• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Daniel Sturridge (FW) Sevilla, Inter Milan, Southampton, West Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMac8

To summarize, without talking about quality of the squad, at the moment we have 7 and a half players to compete for 6 positions.
Klopp is playing a very risky game
Happy days.
My eyes hurt from eye rolling so much on these forums.

Ah well, I’m looking forward to see us lining up with half a player. I hope it’s the bottom half cos we don’t get many headed goals anyway

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Doesn't dent our chances of anything him leaving.hardly available.
He's seemingly getting replaced by Ings. Sturridge has better contribution this season than Ings has over his entire LFC career. How does that not dent our chances? Hate how people try to belittle what Sturridge does. I've seen Ings get more credit for sucking it up than Sturridge despite being injured more and never having to play injured like Sturridge. I've even seen arguments that Solanke putting pressure on a player that helped in build up to a goal actually matters more than the goals Sturridge has scored because we were winning those games anyway. Now I'm seeing people dismiss him like this. He's been available for something like 75% percent of our games since the start of last season and scored and assisted plenty for the time he's actually been on the pitch. He's done all he has been able to do for us and deserves a bit more respect than gets shown. The injuries that have halted his elite status and probably shortened his career have happened when he's been a Liverpool player doing what he can for us. Injuries are sure as hell not something he's chosen and if it weren't for them he'd be able to run round more and fit in better. Sure he'd make that swap every day of the week. As it is he's been a thoroughly professional, hard working squad player doing what he can despite being a poor fit and not getting played even when available and in form. If you want to be prissy and have an attitude with anyone over him not playing much this season or last it's the manager who hasn't selected him that should be looked at. He can't select himself in the starting 11.

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
I think we're more likely to get something out of Ings and Solanke than Sturridge as well as being more likely to be available,they're busier and fit better with our work rate and tempo,that's just me.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I think we're more likely to get something out of Ings and Solanke than Sturridge as well as being more likely to be available,they're busier and fit better with our work rate and tempo,that's just me.
An opinion backed up by fuck all actual evidence. Every measurable element that can be used actually proves otherwise. Sturridge has played more than Solanke this year (I think, he had and don't think Dom has played since) and been available more than Ings and I think only Salah and Firmino have a better goal & assist contribution than Sturridge for time spent on the pitch. Maybe not even Firmino after last couple of games.

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
An opinion backed up by fuck all actual evidence. Every measurable element that can be used actually proves otherwise. Sturridge has played more than Solanke this year (I think, he had and don't think Dom has played since) and been available more than Ings and I think only Salah and Firmino have a better goal & assist contribution than Sturridge for time spent on the pitch. Maybe not even Firmino after last couple of games.
You want to get off your high fucking horse mate,it's what i think and you don't,big fucking deal.:)

aBitSadAndLonely

I’d love some friends in real life...
I see this as the best move for us. Sturridge will get loads of game time at west brom. If he returns back to his old self then we can take him back next year.
Klopp just doesn't trust him enough to start him. Which sucks cause I think Danny can regain his form and fill the hole that Coutinho left.
Hoping he scores a shit load of goals for West brom

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
You want to get off your high fucking horse mate,it's what i think and you don't,big fucking deal.:)
He's still trotting out the same old tired arguments. Boring.

Not arsed about this at all. He's not available very often and has been crap when he's started. Maybe he had 1 or 2 contributions left for us, that's not enough.

He has been a waste of a space for too long, this signals the end of that. A replacement? Well, an improvement in the squad would have been nice, but Sturridge's actual contribution barely needs replacing.

Thanks for the good times Dan but this is long overdue. Good luck.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
What a terrible use of stats. No wonder people turn away from them when they get abused so poorly like this. Give it a rest.

PeachesEnRegalia

Epstein didn't kill himself
Studge had come to the end of his Liverpool tenure a while ago, if we're honest. Hope he gets a good run out for WBA, but he's just not a fit for Klopp's style, and that's been obvious to anyone with a pair of eyes this season. Not arsed.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
best of Luck Daniel sturidge, always had time for him and id love to see the personal side of the story result in him playing regular football and representing England this year at the World Cup.

I understand the angle that he really hasn't offered anything in numbers for a long time now, but maybe he just adds that bit of pressure to the first team incumbants that has now disappeared....not a huge issue, but not at all irrelevant, no, he didn't get on the park much recently, but the fact that he could have should not be ignored in the scheme of things, given his talent (not recent track record, but talent)....

im not as relaxed about this as Illok is, if we don't get a squad replacement in the next 48 hours.....

as Rafa would always say, its about options.

mazpool

TIA Reserve Team
Big loss.
Best of luck to you Stuge, you will be missed.
He could have been of real help if our boss know how to play with 2 strikers against the so called weaker teams, instead of having to play Gini, Can and Henderson. Two in the middle would have been more than enough with two strikers to run through the defense and open spaces. Well, i know shit about football but Klopp is risking way too much, and for no good reason.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Dont get what is the fuss. He is clearly not going to get game timme here as he has lost pace and can't press like Mane/Salah/Firmino and others.
Time to move on. Hope he helps us by helping WBA take points of our rivals.
Injuries plagued him, when fit he is one of the best strikers in the PL.
Good luck Danny.

Steve_LFC

Really hope he gets a good run of 7 to 10 games up front for them alongside Jay Rodriguez. Could have been a reason why he went there, saw how well Jay recovered and is now playing and enjoying it.
You brought up an important point. Sturridge always plays better in a 2 striker system. While we play with 1....So West Brom probably enticed him with the possibility of playing up top with Jay Rodriguez. He probably didnt want to go to a new country also. Anyways best of luck Danny!

red arizona scott

I am kind of surprised by this. Dan can produced when called on--see the Europa final that should have been put away after getting ahead early.

