Conspiracy? Bias? Dumb luck? Why do LFC get shit decisions?

sms1986

Not that I agree with the initial fear but you seem to use this all or nothing stance on this a lot on these matters. Teams that are being given an unfair advantage can still lose. Teams facing poor officiating against them can still win. The fact that four English sides make it to the last 8 isn't proof that there wasn't an attempt to stop it happening.
I understand that, but surely it would be easy for UEFA to fix the draw? According to some, UEFA certainly don't have trouble giving City "easy" draws.

Anfield rd Dreamer

I understand that, but surely it would be easy for UEFA to fix the draw? According to some, UEFA certainly don't have trouble giving City "easy" draws.
How do you mean fix the draw? The game still needs to be played. Other than kicking the ball into the net himself the referee could only ever influence a match not decide it.

sms1986

How do you mean fix the draw? The game still needs to be played. Other than kicking the ball into the net himself the referee could only ever influence a match not decide it.
It does, but it would be easier to fix the draw than rely on the referee to influence the game.

redaderry

Is this the tinfoil hat thread?? Why change the name?..., something fishy about this ...... hmmmmmmmm

sms1986

The naivety shown by some in this thread- it’s just incompetent refereeing, honest- would suggest that some people actually think that.
I think most who don't believe it's a conspiracy acknowledge that there is bias against Liverpool (although bias exists against and for every club) rather than just incompetence alone.

Anfield rd Dreamer

It does, but it would be easier to fix the draw than rely on the referee to influence the game.
I don't understand your point of fixing the draw. You'll have to explain how that works. The teams still have to play someone. How does fixing the draw stop them being able to win those games? I really just don't understand your point sorry.

sms1986

I don't understand your point of fixing the draw. You'll have to explain how that works. The teams still have to play someone. How does fixing the draw stop them being able to win those games? I really just don't understand your point sorry.
I don't know how they fix it either, conspiracy theorists usually go on about warm balls.

It doesn't stop them from winning the game, but rather the theory is that UEFA fix the draw to increase the chances of certain teams.

sms1986

Has a draw ever been fixed? In honesty, do you believe that draws have never been fixed?
They probably have at some point, I would think. No, I don’t believe that, I just don’t think it’s a very common occurence.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
They probably have at some point, I would think. No, I don’t believe that, I just don’t think it’s a very common occurence.
So, if it happens, albeit an uncommon occurence, do you think warming or freezing some of the balls they use to draw would be a decent method of rigging?
I think thats how it has happened in the past.

sms1986

So, if it happens, albeit an uncommon occurence, do you think warming or freezing some of the balls they use to draw would be a decent method of rigging?
I think thats how it has happened in the past.
I mentioned warming the balls a few posts ago in the thread, that seems to be the main one I see people claiming every time a rival club gets drawn against a smaller club.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Although as I pointed out, there was two seasons not too long ago where there were four English teams in the last eight.
Facts don't work for conspiracies. lol
Not that I agree with the initial fear but you seem to use this all or nothing stance on this a lot on these matters. Teams that are being given an unfair advantage can still lose. Teams facing poor officiating against them can still win. The fact that four English sides make it to the last 8 isn't proof that there wasn't an attempt to stop it happening.
Pmsl
It just never ends

Anfield rd Dreamer

Facts don't work for conspiracies. lol

Pmsl
It just never ends
As I said I don't agree with the theory I just find the "facts" used to argue against the conspiracy theory strange. "I couldn't have driven drunk officer because I drove all the way home and parked the car" style reasoning. The "facts" could still be the case even if the crime happened. Anyway enough about that. I don't believe there has been any organised conspiracies against English clubs in Europe. I do believe there is an element of unconscious bias against the English in Europe that could sometimes have an effect on officials and decisions by authorities. I also believe officials throughout Europe are more inclined to make games less rough than English teams are used to so sometimes English teams and the pundits and fans feel hard done by over decisions. But no conspiracy .

Kopstar

★★★★★
For all the world it looked like Bayern were in on the not-so-secret-agenda to get us a 6th European Cup but the referee wasn't. It really only works if there aren't two competing agendas at play during the same match...

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
This is going to keep circling untill one of the moderators closes it down.
Some people believe that there is a bias against Liverpool. Myself included. Every shred of evidence or argument we make has foundation. Sometimes what is staring at you is the least obvious thing to see.
Liverpool will win the PL the hard way. City should be punished, they are cheating. If they win, the win is flawed, tainted. But that wont matter. Decisions go against Liverpool because officials are afraid of the media. The media that is driven by the Murdoch agenda. Again, that wont matter.
The bias is real, but its not the conspiracy those arguing against try to paint. Its easy yo be smug, to insult with tin foil hats etc.

sms1986

This is going to keep circling untill one of the moderators closes it down.
It's one of those issues that nobody is going to change their mind on.

Some people believe that there is a bias against Liverpool. Myself included. Every shred of evidence or argument we make has foundation. Sometimes what is staring at you is the least obvious thing to see.
Liverpool will win the PL the hard way. City should be punished, they are cheating. If they win, the win is flawed, tainted. But that wont matter. Decisions go against Liverpool because officials are afraid of the media. The media that is driven by the Murdoch agenda. Again, that wont matter.
The bias is real, but its not the conspiracy those arguing against try to paint. Its easy yo be smug, to insult with tin foil hats etc.
And this is why it'll keep circling, because even I think there is bias against Liverpool. I just also think that there is also bias for us as well as bias for/against other clubs such as City. Every fanbase thinks that there is bias against their club whilst thinking there is bias for their rivals or the bigger clubs.

santana

no need to insult me , respect my opinion , you do not like it then it is not the end of the world !
beside after 1982 with the magical team of brazil i do not see team real football team .. anymore !

