• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Bullets dodged

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Remember the players linked to us in the past and Liverpool miss out on them. I'm not talking about the genuine world beaters we've missed or the duds that we've hired. But who were the duds that we've missed.

Recent examples point to Phil Jones , Thomas Lemar etc.

nikz200

This one is always a tough one cause its more of a maybe with us things might have turned out differently. Take Willian or Clint Dempsey as an example.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
Remember the players linked to us in the past and Liverpool miss out on them. I'm not talking about the genuine world beaters we've missed or the duds that we've hired. But who were the duds that we've missed.

Recent examples point to Phil Jones , Thomas Lemar etc.
Phil Jones is a good shout though. People were generally gutted when he chose united ahead of us. He’s utter garbage.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Mario Goetze for me, maybe his purchase would have affected some others Liverpool have made in the meantime. Maybe something similar could be said about Ousmane Dembele - supremely talented player I wanted Liverpool to sign but his career at Barcelona has so far been underwhelming.

BigJon

A bit off topic but I would have liked to see Anelka signed instead of Cisse.
Also we were in for Ronaldo but were outbid by Utd
And Shearer was approached but the deal couldn't be done at the time.

Those 3 for me are the ones that got away.

Reactions: jem

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
One, which is in no way a bullet dodged, who turned out to be a tragedy was Marc Vivien Foe. A beast of a player in the Yaya Toure mould.
We were after him and it never happened. A class player. Such a shame.

OLDIE

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
Lee Bowyer for me. Was the one player I can remember being absolutely gutted we were in for, and then cheered when the move collapsed. The fact he then turned completely shite after that was by the by.
I must be honest - I was disappointed that Bowyer didn't sign at the time. I felt that our midfield at the time was just to nice. I have wondered what he would have been like at Anfield - You're totally right he was shite after the deal fell through

OLDIE

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
Dodged Bullets, I am not sure whether that means a player we nearly signed or a player we did sign and moved on quickly.

The player I couldn't stand wearing the Liver Bird on his chest was spit the dog - El Hadji Diouf - I don't need to get into why as it's self explantory.

The player we nearly signed and thankfully didn't is Mick Channon.

Let's be honest he was a class act, a player that any club would have loved to see him perform for them.

Shankly's last signing was to be Mick Channon and for whatever reason the club signed a certain Mr Ray Kennedy.

If we had signed Channon then Kennedy wouldn't have played for us. What a miss that would have been

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Alex Pearce, another example of Brendan Rodgers' sharp eye for a defender.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Pretty much almost anyone flagged up as an excellent buy on this forum..... lol

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
and dare i say, henrikh mkhitiryan , ofcourse impossible to know how peak mkhitiryan would have played in liverpool instead of dortmund. But his playing career in arsenal and man utd has to be forgotten surely

rab

Alex Song. Remember arguing vociferously against us going after him when he was leaving Barca. The failure he's been since makes me think I was right on that one.

Arguing against signing Daniel Sturridge on the other hand, not a high point.