• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Conspiracy? Bias? Dumb luck? Why do LFC get shit decisions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
He had big enough balls to over-rule his linesman on a clearly offside goal a few weeks back.
Wasn't for Man City was it? :rolleyes:

Bias or not, the over riding media enthusiasm for that fucking club doing this quadruple is truly sickening.
Keys and Gray were falling over each other to be the first to mention the Gerrard slip last night in their feeble attempt to basically write us off.

Last edited:

Incognito

The Normal One
It really was the most blatant penalty, a stonewaller. I didn’t recognise the ref, but I do remember thinking, as Naby broke into the box, if he gets cut down this lad isn’t giving it. Sometimes you just know. He was doing that hero hand waving stance even as Naby was falling.

I think it has got to the point where even if Refs are 90% sure, they still don’t give. The shit they get for not giving something that was, is a fraction of the shit they get for giving one that wasn’t. Cowards.
If this is the case, I am actually scared once VAR comes into picture. The ref had a clear view and didn't award the penalty. VAR won't change his decision in this case. Although for the goal we scored, I wouldn't be surprised if they look back into it and then disallow it claiming it was offside.

The little favors we do get because of incompetence will also be gone once VAR comes in and the ones which we anyways don't get would continue to do so! :indifferent:

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
It really was the most blatant penalty, a stonewaller. I didn’t recognise the ref, but I do remember thinking, as Naby broke into the box, if he gets cut down this lad isn’t giving it. Sometimes you just know. He was doing that hero hand waving stance even as Naby was falling.

I think it has got to the point where even if Refs are 90% sure, they still don’t give. The shit they get for not giving something that was, is a fraction of the shit they get for giving one that wasn’t. Cowards.
I agree with nearly everything you say if applied just for us. The shit they get in the media for not giving a blatant penalty to another top 6 side is massive. It's analysed over and over on sky (biggest tv arm for football), talk sport (one of the biggest radio arms for football) and highlighted in several newspapers including one of the bigger red tops and the Times, one of the bigger highbrow papers. That to me is part of the normal unfair media reaction. Those big sides have more fans than the smaller sides so the media write what will appease and appeal to their fans and sell clicks, papers and viewing numbers. It doesn't seem to happen for us though.

cynicaloldgit

Offside by an armpit
Ad-free Member
sky (biggest tv arm for football), talk sport (one of the biggest radio arms for football) and highlighted in several newspapers including one of the bigger red tops and the Times
And guess what all four have in common?

That’s right- they’re all owned by News Corp, aka the Murdoch Empire.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I don’t see the problem?
You don't see a problem?

BBC going on about how great Salah was. Meanwhile Sky mentioning how it took another late goal for Liverpool, highlighting the subs being needed to rescue the game and referencing Salah being on a goal drought? Only one compliment thrown in towards Henderson.

Yes everything said by both sources is factually correct but the focus for Sky, the lack of positive focus on Salah and the backhanded compliments are a million miles away from the way BBC reported on it.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Yet they love the Manchester clubs.
Which really answers a lot of questions. There was rumour years ago that Murdoch had shares in Utd, prior to the Glazer takeover. Not sure how true that is, but it would explain a few things.

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
Wasn't for Man City was it? :rolleyes:

Bias or not, the over riding media enthusiasm for that fucking club doing this quadruple is truly sickening.
Keys and Gray were falling over each other to be the first to mention the Gerrard slip last night in their feeble attempt to basically write us off.

Personally, I am quite happy for the media to be fawning over Man City and their quest for the quadruple,
the media building the pressure up on them, means less pressure on us, hopefully they will buckle at some point
under the strain of it all

Meanwhile we will just go about our business doing what we need to, without too much media attention

As for Gray and Keys, fuck them!

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Personally, I am quite happy for the media to be fawning over Man City and their quest for the quadruple,
the media building the pressure up on them, means less pressure on us, hopefully they will buckle at some point
under the strain of it all

Meanwhile we will just go about our business doing what we need to, without too much media attention

As for Gray and Keys, fuck them!
Can understand what you are saying but it also places pressure on officials. Officials are human beings. If they are trying to play things 100% fair and straight down the middle this isn't a fair situation. The pressure to get things right is already huge. But the pressure to NOT get things wrong against City is just that little bit bigger. To be the official that gets a big call wrong that stops City completing the first quadruple could literally be career suicide right now.

SBYM

La presión es para neumáticos
Ad-free Member
You don't see a problem?

BBC going on about how great Salah was. Meanwhile Sky mentioning how it took another late goal for Liverpool, highlighting the subs being needed to rescue the game and referencing Salah being on a goal drought? Only one compliment thrown in towards Henderson.

Yes everything said by both sources is factually correct but the focus for Sky, the lack of positive focus on Salah and the backhanded compliments are a million miles away from the way BBC reported on it.
But from the examples you have given, the BBC also highlights a late goal, whilst the last two Sky examples can easily be read as positive, i.e. the positive impact of the subs, and I'm not sure 'Salah strikes, Henderson shines' could be read any other way.

So to answer your question...yes. Absolutely someone could claim those headlines/links you have highlighted are written in the same way. At the very least, there is no doubt they can be read in the same way.

Last edited:

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
They are getting twitchy over at Blue Moon. We have them on the run :celebrating:

We won't lose this title through fault of our own. It'll be lost thanks to Moss,Pawson,Tierney,Friend,Dean or whichever **** Reilly tells to do it.
Its their year.

SBYM

Ad-free Member
'Tis funny but...

theres always tommorrow

If we win it this year I’m changing my name tag
Don’t buy into the conspiracy/media bias theories. We haven’t won the title for almost 30 years. We have no right to act like we have been on a par with teams that have. When we earn the title we earn the respect and attitudes will change.

As for the clubs that are the media darlings, we all know why. They have had more (and in some cases better) world class players and managers in the past than us. Whether it’s the financial situation behind them or not, it’s winning that counts. No one gives a f*** after the title is won.

This team and this manager can do it but everyone and I mean everyone expects us to f*** it up. It’s soo tight in every game that any decision going against us seems like an injustice but I don’t think it’s a conspiracy just occasional poor ref calls.

Our manager doesn’t get phased by them and neither should we, it’s a totally negative distraction and probably whipped up by our competitors because they know how we will react.

I really hope we win it because if we do I think it will probably change the attitude of our supporters. Too many years of disappointment and too many tight as f*** games.

I’m in the mind set that now wants to look back on this season with good memories. Right now its as uncomfortable and as nerve racking as I can ever remember. Going to stop that.

Five more heart attack and controversial games to go. I’m really going to try to enjoy it

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
But from the examples you have given, the BBC also highlights a late goal, whilst the last two Sky examples can easily be read as positive, i.e. the positive impact of the subs, and I'm not sure 'Salah strikes, Henderson shines' could be read any other way.

So to answer your question...yes. Absolutely someone could claim those headlines/links you have highlighted are written in the same way. At the very least, there is no doubt they can be read in the same way.
They could claim it they'd be wrong.

You really think the wording is the same? Really?

Salah scores BRILLIANT late SOLO goal to send Liverpool top

'A SPECIAL moment' - Salah BREAKS Torres RECORD with LANDMARK Liverpool goal

Salah reaches 50 PL goals for Liverpool: Watch five of HIS BEST

Or;

Salah SENDS Liverpool top in late show
Mo Salah ENDED his GOAL DROUGHT as Liverpool returned to the top of the Premier League with ANOTHER LATE SHOW in a 3-1 win at Southampton.

Carra: Klopp's SUBS were KEY

Salah STRIKES, Henderson SHINES

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Don’t buy into the conspiracy/media bias theories. We haven’t won the title for almost 30 years. We have no right to act like we have been on a par with teams that have. When we earn the title we earn the respect and attitudes will change.

As for the clubs that are the media darlings, we all know why. They have had more (and in some cases better) world class players and managers in the past than us. Whether it’s the financial situation behind them or not, it’s winning that counts. No one gives a f*** after the title is won.

This team and this manager can do it but everyone and I mean everyone expects us to f*** it up. It’s soo tight in every game that any decision going against us seems like an injustice but I don’t think it’s a conspiracy just occasional poor ref calls.

Our manager doesn’t get phased by them and neither should we, it’s a totally negative distraction and probably whipped up by our competitors because they know how we will react.

