• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Ballon d'Or 2019 - LFC players

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
VVD should win it.
Good shout for Alisson too.

If Messi or Ronaldo win it, the thing is corrupt. Neither of them won the CL and both, while still being very good players, are on the wane. A new breed is emerging, and Liverpool legitimately have a few in the conversation, but it should be VVD.
I don't know about corruption, but there's definitely a load of favouritism at play. Still, either Alisson Becker or Virgil Van Dijk deserve to win it and my favourite is big Virg. If the award goes to Messi or Ronaldo this time then it will be a farce similar to the Eurovision Song Contest, which should be renamed "I am voting for my neighbours" Song Contest.

Red over the water

Either way, it should go to big Virg! Or arguably Alisson. And if they see Ramos there hopefully they can dish a bit out for that judo throw, which hasn’t been forgotten!

igor_piss_can

I don't know about corruption, but there's definitely a load of favouritism at play. Still, either Alisson Becker or Virgil Van Dijk deserve to win it and my favourite is big Virg. If the award goes to Messi or Ronaldo this time then it will be a farce similar to the Eurovision Song Contest, which should be renamed "I am voting for my neighbours" Song Contest.
Ronaldo definitely shouldn't be in with a shout. He seems to have dropped down a level or two this year & the likes of Salah, Mane, Aguero, Sterling etc have all had better seasons than him in my opinion.

Messi on the other hand scored almost as many goals as Salah & Mane combined this season, as well as chipping in with 19 assists so I wouldn't have much of an argument if he ended up winning it. Hope it's Virgil though

William Clarke

Ronaldo definitely shouldn't be in with a shout. He seems to have dropped down a level or two this year & the likes of Salah, Mane, Aguero, Sterling etc have all had better seasons than him in my opinion.

Messi on the other hand scored almost as many goals as Salah & Mane combined this season, as well as chipping in with 19 assists so I wouldn't have much of an argument if he ended up winning it. Hope it's Virgil though
It can’t be argued against that Messi has scored lots of goals, but when comparing the Spanish and English league teams I would say the teams in our Premier League right down to relegation sides have a never-say-die attitude as compared to the bottom feeders over in Spain.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
I don't believe for a second that a Liverpool player will win it, particuarly after Mane missed out on the AFCON.

As others cite, it's usually flair players that win the big award. Mane needed the AFCON for the sweep. Think he scored the goal of the CL too with his one at the Alianz arena.

Probably Messi. If so, I hope he has to stand there with Alisson and VVD either side of him.

William Clarke

I don't believe for a second that a Liverpool player will win it, particuarly after Mane missed out on the AFCON.

As others cite, it's usually flair players that win the big award. Mane needed the AFCON for the sweep. Think he scored the goal of the CL too with his one at the Alianz arena.

Probably Messi. If so, I hope he has to stand there with Alisson and VVD either side of him.
I’d like him in the bronze or silver positions after Alli or Virg and I am hoping it’s Virg.

igor_piss_can

It can’t be argued against that Messi has scored lots of goals, but when comparing the Spanish and English league teams I would say the teams in our Premier League right down to relegation sides have a never-say-die attitude as compared to the bottom feeders over in Spain.
I sort of half agree. I think our league is definitely more competitive once you take out City and ourselves. But in terms of the top two teams there was a massive gulf, I lost count of the amount of City games I watched last season where the opposition had basically resigned themselves to defeat from the whistle & looked like they just wanted to be put out of their misery as soon as possible.

There are also some world class strikers in La Liga (Suarez, Benzema, Greizzman) and none of them managed to get anywhere close to Messi's tally last season. In fact the only person who got close to him in any top division I think was Mbappe & he was still a few goals behind and only managed about half the number of assists

William Clarke

Do not underestimate the power of a ball boy, we wouldn't have won our 6th if it wasn't for this fella....
One former and the other is currently a ball boy still!
Yeah @lfc.eddie we ignore ballboys at our peril. Well, maybe that's overstating it, but we do have one ballboy who we should be very grateful to o.

Incognito

The Normal One
That's it for me - if Alisson doesn't win you'd have to wonder just what a goalkeeper has to do in order to win it.
I was inclined towards Van Dijk but after seeing some of the highlights again, I think Alisson deserves it more. One notices the other players contribution as they are more involved in the play, however keepers have to act whenever called upon and one mistake ends up getting highlighted. The influence they have gets overlooked more often than not.

