Christian Pulisic (AM) Borussia Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Must be a bit annyoing for Pulisic when a two-year younger player with less top-level experience can just take on your position, take your spot and already have much more impact than you ever had. Might drive the price down a bit though, less of that wunderkind hype is probably good for the kid anyway in the long run.
Feel it has a lot to do with his nationality as well. Being American the hype tends to shadow you around quite a fair bit. Not that he doesn't have the raw skill or talent, but far from being a player of the price touted in the market - £70m. If that's the way the market is moving towards, then Alexander-Arnold and Gomez would hit 9-figure fee by now.

gr_sounder

Feel it has a lot to do with his nationality as well. Being American the hype tends to shadow you around quite a fair bit. Not that he doesn't have the raw skill or talent, but far from being a player of the price touted in the market - £70m. If that's the way the market is moving towards, then Alexander-Arnold and Gomez would hit 9-figure fee by now.
Problem is that attacking players will continue to go for higher fees than the defensive players. Gomez and Trent are amazing young talents, but I don't know if they'd go for higher fees than Pulisic --- well they might now that Christian is not the everyday player, but rather sharing with Sancho.

By the way, on Sancho, I do wonder how he'll continue as the season goes along as teams get more familiar with him.

As for the comparisons to Eden Hazard, no he's definitely not in the same class as Eden Hazard, who is 7.5 years older than Christian and currently one of the finest talents out there. However, Pulisic right now is comparable to the Eden Hazard of 2011 at Lille.

Last edited:

spartacus136

Problem is that attacking players will continue to go for higher fees than the defensive players. Gomez and Trent are amazing young talents, but I don't know if they'd go for higher fees than Pulisic --- well they might now that Christian is not the everyday player, but rather sharing with Sancho.

By the way, on Sancho, I do wonder how he'll continue as the season goes along as teams get more familiar with him.

As for the comparisons to Eden Hazard, no he's definitely not in the same class as Eden Hazard, who is 7.5 years older than Christian and currently one of the finest talents out there. However, Pulisic right now is comparable to the Eden Hazard of 2011 at Lille.
At 20 Hazard was ligue 1 besf player. Score 20+ goals session. Pulisic is nothing compared to him.

C

Caradoc

Could somebody explain to me what all this hype is about because I’m just not getting it. I don’t want to read wiffle waffle or somebody’s love poems to the lad. I’m not interested in how many LFC jerseys the US public may or may not buy if he signs for LFC. I’m also not interested in what positions he could easily adapt to, or plays in occasionaly for his club or regularly for his country. I want somebody to justify this hype with indisputable footballing facts, cold hard meaningful, relevant statistics that prove that he is this player that we simply have to have in our squad and our first team. I don’t think that is an unreasonable request in view of the hype.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
At 20 Hazard was ligue 1 besf player. Score 20+ goals session. Pulisic is nothing compared to him.
Back when Ligue 1 not as shit as now..... I remembered we did play against Lille and he scored against us, there were talks about us being interested, and that's the last season for Rafa.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Could somebody explain to me what all this hype is about because I’m just not getting it. I don’t want to read wiffle waffle or somebody’s love poems to the lad. I’m not interested in how many LFC jerseys the US public may or may not buy if he signs for LFC. I’m also not interested in what positions he could easily adapt to, or plays in occasionaly for his club or regularly for his country. I want somebody to justify this hype with indisputable footballing facts, cold hard meaningful, relevant statistics that prove that he is this player that we simply have to have in our squad and our first team. I don’t think that is an unreasonable request in view of the hype.
Remember this game?

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Remember this game?

You do realise that was a nothing but a meaningless game against us . we've had youth players play outstanding in early pre season friendlies against teams that are just using games for fitness but that doesn't mean they are good enough to start for us. I get it that you are American and would love to see a yank play for us but personally don't see him as a starter and we aren't city so we can't pay 60+ million for a squad player

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
That’s it ......... ?

I'm no Pulisic fanboy but i see the reasons behind wanting to sign him (and think we should go in for him) as i've stated in previous posts.

Klopps already tried signing him for one,so thats probably why most people on here are looking at him,he ticks quite a lot of boxes when it comes to the type of player Klopp wants for the squad.

Youth being one and huge potential to turn him into another star player at LFC,he has experience at a top club in a big league,Champions league and international level already at 20.

As for skills,he's 2 footed,can play in multiple attacking midfield/forward roles if needed (which is perfect for rotation or switching positions during a game).I don't have a massive indepth knowledge of him but the basics of seeing him a few times and the clips i have seen of him,make him a player i know Klopp could work wonders with.

