• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Ballon d'Or 2019 - LFC players

igor_piss_can

I genuinely think VVD has a solid chance of winning it this year, if not, he should be in the top three. He's won the UCL, the Super Cup, been one of the best performing defenders in the Premier League, scored some vital goals and reached the final of the Nations League.
Bookies favourite at the minute at 8/13 so he's definitely got a chance, Messi is second at 6/5

igor_piss_can

Just been looking at the odds for this - Alisson is 3rd favourite at 16/1 on Skybet.

For those odds it's definitely worth a small punt for anybody who has a bet. I would have expected him to be about 5/1 at the very most

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
UEFA player of the year will be out of messi, Ronaldo and vvd.

To be announced end of August.

The others in the list are:
4. Allison
5. Mane
6. Salah
7. Hazard
8. De ligt
9. De jong
10. Sterling

I’m getting confused with all these awards... but probably some sort of guide to who gets nominated for balon dor ... nice to see so many reds!

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member

4. Allison
5. Mane
6. Salah
7. Hazard
8. De ligt
9. De jong
10. Sterling

I’m getting confused with all these awards... but probably some sort of guide to who gets nominated for balon dor ... nice to see so many reds!
Ronaldo?!

Ahead of Alisson?

MinniMo

4. Allison
5. Mane
6. Salah
7. Hazard
8. De ligt
9. De jong
10. Sterling

....and the votes were as follows:-

REST OF THE TOP 10
4) Alisson Becker (Liverpool & Brazil) – 57 points
5) Sadio Mane (Liverpool & Senegal) – 51 points
6) Mohamed Salah (Liverpool & Egypt) – 49 points
7) Eden Hazard (Chelsea/Real Madrid & Belgium) – 38 points
8) Matthijs de Ligt (Ajax/Juventus & Netherlands) – 27 points
9) Frenkie de Jong (Ajax/Barcelona & Netherlands) – 27 points
10) Raheem Sterling (Manchester City & England) – 12 points

We have 4 of the top 10 - how bluddy good are we!!

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
4th at best? So the top 3 is entirely made up of Liverpool players & 50+ goalscorer Lionel Messi doesn't get a look in (as well as any other player that plays for a different team)? These are the kind of shouts what get us labeled as deluded & cult-like
Humblest apologies for wearing double glazed red specs on a Liverpool supporters forum. Humblest apologies for being part of a deluded cult.
This even handedness and fairness is doing my head in.
For what it's worth, Allison, Mane and VVD are ahead of Messi regarding contribution in my honest opinion.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I'm going to be slightly controversial;

Mane didn't have a better season than Salah.

For Mane it was an improvement over previous seasons for Saleh it wasnt as good as the season before.

But just simply looking at last season in isolation I still think Saleh was as good or better than Mane.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
I'm going to be slightly controversial;

Mane didn't have a better season than Salah.

For Mane it was an improvement over previous seasons for Saleh it wasnt as good as the season before.

But just simply looking at last season in isolation I still think Saleh was as good or better than Mane.
Agree
All 4 ahead of Messi in terms of contribution to their team. Messi at Anfield was a shadow, a haunted being......he didnt looked like a Balon D'or winner for sure. Yes he is a super player. But not as effective this past year. His Copa performances were poor by his standard.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Agree
All 4 ahead of Messi in terms of contribution to their team. Messi at Anfield was a shadow, a haunted being......he didnt looked like a Balon D'or winner for sure. Yes he is a super player. But not as effective this past year. His Copa performances were poor by his standard.
Hate to say it but the only reason not to rate Messi as the best attacker on the planet is that he wasnt as good or dominant as he has been. In reality viewed in isolation Messi was the best attacker last year. Alisson best keeper and VvD best defender. Those 3 for me are out in front of their peers, there isn't really a midfielder that was a stand out that I can think of. So that's what I think the top 3 should be. To think 2 out of 3 being LFC players is mind blowing if it happens.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Hate to say it but the only reason not to rate Messi as the best attacker on the planet is that he wasnt as good or dominant as he has been. In reality viewed in isolation Messi was the best attacker last year. Alisson best keeper and VvD best defender. Those 3 for me are out in front of their peers, there isn't really a midfielder that was a stand out that I can think of. So that's what I think the top 3 should be. To think 2 out of 3 being LFC players is mind blowing if it happens.
Ok
I am being totally biased towards Liverpool players. It's been a long time since we can boast so many contenders for individual awards. And I think that is worthy of celebrating, rather than arguing against.

I recognise Messi as the best footballer of his time, perhaps the best ever. And maybe he is benchmarked against HIS best rather than against others performances. But over the last year? His performances for Barca have been against relatively weaker teams. His performance at the cutting edge in Anfield was poor. His performance in the Copa was poor.
In comparison to Mane, Becker and VVD he is behind them in terms of contribution in my view.
There is a description here of double glazed red specs!! when looking at this and worrying about being viewed as a cult? To me, at the moment we should be arguing just how good our players are. We used to have David Ngog and Ballotelli for fuck sake!!

