Daniel Sturridge (FW) Sevilla, Inter Milan, Southampton, West Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers

NoRushtoscore

I think we'll be doing fantastically well to get £30mn for him-only chance is to sell him to another PL club who have TV money to spend. I think for his career he'd be best going to Spain where the pace of the game is slower-so less chance for injuries and it would better suit his style of play. I can't see any Spanish club paying £30mn for him though (as the onyl ones that could afford it wouldn't want him).

SithBaare

I think we'll be doing fantastically well to get £30mn for him-only chance is to sell him to another PL club who have TV money to spend. I think for his career he'd be best going to Spain where the pace of the game is slower-so less chance for injuries and it would better suit his style of play. I can't see any Spanish club paying £30mn for him though (as the onyl ones that could afford it wouldn't want him).
Maybe not the spanish clubs, but he'll do very well in Italy too tbh. He'll have more time to take his shot and the game is slower.

OLDIE

TIA New Signing
If and it's a massive IF he stays fit, then 30m is a steal.

I actually think he would be a perfect fit for Everton.

I know the youngsters will say fuck off don't sell to them and all that nonsense.

Anyways wherever he ends up I wish him the best of luck.

macca1970

Injuries have curtailed his career. He's on a bumper contract, so getting any fee for him is good business.

Whether he stays or goes, hopefully all works out for him. His combo with Suarez was something special.

boston red

Show me the Mane.
His Suarez partnership was phenomenal! 21 goals or something, thought there was something left in him for this season, :-(
Time is up for him here unfortunately.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
If and it's a massive IF he stays fit, then 30m is a steal.

I actually think he would be a perfect fit for Everton.

I know the youngsters will say fuck off don't sell to them and all that nonsense.

Anyways wherever he ends up I wish him the best of luck.
I'm 34 and I wouldn't let him go near that club.

Shame Leicester don't want him, we've played them twice.

If he goes we should keep Ings.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
He's been average for a while. Even if he stays fit, which he won't, 30 million is still pushing it.

He's made 2 meaningful contributions this season IMO and we are five months in. He has been ineffective in every game he's started.

Ings is back now so it's not as if we're a body down. I'm somebody will quote Sturridge's goals per 90 stat for this season but it really is meaningless.

He was great for us once but it's time to move on.

SithBaare

He'll have to go to Southampton. They're pretty desperate for strikers.

How much did we sell Benteke for again ? The proven premier league strikers are always overpriced. Getting a 25M + addon's is worth it imo,

Another one to think about. We know that he wants out now, but what is the best decision for the club?

We can sell him now and take advantage of several teams who are starved for goals and are facing relegation battle. I can definitely see us getting about £20m now from the likes of West Ham or Southampton, whereas in the summer I doubt we would get any suitors due to his wages and only one year remaining on the contract.

However, selling him now would force us to buy a replacement in January, because we would be left with only Solanke and Ings to replace Firmino - a young player without a single goal so far in Premiership and a player who has been injured for 2 years.

For all his problems he still has a fantastic left foot and good footballing brain. He could be useful in the second half of the season, and especially CL.

I think with an easier role somewhere else he'll be a goal threat with undoubted quality,ultimately i feel for him with the shitty luck with injuries so lets hope he can succeed wherever he goes

JMac8

He's been average for a while. Even if he stays fit, which he won't, 30 million is still pushing it.

He's made 2 meaningful contributions this season IMO and we are five months in. He has been ineffective in every game he's started.

Ings is back now so it's not as if we're a body down. I'm somebody will quote Sturridge's goals per 90 stat for this season but it really is meaningless.

He was great for us once but it's time to move on.
I’d say he’s well above average ability wise. Just has legs made of weetabix.

Incredible that £30m is being quoted. That used to buy world class. Is it now the price for an injury-prone striker who peaked 4 years ago?

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
What exactly needs replacing?

His starts in the league this year: Palace, Burnley, Newcastle, Huddersfield, Chelsea. He was rubbish in all of them, scoring only once thanks to a gift from a defender. He only completed 90 minutes in one of those games.

I'm sure Ings has it in him to match such a paltry contribution.

Kanonkop

Maybe not the spanish clubs, but he'll do very well in Italy too tbh. He'll have more time to take his shot and the game is slower.
The Italian game might be slower but the defenders are not! He will have no more time to get a shot away there than anywhere else.

Good luck to him anyway and £30m is a decent price given his abilities and injury record.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I’d say he’s well above average ability wise. Just has legs made of weetabix.

Natural ability isn't enough at the level we want to play at. When the physicality and mental side of it goes, so does the performance level. There have been better players than Sturridge (think of the recent great Brazilian forwards) who have been done at the top level long before they should have been if only looking at their ability.

His starts in the league this year: Palace, Burnley, Newcastle, Huddersfield, Chelsea. He was rubbish in all of them, scoring only once thanks to a gift from a defender. He only completed 90 minutes in one of those games.

