Christian Pulisic (AM) Borussia Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
I think adding Pulisic is the best of both worlds - a nod towards the present with a good squad option and a nod towards the future with Pulisic's youth. I do feel he is a bit overrated because of his status at the only American of international consequence, but ~50M is probably a reasonable fee in an inflated market.

I'd be fine if they turned him down and looked elsewhere, as Edwards and Klopp have earned the benefit of the doubt thus far. But our pursuit of Fekir last summer was a tacit acknowledgement by the scouts that they felt that we needed to add another AM or Winger. Slotting in Pulisic on the wing in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 would afford Klopp a lot of flexibility with the rest of his front line.

C

Caradoc

I think adding Pulisic is the best of both worlds - a nod towards the present with a good squad option and a nod towards the future with Pulisic's youth. I do feel he is a bit overrated because of his status at the only American of international consequence, but ~50M is probably a reasonable fee in an inflated market.

I'd be fine if they turned him down and looked elsewhere, as Edwards and Klopp have earned the benefit of the doubt thus far. But our pursuit of Fekir last summer was a tacit acknowledgement by the scouts that they felt that we needed to add another AM or Winger. Slotting in Pulisic on the wing in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 would afford Klopp a lot of flexibility with the rest of his front line.

We’ve got plenty of players who can play the wide role. If we sign the lad it will be for his ability to play across the front line but particularly centrally. Fekir is currently way ahead of Pulisic in that role.

I’d rather just wait and see what Klopp’s intentions are regarding Pulisic but as I said in my previous post the most obvious reason for the lad wanting to leave Dortmund is game time and that is by no means guaranteed at Liverpool.

At the end of the day, he won’t do what’s right for Liverpool Football Club or its fans he’ll do what’s right for Christian Pulisic based on the options available to him and quite rightly so.

vjcpatriot

Looks like Chelsea have wrapped up the deal for Pulisic for 50m euros. That is fine to me.

IMO we go for Werner in the next summer to shore up striker. And the summer after that we go after Jadon Sancho who is more valuable to us as an English player.

big noyd

if he's replacing willian, which would be my guess, he'll be ok there. if he and higuain or somebody like that go in as hazard goes out, maybe not

he could succeed here, but so could a lot of attacking players. i'm not going to have a hissyfit over it as if he's tommy lemar

jackh1092

Won't claim to know much about him but at the price + considering he wasn't Dortmunds most important player- he seems wildly overpriced considering his contract situation.

StevenAlonso

Thought Klopp wanted him close to 12 million couple of years ago. Would have been a great buy at that time. 25-30 million would have been reasonable for him but close to 60 million is bit steep.

Mark Thurgood

Fair play to him for wanting to stay at Dortmund for the season, as they are top of the league by 6pts (I think) and lost once, gives him a chance to say goodbye at the end. Surely a Hazard replacement.

Herb

Sarri just the other day said how difficult it is to find a place for Hudson-Odoi because of how young he is and the necessity to win immediately, and then they go out and spend €64m on 20yo Pulisic a few days later.

No doubt a very good player, but for me I’d like his underlying numbers to be much better than they are.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Dortmund official twitter has just confirmed the transfer of Pulisic to Chelsea for nearly 64 million EUR. He will move there in summer 2019 but right now, he will stay at Dortmund as a loan player.
Twitter Link
Thank god for that. Now we can put an end to the interminable debate about this underrated, unproven and over-priced marketing tool.

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
Overrated player. For £58m you would expect a much better player. As I said before, we might have dodged a bullet not having him or Rabiot, for different reasons.

Last edited:

Nikola

Mediocre outcome is the probable outcome.
Admin
I was wrong, I thought Liverpool would get him for half this price and I predicted no club would pay anything close to 70 millions asked by Dortmund but, given his current form, I think they took Chelsea to the cleaners. I think his success will depend on whether he's used as Willian's/Pedro's replacement in the first XI, rather than Hazard's - Hazard he ain't, though 99% of players don't come close to Hazard's level of talent and numbers. As another pacy threat on the wing (I presume), Pulišić will do well under Sarri, he'll like working with him.

As a side note, this probably spells the end of Hudson-Odoi's Chelsea career. That said, all the papers are saying they are looking to get something like 40 million euros (or pounds, I'm really not sure) from Bayern or whomever might be interested. If they manage to get that for a kid who hasn't played a full game for Chelsea yet, Pulišić's transfer fee won't look as daft.

Status
Not open for further replies.