• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Daniel Sturridge (FW) Chelsea FC

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaoulDuke

Wind-Down Merchant
You say the same thing over and over. You're unhappy with Sturridge, Ince, etc. Obviously not big enough names for you. We think we should be signing proven amazing superstar players to lead us back to the glory days. Well we're building the right way with good owners and a good managers. This is how Tottenham built their team. Bale for 5M. Modric for 16.5M. VDV for 8M. Lennon for 1M. Walker 4.5M. Assou-Ekotu 3.5M. Sandro 8M. You want big names go support PSG or Man City.
He just said they should earn that shirt and not just get it.
What's wrong with that?
I'm not sure about borini but studge has the potential to be a no. 9.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
He just said they should earn that shirt and not just get it.
What's wrong with that?
I'm not sure about borini but studge has the potential to be a no. 9.
Because I prefer Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.... because he has a very big name. ;-)

mr mustard

TIA Reserve Team
What's up with copying Tottenham? Let's try doing things our own way. Last year everybody said we should do whatever Newcastle did, for crying out loud...

Muad

TIA New Signing
What's up with copying Tottenham? Let's try doing things our own way. Last year everybody said we should do whatever Newcastle did, for crying out loud...
I think Tottenham's copying us.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
You say the same thing over and over. You're unhappy with Sturridge, Ince, etc. Obviously not big enough names for you. We think we should be signing proven amazing superstar players to lead us back to the glory days. Well we're building the right way with good owners and a good managers. This is how Tottenham built their team. Bale for 5M. Modric for 16.5M. VDV for 8M. Lennon for 1M. Walker 4.5M. Assou-Ekotu 3.5M. Sandro 8M. You want big names go support PSG or Man City.
God forbid Eddie has ambition...

S

Sgt. Pepper

Sky Sports News ‏@SkySportsNews
Sky sources: Daniel Sturridge expected to be at Anfield tonight for Liverpool's game against Sunderland #ssn

kopite1982

Spurs have bigger fish to fry than us now im affraid! You think willian/holtby would come to us?not in a million years!thats why i wanted avb as manager! His name alone attracts players.

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
Because look how many times shelvey has played in the front 3! Simple!

Anyone know if hes able to play in europa?
Yes he can play, you can have two players come in and swap from one to the other (CL to Europa and vise versa) as far as I know.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Sturridge or his ilk should have been signed in August; the absence of an alternative or partner for Suarez basically scuppered the first half of our season through lack of goals. Defensive lapses have excacerbated our poor results of course but at least we might have out-scored the opposition on occasions.

What I don't understand is this: How has another £25m or whatever put aside for transfer funds magically appeared in Jan when it was badly needed last summer?

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
Sturridge or his ilk should have been signed in August; the absence of an alternative or partner for Suarez basically scuppered the first half of our season through lack of goals. Defensive lapses have excacerbated our poor results of course but at least we might have out-scored the opposition on occasions.

What I don't understand is this: How has another £25m or whatever put aside for transfer funds magically appeared in Jan when it was badly needed last summer?
I think the club wanted to appear as though money was tight and drive prices down. having paid over the top for so many years as a club for average talent simply because of who we are, the club wanted to strengthen our bartering position by being ruthless with the purse strings. Sure we were left frustrated but long term if that means when we go to sign the next Luis Suarez we wont have to pay Andy Carroll like money for it because the opposing club expect us to fork it out.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
It was available in the summer, with a big chunk of it seemingly earmarked for Dempsey. It also sounds like it was Rodgers that was unwilling to sign Sturridge on a permanent deal then (the player wanted it), rather than it being a lack of money that shot it down.

JackleCube

Yeah, let's aspire to follow in the the footsteps of that really successful Spurs team, the team that has won the League Cup and once qualified for the Champions League in the last decade, what a magnificent blueprint.

Doggie

Resident Optimist

I expect one or two players are heading for the exit, hence providing a budget.

