• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Daniel Sturridge (FW) Chelsea FC

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Definitely wouldn't play him on the right of a front three. Is very ineffective there.

Once he does sign, he must play through the middle.
Wouldn't say he was ineffective for Chelsea as right forward he was there top scorer playing in that position last season so think we have the option to play him central or right.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
I think if he comes, he will play in the middle of the front trio as of now. If it is him and Borini and Suarez, then I think Borini in the middle, he on the right and Suarez on the left. Suarez is devastating on the left. That does not mean he will not score as much or we are ignoring his good streak in the middle. But I feel that he has always been good going straight at players on the left and then cutting in and out before unleashing a shot with his right or crossing with his left and right. And therefore we need someone with an instinct to be there when he does that. What I will think however is that we will have now:

Suarez, Borini, Suso, Sturridge, Downing and Sterling as our front trio (of course, we can expect some cameos from Enrique etc)and depending on the opponent, different combinations will be used. But I am almost sure that Suarez and Sturridge, barring any injuries, will always be the first names to appear, if he signs of course.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Rather than just having Sturridge playing through the middle as the norm, it's entirely possible that he'll rotate positions during a game with whoever is on his right, probably Borini, to pull his marker around. I wonder if he or Borini are capable of doing a job on the left? If that were possible then you'd be able to include Suarez in a front three rotation, which would be tactically very advantageous you'd think. Where would Sterling fit into this equation though? Somehow I don't think he'll be entirely happy to be the goto sub for the above three.

MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member
Think it'll be a Sturridge/Borini and Sterling/Borini rotation. And with those three able to play front three without Suarez if necessary.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Rather than just having Sturridge playing through the middle as the norm, it's entirely possible that he'll rotate positions during a game with whoever is on his right, probably Borini, to pull his marker around. I wonder if he or Borini are capable of doing a job on the left? If that were possible then you'd be able to include Suarez in a front three rotation, which would be tactically very advantageous you'd think. Where would Sterling fit into this equation though? Somehow I don't think he'll be entirely happy to be the goto sub for the above three.
Rodgers admitted he was playing Borini out of position on the right.

Id say Borini option for LF or CF, Sturridge RF or CF, Sterling and Ince for RF or LF, Downing RF, Assaidi LF and Suarez an option for any of the three positions.

Proper depth and options and still a possible third player to be added to increase strength up top further.

RedSeven

On the one road
Ad-free Member
Rodgers admitted he was playing Borini out of position on the right.

Id say Borini option for LF or CF, Sturridge RF or CF, Sterling and Ince for RF or LF, Downing RF, Assaidi LF and Suarez an option for any of the three positions.

Proper depth and options and still a possible third player to be added to increase strength up top further.
The numbers are good and the quality is decent,but not great.These lads should really come good in a couple of years but for now i'd still really like someone more reliable.Sturridge will play central with Luis out left i think,so a wide right with more experience at a good level should be someone we are looking for.Where does Suso fit in in all of this/p>

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
The numbers are good and the quality is decent,but not great.These lads should really come good in a couple of years but for now i'd still really like someone more reliable.Sturridge will play central with Luis out left i think,so a wide right with more experience at a good level should be someone we are looking for.Where does Suso fit in in all of this/p>
For me back as a number 10 option with Shelvey and Cole (highlights why Rodgers was stressing the need for a top class number ten in summer as none of them should be a starter there at a top club at this stage in their careers).

Think in summer we will strengthen further but depending on how the 2/3 new guys settle when they arrive that should be good enough to have a tilt at top 4.

If we make it or come close coupled with a decent Europa League showing it should be enough to persuade some top young talent we are heading in right direction and make them open to joining us.

Well thats my hope at least.

WrinkledMind

Living A Life Consumed By Slow Decay.
Am I the only one who feels that Borini is the closet thing we have got to a poacher?

I can see why BR would go for Sturridge though.He wants a very fluid, interchanging front 3.

If we play a front 3 of say Borini, Suarez and Sturridge then we can see that happening...as all three can slide in all those 3 positions.
They might not be effective in all 3 positions, but having interchanging front 3 can give opposition defenses some real problems.

Now add an AM who is either dynamic(who makes constant forward runs) or intelligent(who constantly finds the right passes) behind them in Gerrard, or Suso or even Shelvey and it looks enticing.....when it comes off that is.

PS:I rate Sterling very highly and would have him starting ahead of Borini & Sturridge, but I was just presenting a theory about strikers who can play on wings.

RedSeven

On the one road
Ad-free Member
For me back as a number 10 option with Shelvey and Cole (highlights why Rodgers was stressing the need for a top class number ten in summer as none of them should be a starter there at a top club at this stage in their careers).

Think in summer we will strengthen further but depending on how the 2/3 new guys settle when they arrive that should be good enough to have a tilt at top 4.

If we make it or come close coupled with a decent Europa League showing it should be enough to persuade some top young talent we are heading in right direction and make them open to joining us.

We are obviously going for a team who will start to show their worth as a TEAM in a couple of years.With Gerrard,Shelvey and i think Suso as the player behind the front 3,i hope we don't find ourselves only giving Suso very limited playing time as for me he is the most promising and exciting young player we have.Think Cole will be gone either in january or the summer.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
We are obviously going for a team who will start to show their worth as a TEAM in a couple of years.With Gerrard,Shelvey and i think Suso as the player behind the front 3,i hope we don't find ourselves only giving Suso very limited playing time as for me he is the most promising and exciting young player we have.Think Cole will be gone either in january or the summer.

