• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Ballon d'Or 2019 - LFC players

Incognito

The Normal One
Fucking baffling. Can't even claim it was because of his jammy WC golden boot as that's outside the timeline. During that period he played 40 club games, scoring 24 goals with 6 assists. He played 9 games for his country, scoring 3 goals with 3 assists - he won nothing.

He wasn't even the best player in his team (Son was Spurs' player of the season). Son, in fact, surely had a shout - pretty much kept Spurs in contention single-handed and also won the Asian Games during this period, thereby avoiding military service. Still not as impressive as Alisson mind.
Agreed. And he is the only one who won nothing in that list. Also, not just Son, it was Moura as impressive as well. Champions league finals was the only good thing for Spurs and Moura was the key to the run in.

They simply didn't want to have 4 Liverpool players there. Not having Alisson is a joke. IMO Bernardo Silva also has a decent shout to be in there.

Commando

Ad-free Member
The ten-man shortlist for The Best FIFA Men’s Player 2019 award - based on their respective achievements during the period from 16 July 2018 to 19 July 2019 inclusive - has been compiled by a panel of experts in men’s football.

So Why the fck no Alisson??? And why is Kane on that list!!!!
Fucking baffling. Can't even claim it was because of his jammy WC golden boot as that's outside the timeline. During that period he played 40 club games, scoring 24 goals with 6 assists. He played 9 games for his country, scoring 3 goals with 3 assists - he won nothing.

He wasn't even the best player in his team (Son was Spurs' player of the season). Son, in fact, surely had a shout - pretty much kept Spurs in contention single-handed and also won the Asian Games during this period, thereby avoiding military service. Still not as impressive as Alisson mind.

There's a separate competition for goalies. Just waiting for FIFA to announce their tenman shortlist.

1, Allison Becker
2, Allison Becker
3, "
4, "
5, "
6, "
7, "
8, "
9, "
10, Jordan Pickford

Kopstar

★★★★★★
There's a separate competition for goalies. Just waiting for FIFA to announce their tenman shortlist.

1, Allison Becker
2, Allison Becker
3, "
4, "
5, "
6, "
7, "
8, "
9, "
10, Jordan Pickford
Is there really? Why?

MinniMo

When you look at the points for Kane

Helped Tottenham Hotspur reach their first UEFA Champions League final
Scored 17 Premier League goals in 28 appearances for Spurs
UEFA Nations League semi-finalist with England

As opposed to the rest of the candidates that is naff, I agree that if any Spurs player deserves a place, it would be Son.

PS: Don't forget to vote for Da Boss in Best Coach too.

lfc.8

When? For the Premier League? Since then Alisson's won the CL (a win in which he played as big a, if not bigger, part than Van Dijk) and the Copa America for Brazil's first win in 12 years. I think he conceded just the 1 goal during the whole tournament, made more saves than anyone else in the CL too.

Van Dijk's been terrific but I'd argue Alisson's had more overall success this year (which as an individual he's played an instrumental role in) than Virgil.
It's not about who's had more success it's about who's been the better player. van Dijk being judged to have had the better season for club is reason enough. The Champions League is not just the final. There's no place for sentiment whether it was Brazil's first in 12 years or not.

Alisson had a great season and is a top goalkeeper, though it's not completely clear he was the best goalkeeper for the entire season across Europe, while for van Dijk it was.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Alisson had a great season and is a top goalkeeper, though it's not completely clear he was the best goalkeeper for the entire season across Europe, while for van Dijk it was.
How could you argue against Alisson not being the best across Europe and possibly the world, while at the same sentence you stake claim that Van Dijk can be considered the best?

lfc.8

How could you argue against Alisson not being the best across Europe and possibly the world, while at the same sentence you stake claim that Van Dijk can be considered the best?
Substitute Europe for World.

The arguments are not linked.

van Dijk dominated and was clearly the best in his position from start to finish. As for the goalkeeper it's a bit closer to call and the decision more marginal between himself and ter Stegen.

The point was picking Alisson for Ballon d'Or is hard when van Dijk was seen to have had the better season for club.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
van Dijk dominated and was clearly the best in his position from start to finish. As for the goalkeeper it's a bit closer to call and the decision more marginal between himself and ter Stegen.
How so? Oblak is clearly a better keeper compared to Stegen in that league. Having conceded 36 goals in La Liga, and not claiming the most cleansheets in Champs League would have tipped you off that Stegen while may be a good keeper, is a level below Ederson, Oblak and Alisson. Alisson to me had demonstrated over the course of the entire season in 18/19 being the best keeper. Having won Champs League, missed out on league with 1 point and won the Copa, which he also claimed the golden glove award. If he didn't do that for Brazil, then you could argue it was down to our defence. Alisson conceded on penalties throughout the entire Copa, none from open play would suggest he is playing a level above everyone else.

Stegen? Here's 5 keepers with most cleansheets in Europe last season. And we are talking about Balon d'Or for 2018/19.

lfc.8

How so? Oblak is clearly a better keeper compared to Stegen in that league. Having conceded 36 goals in La Liga, and not claiming the most cleansheets in Champs League would have tipped you off that Stegen while may be a good keeper, is a level below Ederson, Oblak and Alisson. Alisson to me had demonstrated over the course of the entire season in 18/19 being the best keeper. Having won Champs League, missed out on league with 1 point and won the Copa, which he also claimed the golden glove award. If he didn't do that for Brazil, then you could argue it was down to our defence. Alisson conceded on penalties throughout the entire Copa, none from open play would suggest he is playing a level above everyone else.

Stegen? Here's 5 keepers with most cleansheets in Europe last season. And we are talking about Balon d'Or for 2018/19.

Goalkeepers are generally judged on more than just clean sheets.

te Stegen had a very good season and is one of the top few goalkeepers in the world. Alisson, te Stegen, Oblak and de Gea (not great last season mind) are the best for me. Ederson very good as well but just a notch below.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Goalkeepers are generally judged on more than just clean sheets.

te Stegen had a very good season and is one of the top few goalkeepers in the world. Alisson, te Stegen, Oblak and de Gea (not great last season mind) are the best for me. Ederson very good as well but just a notch below.
I guess again, you and I see things very differently....

Incognito

The Normal One
If Alisson doesn't win it this season, I don't think a keeper will ever win in. Sadly considering he wasn't even considered to be nominated in that earlier bullshit fifa award that had Kane in it, I wouldn't be surprised if he's again not in the top 3.

Sold Heskey

Freedom ain't free...
If the award is supposed to go the the best player irrespective of anything else, it’s got to be Messi surely. I appreciate this won’t be a popular opinion on here...

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
If the award is supposed to go the the best player irrespective of anything else, it’s got to be Messi surely. I appreciate this won’t be a popular opinion on here...
Best player in the last year? Undoubtably over his career the best player on the planet, maybe the best player ever....
But over the last year? Probably 4th at best.
And 3 Liverpool players are ahead of him.

treboeth

fspencer

Looks over at Xherdan
seedorf must be the worlds greatest ever footballer then lol

Lynch04

Smeg Head
Its a weird year for the Ballon D’or as there was no W/C or Euro’s but you had the African Cup of Nations, the Copa and the new Euro League of Nations or what ever it is called.

I will apologise if any of my statements are incorrect.

The last defender to win it was Cannavaro in 2006 after guiding Italy to winning the W/C, there have been only 2 other defenders to win this award. The last and only GK was Yeshin in 1963. Additionally from my brief scan there has only been one African winner, the great George Weah.
So basically the odds are against our lads!! Or are they?

I think you can narrow it down to 4 players. VVD, Alisson, Mane and Ronaldo.
All 4 players had domestic/European and international success. All be it Mane and VVD runners up.
So on that basis its between Alisson and Ronaldo. So Juventus done the usual winning the league and Cup, but Ronaldo who usually scores a goal a game was down on his usual output, additionally Juventus could only make the QF of the CL.
Alisson, however, won individual Golden gloves awards in the EPL, CL and Copa America. A winner in the CL and Copa America and 2nd in the EPL with 97 points.

