• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Bobby Duncan - Real Issues or Ill advised ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers

While mental health is nothing to joke about and ought to be taken seriously , the Agent of Bobby Duncan burning bridges with Liverpool doesn't help too. My take is if he wants to go that bad , then let him go. Talented as he is , there's no point in keeping an unhappy player.

SithBaare

Also not sure an agent should be posting this about his own player

‘There has been a lot of things said the last few weeks regarding Bobby Duncan’s future at Liverpool.‘And today [Wednesday] is the final straw of the behaviour and dealing of Liverpool sporting director Michael Edwards.‘A few months ago before the end of last season, Bobby had meetings with the club’s hierarchy including academy director Alex Inglethorpe.‘It was recognised that Bobby wasn’t happy at Liverpool for different reasons and Alex invited us to bring offers to the club for the exit of Bobby Duncan.‘For a player with zero first team experience, no clubs were prepared to pay an outright reasonable fee for a player they got for £200,000 last summer.‘With that in mind we have been able to find clubs that were ready to take Bobby on a season-long loan with a option to buy for amounts of £1.5million upwards which is a great return for the club on a player who will never play for the Liverpool first team and who doesn’t want to be there."

redalways

TIA Regular
Also not sure an agent should be posting this about his own player

‘There has been a lot of things said the last few weeks regarding Bobby Duncan’s future at Liverpool.‘And today [Wednesday] is the final straw of the behaviour and dealing of Liverpool sporting director Michael Edwards.‘A few months ago before the end of last season, Bobby had meetings with the club’s hierarchy including academy director Alex Inglethorpe.‘It was recognised that Bobby wasn’t happy at Liverpool for different reasons and Alex invited us to bring offers to the club for the exit of Bobby Duncan.‘For a player with zero first team experience, no clubs were prepared to pay an outright reasonable fee for a player they got for £200,000 last summer.‘With that in mind we have been able to find clubs that were ready to take Bobby on a season-long loan with a option to buy for amounts of £1.5million upwards which is a great return for the club on a player who will never play for the Liverpool first team and who doesn’t want to be there."
As someone pointed out somewhere else, it's a bit illogical for someone with supposed mental health issues to be moving to a different country, with additional language barriers to boot.

I smell a rat, and the rat is the agent.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
18 years old, moving to his “dream” club, now wants to leave. According to agent, mental health issues. I think he should take some time off, the profession you have chosen will become more challenging over the years, especially with this type of agent attempting to get his pound of flesh, under the guise of your best interests.

If you do indeed have mental health issues, do you think it will be harder or easier when you are away from family and friends?

You are young enough to become successful, there should be no panic and rush to get to first team football before you are 19.

Take a look at the players in all teams, that make it to the first team, their agents don't behave like this before they are in the first team. At least not in such a public manner. They might start behaving like this once you are established. Now take a look at the players that use the strategy you are currently involved in, where are they now? Do a percentage count, if this strategy works 1 to 10% of the time, is it worth the risk of your career.

From a Liverpool perspective, just leave, we don’t need these types of player/player agents. From a humane perspective, stay, learn, work hard, work on your mental health, and lose that fucking agent.

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
I know that.

I was just joking and asking if Duncan’s agent is the cousin of Aidy Ward (who is the agent of Raheem Sterling who also pushed his client out of our club).
Sorry, my head is all over the place, I am trying to keep up with current political situation as well as this unnecessary distraction as well.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
I know that.

I was just joking and asking if Duncan’s agent is the cousin of Aidy Ward (who is the agent of Raheem Sterling who also pushed his client out of our club).
I also get that its a joke, joking aside I think there is a HUGE difference is the players mentioned. Sterling was an established Liverpool player, came through the academy ranks, made the most of it, deserved to get into the first team, did exceptionally well in the first team, full international (I think). At this stage his agent started being a public dickhead. Duncan has done absolutely nothing in comparison. His agent has no comprehensible right to act like this, on behalf of the player. If you are happy with the agent behaving like this, at this time of your career, then you get what you deserve, and its not going to be good.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
An agent's job, first and foremost, is to serve the interests of his client. If Bobby doesn't want his agent agitating for a move publicly - likely after doing so privately and being rebuffed - he should say so and/or fire him. If he does neither, then you can only assume he is doing Bobby's bidding.

This will all come to a head when the European window closes, and my guess is that his agent is trying to burn down some bridges as the deadline rapidly approaches in order to convince the club to sell him.

Last edited:

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
If Bobby knows of the sort of shit that his agent has posted on twitter and has seen and is happy with the amateur hour representation that he's coming out with now then I can only assume that Bobby is just as much of a tool as his agent and we'd probably be better just letting him go as soon as possible.

If he hasn't sacked him by the end of the day then clearly Bobby and his family have only one interest and it starts with a £

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
An agent's job, first and foremost, is to serve the interests of his client. If Bobby doesn't want his agent agitating for a move publicly - likely after doing so privately and being rebuffed - he should say so and/or fire him. If he does neither, then you can only assume he is doing Bobby's bidding.

This will all come to a head when the European window closes, and my guess is the bridges that his agent is trying to burn down some bridges as the deadline rapidly approaches in order to convince the club to sell him.
If it's about forcing a move how does this make his client more attractive to any potential club?

If it's about mental health how does the public exposure of these issues serve his client's well-being?

If it's about wages - who acted for him when he moved to Liverpool?

If, as he claims, other clubs have offered him exactly the same (low) wages, what's his beef with Liverpool? If it's not about wages (as he subsequently claims) why mention it repeatedly?

If he claims he's been insulted by Edwards why is it that he hasn't dealt directly with him?

If you're going to suggest someone lacks knowledge about various players, don't fuck up the only fact you cite in support.

This guy's done. It's so bad it could be an audition for Love Island.

SithBaare

The bastion of integrity Wayne Rooney according to this page. Also interestingly Jack Butland who there was an article somewhere last week about his manager concerns about his mental state and trying to push for a move abroad before the window shuts.
Not a bad list of clients. How can it be possible for someone who's been in the job for that amount of time to suddenly get so dumb ?

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
If it's about forcing a move how does this make his client more attractive to any potential club?

If it's about mental health how does the public exposure of these issues serve his client's well-being?

If it's about wages - who acted for him when he moved to Liverpool?

If, as he claims, other clubs have offered him exactly the same (low) wages, what's his beef with Liverpool? If it's not about wages (as he subsequently claims) why mention it repeatedly?

If he claims he's been insulted by Edwards why is it that he hasn't dealt directly with him?

If you're going to suggest someone lacks knowledge about various players, don't fuck up the only fact you cite in support.

This guy's done. It's so bad it could be an audition for Love Island.
To your first question - clubs who want to buy a player don't generally care very much if that player burns bridges at their club in order to facilitate a sale, as has been proven time and time and time and time again. If by agitating for a move publicly, Liverpool relents and sells Bobby to them, it'll all have been worth it from their perspective.

As to the other questions, I'm not sure how to answer them as I'm not privy to the behind-the-scenes issues. My point is that everyone is bashing the agent here when Bobby is the one who employs him. If Bobby doesn't want his agent making a mess in the press, he should be an adult and do something about it. Fire him. Tell him to shut his mouth. Otherwise, I'm going to assume that he is sanctioning his agent's public tantrum as a means to a move elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.