Christian Pulisic (AM) Borussia Dortmund

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by Kopstar, Aug 26, 2016.

1. TuscaloosaRed

TuscaloosaRed New Member

Yes. Let me explain. Hopefully you'll understand. About 2005 I got incredibly frustrated with my American College football team, the Alabama Crimson Tide. We'd slipped into mediocrity and lost 6 times in a row (the longest losing streak) to our in state rivals Auburn (the Everton of the state of Alabama). I transferred my passion to the EPL which was breaking into American TV on Fox. At the time, Man United was the team that most Americans could name if you put a gun to their heads. Man U was winning and so it was easy. I naturally hated Chelsea because we had a rival in high school named Chelsea and they were the same royal blue and white. My hate for them hasn't dissipated. I really got into the Mancs. Followed them passionately. I watched a lot. Learned the game, the players, the tactics, the grounds etc.

My interest fell off for about 4 seasons. Divorce, death of my father, move back to TTown to get my life back together. I did stumble across the video series "100 men who shook the Kop" on You Tube about 8-9 years ago and began to develop a begrudging respect for the reds. The seed was planted.

My sister and her family moved to Poulton Le Fylde last Autumn. I visited for a couple of weeks over Christmas. I couldn't get tickets to a United match. I didn't know how and those available were too expensive. I took a train to Elland Road and caught a Leeds match, than another on boxing day at Preston North End. We did go to a pub on a Monday night to watch the Derby with Everton. The one Where Mane scored late and we won 1-0. I found myself getting caught up with the folks in the pub and supporting Liverpool. Then I took a train to Liverpool one day to do the Beatles tour...

At the Albert docks, I saw the Anfield tour bus, and chuckled hearing it belting out "You'll never Walk Alone" on the loud speakers. Merchants were selling Liverpool scarves everywhere and people were walkings around in Liverpool shirts everywhere because there was a game that evening. I found myself wishing I was going.

I came back to the states and headed to Tampa to see Alabama play for the national championship there. This was a week or so later. We were in a bar and a friend of mine said he was taking his son to London in March and wanted to go to a match with him. He wanted to know where to go. An Englishman at the end of the bar overheard us and said "Go to Anfield. The atmosphere at London clubs is rubbish". He kept saying "go to Anfield, go to Anfield".

I found myself watching Liverpool more closely. Then, I started researching. Reading about the club, etc. I realized the club is so similar to Bama's football program. Dominance in the 70's and 80's (60's and 70's for Bama), then a period trying to regain the glory. The close attachment to the club of the locals. The fact that the economy was bad and Scousers were made fun of by other Britons, just like the poor economy here and the stereotype of us as rednecks. The fact that the team was more important than the individual. The "whole" was greater than the "sum of the parts". The Shadow of a manager in Shanks who is still revered the same as the legend Paul "Bear" Bryant, and whose legacy still lives on. I began to tie it all together.

In short, I realized i was supporting the wrong club all along!!

2. TuscaloosaRed

TuscaloosaRed New Member

I'm American.

3. Mark Thurgood

Mark Thurgood is tired of this "new member" tag

Can I just ask @TuscaloosaRed when you say college football team, I'm assuming you mean something similar to rugby?

4. TuscaloosaRed

TuscaloosaRed New Member

Yes. American football. It's insane here in the south. Bigger than the NFL. Our ground holds 101,000 and we fill it up. No kidding!

ILLOK and redfanman like this.
  5. Irishanfield

Irishanfield Well-Known Member

Drink drink drink till you forget and then we'll never talk about this manure episode ever again

lfc.eddie and DeathOrGlory like this.
  6. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Since Liverpool is a religion in this part or place, and nobody manning the confession booth after such a great night. so here's what you need to do - you have repent, admitted your sin and corrected it.... sing YNWA 3 times out loud and all will be forgiven. Never to mention United as part of your life ever again, and start hating them as much as you hate Chelsea. And remember, anyone who plays against United is your friend on the day.

Now go pray - " When you walk through a storm, hold your head up high. And don't be afraid of the dark......"

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  7. jgw_geneseo

jgw_geneseo Expert YouTube scout

The shock! The horror!!! Just kidding.

Welcome. glad you came aboard.

But word of advice- it's an English club but supported by people all over the world- so when you say things like 'foreigners' people automatically assume you mean anyone other than British- this is, after all, a worldwide forum for an English team, not an American forum for 'niche' sports.

Just so you get your bearings, you just did the equivalent of admitting on an Alabama forum that you used to love and support Auburn- but are now switching sides- so don't be surprised you get a few cheap shots thrown your way. 'Foreigners' take their sports every bit as serious as southern SEC fans do.