Not only are Alisson's numbers impressive, but he has made quite a number if significant saves in all competitions, especially CL.

Also I always wonder are these individual awards for
a. Player who has had the best individual stats without his team winning anything or
b. Most significant player of the team that has won major competitions?

In case a, wouldn't it be difficult to judge players playing at different positions? And in case b, wouldn't it be unfair to a player who has been head and shoulders above any one else but couldn't win anything because of being in a shitty team?

It's individual award so it ideally should be the latter as the team in question anyways wins the trophy. But over the years such players have been ignored and most of the arguments have been that the player's team didn't win anything for him to be in contention.

Red over the water

I don’t mind if Virg or Alisson win it. Both are deserving. If Messi gets the nod, again, then it will all feel meh. Like, haven’t we seen this one before?

If Messi wins I hope Virg and Alisson make up the top three, and in the photo shoot our men will look like giants next to him. And hopefully in the background there’s lots of CL winning footage to honour our men and hopefully make Messi’s award taste a little more bitter than usual.

I think it will be Van Dijk, Alisson, and Messi in third place. I hope he wears his crushed velvet Austin Powers suit again.

lfc.8

Hard to pick Alisson when van Dijk alone was seen to have had the better season.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Hard to pick Alisson when van Dijk alone was seen to have had the better season.
When? For the Premier League? Since then Alisson's won the CL (a win in which he played as big a, if not bigger, part than Van Dijk) and the Copa America for Brazil's first win in 12 years. I think he conceded just the 1 goal during the whole tournament, made more saves than anyone else in the CL too.

Van Dijk's been terrific but I'd argue Alisson's had more overall success this year (which as an individual he's played an instrumental role in) than Virgil.

richieh10

I think if either of those 2 guys won there is a big case of hard luck for the other.

I’m gonna go VVD, Alisson, Bobby (just to complete the hat trick

Kopstar

★★★★★★

Don't forget to register and vote when the top ten names are announced at 3pm. [This is not the same as the Ballon D'Or but it is the one we can influence]

[No goalkeepers in the shortlist, so no Alisson - twats]

The ten options are:

Ronaldo
De Jong
De Ligt
Kane
Hazard
Mane
Mbappe
Messi
Salah
Van Dijk

Last edited:

Commando

Ad-free Member

I saw something (maybe earlier in this thread or another thread) about Messi's stats. I I remember correctly the vast majority of his goals and assists came against the smaller teams and very few against the top sides.

I don’t mind if Virg or Alisson win it. Both are deserving. If Messi gets the nod, again, then it will all feel meh. Like, haven’t we seen this one before?

If Messi wins I hope Virg and Alisson make up the top three, and in the photo shoot our men will look like giants next to him. And hopefully in the background there’s lots of CL winning footage to honour our men and hopefully make Messi’s award taste a little more bitter than usual.

I think it will be Van Dijk, Alisson, and Messi in third place. I hope he wears his crushed velvet Austin Powers suit again.
I think Messi and Ronaldo have history of not turning up for the presentation unless they win it.

Incognito

The Normal One

Don't forget to register and vote when the top ten names are announced at 3pm. [This is not the same as the Ballon D'Or but it is the one we can influence]

[No goalkeepers in the shortlist, so no Alisson - twats]

The ten options are:

Ronaldo
De Jong
De Ligt
Kane
Hazard
Mane
Mbappe
Messi
Salah
Van Dijk
The ten-man shortlist for The Best FIFA Men’s Player 2019 award - based on their respective achievements during the period from 16 July 2018 to 19 July 2019 inclusive - has been compiled by a panel of experts in men’s football.

So Why the fck no Alisson??? And why is Kane on that list!!!!

Kopstar

★★★★★★
The ten-man shortlist for The Best FIFA Men’s Player 2019 award - based on their respective achievements during the period from 16 July 2018 to 19 July 2019 inclusive - has been compiled by a panel of experts in men’s football.

So Why the fck no Alisson??? And why is Kane on that list!!!!
Fucking baffling. Can't even claim it was because of his jammy WC golden boot as that's outside the timeline. During that period he played 40 club games, scoring 24 goals with 6 assists. He played 9 games for his country, scoring 3 goals with 3 assists - he won nothing.

He wasn't even the best player in his team (Son was Spurs' player of the season). Son, in fact, surely had a shout - pretty much kept Spurs in contention single-handed and also won the Asian Games during this period, thereby avoiding military service. Still not as impressive as Alisson mind.