Corbyn banner in the Kop....

RedBaron

Curse you RedBaron!!!!
I understand that a Corbyn banner will be in the Kop in order to celebrate Labours wins in the mayoral elections in Liverpool and Manchester.
I fully understand the cities working class roots and affinity with the party and it's hard work towards the 96 but a banner on the Kop for Corbyn?

www.berkeleyparks.co.uk/parks/keys/

Kopstar

★★★★★
Steve Rotherham will be pissed!!

Maybe it's ironic? Corbyn done to a Che Guevara style?

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I'm a Labour member and even I despair at this, if you want to celebrate the fact that Steve is mayor and Andy who did a lot for the Hillsborough campaign politically has also won then stick them on a banner.

Then again personally i don't think we should have a banner celebrating someone who has done nothing for the club, as I said Andy and Steve have worked politically on the Hillsborough campaign and should be thanked. Corbyn? Nope I've never heard anything.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I'm a Labour member and even I despair at this, if you want to celebrate the fact that Steve is mayor and Andy who did a lot for the Hillsborough campaign politically has also won then stick them on a banner.
I guess it will depend on the banner, but it seems very likely to be somewhat distasteful - in the middle of an election campaign, it is very difficult to see how this does not come off on an attempt to exploit sentiment around Hillsborough.

redaderry

@Commando - Corbyn is an English politician who got embroiled in a scandal by diverting his party's funds into player transfer deals through his cousin's holiday portacabin business. Or something like that i think.

Clive

I'd be surprised if something so politically partisan was permitted inside the ground these days? There's guidelines for this stuff?

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.

Then again personally i don't think we should have a banner celebrating someone who has done nothing for the club, as I said Andy and Steve have worked politically on the Hillsborough campaign and should be thanked. Corbyn? Nope I've never heard anything.
I'd understand, at a push, the will to do something for Andy Burnham (though I wouldn't necessarily be enthusiastic about it). Though I'm not sure about the timing.

Sticking Corbyn's name and face anywhere near anything to do with Hillsborough is fucking awful in my opinion. Sticking his name and face on the kop for any reason is utterly embarrassing and misplaced as far as I'm concerned.

Truly despair at this if this is the case, this kind of thing doesn't need to be done inside the ground.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.

This is the banner.

Could have put a 'don't buy the sun' logo in place of one of their faces and a little mosaic of the 4 clubs badges who've banned it next to it. That was just my first idea when seeing this, that would fit better with the quote below too, surely? Maybe not the best idea but what I do know is that those two people should not be displayed inside Anfield, they have done nothing to deserve it and they have no connection to the club.

Or how about Margaret Aspinall and Anne Williams (with consent) being on it?

Can't stress enough how much I disapprove of this.

Last edited:

Kanonkop

More info here.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news...-unveil-huge-jeremy-12996644#ICID=FB-Liv-main

What precisely have Corbyn and McDonnell ever done for LFC or the Justice campaign as the banner organiser is apparently claiming? I must have missed their stellar contributions over the years. Did the banner organiser seek the approval of the Hillsborough families first?

This is nothing more than a militant leftist political statement that is making associations that are wholly unmerited and is both distasteful and inappropriate - regardless of political views.

MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member
It's the Hillsborough association that sticks in craw. Never should the 96 be used in such a manner. Tragedy that transcends political divisions. All for celebrating labour with a small l standing up in the face of oppression but drawing associations with Hillsborough? Nah tawdry and crass. A banner celebrating Margaret and Anne's battle for justice would be much more fitting

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.
Much rather this wasn't associated with Hillsborough in any way,as I 'd never believed that politics and sport should be mixed.
It is and we know it.But the Tory reaction to Hillsborough changed that forever!

Last edited:

Wilkored08

Not too sure about this...not everyone on the Kop or even in the ground has an affinity with Corbyn, there maybe a few book's.

NIDINGR

Death by heavy metal.
When are the Kim Jong Un and Hugo Chaves banners making an appearance?