• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Ballon d'Or 2019 - LFC players

lfc.8

Wait and see I guess. Unpopular opinion on this forum but Messi deserves it for me.

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
Wait and see I guess. Unpopular opinion on this forum but Messi deserves it for me.
He's won it 5 times. It would be nice if someone else in a different position like a defender who won it for once. It makes the Ballon d'or a farce!

He was rubbish in Champions league. Virgil was miles ahead in Champions league!

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
He's won it 5 times. It would be nice if someone else in a different position like a defender who won it for once. It makes the Ballon d'or a farce!

He was rubbish in Champions league. Virgil was miles ahead in Champions league!
100% agree with this.... and I also look at Jurgen's time with us as 2 distinctive parts. Pre VVD, and with VVD. And to me that says it all. What an impact he has made.

And not only has he done well with Holland, and obviously winning the Champions League and Super Cup with us - but what LFC has done in the most competitive league in the world (this season) and have the highest number of points of ALL of the biggest European Leagues - so he has helped us continue this momentum.

Messi has had a below par season for his own standards, and VVD wins it every time. But its all about who votes and how they are counted.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Putting my undying love for LFC aside, from a purely unbiased, football perspective, I don't know how anyone can say Messi "deserves" the award over Virgil for the past year. When you look at them both side by side and what they've achieved individually and what they've meant to their sides. VVD transformed the way Liverpool plays football, in the league and in Champions League. He was the missing piece to get this side to within one point of the league title, and to the UCL final win. Virgil made everyone around him better. That's what great players do. He was the absolute best player in the world last year.

Messi had a subpar year by his own standards and couldn't even get his side past LFC in UCL with a 4-1 aggregate boost. He continues to beat up on hilariously inept and weakened sides in a league that is really only competitive for 3, 4 teams tops. It's probably the worst league top to bottom in the entire world. These days it's not much better than MLS.

Having said all that, how does one really compare? It's a ridiculously subjective (often times bordering on stupid) award. Messi is proving to be a fragile ego these days so if it makes him feel better to pocket another award knowing he really doesn't deserve it, then he can have it.

RedSeven

On the one road
Attacking players are going to be preferred to defensive players more often in this. Maybe if VVD were to play in a weaker league like Messi has chosen to do he may score more goals and stand a better chance of winning the Ballon D'or, though I think he still wants to challenge himself so won't be retiring to that league any time soon.

RedSeven

On the one road
Messi won FIFA player of the tournament in the World Cup he has never won!
I am not disputing his genius talent, but it is getting ridiculous now.
He's never played well in international competitions, hasn't challenged a champions league final for 5 years and doesn't play in the most competitive league. I know he scores lots of goals but it seems most top forwards who go to Spain score a lot.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
I may have written this earlier already, but there are several factors which will contribute to Messi being chosen over VVD:
  • Attackers are almost always preferred to defenders. It's very seldom that an attacking player doesn't win it.
  • Ballon d'Or is French. As a result, there is a natural tendency for them to look first towards the Latin area: France, Italy, Spain. I don't say it's right or fair, but it's a fact. There are some obvious exceptions, but they are rare.
  • Messi scored 51 goals and made 22 assists last season. For him it's merely par of the course, but still... o_O
I know, he didn't win a trophy. But I don't think that anyone can complain too much if he gets it. It's an individual reward, not a collective one.

As VVD said himself, there can only be a winner, and there are no losers. It's no big deal, really.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
I may have written this earlier already, but there are several factors which will contribute to Messi being chosen over VVD:
  • Attackers are almost always preferred to defenders. It's very seldom that an attacking player doesn't win it.
  • Ballon d'Or is French. As a result, there is a natural tendency for them to look first towards the Latin area: France, Italy, Spain. I don't say it's right or fair, but it's a fact. There are some obvious exceptions, but they are rare.
  • Messi scored 51 goals and made 22 assists last season. For him it's merely par of the course, but still... o_O
I know, he didn't win a trophy. But I don't think that anyone can complain too much if he gets it. It's an individual reward, not a collective one.

As VVD said himself, there can only be a winner, and there are no losers. It's no big deal, really.
Sorry Hope but I disagree with you on this. I think it is a big deal. In my view VVD was the outstanding individual in an outstanding collective over the last year or longer. Messi is brilliant, no argument with that, but contribution to overall sucess made VVD the really outstanding player.
The fact that the trophy is decided in France shouldn't be relevant. As you suggest an element of bias exists but discerning judges should see beyond that.
VVD should win, if any fairness exists.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Messi is in the curious position of being one of the best players the world has ever seen and one of the most overrated.

There is a tendency to to think that because he is the best, then he he obviously must be the best all the time with no exception to that, and no point at which others can get close to him.

If the balon d’or was a rolling award to recognise, say, the last ten years of form an achievement the Messi would be the obvious and deserved winner. But as a yearly snapshot, there are 5-6 players more deserving.

He did his usual thing of blamming fifty goals past the utter shite in his domestic league. But he had a poor season by his standards and simply put the greatest player in the world does not have the absolute nightmare that he endured at Anfield, where the atmosphere and intensity made him look like an 18 year old rookie rather than a 34 year old veteran.

He isn’t the GOAT either. That would be Maradona, who actually turned up for a World Cup a couple of times.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Who really cares anyway? We're the team with the silverware that Messi really wants. We are the champions of Europe and soon to be champions of arguably the strongest league in the world. Makes us the best team in the world doesn't it? Virg must get more joy out of being a massive part of this brilliant team.

FGred

Not sure if it is true or not, but results of the Ballon d'Or have been leaked online. It was always going to be Messi wasn't it regardless of our Champions league win and VvD major part in the win.:(:rolleyes:.

It is a false leak designed to influence the voters the BBC Sports App took a poll today and VVD got 49% and Messi only 24%?

MW2833

Four of our lads are in the top ten. Bobby was 17th, Trent 19th and Gini 26th.

Weirdly Mahrez has made the top ten.

Rumours are Virgil will be second, Salah third and Messi will win it, which is a bit of a shame but is understandable.

Look at the beautiful bastard.
Same leak said that Hazard de Ligt and de Jong all finishing in top 10, so theres a chance its not true