• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Daniel Sturridge (FW) Sevilla, Inter Milan, Southampton, West Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
He scored 3 of our 78 league goals. He's got 2 out of 54 this year.

He's not integral in the slightest.
I mean in the last few games when we had to grind out results to get fourth.

Mane was injured, the squad was running on fumes and we were limping to single goal victories. He came in and was a really useful outlet.

I'm all for him going, I just think we can't afford to lose another player from the front line.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.

Mane was injured, the squad was running on fumes and we were limping to single goal victories. He came in and was a really useful outlet.

I'm all for him going, I just think we can't afford to lose another player from the front line.
He only started the last 2 games, scored against West Ham and didn't do much of note against 'Boro from what I recall. That West Ham goal was his first goal for about 4/5 months.

He's scored 5 out of our last 132 league goals. For a striker who lives off his goal scoring, that is hardly a contribution that we should be fearful of losing. We can't even rely on him to be available when we actually need him so Klopp might as well plan to play Salah as the centre forward or use Solanke/Ings instead.

We've coped all season without Ings and Lallana available, now they are. The numbers are there. I think we're one top quality attacking player short after the sale of Coutinho but Sturridge certainly isn't that either.

Last edited:

lightdrizzle

TIA Reserve Team

In a way i agree, with Coutinho already gone, if we were to lose Sturridge in the window as well, without replacing either, it would put undue pressure on the attack. That being said he has played so little this season, and we never know whether he will be fit when we need him, if someone came in with a decent offer, i fully understand why Klopp will say lets make it happen.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Sell him to West Ham.
If its Southampton, hike the price by 10Mp just to take revenge for delaying VVD.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
In a way i agree, with Coutinho already gone, if we were to lose Sturridge in the window as well, without replacing either, it would put undue pressure on the attack. That being said he has played so little this season, and we never know whether he will be fit when we need him, if someone came in with a decent offer, i fully understand why Klopp will say lets make it happen.
I wont Mind recalling Origi. He is a better option than Sturridge.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
He only started the last 2 games, scored against West Ham and didn't do much of note against 'Boro from what I recall. That West Ham goal was his first goal for about 4/5 months.

He's scored 5 out of our last 132 league goals. For a striker who lives off his goal scoring, that is hardly a contribution that we should be fearful of losing. We can't even rely on him to be available when we actually need him so Klopp might as well plan to play Salah as the centre forward or use Solanke/Ings instead.

We've coped all season without Ings and Lallana available, now they are. The numbers are there. I think we're one top quality attacking player short after the sale of Coutinho but Sturridge certainly isn't that either.
What numbers are there? What's your ideal "everything is going fine" starting midfield, attack and 3 subs to change a game? Because when I lost mine the only players left (ones we'd have to rely on in an injury or two) are kids with almost no games yet, Milner (hardly ideal in attack these days), Ings (and you say we can't rely on Sturridge) and Markovic. We are spread thin with very little cover as it is.

peter roberts

On the Celtic Ray
And even when he has played he's been pretty awful. The supposed £30m price tag that we have slapped on him must be somebody's idea of a joke. We should take the first decent offer we get for him.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
What numbers are there? What's your ideal "everything is going fine" starting midfield, attack and 3 subs to change a game? Because when I lost mine the only players left (ones we'd have to rely on in an injury or two) are kids with almost no games yet, Milner (hardly ideal in attack these days), Ings (and you say we can't rely on Sturridge) and Markovic. We are spread thin with very little cover as it is.
This is where we seem to be disagreeing.

I don't want Sturridge in case of an injury or two. He's not good enough. And he's not fit anyway. I would have no confidence in Sturridge filling in for Firmino, none whatsoever. By your own admission he needs to be played into form, when exactly is this going to happen?

I'd rather we threw Milner or Lallana in and played Salah or Mane up front. If we have to play Ings or Solanke as the centre forward instead of Sturridge, that's fine too, there's no drop off in quality based on Sturridge's performances this season.

I'd have Origi back in a heartbeat ahead of Sturridge, I'd even bring Ojo back as an option.

Last edited:

Limiescouse

Sturridge is not only no longer the player he was in 2013-14, he is not even the player he was in the injury ravaged 2014-15. That was the year his injuries first started becoming a problem, but back then the only problem was getting him on the pitch often enough as the second he was fit enough to play he looked like the Sturridge of old. He reached a point, probably sometime in 2016 or so, that he looked like he had lost something. Not only did he no longer look like that sort of player when available, he could not stay fit enough long enough to see whether he could play himself into form, and so couldnt even justify his selection even when fit.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
West Ham are supposedly looking to get rid of Hernandez already as he does not fit Moyes' needs. You would think Carroll would be the automatic alternative, but he looks to be moving as well, leaving them with just that one lad I cannot differentiate from the other various similar players who have played for Hull, Palace and the like in recent seasons. They clearly need a striker, but I genuinely have no idea what sort of player they'd be looking for.
I can't remember the exact timeline, but didn't Moyes sell Hernandez as one of his first acts as United manager? He must really hate the guy lol

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
I'd get rid of Origi as he doesn't suit us and Sturridge because he's no use to us,we just need someone better than both and that actually suit us and can play any of the three forward roles,a Sanchez if you will.

[email protected]

He really isn't!
Thing is though that in this team Origi, for all his faults, is a far better fit. Now I am not saying get Origi back asap but can you imagine Sturridge, as he is now, playing yesterday? It would have been like playing with 10 men. He simply does not have the pace, movement or workrate any longer.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Thing is though that in this team Origi, for all his faults, is a far better fit. Now I am not saying get Origi back asap but can you imagine Sturridge, as he is now, playing yesterday? It would have been like playing with 10 men. He simply does not have the pace, movement or workrate any longer.
The idea of Sturridge playing against any half decent side fills me with dread. 10 men is exactly right, how on earth would you expect him to play at the intensity of that game yesterday?

