• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Bob Paisley

Celtic Dragon

TIA's Tusken Druid
He left on the high, and he left the club where we are still at our peak. Unlike Ferguson who left the club and went spiral down till today.

Like Paisley, Pep Guardiola did not leave the club he managed in a mess. Hence why I have a lot more respect for the Spaniard than the likes of Mourinho who usually leave with skidmarks to show for.
Can't argue with that mate. Bob was there behind the scenes still, after he stepped down and Fagan took over. And even when Fagan handed over to King Kenny, he was there, almost as a second assistant manager for Dalgliesh to turn to. Kenny was still wet behind the ears as far as management went, and Bob was there for him whenever needed. He was still helping steer the ship from the boardroom for those first couple years of Kenny's management.

If he hadn't fallen ill, and had still been there when Souness took over, I have no doubt he'd have been a calming influence on him as well, and we'd have just carried on as normal. Souness loved and respected Bob as a player, so if he'd been able to have Paisley's ear as Kenny had, he may not have made some of the stupid decisions he did.

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !

this ones been around for a while, but is better in terms of footie contant, but the "this is your life" video, shows a lot about his private life more, and what an incredibly hard job he had working in the shadow of Shankly. As he said himself, 9/10 would have failed, but he not only followed him, he actually took the team to the next level... best trainer I have ever seen. We used to wipe the floor in the league, and teams said we played "continental". All Bob`s tactics, and incredible transfers !!

Last edited:

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
This is a thread screaming out for newbie fans to come in and read them articles, listen and watch those videos and interviews.... also take time to Google up the great Shankly read about him, even better if newbies could buy their books and read them. Then and only then they will understand who we are and not going round and round asking silly questions, posting silly remarks and climbing up that wooden high horse of theirs at times... yes this is pointing to you @Dortmund fan!!!!

treboeth

Eddie if we could also show This Is Your Life to all the reality show producers so they can realise people who should be on TV have actually done something and especially in Bob`s case have so much humility.
I watched that and all of the guests have so much respect for him and each other it embarrasses me how far we have fallen

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
http://liverpoolfc.wikia.com/wiki/Bob_Paisley/Transfers

Paisleys transfers..
What immediately strikes me is how little he spent ! and the income from sales.

And, he built or changed the team slowly, and each buy was a future international. His big "new" player in the first season was Ray Kennedy. Bought by Shanks as a striker, Paisley saw what others didnt. He put him in midfield and he became our most feared player! But Phil neal in his first season who became possible the most decorated player in our history !! and scored in at least 2 Euro finals !

Pkus people forget how big Kevin Keegan was. He was the only palyer I can remember who was in an advert on TV. It was a huge hole when he left. It would be lke Gerrard leaving (in 2010 say). But in Dalglish they amazingly when one better !! Different type of player, but he was the complete player. But thats all Paisley`s work !

There are a few no names there, but, it was LFC policy to take a chance of a cheap sale e.g.. David West 15,- , Bob Wardel swapped, Money 50,- ... however, some of those gambles worked handsomely : Whelan free !, Beglin 20,- Neal 66,- Hansen 100,- .....

In the sales you can also see how he slowly replaced Shanks last team, and built that 76/77/78 team that conqeured Europe ! happy days ! (For Geebo anyway !!!!!)

GCormskirk

I know this comment will hint at how old I am. What a debt we owe to Bob and Shanks for creating the wonderful Liverpool FC Story. I can remember going to the match with my father in the 2nd Division days pre Shanks. The most significant memory for me is standing in the stadium in Rome following our 1st European Cup victory and reflecting my thoughts back to 1962 and being in Anfield when promotion to the then 1st Division was achieved. Thanks so much Bob and Shanks for that, and all that followed.

Commando

Ad-free Member
Brilliant, am I the only one who finds the respect from Busby awesome in light of the crap some moanagers spout these days.
When men were men and LFC ruled :)
I remember seeing a clip just after City won the league in 2012. It was a clip from 1968, the last time City had won the league. I think it was David Coleman in the studio talking to Joe Mercer who was still at the ground. After congratulating him he says to him "Joe I have a friend of yours here who wants a word. Matt Busby comes on and congratulates Joe Mercer and Man City. They exchanged some nice words and then Mercer wished Busby and Utd well in their upcoming European Cup Final. Such a change from today's incumbents Pep and Moaner.