Basically Iv had too many Gins and am waffling. In my honest opinion it should me VVD, Alisson, Mane. Maybe, i am being to rose tinted in my assessment but in my opinion CL & Int. performance oversees all other competitions, hence no City players being short listed.
However, we all no know that there is a lot of politics which may rob our players of their just desserts

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
One of Jenas' nuggets last night when talking about VVD and the Ballon D'or was that Messi would always get his vote because of his performances over the years, not just the last 12 months

:rolleyes:

igor_piss_can

I wouldn't say hands down he deserves to win it because Van Dijk has been immense and you can't really argue against Alisson's numbers, but if he did win it I wouldn't argue the decision at all.

There's definitely some double-glazed red tinted glasses on here in regards to this, 51 goals, 19 assists, a golden shoe & a league title which he won with a few weeks to spare is certainly nothing to be snuffed at. I'm sure people on here would have been screaming for Salah to win the award after the season he had in 2017/2018, well Messi has surpassed Mo's exceptional figures with relative ease, while also bagging a league title along the way.

Imagine literally any other player (bar maybe Ronaldo) having a season like that, we seen the hysteria Salah got the other year & he still didn't reach the heights Messi did last season. I think the people who are adamant Messi shouldn't be in the debate mustn't watch a lot football apart from the Liverpool game and a bit of MOTD because it's absolutely baffling how you can overlook this man

Best player in the last year? Undoubtably over his career the best player on the planet, maybe the best player ever....
But over the last year? Probably 4th at best.
And 3 Liverpool players are ahead of him.
4th at best? So the top 3 is entirely made up of Liverpool players & 50+ goalscorer Lionel Messi doesn't get a look in (as well as any other player that plays for a different team)? These are the kind of shouts what get us labeled as deluded & cult-like

Last edited:

Kopstar

★★★★★★
I wouldn't say hands down he deserves to win it because Van Dijk has been immense and you can't really argue against Alisson's numbers, but if he did win it I wouldn't argue the decision at all.

There's definitely some double-glazed red tinted glasses on here in regards to this, 51 goals, 19 assists, a golden shoe & a league title which he won with a few weeks to spare is certainly nothing to be snuffed at. I'm sure people on here would have been screaming for Salah to win the award after the season he had in 2017/2018, well Messi has surpassed Mo's exceptional figures with relative ease, while also bagging a league title along the way.

Imagine literally any other player (bar maybe Ronaldo) having a season like that, we seen the hysteria Salah got the other year & he still didn't reach the heights Messi did last season. I think the people who are adamant Messi shouldn't be in the debate mustn't watch a lot football apart from the Liverpool game and a bit of MOTD because it's absolutely baffling how you can overlook this man

4th at best? So the top 3 is entirely made up of Liverpool players & 50+ goalscorer Lionel Messi doesn't get a look in (as well as any other player that plays for a different team)? These are the kind of shouts what get us labeled as deluded & cult-like
In trying to be as objective as possible (ha!) I'd say that Van Dijk and Alisson are top two. I'd personally have 1 Alisson, 2 Van Dijk but if it's the other way around I couldn't grumble. Messi 3rd. Those three are on their own out in front, imo. Mane probably 4th but some way back.

igor_piss_can

In trying to be as objective as possible (ha!) I'd say that Van Dijk and Alisson are top two. I'd personally have 1 Alisson, 2 Van Dijk but if it's the other way around I couldn't grumble. Messi 3rd. Those three are on their own out in front, imo. Mane probably 4th but some way back.

I think there's a fair case for all three of those to win it, the funny thing about this year is that they all play in completely different positions so it's difficult to gauge in terms of influence and who is the most valuable to their side

I'd there's a fair number of players who could lay claim to 4th. Sterling / Mbappe / Hazard / Mane etc but as you said I don't think any of those could break into the top 3

dormelfc

I genuinely think VVD has a solid chance of winning it this year, if not, he should be in the top three. He's won the UCL, the Super Cup, been one of the best performing defenders in the Premier League, scored some vital goals and reached the final of the Nations League.