• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Ballon d'Or 2019 - LFC players

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Van Dijk was the leader of the best defence in Europe. CL winner, 97 points, 10 direct goal involvements and The Netherlands did well internationally.

Mbappe almost matched Messi for G&A at club level this year whilst having more success internationally.

Messi is certainly in the conversation, but to say nobody comes close is ridiculous.

lfc.8

I don't think he really had an exceptional season by his standards - his ability to carry Barcelona through difficult games was notably smaller this year. He might still win it, because he has a credible argument. But unless his level really comes back, the Cristiano or Messi era has come to an end.
Messi scored 51 goals plus 19 assists across all competitions. From a player who regularly drops back into midfield and creates for others. Whether by his own high standards is all rather moot. It's about comparing him to others.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Messi scored 51 goals plus 19 assists across all competitions. From a player who regularly drops back into midfield and creates for others. Whether by his own high standards is all rather moot. It's about comparing him to others.
Messi got 1 medal and 2 individual awards?
Alison got 2 medals and 3 individual awards.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Messi got 1 medal and 2 individual awards?
Alison got 2 medals and 3 individual awards.
Fewest goals conceded in the league. Most clean sheets. Highest save % in the league. 2 goal conceded in 11 games for Brazil. If I remember correctly he made at least twice as many saves as any other keeper in the CL last season.

auzziez

First goalkeeper ever to win 3 Golden Gloves in a single season. If that doesn't win Allison the award, I don't know what will. When did a goalkeeper win the Ballon d'Or last?
If not then it has got to be Van Dijk. For what he has achieved with us and the national team.
Sadio is close but not enough.
Any other forward/midfielder winning the award would be a disappointment.

Alright Now

I think you can be given that - Golden Boot, top scorer in leagues with most assists, but apart from La Liga he hasn't won diddlysquat. The past two seasons in Champions League he and his side have suffered humiliating defeats against Roma and ourselves, lost in Copa del Rey, and lost playing for Argentina at the Copa America this season. He's good, but he's not that good.
Plus the speeches he makes in losing efforts are boring.

Alright Now

First goalkeeper ever to win 3 Golden Gloves in a single season. If that doesn't win Allison the award, I don't know what will. When did a goalkeeper win the Ballon d'Or last?
If not then it has got to be Van Dijk. For what he has achieved with us and the national team.
Sadio is close but not enough.
Any other forward/midfielder winning the award would be a disappointment.
Lev Yashin 1963. I didn’t even have to google it.

Commando

Ad-free Member
European Golden Boot, La Liga top scorer, Champions League top scorer, top most assists across Europe (possibly - near the top at least), most chances created in La Liga. Messi dominates like no other.
Barca had a below par season by all accounts only winning the league, but Messi had a very good season. This is an individual award after all.
OK Lionel, we get it. You want to win this award. But it’s not TIA you have to convince it’s the France Football panel.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
It’s a popularity voting - nothing more.

One of Messi or Ronaldo will win. The one of them who misses out will be pissed and refuses to take part in the ceremony.

Second and third will then go to Mbappe (because this Ballon d'Or is a French thing) and VvD.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
The nominees for Ballon D’or are made by the french (I think it’s 30 names).

There is then a panel, which has no more than 1 representative from a country (I think they are respected journos). They then put there top 5 in order. There’s a points system, and that’s how the winner is decided.

Our front 3 and Alison were nominated last year. This year, should be them plus VVD.

Could be interesting from an lfc perspective

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Stoped following this ridiculous award since around 2014, when they included David Luiz in their world 11. Multiple reasons, but that was the moment when I thought what's the point of watching this stupidity. If any of our player wins any individual award then great, but I don't really care about this one.

igor_piss_can

Based on performances for the season I can't see further than Messi or Van Dijk. I think we've been spoilt with how good Messi is so it's easy to understate his achievements. 51 goals in 50 games, a golden shoe and cruising to the title by 10 points is still an incredible season & if literally anybody else had a season like that, they'd probably be odds on favorites.

Van Dijk has obviously been phenomenal and improved our side tenfold.

While Alisson has been great and is probably the best goalkeeper in the world right now, I don't think he deserves to win it. I'd say a lot of our defensive improvement is down to Van Dijk

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
Stoped following this ridiculous award since around 2014, when they included David Luiz in their world 11. Multiple reasons, but that was the moment when I thought what's the point of watching this stupidity. If any of our player wins any individual award then great, but I don't really care about this one.
When David Luiz was included had he transferred to PSG by then?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
While Alisson has been great and is probably the best goalkeeper in the world right now, I don't think he deserves to win it. I'd say a lot of our defensive improvement is down to Van Dijk
Van Dijk was with us when we finished 4th and lost the final. Alisson has as much to do with how we've defended as Van Dijk.

Last edited:

Imgoingred

TIA Reserve Team
Hard to say or predict - could go either way. Numbers didn't matter last year with Modric winning it. Did he really stand out that much compared to everyone else?

Messi - 51 goals, 22 assists. Any other player not named Messi would win it, let's be honest.

Alisson's numbers are probably the equivalent of a Messi-like season but is hard to compare. One way it could be is to see it's effect on the teams he plays for. Did Messi's 51 goals and 22 assists win him much? A procession league. Alisson's numbers/performances won him a Champions league and Copa America. But we all know defenders and GKs get shafted in this award.

VVD stands out above all other defenders in the world right now. The same way Messi did for years but will have the same issue as Alisson if I had to guess.

I have hope that one of our boys will win it.

igor_piss_can

Van Dijk was with us when we finished 4th and lost the final. Alisson has as much to do with how we've defended as Van Dijk.
Was with us for half of that season and you could see the improvement as soon as he came in, not even going to go into the final because of the ridiculous circumstances involved but the reason we lost had nothing to do with Van Dijk.

Don't get me wrong Alisson is great & I'm not trying to downplay him but I think Van Dijk's influence has been incredible

The Phenom

Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis
I would love to see Tyler combust even if it meant a Manure player winning it - it’s never gonna happen in our lifetime.
This (our) needs qualification. I don't know about you but I am in the final stretch of my lifetime, so yeah you're right from my viewpoint and maybe yours as well, no Manure is going to win it.
However there are others on here (maybe a lot, maybe a small number) who still have a long long road ahead. A Theater of Prawner would have a high chance of snagging it then.
I'm no betting man but I'll make an exception for you. A sh*tman will win it within the lifetime of some TIAers. However, I don't think I can collect my winnings from you as by then I will likely be residing somewhere in the netherworld. :J :D

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
This (our) needs qualification. I don't know about you but I am in the final stretch of my lifetime, so yeah you're right from my viewpoint and maybe yours as well, no Manure is going to win it.
However there are others on here (maybe a lot, maybe a small number) who still have a long long road ahead. A Theater of Prawner would have a high chance of snagging it then.
I'm no betting man but I'll make an exception for you. A sh*tman will win it within the lifetime of some TIAers. However, I don't think I can collect my winnings from you as by then I will likely be residing somewhere in the netherworld.
You're perfectly correct, owd lad. I will quantify the our by saying I am 70 years old, so yeah, the chances of one of their places not winning it in my lifetime are better than most on our site.

Red over the water

VVD should win it.
Good shout for Alisson too.

If Messi or Ronaldo win it, the thing is corrupt. Neither of them won the CL and both, while still being very good players, are on the wane. A new breed is emerging, and Liverpool legitimately have a few in the conversation, but it should be VVD.