Limiescouse

That’s it ......... ?
Clearly not. By the time that game was played he had already had 2 years of being an important player in one of Europe's best sides and had not yet even turned 20. His raw stats for goals and assists are underwhelming, but you dont need to watch him for very long to see that he passes the eye test.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
You do realise that was a nothing but a meaningless game against us . we've had youth players play outstanding in early pre season friendlies against teams that are just using games for fitness but that doesn't mean they are good enough to start for us. I get it that you are American and would love to see a yank play for us but personally don't see him as a starter and we aren't city so we can't pay 60+ million for a squad player
You English still cannot differentiate between us and Americans.

I don’t care if we get Pulisic or not. Read what I was replying to, Caradoc asking what the fuss was about. Although Pulisic has been the only player to carve up our back line in last 12months he isn’t who I want to see come in.

I would rather pay for Son from Spurs

Red over the water

I don’t have the stats to hand and can’t put a compelling argument together that would satisfy everyone, but Pulisic is a good player. Fast, good on the dribble, versatile, two footed. He would play on the left wing when Mane rests, or could be more of a creative player in the middle, when Firmino rests. He covers at least two positions.

His outright goal scoring stats aren’t great, but he wouldn’t be the first player of his age who didn’t have great numbers. I think at that point you are looking for signs of what he can do, rather than raw numbers, as there’s always mitigating circumstances behind the numbers. For example, Dortmund have changed managers a couple of times and Pulisic has been adapting to slightly different styles. I read something about him not being the player to get the ball to the final third, but once it comes in he comes alive, or something like that. The point being, Dortmund were going through a rough patch and he wasn’t getting on the ball in an area of the pitch to show what he could do. Presumably if he came here he would see a lot of action in that final third, and he’s a clever player with good feet, so the platform is there for him to excel.

This season Dortmund have kicked on quite a bit, but it looks to me as though his time on the bench is more to do with them preparing for life without him, and intentionally building around players like Sancho.

He has been a key player for a big side in a top league, and has also looked comfortable in the CL. He is the main man for his national team too, and while they aren’t world beaters, they are a fair to middling international side.

We know Klopp liked him in the brief time they overlapped at Dortmund. I think he brought him through to train with the first team because he liked what he saw. We also know that Klopp liked him enough to test the water with a bid. The earlier bid wasn’t nearly enough to prise him away, but I’m not sure we wanted to do that anyway. I saw that bid as a marker - we like you, and we’ll come back, but in the meantime keep working hard.

Like pretty much every potential signing, it comes down to the money, the need, and what they can offer to you. Pulisic is a good young player and can offer cover for two positions, and he is of an age where it is reasonable to believe there will be further improvement to come. We will move one or two on in the next couple of windows and there will be room for him. So now it’s down to the money. If they want silly money, we may back away. There’s a trend with young players that you pay too much of a premium for what they might become, rather than what they are, and you could almost say it’s better value to buy peak 25 year olds because you know where you stand.

Be that as it may, I think we will buy him, for something around the £60M mark, and I think he will do very well here.

*As a fickle football fan I reserve the right to say he’s not all that should he go to Chelsea!

Cologne-Liverpool

This season Dortmund have kicked on quite a bit, but it looks to me as though his time on the bench is more to do with them preparing for life without him, and intentionally building around players like Sancho.
Agree with a lot of what you said there and that's all fair enough, but definitely not with that bit. Sancho has quite simply been better than Pulisic.

I also personally don't think that Pulisic has ever been a real "key player" for Dortmund, but that's down to interpretation and debatable I guess.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
If he is a key player as you've described him to be, he won't be sitting on the bench. Gotze and Lewandowski both were very clear about their exit but they played until the end of the season as a starter. Also if Sancho isn't as good or better than Pulisic I don't think a coach who holds his job dearly would risk it just because the player is about to leave in the summer/winter. You only do that when you have able options lined up already, and Sancho showed he is more than capable in doing the job.

big noyd

think he's been knocked down in bvb's pecking order partly because they expect him to depart, but IMO his progress over the last 12-18 months has been slightly disappointing. they've changed managers & systems several times but at this point he's not quite as attractive as he was when he broke into their side at 17

gr_sounder

Pulisic started this season at 19 so the most accurate comparison would be when Hazard was 19 to start a season, and turned 20 during that season. Is it perfect .... no because Pulisic's birthday is 3.5 months earlier than Hazards (Pulisic Sept 18, Hazard Jan 7), but still, close enough. This would mean the 2010-2011 season for Hazard, where he scored 7 goals in the league and 2 in the French Cup.

Hazard's breakout year was the following year when he was 20/21 years old.

We still don't know the final numbers Pulisic will have at the end of this season, and we're completely lost where it will be next season. Do I expect his numbers to be great this year... absolutely not. Will Pulisic ever be comparable to Hazard in his prime.... no clue. Just saying that at this stage and age, it's comparable. Even if Sancho has looked the more lively player.

By the way, the French Ligue 1 has not been very good for quite some time... definitely a step below the Bundesliga (even back in 2010-11 time frame).