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
It was probably around the 85-minute mark that I was finally able to put my finger on something that was bugging me the entire game... it was being able to watch a match without freaking out about the utter incompetence of the officiating. Just shows that idiot officials aren't a global phenomenon and in England we seem to be particularly unlucky to have so many.
I took your quote in here, as it seems better related to the topic. Italian refs have a high standard these days it seems. I'd be all for sending the PL refs to Italy and asking the refs there to hand them a few lessons on how to become more consistent in their decisions. It's really this inconsistency from game to game, and even within a game, which fuels those bias suspicions and accusations every set of fans throws at them. But it's not bias, it's just freaking inconsistency.

Zinedine Biscan

Half-man, half-Biscuit
I took your quote in here, as it seems better related to the topic. Italian refs have a high standard these days it seems. I'd be all for sending the PL refs to Italy and asking the refs there to hand them a few lessons on how to become more consistent in their decisions. It's really this inconsistency from game to game, and even within a game, which fuels those bias suspicions and accusations every set of fans throws at them. But it's not bias, it's just freaking inconsistency.
Yup. Seeing the same situation being treated differently in different games... heck, even between different teams in the same game... is one of the most frustrating aspects of the officiating in this country. Talking about carbon-copy fouls that see one player get a red and another go completely unpunished, things like that, maddening.

Foldy

There's corruption within football, proven. Corruption in the FA? Yes, within some clubs? Yes. Agents offering managers backhanders? Yes. Rules constantly broken knowing that a fine will be imposed (Man City) and will be a drop in the ocean? Yes. Club bias from FA and FIFA/UEFA Chief Execs (David Gill)? Probably. England players getting off with bans? Yes. Liverpool Football Club hated by some senior FA execs? Possibly, but again club bias. Other clubs hated by FA execs? Again, possibly. Would those execs try to undermine or sabotage a club from winning things? No. How? Referees instructed to direct the course of a game by FA instruction? NO. A small section of referees directing the course of a game to make them look more important to fuel their egos and get a mention on MOTD? Absobloodylutely.

Dane

NEXT!
no need to insult me , respect my opinion , you do not like it then it is not the end of the world !
beside after 1982 with the magical team of brazil i do not see team real football team .. anymore !
Wrong thread.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Nah, no conspiracy. It evens itself out over a longer period of time through a season. We as a club were not good enough for the title (or title challengers) 90% of the time in the last 30 years or so. End of story. What I can say though is that considering the money in football in England, the refereeing is piss poor. They just continue with new rules, tweaking old rules, I love their "zero tolerance" hype before every season in August, announcing this and that... only to realize after 2 matchdays that nobody follows that criteria. Something needs to be done. Okay, you have to use technology, but you also need to improve the human factor. I don't expect 10 referees out of 10 to agree on absolutely everything, but surely we can get from 4/10 to closer to 8/10.

Libero

I couldn’t give two fucks for bias or conspiracy theories... to achieve anything you need to come through some adversity one way or another. Although the thread has been amusing to read and every poster should be entitled to an opinion without getting ridiculed completely.

What I don’t understand is the level of hatred that comes towards Liverpool’s way... maybe someone can explain the history of where this stems from... surely it’s not all football related but political.. I know a bit of it to an extent re: Thatcher etc but surely there is more to it?

I have many English and non English mates who couldn’t bare us winning the league and I just don’t get it.

sms1986

I think a lot of the hate is because people don't want to see us dominating again like we did in the 70s and 80s. People like to see those at the top fail - for example, see how most English football fans loved seeing United in decline after Ferguson left.

We've improved greatly in recent seasons and will continue to do so, the fact that our only real competitor for the league this season is an oil club there due to money rather than merit shows this.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
It's one of those issues that nobody is going to change their mind on.

And this is why it'll keep circling, because even I think there is bias against Liverpool. I just also think that there is also bias for us as well as bias for/against other clubs such as City. Every fanbase thinks that there is bias against their club whilst thinking there is bias for their rivals or the bigger clubs.
It keeps circling because some posters throw provocative comments into threads for whatever reason, it serves to rile people up (me included) and clouds other discussions. It also allows for unhelpful comments in the threads and the pigeon holing of people who hold a certain viewpoint. You have an opinion or belief, which you firmly believe in. But you could be wrong. Those who consider that bias against LFC exists have given examples. And loads of them. Keep refuting those claims of bias all you want, but look deeper and the evidence is there.

Regarding bias, there is no bias against Man City at present. In fact there is bias towards them, by the media, referees and now by the powers that be. After the Der Spiegal relevations an immediate enquiry should have taken place, and based on the evidence produced, serious sanctions should have been imposed. Liverpool (and other English clubs) were banned from Europe because of a minority of "fans" at Heysel. No excuses, no arguments. You accept responsibility and get on with it.
Liverpool did not orchestrate the horrific events in Heysel, but the club still paid the price.
City have flaunted financial rules that FFP enshrines. They orchestrated their finances to flaunt the rules in a derisory arrogant manner. Then, an FA enquiry announced only after other prem teams complain?
Thats bias on a grand scale.
Saying it exists against City is irrational.
And could only be turned that way by City (or United) supporters who would prefer to apocalypse to Liverpool winning the title.
I dont think thats a conspiracy "theory". Its a conspiracy fact.
Tainted titles. Only City fans will enjoy them.

Last edited: