• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Bullets dodged

peter roberts

On the Celtic Ray
Christian Benteke ..... one of the worst centre-forwards the world has ever seen. Remember when Rogers gave the board his back me or sack me ultimatum and tried to convince them to smash the club record to sign him ? Phew ..... thank fuck we didn't fall for that one.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Christian Benteke ..... one of the worst centre-forwards the world has ever seen. Remember when Rogers gave the board his back me or sack me ultimatum and tried to convince them to smash the club record to sign him ? Phew ..... thank fuck we didn't fall for that one.
Except that it did.

Er, I believe that Brendan tried convincing Chelski to loan Lukaku to us instead of Everton. that didn't work.

wibseyred

I remember Paul Kitson been linked after we shipped Saunders to Villa.

Rooster

What a hit son
Has too be Dempsey and Hendo plus cash going the other way. lol lol
Well that bought our beloved forum to its knees for a while and many posts disappeared for good.

Maybe that wasn't a bad thing because many on here, myself included, wanted Dempsey on deadline day and just as everyone was going ballistic when it failed, the forum died.

nikz200

For Managers i would say Martinez cause holy shit we dodged the bullet on that one.

For players i would say Charles Nzogbia or William Keane. If we had signed Keane, we might not have signed Virg..... so phew

ShadesOfRed

TIA Youth Team
Wasn't Del Piero linked with us when he was clearly well past it? I remember him saying he wouldn't have joined us anyway because of Heysel. Can't fault him for that.

Also glad we avoided Owen when he came back from his holiday in Spain.

Last edited:

Herb

Lee Bowyer comes to mind but looking back it was about his character more than his footballing qualities. He was a very good player around that time and arguably would have suited a Houllier 442 perfectly in the middle or on the right of midfield. Won Leeds’ player of the year the season they got the CL semi finals and continued his form into the next year as well.

Not sure if it’s a name that’s been mentioned yet, but I reckon Dele Alli is a bit shit you know, thinks himself to be a way better player in his own head than he actually is.

That's more bullet taken, then removed, period in hospital, recovery, back to full health, isn't it?

Instead of H&G we could have had DIC so we dodged that bullet but took the H&G one.
True. But it could have been worse. They could have sold to some more dickheads and we would have been royally fucked then.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
True. But it could have been worse. They could have sold to some more dickheads and we would have been royally fucked then.
Ah, yes. "They" does not, of course, mean H&G as they were not in control of the sale process but absolutely the other directors could have sold to someone other than FSG, although there really weren't many other viable options. Peter Lim about the only one from memory and he never convinced.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
I wish we had dodged a lot more bullets during "those days" but award goes to Phil Jones. Can't believe how bang average he turned out to be compare to how hyped he was.

Dempsey is worth mention too, just glad some sensible person stepped in to prevent that one. We did end up with Ings, Borini, Lambert and Benteke tho before a proper manager stepped in and stopped the madness.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
Alexis Sanchez... when he went to ManU. Not sure we were credibly linked (not sure if even the Echo is credible these days) but many fans on here were reacting and clamouring for him.

peter roberts

On the Celtic Ray
Weren't we linked with Shane Long at one time ? He would have probably turned out as equally bad as Rickie Lambert , and would have cost us a lot more.

peter roberts

On the Celtic Ray
Alexis Sanchez... when he went to ManU. Not sure we were credibly linked (not sure if even the Echo is credible these days) but many fans on here were reacting and clamouring for him.
Not sure we were interested when he went to Utd , but we definitely wanted him as part exchange for Suarez. (When he was good.)

igor_piss_can

Boss thread idea.

That Alex Teixeira stands out for me as a recent one. I remember the usual bedwetters on Twitter calling FSG fit to burn because they wouldn't splash out £50M on him off the back of a decent 6 months in Ukraine.

On the subject of Ukraine, Konoplyanka (another fairly recent target) might be another. Think he's steadily regressed since we were linked with him. Thank god Ian Ayre took a wrong turn into that Ukranian brass house instead of the going the hotel to meet his representatives

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
I still think Alex Teixeira could have been good here if he was motivated to do so, but his decision to chase money in China instead of demanding a transfer here is a signal of his lack of professional ambition.