• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Conspiracy? Bias? Dumb luck? Why do LFC get shit decisions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
The "smaller teams" do tend to get away with the shitty tackles more almost like the referees allow it to even up the game towards a "less talented" team,they can kick you more because you have better players kind of thing.

So you think there is a bias for the little team, as they dont have talented players,
and there is a bias against the big teams as they have talented players? :)

Not aimed at you Scott, but I think I this thread will only get worse to as the games to play become less and less
and we (the fans) feel the pressure grow

SBYM

If you have something else to do, go and do it...
Ad-free Member
The caps are to highlight the focus of the headlines.

Put yourself into the position of a casual neutral who didn't watch the game or click on the articles. What do the headlines tell You?

BBC tells you a player called Salah scored a sensational goal, singlehandedly, late in a game which Liverpool won. He's broken records with the goal and he scores a lot of good goals and you can watch a video of 5 of the best.

Sky tells you that a player called Salah scored. That Liverpool left it late.... again. Subs rescued the game for them. A player called Henderson shone.

I don't know how people can think this is even reporting.
Does the use of 'goal drought' not imply that Salah 'scores a lot of good goals'? Does to me.

Strikes and shines...these imply strength, skill and excellence to me.

'Leaving it late' implies that Southampton were on top early, but unless we were watching different games, this is a pretty indisputable point, to say nothing of the fact that the BBC also highlighted this.

And I'm sorry, but the headline 'Carra: Klopp's subs were key' does not mean that 'subs rescued the game for them', particularly since you are asking us to approach this is if we are 'a casual neutral who didn't watch the game or click on the articles'. How, in that case, would we know Liverpool had been behind (which is what your use of rescue says to me)? Maybe Carra made that comment after an arm-wrestle of a game and the subs broke the deadlock?

At any rate, this particular analysis certainly isn't the evidence you are making it out to be. At least, I don't think it is...

And I do find it interesting that Sky now have a couple of vids on Mo;

Scoring goals always on my mind
WATCh & VOTE: Salah's top 5

Mo puts bums on seats, it seems, and in the end, that's all Rupert really gives a shit about....money.

Last edited:

dockers_strike

So you think there is a bias for the little team, as they dont have talented players,
and there is a bias against the big teams as they have talented players? :)

Not aimed at you Scott, but I think I this thread will only get worse to as the games to play become less and less
and we (the fans) feel the pressure grow
Well, it looks to me, especially at Anfield, that some refs do try and even the game up by turning down quite blatant free kicks, pens and general hacking down of our players while in the same game, giving the oppos the free kicks for less. Now of course Im biased but how else do you explain two virtually identical tackle where one is punished with a free kick while the other, play is waved on?

Let's take two examples both involving Keita and penalty claims, first against Leicester and again v Southampton. In both those examples, you'd rightly expect a direct free kick if they happen anywhere else on the park. In the box, the refs seem to apply a higher test before awarding the pen.

SBYM

If you have something else to do, go and do it...
Ad-free Member
Addendum to the above...

'Carra: Klopp's subs were key', seems to me to be a pretty positive statement about JK's in-game tactical nous and managerial prowess.

Language, hey?

jaffod

So, a few things to retain from last night:

Salah was offside at the start of the action for our first goal. I hear that VAR wouldn't have overruled it, which I find strange, but anyway. A refereeing error in our favour. I haven't been on Bluemoon or Redcafe, but I can imagine what is being written in there...

In the second half, it was a penalty for me. Another refereeing error, this time not in our favour. Of course, we have posters in here accusing the ref of bias against us. VAR would probably have overruled the ref and given a penalty for us.

So, what to retain from this?
  1. the ref hadn't a great night.
  2. his errors evened themselves out over the game, and as we were the better team over the two halves of the game, we managed to beat our opposition.
There's a major difference between the 2 incidents.