I hope your LFC fandom brings as much success as Alabama football has had over the past few years. Let's get this ball rolling.

8. toddwillis22

toddwillis22 TIA New Signing

Hey Tuscaloosa. I'm in Jackson, MS.

seems right about how people over here pick teams - most are mancs from the time the Prem really became accessible on TV - 2003 or so. I guess people started watching more and glory hunted "their" team. Same with Chelsea later on.

I'd have to say, you got off lucky in this thread. lol. Glad you found the light.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  9. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

And I also think it's an unfair assessment of American players. There is now a long list of players who have had creditable careers in competitive sides in the major European leagues (albeit bolstered a bit by the German/American contingent who dont really represent what America produces). For the last decade, the majority of US sides picked for important games had the majority of their players playing outside the US.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    Cologne-Liverpool and redfanman like this.
  10. toddwillis22

toddwillis22 TIA New Signing

Good point and it certainly applies to Pulisic, whose father was a youth coach at Dortmund. Pulisic spent some very formative years prior to his first team break-through playing in Germany. He was able to avoid the typical American player development routine - college, MLS, then abroad....

11. legalalien

legalalien The Tweetherder

gr_sounder and redfanman like this.
  12. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

He is lined up for next summer because of AFCON during that winter. That's why he is not looking to come now, because we are in for Salah. Next season he will be coming in as part of the crew that rotates between Salah, Mane and himself to help us lift our 6th European title. ;-)

redfanman and legalalien like this.
  13. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan Trust in Klopp

I'm waiting for us to be rocked to our core by that Polish donkey signing for Everton or that French striker no-one's ever heard of choosing Doncaster Rovers over us.

legalalien likes this.
  14. Mark Thurgood

Mark Thurgood is tired of this "new member" tag

You confuse me....quite well I must say. I thought I just entered the Pulisic thread, and I hear chuffing Doncaster and Polish lad.

15. Semmy

Semmy walk on...walk...on...

So Mourinho drove you out but #davidmoyesisafootballgenius did not?

You were born to be a Red. Just admit it and cast away the sins of the Devil

16. Hoosier Red Fan

Hoosier Red Fan True Believer

Another American here who is surrounded by bandwagon Manc fans. Most don't even know the roster, let alone why they've decided to support that team over any other. The crowing I was subjected to during the SAF days has thankfully died down, now that they've been knocked off the perch for the past few years.

But to steer this thread back to CP, I would love to see him end up in a Red shirt, as he could bring a whole new generation of Yanks into the LFC fold. Don't know that it will ever happen as he has every opportunity at Dortmund at the minute, but perhaps, with Tuchel off, he'll become unsettled and remember fondly his days with Herr Klopp.

Scott Jones likes this.
  17. TennesseeRed

TennesseeRed New Member

Hey Tuscaloosa I lived in Tuscaloosa from 2010 until 2015 so Roll Tide to you!! I would do 19 back flips if we were able to sign Pulisic. As an American to have the team I support end up with the best talent my country has produced would be amazing on a personal level.

18. coldbeatle89

coldbeatle89 Member

I'll take a few these individually-

Aubameyang- Don't honestly believe we want him- he's older than I think they're looking for.
    Mbappe- 70 mil. wouldn't get him- but I know you were just using him as an example. I still think we're going to be priced out of that one.
    Pulisic- see, THIS is the one that makes the most sense to me for us to get- I would LOVE for us to have Pulisic, and yes, dammit, I am an American and a die-hard Pulisic fan. I think that he would be the PERFECT fit here for FSG both from a tactical standpoint and a marketing standpoint- the hype would go to 11 in the States with the owners of the Red Sox bringing the American wunderkind to arguably England's most prestigious club (I'm sticking to that feeling). However, he himself has said he's happy at Dortmund- and maybe right now it's good for him to stay there for another year or so. If we're not talking about him at either the next transfer window in December or next summer- I'm going to be scratching my head.

Hoosier Red Fan likes this.
  19. Hoosier Red Fan

I, too am American and a Pulisic fan and agree that FSG should be looking at him, however, I'm not convinced that most Americans would even know about it if it happened. Where I live, I could ask 100 people who Steven Gerrard is and get a blank stare. I could follow up with what should be an easier question, like who is Tim Howard and get the same response even though he is an American and well-known in English football. Quite frankly, almost nobody around here knows or cares about the sport. It's quite heartbreaking, really.

20. coldbeatle89

coldbeatle89 Member

Well, if you're in Indiana- that makes sense. My sister goes to IU and I went to ND for a year- other than the actual campus team- no one cared about soccer.

