• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Ballon d'Or 2019 - LFC players

Abdel

who the hell voted for Messi?
Apparantly one of them was VVD himself

VVD won UEFA award. Ballon dor is December.

Messi did nothing for Argentina this year, vvd got Holland to the final of UEFA nations cup.

Messi couldn’t get barca past anfield.

Vvd has transformed lfc defence.

How Messi won the fifa award shows the corrupt ness in all its splendour.
There is no shame to be second best to someone who scored 51 goals and 22 assists in 50 games

Broomy

TIA's Redkopi
Ad-free Member
That awards ceremony was comedy central last night... From the female presenter who clearly didnt want to be there to Alisson going missing for his award to the best XI to Marcelo Bielsa winning the Fifa Fair Play Award even though he openly admitted to spying on another team's training session and then to cap it all off Messi beats Virgil.... I was not only pissed off but the other part of me found it comedy gold!!!

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
That awards ceremony was comedy central last night... From the female presenter who clearly didnt want to be there to Alisson going missing for his award to the best XI to Marcelo Bielsa winning the Fifa Fair Play Award even though he openly admitted to spying on another team's training session and then to cap it all off Messi beats Virgil.... I was not only pissed off but the other part of me found it comedy gold!!!
There was also that gap filler bit when the female presenter was asking Jose about an inter planetary manager. I mean WTF?

Krimson

• #6 •
Am I the only one who didn't mind that presenter? Okay she could not speak fluently enough and was generally a bit weird but I mean, you know... :whistle:

This weird bit about an intergalalctic football tournament taking place in space actually had me feeling for Jose. Absolute nonsense. Lol

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
There is no shame to be second best to someone who scored 51 goals and 22 assists in 50 games
There is no fairness or justice in coming second if you are a rightful winner.
Messi scored heaps of goals in a flat track league? Its the equivilant of giving the award to a Celtic striker, if that is the criteria.
If the honest criteria is about contribution to the team, to the game, to the supporters.....then its Virgils everytime.
How can you be best in Europe (UEFA) and second in the World (FIFA) with the same players competing.......
Its an injustice in a politically depraved and dysfunctional organisation.

Abdel

There is no fairness or justice in coming second if you are a rightful winner.
Messi scored heaps of goals in a flat track league? Its the equivilant of giving the award to a Celtic striker, if that is the criteria.
If the honest criteria is about contribution to the team, to the game, to the supporters.....then its Virgils everytime.
How can you be best in Europe (UEFA) and second in the World (FIFA) with the same players competing.......
Its an injustice in a politically depraved and dysfunctional organisation.
Cmon !. Are you seriously comparing Scotish league to La Liga ?
Messi was the top scorer in the champions league too , is this another flat track competition ?
Virgil came second to the best player of all time . no shame in that .

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Cmon !. Are you seriously comparing Scotish league to La Liga ?
Messi was the top scorer in the champions league too , is this another flat track competition ?
Virgil came second to the best player of all time . no shame in that .
Not comparing La Liga with Scotland, but the gulf between top and bottom is slmost as stark, relatively.
Regarding top scorer in CL, what about best ddfender in CL? Do the forwards always have to be rewarded? Or can we have a more global view of the game.
I think Messi is simply the best player I have ever seen, including Pele and Maradona. But last year Virgil has been the best player in the world, and being second doesnt do him justice.

Abdel

Not comparing La Liga with Scotland, but the gulf between top and bottom is slmost as stark, relatively.
Regarding top scorer in CL, what about best ddfender in CL? Do the forwards always have to be rewarded? Or can we have a more global view of the game.
I think Messi is simply the best player I have ever seen, including Pele and Maradona. But last year Virgil has been the best player in the world, and being second doesnt do him justice.
relatively, the contrast between the top and bottom of the PL table is equivalent also
as for defenders, it has always been the case with rare exceptions (Canavaro), people have always given the advantage to the attacking players, because more spectacular, in my opinion, it is necessary to separate the rewards, best goalkeeper, best defender, best midfielder, best striker etc...
I find that this year's award less scandalous than the year when Gerrard did not have the Ballon d'or
he clearly deserved it that year .