On the offside the referee has no say (unless he's over-ruling his linesman as he did for Sterling's goal against Watford) and he's generally relying on his linesman to get it right. Last night was one of those where the lino needs 2 pairs of eyes, the distance between the player passing the ball and the player receiving it is so big there's always a chance he'll get it wrong.

The penalty was clear cut. The referee was close and had a clear view of it. He didn't need 2 pairs of eyes to see it. He just chose not to, just like Atkinson at Anfield, Taylor at the Emptyhad and numerous referees last season that turned down blatant penalties.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
There's a major difference between the 2 incidents.

On the offside the referee has no say (unless he's over-ruling his linesman as he did for Sterling's goal against Watford) and he's generally relying on his linesman to get it right. Last night was one of those where the lino needs 2 pairs of eyes, the distance between the player passing the ball and the player receiving it is so big there's always a chance he'll get it wrong.

The penalty was clear cut. The referee was close and had a clear view of it. He didn't need 2 pairs of eyes to see it. He just chose not to, just like Atkinson at Anfield, Taylor at the Emptyhad and numerous referees last season that turned down blatant penalties.
Whatever floats your boat... I didn't write the above to convince you to abnegate your theories, I just made a summary of the situation yesterday evening: two ref errors evened themselves out. Full stop.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
They could claim it they'd be wrong.

You really think the wording is the same? Really?

Salah scores BRILLIANT late SOLO goal to send Liverpool top

'A SPECIAL moment' - Salah BREAKS Torres RECORD with LANDMARK Liverpool goal

Salah reaches 50 PL goals for Liverpool: Watch five of HIS BEST

Or;

Salah SENDS Liverpool top in late show
Mo Salah ENDED his GOAL DROUGHT as Liverpool returned to the top of the Premier League with ANOTHER LATE SHOW in a 3-1 win at Southampton.

Carra: Klopp's SUBS were KEY

Salah STRIKES, Henderson SHINES
Reaching a bit, mate. Seriously, nothing in this.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Whatever floats your boat... I didn't write the above to convince you to abnegate your theories, I just made a summary of the situation yesterday evening: two ref errors evened themselves out. Full stop.
Salah’s offside will not be subject to VAR review, because it wasn’t a direct play that resulting in our goal. VAR review won’t be called.

Hope in your heart

Admin
Salah’s offside will not be subject to VAR review, because it wasn’t a direct play that resulting in our goal. VAR review won’t be called.
Yeah I've heard that too and find it strange to be fair. If you have a technology helping you to take the right decision, why would you want not to use it? Anyway, we got lucky that the linesman didn't do his job properly yesterday night, that was my point.

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
Yeah I've heard that too and find it strange to be fair. If you have a technology helping you to take the right decision, why would you want not to use it? Anyway, we got lucky that the linesman didn't do his job properly yesterday night, that was my point.
If that exact scenario occurs next season that will cause no end of confusion. I do see you can't go back endlessly but for me it was the start of that particular attack that resulted in the goal and so was crucial to the outcome. I guess we all realise that VAR will create as many controversies as it will resolve.

jaffod

No they didn't. The ref didn't make a mistake on the offside. The linesman did, although as I said those sorts of judgements are the most difficult to call because you basically need 2 pairs of eyes.
The referee had 1 major call to make in the match, the penalty on Keita, and he got it wrong.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
If that exact scenario occurs next season that will cause no end of confusion. I do see you can't go back endlessly but for me it was the start of that particular attack that resulted in the goal and so was crucial to the outcome. I guess we all realise that VAR will create as many controversies as it will resolve.
Too right, which is why I feel the process of when and how to review the play to get the officials to review it on VAR is more important than the VAR tech itself. It’s flawed in my view...