He is experienced, he can be good against a parked bus.

On the other hand it seems a bit of a favor a showing goodwill to players. That isn't a bad and thing and showing him off to get some $ isn't a bad thing. Timing is bad with the thinness of proven goal scorers now left and a big stretch of 3.5 months left--good no lesser cup distractions/extra matches though.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
He's still trotting out the same old tired arguments. Boring.

Not arsed about this at all. He's not available very often and has been crap when he's started. Maybe he had 1 or 2 contributions left for us, that's not enough.

He has been a waste of a space for too long, this signals the end of that. A replacement? Well, an improvement in the squad would have been nice, but Sturridge's actual contribution barely needs replacing.

Thanks for the good times Dan but this is long overdue. Good luck.
They're the same arguments because I've not been persuaded by your counter arguments which I don't think make any sense. You have a real strange way of writing off Sturridge and his goals and assists but don't use that same measure for the others. Is it because they run around more? You say it needs to be a goal that makes a difference from Sturridge for it to matter but how about team performance? If looking at all their games like they were points accruing;

Ings would have 4 points out of 15, won 1 drawn 1 lost 3 no goals or assists. He's so far had no impact on performances at all and we've done terrible in games he's appeared in it he's not been able to change things.

Solanke would have a very decent 38 points out of 54, won 11 drawn 5 lost 2 only 1 assist in a game we won 3 nil. He's been involved in games we've done better in but has it been Klopp choosing his appearances more carefully? He hasn't contributed to changing the direction of a score line yet.

Sturridge would have a quite reasonable 27 points out of 42, won 7 drawn 6 lost 1 scored 3, apparently none of which count because they weren't a goal that matters not even the one against Arsenal that helped bury them or scoring the opener against Huddersfield. 3 assists also but apparently only the one in the 3-2 win over Leicester mattered.

On availability he's still actually played more than Solanke despite injury and Ings has missed more games by far.

If you look at being involved in link up play with their teammates Sturridge plays 1.1 key passes per game, Solanke only 0.7 and Ings only 0.3. Sturridge passes on average 14.1 passes with accuracy of 80.3% Solanke only 9.8 passes at only 75.2% accuracy and Ings an awful 4.7 passes at 71.4%. Firmino is 33.2 passes at 73.4% accuracy and 1.8 key passes btw.

But of course none of this matters because Solanke and Ings run around more. On defensive contribution Solanke is best with 0.4 tackles per game. Hardly earth shattering. To put it in perspective Firmino is 1.5.

None of them come close to being an alternative to our plan A approach they're all plan B options. But Sturridge is the most creative and best goal threat out of the three of them.

If what Sturridge has done this season has hardly mattered I'd hate to think how little importance Ings and Solanke bring to the side. Surely by your reasoning we can get rid of all of them and just go without?

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
The thing that gets me, is that it’s just a loan.

What’s the actual point?, aside from doing the right thing by the player ( which is a positive) I see no upside in letting Sturidge go, is he disruptive like sahko? Is his training ethos questionable?....I mean, to keep coming back from setback after setback must take SOME level of mental fortitude.

I have this sneaking suspicion/ blind hope that we must have something lined up tomorrow.

It just makes absolutely no sense to let him go without replacing him in the squad, with another body, I get 100% the case for not being bothered as his numbers are non existent, but if bobby does get a knock, we are down to players out of position and a kid or a player who has been hampered severely by injury, no matter how inspirational the comeback is.....it just seems very strange....I know we only play one upfront, but wouldn’t it be wise to leave an option for two?

He also has an added unforeseen bonus....he adds pressure to the current ‘first choice’

Dunno.....I’m not on board with this at all....subject to any late transfers in.....both Coutinho and sturidge gone in the same window....that’s a lot of goals ( historically) leaving the club at the same moment.

Quirky point...remember we got them in the same winter window as well....nothing to it....but...just an oddity.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
The thing that gets me, is that it’s just a loan.

What’s the actual point?, aside from doing the right thing by the player ( which is a positive) I see no upside in letting Sturidge go, is he disruptive like sahko? Is his training ethos questionable?....I mean, to keep coming back from setback after setback must take SOME level of mental fortitude.

I have this sneaking suspicion/ blind hope that we must have something lined up tomorrow.

It just makes absolutely no sense to let him go without replacing him in the squad, with another body, I get 100% the case for not being bothered as his numbers are non existent, but if bobby does get a knock, we are down to players out of position and a kid or a player who has been hampered severely by injury, no matter how inspirational the comeback is.....it just seems very strange....I know we only play one upfront, but wouldn’t it be wise to leave an option for two?

He also has an added unforeseen bonus....he adds pressure to the current ‘first choice’

Dunno.....I’m not on board with this at all....subject to any late transfers in.....both Coutinho and sturidge gone in the same window....that’s a lot of goals ( historically) leaving the club at the same moment.

Quirky point...remember we got them in the same winter window as well....nothing to it....but...just an oddity.
It makes absolute sense IF somebody better comes in. IF..........

Phather Fil

Drrrrink!!!
The thing is he should have been getting games here!
Yes he is that good and very different to Firmino! :)
It looks like the Baggies deal is done, it’ll be interesting to see how he gets on.
It seems an odd choice West Brom... close to home tho’... no language barrier, easy life, not too much like hard work,.. Should, without a doubt get picked every week, so we’ll see if he’s anything like the Sturridge of old.
I hope he is and he comes back and gets a game, or goes but at least gets a game... but, my gut feeling is, the Danial Sturridge we once knew left the building a long time ago

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Proceed to player thread as this one is locked as of this moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.