I really hope we win it because if we do I think it will probably change the attitude of our supporters. Too many years of disappointment and too many tight as f*** games.

I’m in the mind set that now wants to look back on this season with good memories. Right now its as uncomfortable and as nerve racking as I can ever remember. Going to stop that.

Five more heart attack and controversial games to go. I’m really going to try to enjoy it
Except Spurs are and always have been one of the biggest media darlings.

SBYM

Ad-free Member
They could claim it they'd be wrong.

You really think the wording is the same? Really?

Salah scores BRILLIANT late SOLO goal to send Liverpool top

'A SPECIAL moment' - Salah BREAKS Torres RECORD with LANDMARK Liverpool goal

Salah reaches 50 PL goals for Liverpool: Watch five of HIS BEST

Or;

Salah SENDS Liverpool top in late show
Mo Salah ENDED his GOAL DROUGHT as Liverpool returned to the top of the Premier League with ANOTHER LATE SHOW in a 3-1 win at Southampton.

Carra: Klopp's SUBS were KEY

Salah STRIKES, Henderson SHINES
In a thread about bias this post is a fucking pisser.

I've highlighted the particularly funny part.

Ps. I'm still scratching me head about the last one...

Pps. I note you've put LATE in caps for one of the Sky examples, but have failed to do so in one of the BBC examples. Pretty shoddy reasoning.

Last edited:

Dutch

Ad-free Member
If this is the case, I am actually scared once VAR comes into picture. The ref had a clear view and didn't award the penalty. VAR won't change his decision in this case. Although for the goal we scored, I wouldn't be surprised if they look back into it and then disallow it claiming it was offside.

The little favors we do get because of incompetence will also be gone once VAR comes in and the ones which we anyways don't get would continue to do so! :indifferent:
The way VAR works over here in the Netherlands is that they don't look at the position of the referee but only if it is a foul or not and that they advise him to have a second look if they think it is a foul.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
So, a few things to retain from last night:

Salah was offside at the start of the action for our first goal. I hear that VAR wouldn't have overruled it, which I find strange, but anyway. A refereeing error in our favour. I haven't been on Bluemoon or Redcafe, but I can imagine what is being written in there...

In the second half, it was a penalty for me. Another refereeing error, this time not in our favour. Of course, we have posters in here accusing the ref of bias against us. VAR would probably have overruled the ref and given a penalty for us.

So, what to retain from this?
  1. the ref hadn't a great night.
  2. his errors evened themselves out over the game, and as we were the better team over the two halves of the game, we managed to beat our opposition.

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
The "smaller teams" do tend to get away with the shitty tackles more almost like the referees allow it to even up the game towards a "less talented" team,they can kick you more because you have better players kind of thing.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
In a thread about bias this post is a fucking pisser.

I've highlighted the particularly funny part.

Ps. I'm still scratching me head about the last one...

Pps. I note you've put LATE in caps for one of the Sky examples, but have failed to do so in one of the BBC examples. Pretty shoddy reasoning.

The caps are to highlight the focus of the headlines.

Put yourself into the position of a casual neutral who didn't watch the game or click on the articles. What do the headlines tell You?

BBC tells you a player called Salah scored a sensational goal, singlehandedly, late in a game which Liverpool won. He's broken records with the goal and he scores a lot of good goals and you can watch a video of 5 of the best.

Sky tells you that a player called Salah scored. That Liverpool left it late.... again. Subs rescued the game for them. A player called Henderson shone.

I don't know how people can think this is even reporting.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Salah was offside at the start of the action for our first goal. I hear that VAR wouldn't have overruled it, which I find strange, but anyway.
From what I have been reading the reason was that Southampton has multiple chances to clear the ball before we actually scored.

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
The "smaller teams" do tend to get away with the shitty tackles more almost like the referees allow it to even up the game towards a "less talented" team,they can kick you more because you have better players kind of thing.

So you think there is a bias for the little team, as they dont have talented players,
and there is a bias against the big teams as they have talented players? :)

Not aimed at you Scott, but I think I this thread will only get worse to as the games to play become less and less
and we (the fans) feel the pressure grow

Status
Not open for further replies.