rockafella

TIA Squad Member
People complaining about Messi winning is down to the fact he scores 50+ every season. Everyone was (rightly) amazed at Salah's first season here (44 goal was it?) but because Messi does this every year it's taken for granted. Had Messi never previously scored more than 20 in a season then it would be a no-brainer for him to have won it this time with 50+ goals.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
People complaining about Messi winning is down to the fact he scores 50+ every season. Everyone was (rightly) amazed at Salah's first season here (44 goal was it?) but because Messi does this every year it's taken for granted. Had Messi never previously scored more than 20 in a season then it would be a no-brainer for him to have won it this time with 50+ goals.
I dont agree that the complaint is about him consistently winning. My complaint is that he was less influential over the year than VVD. Scoring 50 plus goals is phenomenal but what VVD achieved is above that. His value to his team was less than VVD, and his 50 goals have to be contextualised.
It seems the award is further tainted as some votes were deliberately not counted.
This is a sham organisation that only acts on money and corrupt politics.

Also, and this is not meant as insult, but why are you arguing against a Liverpool player being awarded on his own merits??

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
The UEFA, FIFA and Ballon D'Or awards all have their own voting systems, hence VVD wins the Uefa award over Messi, but Messi wins the FIFA over VVD.

The fact that FIFA didn't count Egypt's vote because of the capital letters scandal tells you what a joke FIFA still is.

Ballon D'Or is the big one (in my opinion) - hopefully the all the votes will be counted and independently verified.....

rockafella

TIA Squad Member
I dont agree that the complaint is about him consistently winning. My complaint is that he was less influential over the year than VVD. Scoring 50 plus goals is phenomenal but what VVD achieved is above that. His value to his team was less than VVD, and his 50 goals have to be contextualised.
It seems the award is further tainted as some votes were deliberately not counted.
This is a sham organisation that only acts on money and corrupt politics.

Also, and this is not meant as insult, but why are you arguing against a Liverpool player being awarded on his own merits??
Whilst I can hold my hands up and say I don't regularly watch Barcelona, when I have seen them it seems clear that they're now more of a one man team than ever before. I can also see that they've had a really poor start to the season and it coincides with Messi has been out injured.

I'm not against VVD being awarded it. I wanted him to win it and fully agree with him being incredibly influential and an awesome player. I was just pointing out the outrage of Messi winning it seems a bit ridiculous considering the guy hit over 50 goals, being CL top scorer and the stand out player for Barcelona. It's far from just voting for him for the sake of it (e.g. the way Marcelo somehow got into the team because he's the most memorable name to write down).

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
I was just pointing out the outrage of Messi winning it seems a bit ridiculous
Ok. Lets be clear. There is no outrage (me personally at least) in Messi winning it.

My outrage is in VVD not winning it.
I really hope that clarifies things.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Yet he plays in a League which acts as a huge funnel to the success of Barca and Real.. Easy to score 50+ goals when you are battering Levante 5-0 and getting a hattrick isn't it. Messi in the English League would not be doing the same numbers.

Messi is the 2nd greatest player I've seen (sorry fat Ronaldo was GOAT), but last season he was nowhere near as good as Van Dijk a player who lifted the Champions League (and beat Messi's Barca on route) whilst pushing Liverpool to one the best points haul in the most competetive league in the world ever.

Ignoring the fact several players have complained that their votes were completely incorrect.. No corruption there..

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Yet he plays in a League which acts as a huge funnel to the success of Barca and Real.. Easy to score 50+ goals when you are battering Levante 5-0 and getting a hattrick isn't it. Messi in the English League would not be doing the same numbers.

Messi is the 2nd greatest player I've seen (sorry fat Ronaldo was GOAT), but last season he was nowhere near as good as Van Dijk a player who lifted the Champions League (and beat Messi's Barca on route) whilst pushing Liverpool to one the best points haul in the most competetive league in the world ever.

Ignoring the fact several players have complained that their votes were completely incorrect.. No corruption there..
As they say....this!

JMac8

Could make an argument for Messi or VVD. I don’t understand why people care so much. It’s a team sport. I find these individual awards a bit plastic and naff. VVD has a CL medal. Ultimately that’s all that matters

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Could make an argument for Messi or VVD. I don’t understand why people care so much. It’s a team sport. I find these individual awards a bit plastic and naff. VVD has a CL medal. Ultimately that’s all that matters
It's not the award its the fact FIFA and it's ilk are a sespit of corruption and utter twattery.