• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Ballon d'Or 2019 - LFC players

Livvy

Alles wird gut
The European Ballon d'or seems to favour players in mainland Europe, especially in La Liga, last 11 years, has been La Liga players who have won it. There are some flaw nominations there .

I suppose Messi and Ronaldo are advertisers dream as well.
Tbf, It isn't quite like this. European and Asian countries voted mostly for Virgil. But Messi got more votes in Africa, America North/South, and Oceania. It was very close.

Last edited:

Flobs

FADA
I didn't know it was that close (7points!)

Mané and Salah should have withdrawn then big Virg should have surely white washed it. That's the problem when you have a number of great, world class players in your team. Someone from an inferior team that does well due to just that 1 player has a greater chance. Still I think we can be proud that we had soo many players nominated and very near the top.

Livvy

Alles wird gut
Mané and Salah should have withdrawn then big Virg should have surely white washed it. That's the problem when you have a number of great, world class players in your team. Someone from an inferior team that does well due to just that 1 player has a greater chance. Still I think we can be proud that we had soo many players nominated and very near the top.
Well, yes. Virgil presumably lost it because of Mane/Salah votes in Africa imo. Happens. But we are lucky to have them all. :)

Magnus

Mostly the voting is sensible, but you see some of those countries have corrupt practices in their sporting department, which should come as no surprise given that these are non-democracies. Some note worthy ludicrous tribal voting is Arab states voting for Mahrez and indeed, Salah. I have nothing against him (Mahrez), but he is no where close, nor is Salah in this particular season.
Maybe with a different voting structure, Van Dijk would have won, but difficult when you have those backwards countries that vote for cultural reasons and not footballing reasons.

Red over the water

Ronaldo and Messi, two of the greatest of all time, have sewn it up for more than a decade, with Modric breaking up that duopoly. You would have to think that the award will start to get shared around a bit more as we move forward.

The other thing is success breeds success, so if we win the Prem, and remain at the sharp end in the CL, at some point one of our boys will make the breakthrough in the Ballon D’Or. When you are an established winner like Messi has been, you pick up a lot of votes based on reputation too. We are building that side of it up, with 4 in the top 7 a great sign of how far we’ve come.

* Mind you, if we win the Prem and stay at the sharp end of the CL, I couldn’t care less what individual awards we might attract, as the team will be writing its own history.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
So happy that the journalist from Montenegro voted the way he did, I now have to check if he's a Liverpool fan, just in case. On the other hand, the journalist from Serbia, who is pretty knowledgeable and a bit geeky but also a die-hard Man United fan, couldn't hide his true colours and gave these scandalous votes. Really disappointed with him, I thought he knew better.

Sweeting

I thought they aggregated a large selection of journalists from a range of countries - do they really just ask one guy to select? That's strange.

Not going to moan about Messi winning it - it strengthens his claim to "GOAT" over Ronaldo - and we walk away from last season with the CL. I'll take that any day of the week.

Livvy

Alles wird gut
I thought they aggregated a large selection of journalists from a range of countries - do they really just ask one guy to select? That's strange.

Not going to moan about Messi winning it - it strengthens his claim to "GOAT" over Ronaldo - and we walk away from last season with the CL. I'll take that any day of the week.
The prize was awarded by a jury consisting of one sports journalist each from the countries of the 53 member associations of UEFA and 53 jurors from the countries of those non-European associations that participated in at least one World Cup finals. Each of them awarded, from a list given by the France Football Editorial Board, to 5 players - (since 2016) : six, four, three, two and one point, respectively. The performance of the players in the respective calendar year should be appreciated. [13]

Last edited:

cynicaloldgit

Green, not greed
Ad-free Member
The prize was awarded by a jury consisting of one sports journalist each from the countries of the 53 member associations of UEFA and 53 jurors from the countries of those non-European associations that participated in at least one World Cup finals.
UEFA has 55 members. And I don’t remember the lines of Sri Lanka, Mauritius or Tanzania ever gracing the World Cup finals. :unsure:

Livvy

Alles wird gut
UEFA has 55 members. And I don’t remember the lines of Sri Lanka, Mauritius or Tanzania ever gracing the World Cup finals. :unsure:
Maybe Wikipedia wasn't updated ;) , doesn't matter actually, no? But you can still count and compare if you want!?
I just translated it from a German side. Maybe "final stages" is a better translation and not finals? We call it "Endrunde".

Last edited:

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Tanzania voted VVD, Salah, Mane, Bobby and just to escape controversy Messi as 1,2,3,4,5 respectively.
Mauritius voted VVD and Mane as 1 and 2.
Srilanka voted TAA as number 1.
So you sush about them.

I checked everything to see if there is any country who didn't vote even a single 1 of our player. And there is none!

FGred

My work had a Christmas party once where they handed out awards. I was given the ‘hermit of the year’ award but I wasn’t there to receive it. I stayed at home.
That’s about how I feel about these FIFA /UEFA glamour nights. No interest at all. Like the bbc sports personality.
Salah and Mane didn’t go either as they rightly so were peeved by the ridiculous choices the gaggle of journalist who chose the winners even FF themselves were surprised at Mane’s position.

FGred

My view is beat the top clubs over there in Champions league, this is the best way. I would love us to beat Real Madrid's record of most Champions league wins.
That always happens in my dreams but to win it 6 times again would be a tough ask and an impossible miracle

Sweeting

Apparently Messi and Ronaldo have large PR teams behind them who make winning the Ballon D'or, and I imagine the other individual trophies, much easier by applying as much pressure as possible to the voters.

They refused to show up last year when they both found out they hadn't won, Ronaldo didn't go this year for the same reason, and made it known that were livid at Modric beating them in 2018.

I think the real problem people have with the result this year is not that Messi won it but that van Dijk had a season better than any other defender in recent history - 97 pts in the league, revolutionised a club's defence almost single handedly, won the Champions League, knocked Messi out of the CL in the process - and yet there was still no way he was going to win because he didn't have the same support from sponsors and stakeholders to influence the vote.

Just seems a shame that scoring a hattrick against Alaves means more to the Ballon D'or voters than being head and shoulders the best defender in world football.