Hope in your heart

Admin
No they didn't. The ref didn't make a mistake on the offside. The linesman did, although as I said those sorts of judgements are the most difficult to call because you basically need 2 pairs of eyes.
The referee had 1 major call to make in the match, the penalty on Keita, and he got it wrong.
There were two blatant errors in this game, one in our favour, and one against us. Is that so difficult to understand? It doesn't matter one jolt whether it's the linesman or the ref who commit the errors, the result is the same. Southampton have every right to be aggrieved by the decision to let the action go on Salah's offside, and I know for sure that you'd be livid if that had happened against us. We on the other hand have every right to be angered by that non-decision on the penalty, but please stop trying to make it out as if one was less an error as the other.

jaffod

There were two blatant errors in this game, one in our favour, and one against us. Is that so difficult to understand? It doesn't matter one jolt whether it's the linesman or the ref who commit the errors, the result is the same. Southampton have every right to be aggrieved by the decision to let the action go on Salah's offside, and I know for sure that you'd be livid if that had happened against us. We on the other hand have every right to be angered by that non-decision on the penalty, but please stop trying to make it out as if one was less an error as the other.
I would be livid but I'd also recognise one was more understandable than the other, and that's the recurring theme in our games - the one's where the referee have a clear view go against us every time.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
But from the examples you have given, the BBC also highlights a late goal, whilst the last two Sky examples can easily be read as positive, i.e. the positive impact of the subs, and I'm not sure 'Salah strikes, Henderson shines' could be read any other way.

So to answer your question...yes. Absolutely someone could claim those headlines/links you have highlighted are written in the same way. At the very least, there is no doubt they can be read in the same way.
Unless they had a fight

Kenny Dalglish LFC Legend

2 blatant errors? More like 3 errors, 1 of which was blatant. 2 borderline offsides 1 given 1 not, it happens and 1 blatant penalty not given. Now you are one of the ones I was referring to who has to go completely the opposite way of bias. Let's try and find a middle ground shall we?

Don’t buy into the conspiracy/media bias theories. We haven’t won the title for almost 30 years. We have no right to act like we have been on a par with teams that have. When we earn the title we earn the respect and attitudes will change.

As for the clubs that are the media darlings, we all know why. They have had more (and in some cases better) world class players and managers in the past than us. Whether it’s the financial situation behind them or not, it’s winning that counts. No one gives a f*** after the title is won.

This team and this manager can do it but everyone and I mean everyone expects us to f*** it up. It’s soo tight in every game that any decision going against us seems like an injustice but I don’t think it’s a conspiracy just occasional poor ref calls.

Our manager doesn’t get phased by them and neither should we, it’s a totally negative distraction and probably whipped up by our competitors because they know how we will react.

I really hope we win it because if we do I think it will probably change the attitude of our supporters. Too many years of disappointment and too many tight as f*** games.

I’m in the mind set that now wants to look back on this season with good memories. Right now its as uncomfortable and as nerve racking as I can ever remember. Going to stop that.

Five more heart attack and controversial games to go. I’m really going to try to enjoy it
Sorry but a lot of this is Tosh IMO. I reckon you are a younger fan because I can rember when LFC were winning everything. I would pick up the paper turn to the sports pages and be met with some story about manure.
We do deserve respect for everything we've done as a club. But every club should expect the same level of fairness from the officials and the FA, league etc.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Reaching a bit, mate. Seriously, nothing in this.
Tend to agree with that example, bit of a stretch.
Interestingly (or not), the top 4 stories on the BBC site this morning are Barca, Bayern, Benzema double and Kean goal for Juve.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
The stock answer will be that Watford and say Chelsea could claim negative bias from that table.
But if we contextualise the table, Chelsea had Mourinho for part of that period. Limited attack.
We had Suarez, Salah, Gerrard all attacking players who got kicked and hacked consistentley. Ergo, one would imagine we would have more opportunity to win penalties. Strange.

theres always tommorrow

If we win it this year I’m changing my name tag
Sorry but a lot of this is Tosh IMO. I reckon you are a younger fan because I can rember when LFC were winning everything. I would pick up the paper turn to the sports pages and be met with some story about manure.
We do deserve respect for everything we've done as a club. But every club should expect the same level of fairness from the officials and the FA, league etc.
Actually, I’m not. I was there when we were still winning everything but that was a different time. I can still remember the confidence that we had in games that were going against us. It didn’t matter who we played and what the score was, if we still had time on the clock we knew we would still win. The opposition would shit themselves in the last 20 mins knowing what was coming. I don’t remember us needing help or fairness from officials. We were simply unplayable when we were on it.....god I loved having to think about how that felt again (thanks for that)

There’s never been a team like it despite Manures money and their managers manipulation of officials (different thread).

