• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Daniel Sturridge (FW) Chelsea FC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Liverpool manager Rodgers plots move for Sturridge... again

By DOMINIC KING

Liverpool have contacted Chelsea about Daniel Sturridge's availability as they aim to make an immediate mark in the January window.

The England forward came close to moving to Anfield in the summer but manager Brendan Rodgers only wanted to do a loan deal then, while Sturridge wanted a permanent transfer.

But Sturridge may now get his wish in the new year, as Liverpool have spoken with Chelsea about resurrecting the move.

The club are desperately short of striking options; Fabio Borini faces another two months out with injury, while Andy Carroll will not be recalled from his loan at West Ham.

Arsenal's Theo Walcott is a top target but Sturridge, 23, is an acceptable alternative. Liverpool have also been watching Blackpool winger Tom Ince, who was once on the playing staff at Anfield.

Chairman Tom Werner said after Saturday's 3-0 victory over Wigan it was Liverpool's 'intention to strengthen' in the forthcoming window.

Rodgers could welcome back midfielder Lucas Leiva - out for three months with a ruptured thigh - into his squad on Thursday night for the Europa League game against Young Boys Berne.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2235491/Daniel-Sturridge-wanted-Liverpool-January.html

Nikola

Admin
Daniel Sturridge in Liverpool's sights as Brendan Rodgers looks to bolster Anfield club's firepower

Liverpool have asked Chelsea about the availability of striker Daniel Sturridge, paving the way for a £15 million January transfer.

Brendan Rodgers is desperate for more ammunition to support Luis Suárez, and he has decided Sturridge fits the bill as he looks to correct the errors of the last transfer window.

The Merseyside club have opened talks early in an effort to secure a swift deal when business reopens on Jan 1. They are prepared to make a formal bid after exploring numerous options to ensure Rodgers is not left without a striker for the second half of the season.

Chelsea are likely to accept an offer as high as £15 million and if they sell Sturridge will seek to replace him with a fresh approach for Bayer Levekusen’s Andre Schurrle.

Liverpool tried to sign Sturridge last summer, but that was only on the basis of a season’s loan. Up until the final stages of the last transfer window, the club were still in negotiations but Chelsea rejected a temporary proposal. They were only interested in as much as £15 million to make the move permanent.

At that time, Rodgers was not entirely convinced he should spend so much on the 23 year-old, who joined Chelsea for just £3.5 million. He was not willing to take a deadline day gamble in August, but the Liverpool manager has reassessed the situation in the last few months.

Sturridge also evidently fits the profile of Liverpool’s owners, Fenway Sports Group, who have consistently made known their preference for signing players of international pedigree at a younger age.

One of the concerns Rodgers harboured last August was the former Manchester City striker publicly stated preference to play in a central role. Rodgers will hope to convince him the fluidity of his attacking formation will suit his game.

Since moving to Stamford Bridge in 2009, Sturridge has been unable to make himself a permanent fixture of the starting line-up under numerous managers.

After seeming to impress Andre Villas-Boas at the start of last season, he was relegated to the bench again when Roberto Di Matteo took over.

Sturridge has made no secret of his frustrations in west London since then and only last week he made it known how desperate he was to play more regularly — something which eludes him at Chelsea.

“It is difficult to judge me as a player and say my goalscoring record is this or that when I do not play regularly,” said Sturridge. “Not playing regularly is the most difficult thing for anyone to handle.”

Sturridge was first considered by Liverpool as a potential recruit two years ago when Fernando Torres moved to Chelsea.

He was mentioned in a possible swap deal in January 2010, but Liverpool decided they wanted a £50 million straight cash deal instead.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/9689301/Daniel-Sturridge-in-Liverpools-sights-as-Brendan-Rodgers-looks-to-bolster-Anfield-clubs-firepower.html

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
If true, it's encouraging to see that the club are moving early to get deals arranged. As others have said, this can allow us to bring the players in as soon as the window opens and it allows us to pursue all our alternatives if our approaches are mooted.

If he's available for less than £10m, we could certainly do a lot worse than Sturridge. If the rumours are true that Rodgers didn't pursue a £15m move in the summer because of his concerns over Sturridge's personality, then I don't see us being taken for a ride now that he has even less time on his contract. Probably not a certain target, but an option to consider.

OhYaBeauty

For the right price, he's an option. Definitely not my first choice, though.

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
Given how greedy he often is infront of goal and how many chances he misses and his terrible attitude.....I still think he could be a good signing!

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
No direct quotes though anywhere amongst that.
I don't like him at all, the Chelsea fans definitely don't like him one bit and ... BR doesn't seem to like him either.

Just paper talk (for me). The next Adam Johnson type hype (of an overpriced, underachieving player), if you like

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior
I don't trust this Nikola13 fella anyways. The last thread he opened in the Rumor Mill was "Luis Suarez to Manchester City."

But on a serious note, I think there are better options out there but not many of them are left-footed. I do think Sturridge is talented and has a lot of potential. The best thing about him is that he has goals in him and he immediately fills in two holes in our squad as a RF and as a backup for CF. BR may be able to bring the best out of him but if we aren't able to loan him or buy him for under £10m, I would walk away and look else where.

Nikola

Admin
I don't trust this Nikola13 fella anyways. The last thread he opened in the Rumor Mill was "Luis Suarez to Manchester City."