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
Yeah, let's aspire to follow in the the footsteps of that really successful Spurs team, the team that has won the League Cup and once qualified for the Champions League in the last decade, what a magnificent blueprint.
You are right, but then again, they are above us in the table for yet another year. Add to that our inability to match them on the pitch and you can see his point.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Yes he can play, you can have two players come in and swap from one to the other (CL to Europa and vise versa) as far as I know.
You can - but not if the original club (Chelsea in this case) is in the same competition as the new club. So Chelsea's presence in the EL combined with his appearances for the CL make him ineligible for us in Europe - if I understand the regs correctly.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
Given how Comolli and Kenny overspent it would surprise me if FSG didn't put into place some sort of "framework" or "set of rules" to protect themselves.

For example, some clubs have rules on contract lengths for older players.

It COULD suggest that there is a cap put on spending on players of a CERTAIN PROFILE (e.g., age, contract length, etc). And this could contribute to missing out on certain targets (ala Dempsey).

However, it does not necessarily mean that there are NO funds to spend if the right players are found. This would just mean our scouts have to start doing a better job.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

Really dont think FSG operate on a traditional transfer budget of "x amount"!

Think what happens is the recruitment team and manager put the pros and cons of each deal to the owners who weigh it up and say yes or no if they think its worth it.

Explains how they can say no to a larger deal than 3-5 million for Dempsey even though they had made 15 million available for Sturridge as well and Rodgers hadn't spent it.

Think in cases when a deal or deals seem good but take us over what the club has earnt up to that point the owners, providing they really want us to go for the deal, will loan us interest free the money to complete it like the £30 million the other year.

But in all honesty the financial leeway Rodgers seems to have available this window appears to have been there in the Summer it was just a case of targets and availability issues.

JackleCube

You are right, but then again, they are above us in the table for yet another year. Add to that our inability to match them on the pitch and you can see his point.
Everton are above us for another year too, yet no-one is saying we should do things more like our neighbors.

It just annoys me when people pull out names as a sign of success, but forget to mention all the shit players bought as well. I could match that list of Spurs players if I could be bothered to find out the values of Skrtel, Agger, Johnson, Enrique, Suarez, Sterling and Lucas and stick their names in a list, but I would be conveniently forgetting the likes of Carroll, Downing etc, but don't forget, Spurs like us also have a record fee signing someone who was an English dud (Bentley) and people also forget to mention they bought Gomes, Bassong, Sigurdsson, Jenas etc who have all been shite.

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
Everton are above us for another year too, yet no-one is saying we should do things more like our neighbors.

It just annoys me when people pull out names as a sign of success, but forget to mention all the shit players bought as well. I could match that list of Spurs players if I could be bothered to find out the values of Skrtel, Agger, Johnson, Enrique, Suarez, Sterling and Lucas and stick their names in a list, but I would be conveniently forgetting the likes of Carroll, Downing etc, but don't forget, Spurs like us also have a record fee signing someone who was an English dud (Bentley) and people also forget to mention they bought Gomes, Bassong, Sigurdsson, Jenas etc who have all been shite.
You are spot on, but you have now pointed out two clubs that have a different approach to what ours has been and have overtaken us in the league. One of whom has done so via hard work and on a shoe string but with an outstanding manager. Maybe we should be looking at these and seeing the positives and looking at ourselves and exposing where our weaknesses have been.Why paper over the cracks? You only get stronger by identifying what you do wrong.EDIT: I have tried 3 times to stop this response looking like a single sentence but for some reason my line spacing is not showing up once I post!?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
You are spot on, but you have now pointed out two clubs that have a different approach to what ours has been and have overtaken us in the league. One of whom has done so via hard work and on a shoe string but with an outstanding manager. Maybe we should be looking at these and seeing the positives and looking at ourselves and exposing where our weaknesses have been.Why paper over the cracks? You only get stronger by identifying what you do wrong.EDIT: I have tried 3 times to stop this response looking like a single sentence but for some reason my line spacing is not showing up once I post!?
Not true, only one has different approach than ours. Everton, who had always adopt sell to buy idea. Spurs did the same as us a few years back and was stuck at rock bottom. Remember after Jol had a bit of a tiff with Comolli and to see him brought in "One-Day" Ramos, and Spurs hit rock bottom. Levy realise what needs to be done and did it quickly - hire an experience old guard to bring the club to a stable platform. Same boat, but a half a decade or so later, or maybe more.

