Christian Pulisic (AM) Borussia Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foldy

If Hazard is set on a move to Real this January then I’d imagine Chelsea will pull out all the stops for Pulisic to be their player. Like said we’ll just have to wait and see

C

Caradoc

If Eden Hazard moves to anothe club, Chelsea could go after his brother Thorgan who plays in the same position and whose path would have been blocked when he was previously at Chelsea. He’d be a cheaper option, is known to favour a return to Chelsea and a known quantity to the club. There may even be a buy-back option, in fact I have a feeling there is.

What I’m saying is, I don’t see why Pulisic would be the obvious or only option to replace Hazard Snr at Chelsea should he leave. I think for Pulisic the downside of joining LFC is the quality of players in his position(s) and how much game time he would get. The obvious reason for leaving Dortmund is that rightly or wrongly he’s not getting much game time there.

Hmmmmm .......... ! :think:

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
The way I see our offense we have Mo, Mane, Bobby, Shaq, Ox and Keita for 4 positions. We actually need 1 player who can rotate frequently with that starting 4 of Mo, Mane, Bobby and Shaq- say a 5th choice player. If we get Pulisic, then to be frank he will be behind all those players and will be 7th choice rather than 5th choice. Rather than Pulisic, I would give game time to Wilson. But ideally we get 1 great player (Werner, Dybala, Griezmann) and loan Wilson, Solanke, Woodburn, Brewster. Sell Lallana, DS, Origi, Ings and Markovic. Even if we want to raid Dortmund I would go for Sancho or the super sub Alcacer ahead of Pulisic.
From Hazard to Pulisic would be a great downgrade. He can go to Chelsea and it will be fun to see them struggle.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Well, well. Some papers are saying he's signing for us and some for the plastic revolution....
There's a fly on a wall in either London or Liverpool who knows the answer.

I, though, don't see either club wanting him. We can't give him the minutes he wants and Chelsea will use him as their back-up to whoever they get to replace Hazard.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
Pulisic is good but not a can't miss player. To be honest, besides the fact that he is American (for the development of the U.S. market)... I don't see too much reason to choose him. He hasn't really pushed on in the way people were expecting of him.

Someone like Lautaro Martinez (now at Inter) looks a great alternative, and I think he could be a huge striker in the future. He'll want playing time though which is the problem with any star or star in the making.

C

Caradoc

Pulisic is good but not a can't miss player. To be honest, besides the fact that he is American (for the development of the U.S. market)... I don't see too much reason to choose him. He hasn't really pushed on in the way people were expecting of him.

Someone like Lautaro Martinez (now at Inter) looks a great alternative, and I think he could be a huge striker in the future. He'll want playing time though which is the problem with any star or star in the making.

Unfortunately I can see Real Madrid (or Barca) stepping in very soon. Exceptional talent though.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
Unfortunately I can see Real Madrid (or Barca) stepping in very soon. Exceptional talent though.
I think we need to stop having this inferiority complex. Real Madrid and Barca are no longer the dominant clubs they used to be... and many players are now attracted to the wealth and competitiveness of the EPL.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if many players viewed Liverpool as an equally attractive or even more appealing location than Real Madrid or Barca.

Great player and we should be looking at players of this calibre to bring in and groom.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
I think we need to stop having this inferiority complex. Real Madrid and Barca are no longer the dominant clubs they used to be... and many players are now attracted to the wealth and competitiveness of the EPL.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if many players viewed Liverpool as an equally attractive or even more appealing location than Real Madrid or Barca.

Great player and we should be looking at players of this calibre to bring in and groom.
Yes but, Real/Barca/PSG/BM/City can give crazy wages even for young potential players.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
It'll be interesting what gets announced when the window opens, if anything. Talksport isn't reliable at all, but I don't know Kelly well enough to know whether he's full of it.

I've always been under the impression that Bild is a bit more reliable than the rags in the UK, but I may be wrong on that front.
Various people have differing views regarding how reliable Bild is, but I often refer to Talksport as Talkshite and for very good reason. Which is right, we will find out in January, or we may never find out.

C

Caradoc

South American players are known to favour these 2 Spanish giants, especially youngsters, and he appears to be very talented. Nothing at all to do with an inferiority complex, just a valid observation and opinion.

We don’t even know if Klopp is considering him let alone actively trying to sign him.

I’ll steer clear of replying to your posts in future. Jeez!

Last edited by a moderator:

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
Wtf? Please don’t be so insulting!

South American players are known to favour these 2 Spanish giants, especially youngsters, and he appears to be very talented. Nothing at all to do with an inferiority complex, just a valid observation and opinion.

I’ll steer clear of replying to your posts in future. Jesus!
Apologies, wasn't meant to be condescending or even be targeted towards you but instead the prevailing automatic assumption that many of us fans view Barca and Real Madrid as an automatic better choice. And in this particular case, Lautaro Martinez's agent and father were quoted as saying he turned down Real Madrid over fear of playing opportunities thus choosing Inter instead.

We are seeing more and more young players who value opportunity as much as a "glamour" club.

That was not a personal attack but perhaps a harsh and poor choice of vocabulary. I guess I'm a bit surprised at how a quick comment was interpreted so differently then what was intended and I'm sorry.

Kopstar

★★★★★
Apologies, wasn't meant to be condescending or even be targeted towards you but instead the prevailing automatic assumption that many of us fans view Barca and Real Madrid as an automatic better choice. And in this particular case, Lautaro Martinez's agent and father were quoted as saying he turned down Real Madrid over fear of playing opportunities thus choosing Inter instead.

We are seeing more and more young players who value opportunity as much as a "glamour" club.

That was not a personal attack but perhaps a harsh and poor choice of vocabulary. I guess I'm a bit surprised at how a quick comment was interpreted so differently then what was intended and I'm sorry.
Your comment was fine and a valid point. Barca and Real will not always be the preferred destination for young South American players.

Foldy

Any good agent would tell his player that there’s a chance if he goes to Chelsea they’ll put him out on loan.

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.

We don’t even know if Klopp is considering him let alone actively trying to sign him.

I’ll steer clear of replying to your posts in future. Jeez!
As a Brazilian, I think I can give my 2 cents about this.

In my point of view, Brazilians usually do favour Real and Barcelona, but it's not like it's something definitive or whatever, far away from that. The main reason imo is the language. It's very easy to learn Spanish if you are Brazilian (I don't speak a word of Spanish, but I understand maybe 60% when someone speaks). Another reason is that there are a lot of very successful Brazilians in both Real and Barcelona's history (Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho Gaúcho, Neymar, Marcelo, Casemiro, Daniel Alves, Romário, Deco).

But as I said before, it's not like it's something definitive. Nowadays, Brazilian players usually think about a big club in a big league in Europe, no matter which one. Sometimes even a "middle" club, just to enter Europe. And Liverpool are a big club in a big league.

For example, I already spoke here ~a year ago about four players that Liverpool should have looked: Lucas Paquetá, Arthur, Lautaro and Richarlison. They were in Brazil/Argentina at that time.

Lucas is playing for Milan, Lautaro for Inter and Arthur for Barcelona.

In Arthur's case, it was all about how Barcelona targeted him. They did everything they could to have him. I didn't see any other club doing the same, showing interest, having conversations, meetings and stuff like that. Arthur is a starter for Barcelona when fit, very cheap (£32m) and he would probably also be a starter almost anywhere else.

Paquetá could be an absolute gem for us, a perfect fit in our midfield, but again we didn't show any interest (I even think he will have a very hard time at Milan because they are a mess). I can only remember about Guardiola's call to Gabriel Jesus and now another call to Everton (Grêmio player) or even how Watford got themselves a very talented player like Richarlison.

Lautaro is another gem. Could be a great backup for Salah or even Firmino.

Until a few years ago, it was very rare seeing Brazilian players in EPL, now we have lots of them: Fernandinho, Gabriel Jesus, Richarlison, Bernard, Fabinho, Alisson, Firmino, Fred. Most of them are quality players, but there are many other quality South-American players here in South America. It's all about showing some interest, otherwise, Real and Barcelona will keep poaching the best South-American players for cheap because there's no competition. And the other ones will go to Germany, Italy, France...

