition. Far from being dominant, his 18/19 season is notable for how often major opponents were able to neutralize him, in a way that was unthinkable four years ago. There is a reason why he was in such an obvious depression at the end of the season.
Barca had a below par season by all accounts only winning the league, but Messi had a very good season. This is an individual award after all.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
It's probably gonna be Messi. He can hug this when reliving the nightmare when Liverpool dismantled his team

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Barca had a below par season by all accounts only winning the league, but Messi had a very good season. This is an individual award after all.
I don't think he really had an exceptional season by his standards - his ability to carry Barcelona through difficult games was notably smaller this year. He might still win it, because he has a credible argument. But unless his level really comes back, the Cristiano or Messi era has come to an end.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Would take Mane over Messi and the Portuguese Ponce aka Ronaldo.Salah and Firmino to. Our front three are the best in world football in my opinion.

Becker and Virgil have to be in the running aswell. Our best ever 'keeper and centre back? Arguably they are. Bloody magnificent players that they are.

Bottom line is, does is really matter? We are European champions. The best team in Europe. LFC are firmly back on their perch with more to come.

Nothing else matters.

Last edited:

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Would take Mane over Messi and the Portuguese Ponce aka Ronaldo.Salah and Firming. Our front three are the best in world football in my opinion.

Becker and Virgil have to be in the running aswell. Our best ever 'keeper and centre back? Arguably they are. Bloody magnificent players that they are.

Bottom line is, does is really matter? We are European champions. The best team in Europe. LFC are firmly back on their perch with more to come.

Nothing else matters.
Agree with most of what you say. But things like this matter. Fairness matters. If there is fairness VVD or Allison win it.