JackleCube

You only get stronger by identifying what you do wrong.
Can't argue with that at all, it is one of the biggest criticisms many around here have of the club these days, is that we never seem to identify what we're doing wrong and correct it, for 20 years we've been making the same mistakes, and in the last 5 years, the amount of mistakes has multiplied.

I think Spurs approach is actually very similar to ours, they go after a lot of the same types of player, have spent similar amounts in recent years, and aren't really that far ahead of us, nothing that spending 30-40m on proven quality this January wouldn't bridge.

As for Everton, well we'd be very lucky to get a manager as mentally strong as Moyes, I think that's the key thing Everton have over us these days; they've got fight, they've bought in powerful players (Fellaini, Jelavic, Anichibe), players who aren't going to win you titles, but will make you very hard to beat, whereas we're trying to make ourselves hard to beat by keeping possession, but our problem is that when we lose possession we're very lightweight in the middle and up top, which means that teams with powerful midfield players find it easy to play against us in the middle.

The key to success for us will be a strong system, which will counter-balance the fact that individually many of our players aren't that physically strong, I think this means it will make things more difficult in the shorter term (while the team is adjusting to the new style of play [as we're seeing]) but hopefully, in the longer term it allows you to surpass teams that are nothing more than solid like Stoke, Everton etc.

JackleCube

EDIT: I have tried 3 times to stop this response looking like a single sentence but for some reason my line spacing is not showing up once I post!?
HTML code for the site is a bit iffy at the moment, add "< b r > < b r >" without the speech marks and spaces at the end of every paragraph.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
The sooner the better. I hope its done today. Give him a some mins in the FA cup. Should be up and running vs UTD.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
I expect one or two players are heading for the exit, hence providing a budget.
And what if Cole/Downing or whoever can't be budged? We shouldn't have to rely on getting rid of players in order to add to an ALEADY thin squad.

rab

no FA offices open today to register transfers. Everybody in football seems to know its done but club have said wont announce anything till transfer is completed which will be tomorrow after the paperwork is done and he can be revealed before the Sunderland game.
Leicester City agreed a deal for Chris Wood from WBA in late December and he was registered and able to play on the 1st January and bag a pair of goals. So either it's different rules for the Premier League or ourselves or Chelsea have not completed what's required in time for him to play tonight. The FA not being open on new years day isn't the reason he's unavailable for tonight although im not sure he's fit anyway.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Thing is the wages shifted will come into play here, as your estimates will already see a profit on the monthly balance sheet along with payments elsewhere, but as ARD said I don't think there is an X amount, if a player is available that Rodgers and the scouts feel they want and suits the model then FSG will spend within reason.

Dempsey didn't hence the debacle, we have also qualfied for the 2nd stage of the Europa League so that will be extra cash we didn't recieve the year before both in win revenue, tv and advancement pay outs

RedSeven

On the one road
Ad-free Member
Not true, only one has different approach than ours. Everton, who had always adopt sell to buy idea. Spurs did the same as us a few years back and was stuck at rock bottom. Remember after Jol had a bit of a tiff with Comolli and to see him brought in "One-Day" Ramos, and Spurs hit rock bottom. Levy realise what needs to be done and did it quickly - hire an experience old guard to bring the club to a stable platform. Same boat, but a half a decade or so later, or maybe more.
October 2008 is when they brought in Harry.They beat us in what was i think his first game in charge.We only lost once more that season,to boro at start of feb 2009 and ended up finishing 2nd to utd.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Leicester City agreed a deal for Chris Wood from WBA in late December and he was registered and able to play on the 1st January and bag a pair of goals. So either it's different rules for the Premier League or ourselves or Chelsea have not completed what's required in time for him to play tonight. The FA not being open on new years day isn't the reason he's unavailable for tonight although im not sure he's fit anyway.
They were sneaky got Wood on loan so could play him early but perm signing not finished yet apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.