Suso is one of the most creative players of his age I think I've seen but currently isn't scoring.

Maybe in few seasons once he has developed that we will have an awesome player on our hands but right now he is a squad option, just one with an incredible future ahead.

Agree with your point about future planning, definitely seems we are focused towards building a foundation now that will be breath taking in 3/4 seasons time.

Its why at that press thing I asked Rodgers if he would look to do any pragmatic signings, loans and short term deals to get us going in the now even if they aren't part of that long term project really.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
How about having a good team now as well as in a couple of years?
If limiting Suso's gametime means a superior, more effective player gets to play ahead of him then that can only be a good thing. Player development is not the #1 priority, results are. Obviously it's still vital and we'd still want Suso to fulfill his potential but there is a balance to be stuck. We're not doing that at the moment with a few young players who have been overplayed.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular

Agree about Suso. He should be the understudy/backup to a quality, experienced no.10 who can teach him the role before handing over the starting spot in a few years. That's one reason why I would have loved us to (at least attempt to) sign Sneijder. Suso will be a fantastic player in two or three years, but for now we need better.

I have to say it was reassuring listening to Brendan's fan meeting. He was very clear about us needing a proper #10, which is something we've been missing for a long time now.

Interesting now to see the composition of the attack with Sturridge in the mix, Borini returning from injury and hopefully another attacking player joining; and also how the midfield will look.

RedSeven

On the one road
Ad-free Member
How about having a good team now as well as in a couple of years?
If limiting Suso's gametime means a superior, more effective player gets to play ahead of him then that can only be a good thing. Player development is not the #1 priority, results are. Obviously it's still vital and we'd still want Suso to fulfill his potential but there is a balance to be stuck. We're not doing that at the moment with a few young players who have been overplayed.
I agree,but our best side now does have a couple of the kids in it and we are also looking at buying another in Ince.I would hope that we can continue to play Suso as much as we have,maybe as sub,rather than have another quality youngster who gets left behind because there is not enough opportunities for him to continue developing.

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
Play him both in the FA Cup tie and against the Devil.

I like the idea of Sterling on one side, Luis on the other, with Daniel in the middle.

Evra's and Rafael's panties will get twisted a bit.

Oh and Evans and Vidic in the middle? It'll be priceless.
Yeah the will, meanwhile our defense will shit themselves as Rooney RVP Kagawa Valencia Young etc tear us a new one because we have struggled against every team that presses us and someone said they are fairly good going forward.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
So is this sewn up and if so anyone guessing his first game, I expect if done on January 1st/2nd he may get a cameo in the cup

RaoulDuke

Wind-Down Merchant
Is it really done?
There have been no more media reports. They lost interest after his medical on dec 23rd.

I'm sure he could be a better CF than walcott. Now he has to prove it.

RaoulDuke

Wind-Down Merchant
I was asking a question, not panicking ;)

If there were any new reliable reports after the 23rd I must have missed them.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Is it really done?
There have been no more media reports. They lost interest after his medical on dec 23rd.

You mean that number 14 who score goals for fun last night? You sure?

RaoulDuke

Wind-Down Merchant
You mean that number 14 who score goals for fun last night? You sure?
And two weeks ago the same player was "average english dross", just pace, little else etc.
Sturridge got more skills than theo, don't you think so?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
And two weeks ago the same player was "average english dross", just pace, little else etc.
Sturridge got more skills than theo, don't you think so?
Sturridge got the size advantage, but not sure he has more skills. Both are quite similar, pace. Don't think any of these fellas are going to be a poacher type, neither are they the Henry/Rooney type (ball playing, finesse and eye for goals) of strikers. So not sure if I would say they got bag of skills.

RaoulDuke

Wind-Down Merchant
There must be two of them.
The sturridge I watched in 2011 seemed to be able to poach. And beat his man, do some tricks.
I guess the reason why fans always want to talk about his pace is his height (you mentioned it too).
Being 1.88 m and fast is eye catching. But I believe he is more than that.
Even walcott. Because pace alone doesn't score or create goals.
If it could usain bolt would already play for the mancs ;)

LFC_4EVER

TIA New Signing
Just heard on Ford Super Sunday on ss1 that Demba Ba is meeting Chelsea representatives tonight regarding a move to Stamford Bridge. Looks more likely that Sturridge will on his way to us. :D

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Is it really done?

I think it is all but done. Nothing final has been confirmed, but i would guess that had something happened and the deal fallen through we would have heard something.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Here's what one of the guys on the Chelsea forum uses as his signature. HAAAAAA

| JCX | wrote:
Sturridge sucks! Useless player all around
Sell him to Liverpool for a couple of peanuts, we would be lucky to get anything out of him.

Torres is the Future and MISTER CHELSEA!

And so many others are saying that Torres is terrible!

What a club that is...

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Not that much different to some of the bullshit that gets written here...

Anyway, pretty much all the pundits on Sky today were unanimous that Sturridge was done and dusted. Make of that what you will.

batt_red

TIA Reserve Team
So, is it true that Chelsea are getting Ba for 7.5m and selling us Sturridge for 12m? Madness I say!!

Anthony

^^^ Agreed, we should be after 2 of Sturridge/ Ba/ Walcott for our attacking line. The only reason I did hear on Sky that he truly wants to be in London and there were even a few rumors that QPR wanted him

Status
Not open for further replies.