Christian Pulisic (AM) Borussia Dortmund

GermanRed

As a betting man, this is a deal I can see happening at some point in the next year or two.
Out of contract in 2020. Looks like he won’t sign a new one there so Dortmund will sell him next summer.

We don’t need another right wide player (that’s pretty much the only position he can play).

Can’t make it into Dortmund’s starting11 so what do we need him for?

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Out of contract in 2020. Looks like he won’t sign a new one there so Dortmund will sell him next summer.

We don’t need another right wide player (that’s pretty much the only position he can play).

Can’t make it into Dortmund’s starting11 so what do we need him for?
Coz of all the shirt money he will bring in. ;-)

Red over the water

Pulisic is a good player. I’d be happy if we signed him. Mind you, he’s not yet a great player, and he’s not the only option, so I wouldn’t be too distraught if it didn’t work out. But I think he’d do well with us.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Pulisic ripped us apart in a preseason friendly, wouldn’t be surprised if Klopp fancies him

Not sure he is what we need though. Think we need more trickery/guile in an advanced midfield role, we already have the pace of Mane/Salah. Think we need something different to keep the opponents off balance

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Pulisic ripped us apart in a preseason friendly, wouldn’t be surprised if Klopp fancies him

Not sure he is what we need though. Think we need more trickery/guile in an advanced midfield role, we already have the pace of Mane/Salah. Think we need something different to keep the opponents off balance
Think we need both. We definitely need that midfield guile, but we also need another quality option to play in the forward line. We’re massively reliant on Salah, Mane and Firmino.

Sweeting

With Wilson to come back to us in the summer I think we could maybe do with one more quick player to come in as a reserve. I doubt Pulisic is the guy with the price being bandied around to be honest.

I am thinking someone more like a Quincy Promes type who could start 40% but be a heavily used substitute. Then we would be able to add NEWGUY & Wilson to the rotation of Salah, Mane, Firmino, Shaqiri.

Origi, Sturridge, Solanke, Lallana - who knows what their future holds - I think they could be considered even less important if the Wilson/NEWGUY combo come in.

Mascot88

Admin
Keep forgetting about Wilson. Also keep forgetting he’s only 21. Seems to have been knocking around for years.

If Derby come up (and they should) I wonder if there is more value letting him stay for another year?

If he comes back, I think finding himself on the bench for a the majority of games could set him back.

I think I’d prefer to see him get a year of premier league footy under his belt, and then come back ready to contribute.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
With Wilson to come back to us in the summer I think we could maybe do with one more quick player to come in as a reserve. I doubt Pulisic is the guy with the price being bandied around to be honest.

I am thinking someone more like a Quincy Promes type who could start 40% but be a heavily used substitute. Then we would be able to add NEWGUY & Wilson to the rotation of Salah, Mane, Firmino, Shaqiri.

Origi, Sturridge, Solanke, Lallana - who knows what their future holds - I think they could be considered even less important if the Wilson/NEWGUY combo come in.
Dortmund players? Sancho.. That kid is going to be a superstar, I'd prefer him over Dembele! He can play Left or Right so the perfect option.

Pulisic isn't worth the figures as you say.

Mascot88

Admin
Dortmund players? Sancho.. That kid is going to be a superstar, I'd prefer him over Dembele! He can play Left or Right so the perfect option.

Pulisic isn't worth the figures as you say.
I think City have a buy back clause though? Even if we could afford him (I think he would already command 100m +) we’d have to compete with their money.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
I think City have a buy back clause though? Even if we could afford him (I think he would already command 100m +) we’d have to compete with their money.
I think they do but I wonder if they'd go for it.. They have an abundance of talent.. Sane, Silva, Sterling, Mahrez (Foden) etc. Although maybe just to spite us they'd buy him back and stick him on the bench.

I honestly think £100mil is money well spent, he is storming it so far this season.

Looking at our squad and not to go fully of topic, we are so dam close.. 1 attacker to rotate with Mane/Salah, and maybe a no.10 and we are there.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Keep forgetting about Wilson. Also keep forgetting he’s only 21. Seems to have been knocking around for years.

If Derby come up (and they should) I wonder if there is more value letting him stay for another year?

If he comes back, I think finding himself on the bench for a the majority of games could set him back.

I think I’d prefer to see him get a year of premier league footy under his belt, and then come back ready to contribute.
That is not a bad idea. Or if they don't get promoted, and Wagner is still at Huddersfield, send him to Klopps old mate. Will get game time, and working under one of Klopps mates he will now what Klopps ideas and phylosophies on development are so would be best placed to help Harry go to that next level

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
Talk of spending 100m on Sancho or something similarly high on Pulisic is madness and is the kind of knee jerk reaction Klopp and co have avoided so far.

You can sign better players for half the money. Let's do that instead.
Really? World record fee for both a defender and keeper? If they are good enough he will pay whatever.

Can you name the better players available for half the money?