But on a serious note, I think there are better options out there but not many of them are left-footed. I do think Sturridge is talented and has a lot of potential. The best thing about him is that he has goals in him and he immediately fills in two holes in our squad as a RF and as a backup for CF. BR may be able to bring the best out of him but if we aren't able to loan him or buy him for under £10m, I would walk away and look else where.
I'm not sure how long you've been here, mate, but everyone who has been here last few years knows that when I open a thread in Rumour Mill, it ain't happening. ;)

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
Exactly what we need ... Another over-priced and over-hyped English player ... We must sign more of these, since we are rapidly losing the ones that we have signed in recent years ...

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior
I'm not sure how long you've been here, mate, but everyone who has been here last few years knows that when I open a thread in Rumour Mill, it ain't happening. ;)
Aha. Straight from the horse's mouth! I am guessing you were the guy who screwed up our chances with Alves, Turan, Jovetic, Silva, and Mata as well?

Nikola

Admin
Aha. Straight from the horse's mouth! I am guessing you were the guy who screwed up our chances with Alves, Turan, Jovetic, Silva, and Mata as well?
Actually not but there was no mojo against Gillette and Hicks black magic!

OhYaBeauty

Good stuff. I don't have to worry about Suarez leaving or us overpaying for Sturridge.

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Last year of his contract and barely playing at Chelsea think 8 mil max

Like him as a player tho, and will score goals and what 22, so only gets better

As said above like that we are getting our ducks in a row early on so that players can arrive asap

snape

TIA Youth Team
Think he would only be a good impact player. Unfortunately, he wants to be more so this spells trouble. He's too selfish to be a regular first-teamer. Selfishness is fine if you put away all your chances but he doesn't.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
He proved at Bolton and when he got a chance under AVB at Chelsea that he is actually a pretty good talent with lots of potential.

Whether he can live up to potential is open to debate.

As he is would he improve our current options.

If we get back to the level we want to be at he wouldnt be good enough to be a main player for us at that level unless he lives up to potential but being English we would probably be able to move him on if needed.

Doesn't excite me but if we aren't going to get robbed on price and he doesn't get too arrogant when negotiating on wages if Rodgers wants him fair enough.

lfc.8

A bit limited really, just like Walcott. There's better options out there.

daddydave

TIA Youth Team
Would prefer Walcott however would be happy to see him signed if the money was right. £15 mil sounds a bit steep.

spizfromoz

Es maluco, filho da puta!
Thank god for your prophetic abilities then :D

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Is Sturridge any better than Borini, Suso or Sterling?

We need to sign players to elevate usto a new level, not just clog up the system.
Borini has the potential to be at least as good as Sturridge. Sterling and Suso are completely different types of players and will probably never score as highly as the type of player Sturridge is.

OhYaBeauty

I can't. Transfermarkt says he's out of contract in summer 2014, and I think every time this has been mentioned that's the figure everybody else quotes.

Is there such a thing as a contract that expires in January?

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Borini has the potential to be at least as good as Sturridge. Sterling and Suso are completely different types of players and will probably never score as highly as the type of player Sturridge is.
Don't see any reason why Sterling can't develop into a high scoring winger. It's quite easy to forget just how early into his development he is, he's got plenty of time yet.

Onto Sturridge, he's a good footballer but I wouldn't be excited with his signing. He's selfish, petulant and ego centric. Tolerable characteristics if your name is Cristiano Ronaldo but Sturridge isn't good enough to bother putting up with it.

At 15 million, it's a no brainer, wouldn't even consider it.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
I can't. Transfermarkt says he's out of contract in summer 2014, and I think every time this has been mentioned that's the figure everybody else quotes.

Is there such a thing as a contract that expires in January?
Sorry, I looked into it again and found it listed as at the end of the 2013-2014 season so I deleted my post. Didn't expect you to answer so quickly.

We had the discussion during the summer at which time no one really knew what the deal was. Even the Chelsea supporters (searched their websites/blogs) were confused as to when it was officially expiring. Seems like they figured it out now.

mpoletti

Bearded Rumour Mill Regista
*cough* Someone said that about the Luis Suarez thread *cough*

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Don't see any reason why Sterling can't develop into a high scoring winger. It's quite easy to forget just how early into his development he is, he's got plenty of time yet.

Onto Sturridge, he's a good footballer but I wouldn't be excited with his signing. He's selfish, petulant and ego centric. Tolerable characteristics if your name is Cristiano Ronaldo but Sturridge isn't good enough to bother putting up with it.

At 15 million, it's a no brainer, wouldn't even consider it.
There is just too much negative stuff coming out of the Chelsea camp about him being essentially uncoachable. Cristiano Ronaldo had lots of negative comments, but very little that suggested he did not have a strong work ethic and a willingess to learn.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
There is just too much negative stuff coming out of the Chelsea camp about him being essentially uncoachable. Cristiano Ronaldo had lots of negative comments, but very little that suggested he did not have a strong work ethic and a willingess to learn.
I think that might be why Rodgers (rumor) preferred to take him on loan rather than buy him outright at the end of the window. For the amount being talked about (15mp) Rodgers probably wanted to see if he could work with Sturridge before committing that much money on a purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.