But you make a good point. The team that is in the spotlight receives the love of the media and City are getting that, at the moment, but I don’t think unfairly. They have a top class manager and play some lovely football, have some of the best footballers in the world and this year look like they finally have the desire to live up to their hype. (won’t last when Pep leaves)

We are the contenders, yet to succeed, with a recent history of failing at the final step. Overcome that and we are back where we belong. Then you will see the love and attention that we seem to crave.

Personally, I don’t give a fuck, I just want us to win it and couldn’t care less what anyone thinks about us. Love us or hate us, if we win in it we will deserve it. One things for certain, no one will ignore us or underestimate us again.

Actually, I’m not. I was there when we were still winning everything but that was a different time. I can still remember the confidence that we had in games that were going against us. It didn’t matter who we played and what the score was, if we still had time on the clock we knew we would still win. The opposition would shit themselves in the last 20 mins knowing what was coming. I don’t remember us needing help or fairness from officials. We were simply unplayable when we were on it.....god I loved having to think about how that felt again (thanks for that)

There’s never been a team like it despite Manures money and their managers manipulation of officials (different thread).

But you make a good point. The team that is in the spotlight receives the love of the media and City are getting that, at the moment, but I don’t think unfairly. They have a top class manager and play some lovely football, have some of the best footballers in the world and this year look like they finally have the desire to live up to their hype. (won’t last when Pep leaves)

We are the contenders, yet to succeed, with a recent history of failing at the final step. Overcome that and we are back where we belong. Then you will see the love and attention that we seem to crave.

Personally, I don’t give a fuck, I just want us to win it and couldn’t care less what anyone thinks about us. Love us or hate us, if we win in it we will deserve it. One things for certain, no one will ignore us or underestimate us again.
Love and attention from the media? Same as you lar, couldn't care less but it did used to wind me when I wanted to read about Liverpool's triumph and all there was was a small paragraph. As regards man city well money has changed the landscape but I prefer the way we're doing it.
It was like as a kid playing footy and the other team would go 5-0 up and some of the snivellers would all it's not fair lets swap some players around. No way. Let's just put more effort in and do them or get beat trying. Self respect and all that.

Hope in your heart

Admin
2 blatant errors? More like 3 errors, 1 of which was blatant. 2 borderline offsides 1 given 1 not, it happens and 1 blatant penalty not given. Now you are one of the ones I was referring to who has to go completely the opposite way of bias. Let's try and find a middle ground shall we?
Sorry not to agree with you on this, mate, I'll not try to convince you btw. To everyone his views. As far as I'm concerned, regarding the not-given penalty: after having seen replays, the pen wasn't as blatant as I first thought. Keita had already lost the ball when the defender came in. There was no way he could have done something with it, even if there hadn't been a foul. Even so, the pen could have been given, but it wasn't a stonewall penalty, rather a 50-50.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
Sorry not to agree with you on this, mate, I'll not try to convince you btw. To everyone his views. As far as I'm concerned, regarding the not-given penalty: after having seen replays, the pen wasn't as blatant as I first thought. Keita had already lost the ball when the defender came in. There was no way he could have done something with it, even if there hadn't been a foul. Even so, the pen could have been given, but it wasn't a stonewall penalty, rather a 50-50.
I also saw a still yesterday where it appears Keita is in fall before the defender reaches him. Its not the best montage but here it is:

Could have been given, we've seen it before, but after technical analysis, its not a pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.