Also, the only reason I'm comparing to Hazard is because there were stories saying he'd be considered by Chelsea to play that role if Hazard left. Others rightly pointed out that Eden is much better than Christian at this point - and I don't think anyone is arguing that. All I was trying to say is that at similar age they were comparable players. Was Eden still better at 19/20? Possibly, but it wasn't so much that you'd go nuts. And before we start saying how great Sancho is, we need to give it time though he looks special.

Last edited:

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
You English still cannot differentiate between us and Americans.

I don’t care if we get Pulisic or not. Read what I was replying to, Caradoc asking what the fuss was about. Although Pulisic has been the only player to carve up our back line in last 12months he isn’t who I want to see come in.

I would rather pay for Son from Spurs
Eh?

The clue is in my username

Red over the water

think he's been knocked down in bvb's pecking order partly because they expect him to depart, but IMO his progress over the last 12-18 months has been slightly disappointing. they've changed managers & systems several times but at this point he's not quite as attractive as he was when he broke into their side at 17
I wish I’d have said something like this in my post, well said!

My view on Pulisic is he’s a good player and would do very well here, and would kick on further under Klopp, and also cover a couple of positions for us. If we buy him I’ll be happy.

However, there is a slight question mark over his progress since he first burst onto the scene. Mind you, if it had been linear/meteoric he’d probably already be at Barcelona or PSG.

C

Caradoc

Seems to me that 70% of Pulisic is made up of hype, obsession and excuses. His qualities are grossly exaggerated, the negatives are brushed off with flimsy excuses and its all washed down with a great big glass of hype.

Not doubting he’s a good young player but the way he’s being portrayed and hyped up, they need to let Pele know that he’s about to drop to number 2 in the all-time rankings and its not down to Maradona.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Seems to me that 70% of Pulisic is made up of hype, obsession and excuses. His qualities are grossly exaggerated, the negatives are brushed off with flimsy excuses and its all washed down with a great big glass of hype.

Not doubting he’s a good young player but the way he’s being portrayed and hyped up, they need to let Pele know that he’s about to drop to number 2 in the all-time rankings and its not down to Maradona.

If you knew all this,why wait till the 37th page to ask what all the hype is about,then within a few extra posts,dissmiss peoples views and knowledge of him,like you know everything about him?

I haven't read him being overly hyped up and grossly exaggerated,with negatives brushed off with flimsy excuses,people have made good points and reasons as to why we'd have him at LFC,i guess the main point is that Klopp likes him,has made a bid for him in the past and will probably make a bid for him in the future.

C

Caradoc

If you knew all this,why wait till the 37th page to ask what all the hype is about,then within a few extra posts,dissmiss peoples views and knowledge of him,like you know everything about him?

I haven't read him being overly hyped up and grossly exaggerated,with negatives brushed off with flimsy excuses,people have made good points and reasons as to why we'd have him at LFC,i guess the main point is that Klopp likes him,has made a bid for him in the past and will probably make a bid for him in the future.

37 pages? Exactly! Thank-you for proving my point. Could have finished at Page 7 and I doubt most of what has been posted since has added much to the discussion!

The lad is talented but how important it is that we sign him remains to be seen. Liverpool have evolved massively since Klopp put in a bid for him. If he does so again, I trust his judgement. If he doesn’t that’s good enough for me.

In the meantime, if we have money to spend, it makes far more sense to me that we reinforce our left flank.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
37 pages? Exactly! Thank-you for proving my point. Could have finished at Page 7 and I doubt most of what has been posted since has added much to the discussion!

The lad is talented but how important it is that we sign him remains to be seen. Liverpool have evolved massively since Klopp put in a bid for him. If he does so again, I trust his judgement. If he doesn’t that’s good enough for me.

In the meantime, if we have money to spend, it makes far more sense to me that we reinforce our left flank.

37 pages is a pretty quiet thread on here lol mate this is a transfer forum,100% of all threads could finish after 7 pages but thats the whole point,debates and information is what its all about,nobodies coming out and saying he's the next Pele,Maradona or Ronaldo.

This kid is talented,one of the best 20 year olds around in attacking positions,whether he's worth signing is up for debate and anybodies business,signing players isn't an exact science,he could be the best player on the planet but that still doesn't mean he'd work out for us.

C

Caradoc

37 pages is a pretty quiet thread on here lol mate this is a transfer forum,100% of all threads could finish after 7 pages but thats the whole point,debates and information is what its all about,nobodies coming out and saying he's the next Pele,Maradona or Ronaldo.

This kid is talented,one of the best 20 year olds around in attacking positions,whether he's worth signing is up for debate and anybodies business,signing players isn't an exact science,he could be the best player on the planet but that still doesn't mean he'd work out for us.

The more you type the more you simply make my point for me ........ keep it going! :well done:

I can leave it there now! :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.