21. Alright Now

Alright Now Well-Known Member

It's a fair point. I would say that soccer participation has spiked among 12-17 year olds. I read recently that about 3 million kids in that age group are playing "soccer." That's the hope for the sport here: these kids will bring about a gradual shift over time. My daughter has played since she was 4 years old and I sense a genuine love for the sport among those who play. At times, I'm genuinely surprised that the players and their parents know the game and its characters really well. However, beyond that circle, all I hear is an intense dislike for the offsides rule, flopping, and draws. The U.S. men's team's inability to make a big leap hasn't helped either. In fact, we seem to have more fans of the women's game. With every men's loss, I hear a declaration that things would be different if Lebron or Curry or Durant played soccer. I would have thought that FSG would have made a massive marketing push in the US, but I have not seen it and perhaps they believe it's still too early. Nothing annoys me like walking into a sports store here and seeing only a few jerseys, and all those usually sporting Chevrolet logos.

Maybe FSG is waiting to flood the market with Naby jerseys:celebrating:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    Hoosier Red Fan and Scott Jones like this.
  22. Hoosier Red Fan

My daughter also played through college, which reintroduced me to the sport. My early years were spent in a midwestern town with a large Hispanic population (migrant workers who picked tomatoes for the local ketchup factory), so I grew up playing with those kids in the backyard for fun, but never knew much about the wider world of football except for a brief spate of Pele coverage when he was with the Cosmos. And, to be fair, there were a few parents when my daughter was playing who had an understanding of the game, but on the whole, most were great cheerleaders for their kid and the team but that was the extent of it. I feel you on the Chevrolet jerseys, though. When I wear one of my jerseys, I get asked if I'm on a softball team! You'd think Lebron, as a minority owner, would help the situation, but to date, I haven't seen much from him. Andrew Luck has been much more visible in his support of the sport (although he's a West Ham fan) than Lebron.

But back to the topic, if this transfer gets across the line, I'll have my jersey on order within the following week! :D

Maria, Scott Jones and Alright Now like this.
  23. Hoosier Red Fan

I do indeed live in Indiana. IU and ND have great college soccer programs, but unfortunately, the college-model we use here in the States doesn't make us competitive on the world stage. I would argue it does the opposite. I think Pulisic's development should be the model rather than the antiquated system we currently use.

24. coldbeatle89

coldbeatle89 Member

Agreed on college part of it.

I will say this tho- Pulisic having a Croatian grandparent is the real hero here- allowed him to get an EU pssport and play overseas. Not everyone has that ability.

25. hoosierred

hoosierred Well-Known Member Valued Member

Great to see another Hoosier on here!! In defense of our local soccer awareness, I've certainly seen a steady change and growth of awareness among people. Most at least know who Messi and Ronaldo are now. I do think Pulisic would bring more attention and awareness around the country to Liverpool (although I may be blinded by my self interest in having the one legitimately good US player in red).

His development has highlighted a lot of the problems with the American system, but at the same time we are starting to see the US talent base grow to the point where it isn't crazy to say there could be another Pulisic or two having similar success in the near future.

Regardless, it looks very, very unlikely that this transfer will happen any time soon.

Hoosier Red Fan and boston red like this.
  26. coldbeatle89

coldbeatle89 Member

Look- I want Pulisic in Liverpool as much as the next guy.

However- I'm happy if he goes ANYWHERE that brings him bigger exposure- as long as that anywhere is not somewhere in Manchester.

RedBadger1848 and Chewbazza like this.
  27. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Damn I got excited for a minute...

28. prest

prest Banned Users

I think having Pulisic here would be massive for the club if he goes onto fulfill his apparent potential. As he looks likely to become the most talented American in US soccer history (at least as judged by contemporary standards) he'll get a lot of exposure and having him in red while he becomes a star in the US would create a new generation of supporters in the US. I don't know that he'll ever get to the level where he could be a standout talent for us but he's already at the point where he'd be a very good squad option. Obviously he's not coming this summer but I think he'll be in the thinking of many at the club, for sporting as well as commercial reasons.

TFC and boston red like this.
  29. Fusion5a

Fusion5a New Member

Hi peeps....just joined and look forward to the banter. I heard that Klopp can't approach Dortmund until Jan for any of there players, is there any truth to this? Think Pulisic is a great player but would rather have the magician stay another season if I had the choice.

30. Chewbazza

Chewbazza True Believer

Wouldn't think that's true as we tried to sign him last summer.

Scott Jones and redfanman like this.