Good point, even though ideally Ings would also get a move (loan) elsewhere. I don't believe he has a future here after such horrible injury record.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Good point, even though ideally Ings would also get a move (loan) elsewhere. I don't believe he has a future here after such horrible injury record.
Neither of them have a future imo. If we can cash in on Sturridge now I'd keep Ings until the summer and then replace him with somebody we can actually use.

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
I've always assumed he'd be free, so £20m would be a super bonus.

Could do with replacing him though.
Solanke, Ings... both Salah and Mane can play up front if needed. I think we'll be ok. It's not like Dan has really played this season anyway.

We'd probably want to take another look in the summer though.

Mark Thurgood

I’d be disappointed to see him go, but we’ve got to get rid as he’s not featuring and his wages are extremely high.

LFCFFC

Sick of Southampton poaching our damn players.

Nah he needs game time to salvage his WC bid, the likes of Soton and West Ham will be better for him. Absolute clinical finisher on his day, but it was always going to be a struggle for him to fit into Klopp's system. His purple patch leading up to the EL final was the best I've seen him play since Suarez and it seemed like he could make it work, but once again his body has let him down and it's just not worth what we're paying for him.

As an aside, if he does go could that potentially have a knock on effect on our transfer plans in the summer? I.e got after someone like Fekir who can play up front as well as in the midfield.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
We should have sold him in the summer. It was already clear that he wasn't what he was and maybe we would have got somewhere near 30 million if we'd sold him then. As it is, now that everyone has seen how ineffective he's been this season, 30 million is very unrealistic, IMO. Not even West Ham would be silly enough to pay that much.

I think the club is doing him a disservice by pricing him so high. He wants to move on and get games in before the World Cup and as a reward for his contributions to the club I think we should accept 'any reasonable offers'.

It will be another gamble on Ings to stay fit if we sell Sturridge. Imagine having to rely on Solanke if Firmino got injured? With Coutinho gone, that would mean 2 bodies from our attack gone, so I would expect at least one incoming, regardless if we kept Ings or not.

Maybe we could recall Origi, but with Wolfsburg selling Gomez he will be pivotal to their attack now. Also a dubious decision in letting him go on loan and getting in Solanke. Maybe the club wanted to offer him chance to fight for WC squad by playing more. Still, his contract is also up in 2019, so I really hope we sort out our CF situation in the next 6 months.

Out of the 5 strikers on our books, only Firmino's place is secured, even though we ought to work on his contract. Origi, Ings, Sturridge, Solanke...everything up in the air here, I expect at least 2 of them gone, if not 3.

JMac8

It will be another gamble on Ings to stay fit if we sell Sturridge. Imagine having to rely on Solanke if Firmino got injured? With Coutinho gone, that would mean 2 bodies from our attack gone, so I would expect at least one incoming, regardless if we kept Ings or not.

Maybe we could recall Origi, but with Wolfsburg selling Gomez he will be pivotal to their attack now. Also a dubious decision in letting him go on loan and getting in Solanke. Maybe the club wanted to offer him chance to fight for WC squad by playing more. Still, his contract is also up in 2019, so I really hope we sort out our CF situation in the next 6 months.

Out of the 5 strikers on our books, only Firmino's place is secured, even though we ought to work on his contract. Origi, Ings, Sturridge, Solanke...everything up in the air here, I expect at least 2 of them gone, if not 3.
How’s Origi doing for them?

jgw_geneseo

Expert YouTube scout

I think it's more a protection against potential injury/suspension to Firmino. We're rolling along fine now, but if he sees and extended time out we may want someone else in. Not an ideal way to conduct business though, so could wait till summer and reassess.

If FA do something stupid that may change quick.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Three goals and three assists in 514 minutes played this season (Transfermarkt). That's roughly what people would expect from a top striker at a top club, over a whole season. These numbers are even more impressive when one considers that he has played a bit-part role, playing little bits of games, coming in at the end etc.

Compare this with the stats from another one whom is on the fringes: Solanke's zero goals and one assist in 562 minutes played.

Make no mistake, Daniel is still a top striker. The problem are the recurring injuries and the fact that our other forwards have been on fire lately. Still, him leaving would weaken our strength in depth. What happens if Firmino for instance gets injured for the rest of the season?

So, in my mind, if the club allow Sturridge to leave, they absolutely have to bring in another forward player. And not any forward player. One who is as good if not better than Sturridge. That however, will be very difficult. That's why I'll say the same as with Phil before he left: keep him until the summer, and let's take it from there. Too much upheaval in the midst of the season is unhealthy to say the least.

If the club proves me wrong and can bring a really good forward in right now (but who could that be?), then Sturridge can of course go with our blessings.

How’s Origi doing for them?
Haven't watched a lot of him, he scored 4 goals in 16 appearances but he has been starting a lot from the wing. Now that Gomez is sold they should hopefully move him to the central spot where his numbers should increase.

Still we must remember that he is only 22, and he made double figures in two seasons with us. There is definitely potential there and I would like to see him back for the summer. I think it would be a mistake in letting him go.

Status
Not open for further replies.