• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Bobby Duncan - Real Issues or Ill advised ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Mascott:
1. Clearly kipper meant to insult Eddie. Everyone knows what care in the community refers to, don't they? How else do you interpret that?
2. It's blatant hypocrisy to then accuse others of making light of mental illness.
3. The rest of us have moved on but kipper has to have the last say, as per usual.
4. If I'd have continued the argument you'd have banned me. Ditto any of the others involved.
How many times does a mod have to say move on? This is the third time FFS.

Next comment from you on this gets you a week off. Get back to the subject, which certainly isn’t your ongoing attempts to bait forum members you don’t like.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
And that’s a warning to everyone. Back on topic, or we’ll start handing out points and bans.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member

Jurgen Klopp has underlined Liverpool’s commitment to protecting their young players after a row over the future of academy striker Bobby Duncan.

Earlier this week, Duncan’s agent, Saif Rubie, took to social media to blast the Merseyside club and their sporting director Michael Edwards for "mentally bullying" his client .

Rubie’s explosive statement came after the Reds had turned down a number of loan offers for the forward who, according to his representative, is keen to leave this summer.

Speaking to reporters at Melwood, Klopp hit back at suggestions that the club do not have the interests of all their staff at heart.

The German also insisted it is now up to all parties to "do the right thing" to bring about a satisfactory conclusion to a tricky situation.

He said: “We have an official statement, I think, from the club about that. Really, that’s the situation.

“I would say it’s really difficult to speak about it as a non-native speaker because it’s really important that each word is the right one, and I’m not native obviously.

“What I can say is that Bobby is one of our young players, and we really care about our young players - really, really care.

“That’s pretty much all I can say because I know that from the club, I’m four years in and I know that we are like this.

“Not only with young players, with all players in football sometimes, contract things can be - not a massive problem because there are bigger things in life - but a problem because one wants to extend or not extend or whatever.

“You have these situations constantly that you aren’t even aware of, that’s a completely normal situation. With all generations, with all age groups, it’s always the same, it’s a normal thing.

“But, with young players, we are especially sensitive. If I now say more about it, it would just create headlines which is not important, nobody needs to read headlines.

“We need to do the right thing, all the different parties need to do the right thing, and everything will be fine.

“It’s not about having any big lines from the manager, we are in the situation and that’s all I can say about it.”

Klopp wouldn’t be drawn into further comment on Duncan, who only joined Liverpool last summer after a contract wrangle with former club Manchester City.

But he did talk up the importance of patience to young players who are hoping to break through at elite-level clubs.

He added: “One general thing is, and it has really nothing to do with the Bobby Duncan thing, it’s what I say to all the young players and if I speak to parents as well: a young player has all the benefits.

“We’re talking about young skilled players at Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, they are all skilled like crazy. The only big problem they could have is if they lose patience.

“Life is like this, you cannot do the next step before the first step, you have to make it step by step, that’s how it is if you’re not Lionel Messi and at 17 ready to play for Barcelona. I don’t see it that often that players are ready for that but it is possible of course.

“Mostly, it’s really about patience and patience in the right way, in a football way. Not waiting for things, being ready for making all the steps you have to do, training hard, playing on the next level, doing what the coach is telling you - and we make sure the coach is telling you the right things - then everything is fine.

“But they are all individuals, so how could I have a general opinion about them? If I face them, I treat them like individuals, that’s all.”

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Klopp is absolutely spot on. If we claim that we are second in the world on properly taking care of Youth players, no one can claim to be number 1.
Just have a look at Wilson - we have been grooming him properly. Even if he didn't make here, he would end up a solid starter for a mid table PL club. He has been bloody patient. If he has thrown this same tantrum, I would have kind of sided with him as he has been here long and still waiting for breaktheough. But he didn't, instead has gone to Bournemouth without even saying any issue in public. This kid just came here and can't wait to leave. Really really stupid decision making. If he has the same decision making on football field, I think he will soon be playing in Sunday leagues.
This kid is poor man's Dembele. Poor man's Balotelli.

Edit: Also - you don't get transfer for mental health issues. You get treatment. We have helped Enrique, Sturridge, etc when they had problems. We just paid their salary and allowed them to get treated.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Mascott:
1. Clearly kipper meant to insult Eddie. Everyone knows what care in the community refers to, don't they? How else do you interpret that?
2. It's blatant hypocrisy to then accuse others of making light of mental illness.
3. The rest of us have moved on but kipper has to have the last say, as per usual.
4. If I'd have continued the argument you'd have banned me. Ditto any of the others involved.
For this post, you get your third warning, despite of what @Mascot88 said before. That's one week off for you, for disrespecting my earlier call and baiting Kopstar in the first place.

And now: BACK TO TOPIC EVERYONE! :unhappy:

Last edited:

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I think about what an idiot I was at 18, and feel lucky I only made an absolute tit of myself in private and among a small group of friends.
I bet you are thankful that you were 18 at a time when any act of stupidity didn't carry the risk of being plastered on the internet for the whole world to see.

I know I'd be horrified if some of my idiodic ideas and comments when 18 ever made the light of day

fspencer

@Scott Jones How many years have you been 42?
@Scott Jones is 24 next week . he just looks older so he can pass the "look 25" policy in pubs and shops .

on the subject ..

not sure why anyone would touch this negotiator/agent/baldrick rubie character . I'd be perfectly happy to play for national minimum wage and wait until i am no longer getting selected for the u23s/first team if i were him ( BD ) before deciding i need to move on . IF he has mental health issues then get the help you need rather than worrying about playing football.

Moving on might only serve to make things far worse if in 2 hours or 2 years he decides he made the wrong choice due to allowing a buffoon of an agent make choices for him that he is not in the right mental state to make .

The club will do what is best for the player and perhaps they have refused to let him leave on loan but that is the clubs choice to make .

Barnestormer

Left wing.
I bet you are thankful that you were 18 at a time when any act of stupidity didn't carry the risk of being plastered on the internet for the whole world to see.

I know I'd be horrified if some of my idiodic ideas and comments when 18 ever made the light of day
Too true! The story from my daughters school is some desperate pubescent guy mailed a picture of his cock to a girl he fancied. The entire year have now seen his substandard Johnson. Utter destruction.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
An 18 year old, allegedly on 15 k a week is unhappy with his lot and is forcing a move. He was also unhappy at Man City.
His manager speaks publicly about how the club manages and supports young players.
His misogynist agent uses mental health issues as a currency, despite obviously not understanding what he is saying. It comes across as crass and uneducated and propagates the negative image and stigma surrounding mental health issues.

There are two options.
First is to ditch Bobby Duncan. Get rid and know he is not the type of person needed at the club.
Or, let Bobby ditch the agent and beg forgiveness and then understand his place in the universe.
He is disconsolate and feels like he is a victim. Maybe he genuinely has mental health issues, but the use of such language in a public debate is not helping him. His agent has seriously let him down.

Status
Not open for further replies.