Best Away Day?

Joe Gomez x

My first and only away day as a Liverpool supporter was against West Ham and it must have been in the early 80’s. I was too young to remember anything about the match apart from the fact we were in the home section. Only part I could have an recollection of was West Ham fans chasing a few reds supporters up a street while fighting and my father hailing a taxi to get me and my younger brother away Quickly. Terrifying place from what I recall but as it’s my only away day it’s my best.

Any story’s from the more hardcore reds on the site to give a few people a good read on some memorable away days??

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Got a few good ones following Aus.

Most memorable is probably in 2013 when we played Romania in Malaga - was a last minute game when their original opponents pulled out so Aus stepped in last minute. Game was played at the smaller ground - about 20 minutes outside of Malaga, 3 of us flew over from London and were the only Aussies there. Got lost trying to leave and ended up walking through to the team buses and managed to blag a lift back into town on the team bus.

Also loved Uzbekistan away in 2008 - right bastard of a trip to get there and such a different way of life was a real eye opener but the people were absolutely brilliant

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I missed it, but a few mates did Bishkek for Kyrgystan away a couple of years back, and if their stories are to be believed, it was apparently like travelling back to the days of the wild west - just complete mayhem and totaly disregard for anything that would normally be considered sane.

Red Submarine

We've won the fucking lot.
The only away game I've been to was the CL semi-final 2nd leg at the Emptihad. I went to the home leg with my nephew and we both agreed that we had to be there for the sequel. Well, no way we could get tickets for the away end so needs must and we bought pitch-side for face value amongst the loonies :) While we were queuing to get in we had to listen to all the usual bullshit about how this guy was going to find a scouser to stab after the game and how dippers have "no class" (this coming from some knob swigging a can of Stella and bumping into me every few seconds). That part of it, and having to sit on our hands the whole game, was excruciating but what a night! As soon as we got in the cab after the match we both started laughing and celebrating! Straight into town and finished the night with a curry at the mighty 'Akbars'. Good times :)(y)

Commando

Ad-free Member
The only away game I've been to was the CL semi-final 2nd leg at the Emptihad. I went to the home leg with my nephew and we both agreed that we had to be there for the sequel. Well, no way we could get tickets for the away end so needs must and we bought pitch-side for face value amongst the loonies :) While we were queuing to get in we had to listen to all the usual bullshit about how this guy was going to find a scouser to stab after the game and how dippers have "no class" (this coming from some knob swigging a can of Stella and bumping into me every few seconds). That part of it, and having to sit on our hands the whole game, was excruciating but what a night! As soon as we got in the cab after the match we both started laughing and celebrating! Straight into town and finished the night with a curry at the mighty 'Akbars'. Good times :)(y)
I was at that game as well. Sat in the third tier of the end right next to our fans. There was Mrs CDO and our eldest Grandaughter supporting Citoil and our eldest Grandson and my self obviously supporting (sat on our hands) the Reds. When Mo scored my Grandson nudged me and smiled. I just shook my head towards him. I know from sitting with Mrs CDO at Citoil matches just how vile their fans can be. Out of respect for Mrs CDO and Our Grandaughter I didn’t celebrate too heartily on the way home. But inside I was bouncing.

As to my best away day, it has to be Wolves away for the title in 1976. There was so much riding on that match. The title for us and relegation or another season in the top flight for Wolves. I bunked of school on the afternoon of the game and went down the A41 to Wolves in a Hillman Imp which belonged to the older friend of a classmate who drove us there. Two other classmates joined us just to make it nice and snug in a motor that made Minis look spacious.
We arrived early afternoon and it was already chocker with Reds. The crush to get in was frightening and I was being crushed and in fear of passing out. Then one of the massive gates that they open at full time broke away from its bottom hinges. Fans started ducking underneath and the pressure eased. As I got to the gap under the gate I ducked under fearful that the top hinges might go and the whole thing come crashing down. As I went under I could see the lower legs of a row of policemen. I thought they might be there to keep us out but they were pulling us through and telling us to make our way down to the terracing. The terrace were packed out in double quick time (I believe that the police had all of the exit gates opened to ease the crush). Wolves scored first and then we scored three in reply ensuring us the title. When the third was scored late on our fans ran on to the field and I think the ref blew up early. I snagged myself a piece of turf and replanted it in our front garden the next day.
The next morning all the lads in our year brought notes in from Our Mum’s to explain that Young Commando, or Tommy or Billy had been ill the previous afternoon. :geek: