• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Bobby Duncan (FW) to Fiorentina

Status
Not open for further replies.

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
Wow ! not sure for a player his age, going to Fiorentina from the Reserves is a good idea. Huge challenge. If LFC offered a contract and wanted to keep him, then I assume they think this is a bad idea.
Agent or Player? someone has probably turned his head. Didnt he come from Man C to LFC? Then he isnt very settled, and that could go badly for him... Huge Potential is not same as first 11 player, and players with bigger potential than Bobby have made bad decisions at a young age.

denos666

TIA First Team
You have to wonder where the parents were in all this. Does anyone in that family realistically expect him to be in the first team squad of a team that are European champions and finished runners up in their league?

He's been very badly advised and whilst seemingly talented can't realistically say he should be ahead of origi and shaikiri, let alone firmino, salah and mane. Brewster's not even made an appearance yet and he's higher rated.

Just odd but I can't say I'm disappointed at him going. He may turn out to be a superstar but it's doubtful and if he has the ego he seems to have from the outside looking in, then I'm happy to get rid.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
There’s always more to the story

I wish him all the best, it must be the finest of lines between being right and wrong when backing yourself and having enough self belief to ignore the noise.

He needs to dump his agent though, maybe rubie did get the move, but he’s put Duncan in a prick of a position if it doesn’t work out in Italy. Smells more of Duncan getting a move away from the wrong club (us) than Duncan getting the move to the right club.

Good luck to him and good luck to us.

Furthermore, if the inference that Duncan is suffering mental health issues is founded in some truth, I hope he finds the correct support. Money is no insulation to those difficulties and doing the ‘wrong thing’ by a football club I happen to support doesn’t make me wish him a failed career or worse.
I fear this will turn out very badly for him, particularly if there are mental health issues involved. Going to a new language environment is going to be incredibly isolating. Fiorentina is not the best run of clubs, and he will not likely get much support.

PaulRoJo

Supporter since 1990 still waiting for the league
Good riddance! Given he caused issues at citeh and we got him for 200k, 1.8m is a great price after 12 months for a lad who at 18 years old was unwilling to wait, learn and develop at the European Champions and his 'boyhood club'.

macca1970

He's young and at an age where with a modicum of effort, he should be able to pick up the language. What he shouldn't do is just live in a bubble, speaking only in English, and running to his agent every night to help him with everyday mundane things.

Get his head down, work hard, try to break into the first team squad, and aim to make a few sub apearances. Won't be surprised if Fiorentina loans him out to a different Italian club for the first two years.

Seems that this kid has been badly advised. But he has to take some responsibilty for himself. Two instances of forcing his way out of clubs, and still a teenager who only turned 18 a few months back.

Redsi73

Probably best all round really.

Maybe he's been badly managed by his agent/family? however don't throw all the blame that way, the kid has a brain and is an adult.

18 is a very young age to move abroad and try to make an impact in a country where he has to learn a new language, a new playstyle and a whole new way of life.

Why would he leave LFC if an offer was on the table ( if there was one )? Perhaps he thinks he should be on the cusp of the first team and wasn't getting the chances he deserved, unlikely we will ever know.

Red over the water

I don’t for one second believe the mental health claim. I think it was a frustrated player, wanting to play, being way too impatient, and possibly starting to realize that he isn’t as good as he had hoped. Mental health is a serious issue, and I am thankful for the increased awareness in recent years. We are in a much better place with that these days, but even so, it has to be proper diagnosed stuff (not that we know one way or the other) with a course of treatment under a doctor/therapist - medication/counseling/CBT etc.

IF that’s what it is, then I hope Duncan gets the help he needs. He might struggle on that front in a new country and with a new language and so on. But I believe, looking at his track record, that it is entitlement and bad character more than anything else. He has shown no propensity to work hard and improve his standing at the club. He’s at the European Champions! World class set up from top to bottom. What an opportunity. But no, this lad didn’t want to know. After just one year he decided it all looked a bit too hard, so he has stomped his foot and got his move. Again.

As for the club, I had hoped we’d just put our foot down on this one and assert our authority, so the player would have to fall in line. I really do think that would have been better for his development, not just as a player but also as a man. And if he wasn’t near the first team squad as his contract neared it’s end, fine, he moves on with our blessing. But he forced it, way too soon.

I can understand letting him go though, as the hassle is not worth it, and harmony is very important.

Bobby Duncan is not a dastardly villain or the world’s worst man, but the Liverpool family is very big indeed, and now this fella is held in low regard by many millions of people around the world. And when you add in the City fans, it’s at least a few more thousand!

Not a good move fella. I don’t think he will make it, but we’ll see.

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
Duncan is a young player who thinks he’s much better than he actually is. I think he”s been very badly advised over this move and it will all end in tears. Florence is a beautiful city but he will need to learn the language and judging him on his recent behaviour, I don’t believe he’s got the intelligence to do that.
The lad seems to have a bad attitude, so it’s a good thing we’re moving him on quickly. Good riddance I say. Loser!!

fspencer

Duncan is a young player who thinks he’s much better than he actually is. I think he”s been very badly advised over this move and it will all end in tears. Florence is a beautiful city but he will need to learn the language and judging him on his recent behaviour, I don’t believe he’s got the intelligence to do that.
The lad seems to have a bad attitude, so it’s a good thing we’re moving him on quickly. Good riddance I say. Loser!!
Perhaps he feels there is too much competition with Frimino , Orgi , Brewster + Mane , salah and shaq . When he signed it didn't look like Origi was going to stay and Brewster was rumoured to be looking abroad . Solanke wasn't pulling up trees and Sturridge was an enigma .

He might want to play and he's looked @ Ryan Kent , Ojo and Wilson not being able to get a real sniff of a chance and decided it's better to move on rather than his self confidence suffer .

good luck to him. It's not what i'd do personally but then i'm not in his situation.

edit: I'd also like to add that being Stevie Gee cousin cannot be easy . It's kind of inevitable that playing for Liverpool he's going to be judged on someone else's standards .

There could be some mental anguish there . People might be taking digs at him for not being in the first team already . He might need to grow up out of that incessant spotlight .

Last edited:

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Perhaps he feels there is too much competition with Frimino , Orgi , Brewster + Mane , salah and shaq . When he signed it didn't look like Origi was going to stay and Brewster was rumoured to be looking abroad . Solanke wasn't pulling up trees and Sturridge was an enigma .

He might want to play and he's looked @ Ryan Kent , Ojo and Wilson not being able to get a real sniff of a chance and decided it's better to move on rather than his self confidence suffer .

good luck to him. It's not what i'd do personally but then i'm not in his situation.

edit: I'd also like to add that being Stevie Gee cousin cannot be easy . It's kind of inevitable that playing for Liverpool he's going to be judged on someone else's standards .

There could be some mental anguish there . People might be taking digs at him for not being in the first team already . He might need to grow up out of that incessant spotlight .
I think Brewster agreed his new contract before Duncan joined.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
The list of young prospects who never make it is massive. I'd be shocked if a move to Italy proves to be the best course of action. Very few senior english players have had successful careers in mainland Europe so the chance of a 18yr old making it is minimal.
My hunch is the Sancho deal (worth 100M+ now) has turned the greedy eyes of agents towards the continent with the hope of lining their pockets when the player returns. All they have to do is get one right and they are set for life.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
The list of young prospects who never make it is massive. I'd be shocked if a move to Italy proves to be the best course of action. Very few senior english players have had successful careers in mainland Europe so the chance of a 18yr old making it is minimal.
My hunch is the Sancho deal (worth 100M+ now) has turned the greedy eyes of agents towards the continent with the hope of lining their pockets when the player returns. All they have to do is get one right and they are set for life.
Presumably, there is a view that players can always get a decent pay day to come back to the UK if it doesnt work out abroad. No doubt the buying club probably think similar given transfer fees in England.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Presumably, there is a view that players can always get a decent pay day to come back to the UK if it doesnt work out abroad. No doubt the buying club probably think similar given transfer fees in England.
For sure mate. You can bet the Agent and Club will be hoping his career mirrors that of Sancho and in a season or two they can flog him back to the PL for an astronomical fee. It seems a bit seedy when you say it like that but thats the nature of the game and if Liverpool did the reverse with an Italian youngster Edwards and the club would be hero's.

W00die

Ad-free Member
He might think that come November he'd never be good enough to get a work permit to work in the EU so now's the only chance he'll get. No idea if he's any good or not but to leave Man C and then us probably indicates he doesn't think he's that great. Still that's another ~ £1.5m for the Mbappe fund!

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
he signed on the 1st July 18 and Brewster signed on the 17th July 18 but i'd hazard a guess that BD deal was in place long before the 1st July 18
It was no secret we were doing everything we could to keep Brewster and get him to sign a new contract. This article says that we had successfully got him to agree a new deal prior to Duncan signing. Duncan may very well have had a deal in place before that agtreement was obtained - but he should laready have known about our feelings on Brewster and upon signing his own deal, what the position was on Brewster.

fspencer

It was no secret we were doing everything we could to keep Brewster and get him to sign a new contract. This article says that we had successfully got him to agree a new deal prior to Duncan signing. Duncan may very well have had a deal in place before that agtreement was obtained - but he should laready have known about our feelings on Brewster and upon signing his own deal, what the position was on Brewster.

3 players Firmino , Brewster , Duncan is still okay in my view but then when you stick Orgii in the mix - being 4th choice means your fist team chances are practically zero without some very unfortunate circumstances happening with those in front of you .

Brewster/Origi could have gone (one of ) was mainly my point and that opens up a path . Unfortunately for Duncan they have both ended up staying . Bearing in mind that Mane and Salah aren't going to be dropped then you have 3 players fighting for a spot on the bench .

A loan deal might have been better but often loan players don't get guaranteed to start and He might have gone out on loan and barely kicked a ball. Now it seems Fiorentina are paying for him he's going to be treated as a player they can potentially build around .

Noo Noo

Sounds like we've let him go to me. Purely because of his and his agents antics. I'm pretty sure we would have preferred to keep hold of him and develop the player more than we have done.

I still find it strange that a young man with alleged mental issues is prepared to chance his arm in a foreign country where there will be language issues and a completely different culture to contend with. At Liverpool he was basically near family and friends.

I wish him well but part of me cant see this move working out for him. Maybe he proves me wrong?

It was obviously bollox so he could get his move which is just plain nasty.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
So he was in mental anguish by our supposed bullying but thinks he is mentally ready to play in a good team in an unforgiving league of demanding fans. But well good luck to him, again no grudges against those who leave but there are bridges being burnt here.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
So he was in mental anguish by our supposed bullying but thinks he is mentally ready to play in a good team in an unforgiving league of demanding fans. But well good luck to him, again no grudges against those who leave but there are bridges being burnt here.
Behind established players.. Imagine leaving your boyhood team where your legendary cousin once graced the hallowed turf to sit in the reserves.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Funny how he couldn't leave his room for 4 days to play for us but can fly out to Italy and sign a £500k a year contract with Fiorentina,he looked fine in the contract signing photo with the fiorentina representative.

Red Submarine

SIX, and counting.
He's just a kid. He's got stuff to learn. His agent has pissed all over his kebab so he has stuff to learn too, though he might be more difficult to guide even if anyone can be arsed. It's worked out well for all involved so hats off. Onwards!

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Bet the 'Everybody at the club wishes Bobby the best of luck in his future career‘ part wouldn’t be there if this wasn’t Stevie’s cousin.
Somehow I doubt they're close at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.