Vinícius Jr. is another example. This boy will be almost as good as Neymar (maybe better, he has better number as a teenager) if things go the way it should be. Real Madrid targeted this boy since he was 16 years old. We all know about Barcelona and Messi story, right?

Yeah, I know about visa issues, but the expensive players (for example Jesus and Richarlison) made it after some insistance. I think it's more of an excuse not to look for South-American players instead of European ones. But thinking this way we are losing quality talent and I think we will keep doing that. I can't remember Klopp buying South American players. I don't think he likes them (the ones who are still developing, not the established ones, not even at Dortmund he used to buy them).

___

About Pulisic, I don't even care where he goes. We will buy a better player next season. Don't think he is as good as people think (same case as Rabiot). Prefer invest in Wilson.

C

Caradoc

You made a valid point both times. No need to apologise. I just didn’t appreciate the bit about ‘inferiority complex’. I don’t think that I, the club or its supporters suffer from one when it comes to Barca and Real Madrird. As far as I am concerned they’re both shithouses who get away with far more than other clubs for reasons best known to UEFA.

The reality is though that South American players have a bit of a ‘thing’ about going to one or other of these clubs (thanks Koon for explaining more about the thinking behind this). Its going to be interesting to see what happens when one of these clubs comes a-calling with a serious offer/interest for Alisson, Fabinho or Firmino. Something tells me they may just get rebuffed by the player rather than the club.

As it happens I enjoy reading your posts. Thanks for bringing Lautaro Martinez to our attention. Perhaps a bit too ‘showboatish’ for Klopp but I’m sure he’d soon knock that out of the lad and get him to focus on his real footballing strengths.

Sweeting

On the American market thing. I just can't see that being a factor until it is a world cup year.

Yeah the game is growing in the States, but not so much that we need to pay £80m to get the market's top player. "Soccer" still barely gets a mention on most sports news and sports talking head shows there and if it does get brought up then it is breezed past quickly.

It would be like an NFL team trading a 1st round pick for Jay Ajayi or Efe Obada just to take advantage of the UK fanbase. Yeah they would get more shirt sales but significantly more? Probably not.

I spoke to my brother in law just yesterday and asked how Christian Pulisic is thought of in the States - he is American, he loves all sports and only watches US sports shows on TV, a stats nerd - and after looking at me blankly for a few seconds says "Ohh yes I do know him, he is pretty good right?"

Hard to imagine a scenario where we sell 5 million shirts to a country where even the sports nerds barely have him on their radar until the World Cup.

If Klopp thinks he is the perfect fit then we should sign him. If Klopp thinks he is just an alright fit and the main driver is commercial guys wanting a US marketing ploy then we should stay away.

GaryBarlow99

£45m seems fair but I would hope we were looking at a more complete player to compete with the front 3. If Klopp wants him and we miss out then that would be the most frustrating thing.

Last edited:

Red over the water

I’m hoping we sign Pulisic as I think he’s a good player, and can cover a few positions. But if we don’t, I’m chilled about it as we are an excellent team and there will be other players. The recruitment team is almost as good as the actual team, and that saying something!

T.C.B

I have no idea if Pulisic is good enough, I haven't seen him play enough to have an opinion.
My only comment is that Klopp is on record as saying how highly he rates the player and if he was available he'd be interested. I think those remarks were made after a summer friendly if I'm not mistaken.
If he comes on the market I think we might have a sniff but I think it might depend on the price, how Klopp sees Shaq, Ox and Wilson as long term 1st choice players, and possibly the finish of Lallanas Liverpool career.
Klopp, as always, knows best.

C

Caradoc

After today’s performance its difficult to see where Pulisic would get any sort of regular gametime. If he hasn’t already signed it might just be enough to frighten the poor lad off.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
After today’s performance its difficult to see where Pulisic would get any sort of regular gametime. If he hasn’t already signed it might just be enough to frighten the poor lad off.
.......just close the rumour mill until the summer :well done:

Maria

I still think we need a couple of signings for the rest of the season. We also have Champions League and F.A cup in my view and we do need to make contingency plans for potential injuries and have some reserves as a security. Remember, the first two seasons, we had so many injuries especially those blooming hamstring ones

Status
Not open for further replies.