Red over the water

They have a 'matching right' - means if a bid comes in that Dortmund would be ready to accept they would have to inform City about it.
That potentially makes it more doable. A player might be worth a certain amount to us, but based on perceived need, not be worth as much to another club.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Really? World record fee for both a defender and keeper? If they are good enough he will pay whatever.

Can you name the better players available for half the money?
Just look at some of the players who have moved in recent years, plenty of players as good or better than Sancho who've moved for less than 50 million.

Sancho is a great talent, we've known that for years, but to go and spunk 100m you should be getting a bona fide world class player. You pointed out Alisson and Van Dijk but both of those were the best available in their position and also cost significantly less than that figure.

Go and take a cursory glance at the Bundesliga top scorers - Alcacer has 8 goals at 28 mins per goal, Reiss Nelson has 6 at 59 mins per goal, Luka Jovic has 10 at 73 mins per goal, Sebastian Haller has 9 at 111 mins per goal, Alfred Finnbogason has 7 at 60 mins per goal, Alassane Plea has 8 at 118 mins per goal, Vedad Ibsevic has 6 at 153 mins per goal and Odrej Duda and Youssef Poulsen almost the same...Sancho has 4 at 181 mins per goal. Does this not give you pause for thought?

The above is not to say Sancho isn't going to be an excellent player, he is, but just to point out that there are many other options available out there and also highlights just how open teams in the Bundesliga tend to play (I don't watch it often but when I do that's the impression I get) if so many unremarkable players can put up remarkable numbers.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
Just look at some of the players who have moved in recent years, plenty of players as good or better than Sancho who've moved for less than 50 million.

Sancho is a great talent, we've known that for years, but to go and spunk 100m you should be getting a bona fide world class player. You pointed out Alisson and Van Dijk but both of those were the best available in their position and also cost significantly less than that figure.

Go and take a cursory glance at the Bundesliga top scorers - Alcacer has 8 goals at 28 mins per goal, Reiss Nelson has 6 at 59 mins per goal, Luka Jovic has 10 at 73 mins per goal, Sebastian Haller has 9 at 111 mins per goal, Alfred Finnbogason has 7 at 60 mins per goal, Alassane Plea has 8 at 118 mins per goal, Vedad Ibsevic has 6 at 153 mins per goal and Odrej Duda and Youssef Poulsen almost the same...Sancho has 4 at 181 mins per goal. Does this not give you pause for thought?

The above is not to say Sancho isn't going to be an excellent player, he is, but just to point out that there are many other options available out there and also highlights just how open teams in the Bundesliga tend to play (I don't watch it often but when I do that's the impression I get) if so many unremarkable players can put up remarkable numbers.
He has 5 goals and 7 assists in 1014 minutes which is 1.4 direct goal contributions per game. That's better than any of our front 3 this season.

Anyway I won't derail this thread further, I'd be happy with Pulisic for around £40mil think he could be a quality player.

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd
I’m trying to work out why the word ‘Pulisic’ causes so many to develop a sudden disconnect between their virtual mouths, their eyes and their brains. Fascinating ........ !

GermanRed

According to RuhrNachrichten (probably as close to Dortmund as the Liverpool Echo to LFC) Chelsea made first contact with BVB.

He has 5 goals and 7 assists in 1014 minutes which is 1.4 direct goal contributions per game. That's better than any of our front 3 this season.

Anyway I won't derail this thread further, I'd be happy with Pulisic for around £40mil think he could be a quality player.
This is my take as well. Cost this summer was bandied about at around £70mil. With Pulisic having not as good a season (so far), and only a year left in his contract, I’d imagine the price to be closer to £40-50mil. Lad also plays #10 for the national team, and has shown some nice creativity. Think he could be a solid addition as a sub for either wing or the #10. Might show even more creativity with far more skilled players around him as well.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
That we should sell Mane to Real, Bobby to Barca and Mo to PSG for 400 million and buy those 3 for a 350 million quid profit?
Stop being facetious, I never once said sell anyone, read my post.

Quote me on this - Sancho will be a world class player by 21.

Nikola

Mediocre outcome is the probable outcome.
Admin
I'm with @ILLOK on this one but I also think that Dortmund are kidding themselves if they think they can squeeze 70 million pounds from some club for Pulišić. Don't see anyone pressing a financial panic button because of him.

I've thought for a while that he's Liverpool's next serious target but only for the summer. I wouldn't be surprised if that initial bid of a year or two ago was actually made in order for Pulišić to become truly aware of Klopp's interest and intentions, a part of long-term strategy to entice him to sign for Liverpool.

If he remains at Dortmund until the end of the season and Liverpool qualify for Champions League, I think that this will be a deal similar to one that saw Oxlade-Chamberlain join. I feel strangely confident about Liverpool's chances of signing him, he's the creative, electric winger that Liverpool need at the moment and don't have in academy, even though his form has suffered because of injury issues and they rendered him almost redundant to this Dortmund team.