• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Bobby Duncan - Real Issues or Ill advised ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
But you didn't, you apologised for the unintended perception. Apologizing for offending someone would read like "I apologize for offending you".
You cant say anything in today's world without upsetting someone or them taking it the wrong and if you are offended by this I dont care

James H

"One word: Thundercougarfalconbird"
Ad-free Member
You cant say anything in today's world without upsetting someone or them taking it the wrong and if you are offended by this I dont care
Pointing out a hypocrisy doesn't equate to being offended.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
There's also the element of not just what he himself might feel entitled to but also the pressure that he might feel others expect of him. His immediate family and mates - they all think he's going to be this massive superstar on the level of Gerrard. After all, they share the same DNA, it's his destiny. Having to adjust not only to his own expectations as to where his career might be headed but also to the feeling that he's failing to meet the expectations others have for him, that could prove pretty weighty on a young lads shoulders.
I remember an interview on the Anfield Wrap with a bloke who had written a book on youth football, describing the pressure these kids a put under or put themselves under. Often it’s that their families sacrifice so much so they have this guilt and pressure bearing down on them. There was one story of a kid on the books of a top six club crying himself to sleep every night, crumbling under the pressure of needing to make it so badly, but knowing deep down he probably wouldn’t.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
This just go shows how powerfull we let these agents become in this game. This nobody thinks he can just call Liverpool Fc out like that, just because he can't get his way...wtf!

I hope the club never works with this guy and "his" players again. As a fact I would love it if all EPL clubs got together and started to oust these scumbag agents by blacklisting all their players. The players will flee these fake F's in no time once they realize EPL is no go.

liver1

The funny thing is that this kid thinks he's Neymar trying to force through a move. I hope we send him to the danish club who are interested in him.

One thing is for sure though - he doesn't have the right attitude to make it at Liverpool.

MinniMo

This just go shows how powerfull we let these agents become in this game. This nobody thinks he can just call Liverpool Fc out like that, just because he can't get his way...wtf!

I hope the club never works with this guy and "his" players again. As a fact I would love it if all EPL clubs got together and started to oust these scumbag agents by blacklisting all their players. The players will flee these fake F's in no time once they realize EPL is no go.
The one and only reason these rotten 'agents' are doing what they do is £$£$£$'s, end of. They have no care or thought for their 'often' young players, and it's high time a controlling body was bought in that all agents had to be members of - and held to account. It's sickening that young lads can be picked up by just about anyone and basically abused for nothing other than easy money. There has to be Rules and Regs laid down, and all this needs doing asap.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
The one and only reason these rotten 'agents' are doing what they do is £$£$£$'s, end of. They have no care or thought for their 'often' young players, and it's high time a controlling body was bought in that all agents had to be members of - and held to account. It's sickening that young lads can be picked up by just about anyone and basically abused for nothing other than easy money. There has to be Rules and Regs laid down, and all this needs doing asap.
The sad thing is that there used to be. FIFA, in its wisdom, decided to get rid of it despite fervent warnings (and legal action) from nearly all stakeholders (I had a good chat with Mel Stein about it...must be about 5/6 years ago...he was probably the most prominent and passionate advocate against the change). I posted something about it at the time.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
To add to what @Kopstar was saying, I know of a player who used to be in our youth ranks a few seasons ago.

At that time he was rated as the 2nd or 3rd best player in the country, in his position in his age range. Which to a 14 or 15 year old probably equates to somebody telling you that you're guaranteed to make it at the top level.

He's now 17 or 18 and playing on loan (not from us, he was released a year ago i think) in the 9th tier of the pyramid.

I can only imagine how much that sort of thing messes with a kids mind. The pressure, the disappointment etc. None of it is helped by having sketchy agents/representatives like Rubie. There should be something better in place to protect youth players and provide support when required. And a process by which people like Rubie can be blacklisted from working in football.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
I don't think we should err on the side of absolving Duncan of any responsibility in this. Even an agent as obviously shady and inept as Rubie wouldn't act without at least his client's consent and probably even instigation - evidenced by Duncan's initial support of the original statement on his own twitter. He only deleted that when it subsequently blew up in his agent's face. He then deleted all LFC-related stuff from said twitter, and yesterday posted (and subsequently deleted) a post saying "I just want to play football!".

It doesn't scream of a young man being railroaded by an agent, or one who regrets what happened a couple of days ago after the furore that followed.

While stories of young players that have suffered mentally and emotionally in the struggle to make a breakthrough in the industry are obviously poignant, I'm not sure it applies in this case. It feels more like a young player who wants to trade on his reputation as Gerrard's cousin to shortcut his way to the top, and is probably a bit resentful of his City youth contemporaries like Sancho going on to flourish like they have. He wants it all now and doesn't appear to want to work for it.

Mascot88

Admin
I don't think we should err on the side of absolving Duncan of any responsibility in this. Even an agent as obviously shady and inept as Rubie wouldn't act without at least his client's consent and probably even instigation - evidenced by Duncan's initial support of the original statement on his own twitter. He only deleted that when it subsequently blew up in his agent's face. He then deleted all LFC-related stuff from said twitter, and yesterday posted (and subsequently deleted) a post saying "I just want to play football!".