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Ok
I am being totally biased towards Liverpool players. It's been a long time since we can boast so many contenders for individual awards. And I think that is worthy of celebrating, rather than arguing against.

I recognise Messi as the best footballer of his time, perhaps the best ever. And maybe he is benchmarked against HIS best rather than against others performances. But over the last year? His performances for Barca have been against relatively weaker teams. His performance at the cutting edge in Anfield was poor. His performance in the Copa was poor.
In comparison to Mane, Becker and VVD he is behind them in terms of contribution in my view.
There is a description here of double glazed red specs!! when looking at this and worrying about being viewed as a cult? To me, at the moment we should be arguing just how good our players are. We used to have David Ngog and Ballotelli for fuck sake!!
For me the top 5 attackers on the planet based solely on last season's form (ignoring reputation);

1st Messi
2nd Mbappe
Joint 3rd Salah and Mane
5th Ronaldo

That to me is fucking fantastic and amazing credit. Yes Messi and Mbappe may be padding their goal contributions in weaker leagues but are both carrying domestically dominant sides on their backs and recording insane numbers. Barca were put out of Europe in a freak one in a million night by the team that won it. They would have walked the final against Spurs. Can't hold that against Messi, over the two legs he was still responsible for two goals against the meanest defence around that year which included best CB and best keeper.

igor_piss_can

For me the top 5 attackers on the planet based solely on last season's form (ignoring reputation);

1st Messi
2nd Mbappe
Joint 3rd Salah and Mane
5th Ronaldo

That to me is fucking fantastic and amazing credit. Yes Messi and Mbappe may be padding their goal contributions in weaker leagues but are both carrying domestically dominant sides on their backs and recording insane numbers. Barca were put out of Europe in a freak one in a million night by the team that won it. They would have walked the final against Spurs. Can't hold that against Messi, over the two legs he was still responsible for two goals against the meanest defence around that year which included best CB and best keeper.
Also - Messi wasn't the first and he certainly won't be the last player to shit his kecks at Anfield. The whole team couldn't string a pass together, just as Manchester City couldn't the year before & Mourinho's Chelsea over a decade before.

I pretty much agree with your top 5 although one change I would make would be to swap Ronaldo with Sterling & have 3 players as a joint three as as much as it pains me to say, City's treble was a remarkable achievement & Sterling was right at the forefront of it

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Also - Messi wasn't the first and he certainly won't be the last player to shit his kecks at Anfield. The whole team couldn't string a pass together, just as Manchester City couldn't the year before & Mourinho's Chelsea over a decade before.

I pretty much agree with your top 5 although one change I would make would be to swap Ronaldo with Sterling & have 3 players as a joint three as as much as it pains me to say, City's treble was a remarkable achievement & Sterling was right at the forefront of it
50-50 on agreeing with you regards Sterling, he did amazing, especially with off field issues, but I'd still put him more in the next group with him, Hazard, Bernado Silva, Son and Firmino completing the top ten attackers. Not sure what order though for 5 to 10.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Cant see anyone else apart from VVD.
Easily one of the top 3 footballers in the world being a defender.
Not to mention, he has transformed this clubs defence in a matter of a year, and look at how players around him have got confidence.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin

1st Messi
2nd Mbappe
Joint 3rd Salah and Mane
5th Ronaldo

Yeah, agree with you. Looking at it objectively, there can only be one winner here (center-backs or goalies almost never get the award anyway).

The only way Messi couldn't win it is if his performances in international football are heavily valued against him. In that case, it would open the door for Ronaldo, who won that new international trophy, and played a key role to win it.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member

Is this different to the Ballon D'or or has everyone suddenly stopped calling it that?

Am I just being thick?
This is different. There are so many awards now its hard to keep up. Its great that VVD is in with a shout, but surely Alison should be in there too? Looks like Messi is above Ronaldo in the stats, but Ronaldo won more trophies. For me, though Messi did have a good season - but when he was really needed - At anfield and Copa America - where was he?

Incognito

The Normal One
The Ballon D'or and FIFA Best Player's Award will be awarded on separate dates? And when will that happen?
I was reading that since 2016 the awards are no longer the same, but last three winners have been same though.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
The Ballon D'or and FIFA Best Player's Award will be awarded on separate dates? And when will that happen?
I was reading that since 2016 the awards are no longer the same, but last three winners have been same though.
Ballon D'or is December and for Jan - Dec 2019. FIFA Best Player I think is for Season 18/19. VVD now has another reason to be winner of both.
£75m - what a waste!