Can we do the league and CL double?

Red over the water

We are at the stage now where almost all the teams can beat each other. We are expected to beat Atletico, but it wouldn’t be a complete surprise if they edged it... at least, not to discerning fans who know their manager and know how they play. Most expect a low scoring, cagey affair, with plenty of snide and micro-cheating on display that could (I hope not) affect the outcome.

If we were blowing teams away 4-0 every week in the Prem, I would strangely be less convinced by our prospects in a head to head with Atletico. But since we have been showing all season long we can win in numerous different ways, that sets us up a bit better for what will likely be an attritional encounter.

I expect us to go through in a tight affair, and then anything can happen. The Prem is in the bag, it’s just a matter of when, not if. The team will stay focused but that is done and dusted. The CL is wide open, but it’s there for us. Two finals on the bounce shows our pedigree. We can definitely do it.

A season where we are crowned World, Premier League and European Champions would be a treble for the ages.

El Dorado

Shakin' and stirred
In watching recent performances it seems to me we are peaking at the right time to make this possible. An absolute buzzsaw on the pitch. Fab back in the lineup. Henderson playing lights out. Firmino and Salah both handfuls. And the collective defending.

Fivethirtyeight says we're 21% favorites to win UCL. I'd call it more like 50%.

South American Red

1- Don't concede.

2- Don't be involved in AM histrionic play. Tackles must be last resource, prioritize interceptions and unforced mistakes.

3- Someone streetwise next to Mané. Naby nowhere near him. AM would have a field day with those two.

4- Shoot from outside the box. Take advantage of dead balls.

Put them under pressure and they will crumble. I can see them giving away a late soft goal and then getting spanked horrendously in the extra time.

If we past this bunch, probably next round will very likely be easier. It was one of the worst possible draws for us.

Last edited:

rockafella

Registered before you did
I'm interested to see what the plan is regarding the league and FA Cup. Is it a case of full strength in the league and a weakened team in the FA Cup permanently? Or we'll switch only once the league is mathematically won and if we've been knocked out by Chelsea before that then so be it?

Would Klopp prioritise an unbeaten league season over the FA Cup? An unbeaten season is considerably more impressive, but I'd rather win the FA Cup.

With the FA Cup v Chelsea being midweek, followed by Bournemouth at home at the weekend then Atletico, it would make sense to go full strength for the FA Cup, then rest some for the league game prior to Atletico.

jaffod

I'm interested to see what the plan is regarding the league and FA Cup. Is it a case of full strength in the league and a weakened team in the FA Cup permanently? Or we'll switch only once the league is mathematically won and if we've been knocked out by Chelsea before that then so be it?

Would Klopp prioritise an unbeaten league season over the FA Cup? An unbeaten season is considerably more impressive, but I'd rather win the FA Cup.

With the FA Cup v Chelsea being midweek, followed by Bournemouth at home at the weekend then Atletico, it would make sense to go full strength for the FA Cup, then rest some for the league game prior to Atletico.
Not for me.

We can go pretty strong at Chelsea with games for the likes of Matip, Lovren, Milner, Keita, Lallana, Minamino and Origi plus a few of the kids who will deserve another game for what they've done so far.
Then go absolutely full strength against Bournemouth, no chances taken whatsoever until the title is wrapped up. There's enough recovery time before Madrid.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Not for me.

We can go pretty strong at Chelsea with games for the likes of Matip, Lovren, Milner, Keita, Lallana, Minamino and Origi plus a few of the kids who will deserve another game for what they've done so far.
Then go absolutely full strength against Bournemouth, no chances taken whatsoever until the title is wrapped up. There's enough recovery time before Madrid.
Plus, we look a lot better doing two games a week rather than a weeks rest.

Against Chelsea I think we’ll go reasonably strong, and it will be a case of playing the four academy lads who have really excelled (Elliot, Jones, Williams and Chirivella) and then build around them with first teamers.

I think Milner will definitely play, probably Minamino and Matip. I’d like to see at least one of the regular front three (probably Mane) and I think Van Dijk will play in front of Adrian.

Chelsea are up to their tits in a struggle for the last CL spot, so they’ll be resting players.