It doesn't scream of a young man being railroaded by an agent, or one who regrets what happened a couple of days ago after the furore that followed.

While stories of young players that have suffered mentally and emotionally in the struggle to make a breakthrough in the industry are obviously poignant, I'm not sure it applies in this case. It feels more like a young player who wants to trade on his reputation as Gerrard's cousin to shortcut his way to the top, and is probably a bit resentful of his City youth contemporaries like Sancho going on to flourish like they have. He wants it all now and doesn't appear to want to work for it.
I think about what an idiot I was at 18, and feel lucky I only made an absolute tit of myself in private and among a small group of friends.

Limiescouse

I feel so sorry for the poor boy. He is caught in the middle. I bet he is scared and confused. He needs an arm round him and some good well wishers and sincere advisors around him to get him back on track.
It is very easy to say that he should speak out against his agent, and the fact he hasnt means his is driving this, or is at least complicit. And to the degree he is an adult, there is a share of the blame he has to take. However, we all need to understand what the relationship is like between a player and an agent. They hire these people because this is a landscape they are unable to navigate by themselves. If your agent does something that makes you uncomfortable, but claims to be working towards the end you want to achieve, what are you going to do? You do not hire a lawyer and then plan your own defense strategy. You hire a lawyer and then let them lawyer. Likewise with agents. The player is really only going to step in when the suspect the agent is working to a resolution the player doesnt want. Almost never are they going to do it due to the strategy being used and I dont think it is fair, especially with young men who havent been through this before, to expect them to be able to do that.

Mascot88

Admin
Lads, this seems like a bit of a misunderstanding. Kopstar clear didn’t mean to insult Eddie, and then apologised regardless. Shall we drop it and move on?

Limiescouse

The sad thing is that there used to be. FIFA, in its wisdom, decided to get rid of it despite fervent warnings (and legal action) from nearly all stakeholders (I had a good chat with Mel Stein about it...must be about 5/6 years ago...he was probably the most prominent and passionate advocate against the change). I posted something about it at the time.
The problem is it is a position that is seen as self-serving. The reality is the people in the profession who do it properly are the ones who understand the complications and are the ones best suited to evaluating the actual impact to proposed changes to regulations. We're all just so cynical these days that we collectively interpret any such comment is automatically self-serving.

Mascot88

Admin
It is very easy to say that he should speak out against his agent, and the fact he hasnt means his is driving this, or is at least complicit. And to the degree he is an adult, there is a share of the blame he has to take. However, we all need to understand what the relationship is like between a player and an agent. They hire these people because this is a landscape they are unable to navigate by themselves. If your agent does something that makes you uncomfortable, but claims to be working towards the end you want to achieve, what are you going to do? You do not hire a lawyer and then plan your own defense strategy. You hire a lawyer and then let them lawyer. Likewise with agents. The player is really only going to step in when the suspect the agent is working to a resolution the player doesnt want. Almost never are they going to do it due to the strategy being used and I dont think it is fair, especially with young men who havent been through this before, to expect them to be able to do that.
Chill out, Bobby. I know what I’m doing. And yeah getting absolutely destroyed on Twitter is part of the strategy.

Sweeting

To add to what @Kopstar was saying, I know of a player who used to be in our youth ranks a few seasons ago.

At that time he was rated as the 2nd or 3rd best player in the country, in his position in his age range. Which to a 14 or 15 year old probably equates to somebody telling you that you're guaranteed to make it at the top level.

He's now 17 or 18 and playing on loan (not from us, he was released a year ago i think) in the 9th tier of the pyramid.

I can only imagine how much that sort of thing messes with a kids mind. The pressure, the disappointment etc. None of it is helped by having sketchy agents/representatives like Rubie. There should be something better in place to protect youth players and provide support when required. And a process by which people like Rubie can be blacklisted from working in football.
I assume I know who you mean and I think he is still considered a talent. He's at a club with a good tradition of bringing through youth players also (his parent club, not the loan one).

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
Chill out, Bobby. I know what I’m doing. And yeah getting absolutely destroyed on Twitter is part of the strategy.
When I was a teenager, I made loads of mistakes and was gullible at times to believe people who were less scrupulous.The boy deserves a chance and a say from his side if he chooses to do so, but better in private as the general public will see different angles of the story

Last edited:

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
The problem is it is a position that is seen as self-serving. The reality is the people in the profession who do it properly are the ones who understand the complications and are the ones best suited to evaluating the actual impact to proposed changes to regulations. We're all just so cynical these days that we collectively interpret any such comment is automatically self-serving.
Yeah, that was precisely the charge Stein had to counter when he addressed the room of delegates. It was an obvious one because one of his arguments was that FIFA were immediately making him and all other licensed agents unemployed (a necessary argument for the European Courts where their challenge was heard but one that can only smack of acting out of self-preservation). His other arguments (about integrity of the system, corruption, protection of minors and players etc) were all 100% valid but the thought of agents acting in their own self-interests was never far from anyone's thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.