He might be okay to score the odd goal against Huddersfield, Maribor, Arsenal, West Ham, Sunderland, Hull etc in games in which we are totally dominant but he would not have it in him to compete in a match like that yesterday.

I'm not Ings' biggest fan but you could at least see him making a nuisance of himself, holding the ball up, chasing it into the channels.

Origi got a bit of a tough run last season as he was mostly playing when Mane was injured. How would he fare if he had some pace outside of him? I'd imagine he'd be far happier being flanked by Mane and Salah than Coutinho and Lallana. He played with Mane against Middlesborough and those two and Lallana linked up beautifully. Not saying he's the answer long term because he hasn't shown much since the injury at Everton but he'd surely be a better option than Sturridge.

HKReds

I can't remember the exact timeline, but didn't Moyes sell Hernandez as one of his first acts as United manager? He must really hate the guy lol
Actually, it is Van Gaal that sold Hernandez although during Moyes time at United, I recall Hernandez being side line quite often as well.

YeGra

Poor Sturridge. A few years ago it would be unthinkable to let him go. He's gone from:

Unsellable --> happily sellable --> debatable whether we even need to replace him.

I'm on the fence personally. We're scoring fine without him. And I'd rather use funds to reinforce the keeper, defensive and midfield positions to make us a bit more resilient to *ahem* capitulations.

StEtiennesLeftBoot

Nearly back on our perch....
And, Studge, like an Alfa, even on his/its day, daren't go flat out in case the front suspension fails.:rolleyes:
The thing about Alfa's is that even on the brink of break down they are far more fun to drive than BMW's (the split between Alfa, Audi and BMW drivers is strangely similar to supporting Liverpool, Chelsea or Man U..and I know which one I'd prefer to drive.....) Sad about Studge but better for everyone if he can pick his career up somewhere like Italy or Spain...

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I repeat, he really isn't! Absence has really made the heart grow fonder with Origi. He had a good six months when Klopp first arrived. Nearly two years ago now. For a year of that Sturridge did better than Origi when used. He's been on loan this year playing regular and he's hardly making people sit up and take notice. Sturridge may not be the answer. Origi definitely isn't. Ings definitely isn't (even worse injury history than Sturridge but with only half the skill). Solanke hopefully will be one day but he needs to actually score first.

We sell Sturridge we are left with very limited options. We've backed ourselves into a corner already not replacing Coutinho yet. We have an injury hit midfield that struggles to show consistency. And we have a top class attack with no back up almost.

Henderson (injured all the time)/Can
Wijnaldum (coasting and sometimes anonymous)/Milner?
Ox/Lallana (either can play a game or two wide but shouldn't play a run of games wide)

That's hardly an ideal midfield with quality starting and strength in depth but if we have any injuries up top we would need to leave it weaker by moving Lallana (lack of pace for out wide anyway) and/or Ox (when he's just starting to stake a claim for himself in CM and isn't a perfect match for Klopps wide players) out wide.

Up top we have;
Salah, Firmino, Mane.

After that we have;
Solanke (not a single goal), Ings (how much playing time over the last 2 years and hardly lighting it up when playing for the under 23s), Markovic (doubt we'll see him, lazier than Sturridge), Woodburn (we hardly played him when things were going well so to turn to him now if things go wrong would be negligent on his development).

I don't know why I'm facing such opposition to the notion we don't sell a player before we strengthen. We've just sold a starting attacker and have yet to replace him. To sell a backup attacker (regardless of quality) who is quite high up on the pecking order on top of that with STILL no recruits coming in is stupid.

I just really hope we don't do it. Sell Sturridge by all means but at the very least bring in a replacement for him or Coutinho first if not both.

You know if we don't Firmino will bust his ACL in early Feb and our season will be all but over. It's sods law. You take a gamble without options and you get punished.

Kanonkop

The thing about Alfa's is that even on the brink of break down they are far more fun to drive than BMW's (the split between Alfa, Audi and BMW drivers is strangely similar to supporting Liverpool, Chelsea or Man U..and I know which one I'd prefer to drive.....) Sad about Studge but better for everyone if he can pick his career up somewhere like Italy or Spain...
I'm sorry, but that's an absolutely bizarre and totally nonsensical comparison!!!!

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I repeat, he really isn't! Absence has really made the heart grow fonder with Origi. He had a good six months when Klopp first arrived. Nearly two years ago now. For a year of that Sturridge did better than Origi when used. He's been on loan this year playing regular and he's hardly making people sit up and take notice. Sturridge may not be the answer. Origi definitely isn't. Ings definitely isn't (even worse injury history than Sturridge but with only half the skill). Solanke hopefully will be one day but he needs to actually score first.
Your arguments are becoming rather tiresome. Absence make the heart grow fonder, me bending the rules because I dislike Sturridge, etc. It couldn't simply be that people have a different opinion to you, nope.

As for the bolded part, seeing as you like to reduce arguments down simply to stats when it suits you, here are some from last season:

Origi: 7 league goals, 4 assists, 1,457 minutes.
Sturridge: 3 league goals, 2 assists, 769 minutes.

Now I'm no mathmetician but Sturridge doesn't seem to have been better than Origi at all to my untrained eye. Which is strange, because you present the people who think Origi is the better option as having short memories, living in the '15/16 season. Sturridge has scored 5 league goals in 18 months and you are accusing others of living on Origi's past. Incredible :well done:

The other thing to note is one player 22 years old with room for growth, the other is 28 and has been steadily on the decline for over 3 years.

Last edited:

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Your arguments are becoming rather tiresome. Absence make the heart grow fonder, me bending the rules because I dislike Sturridge, etc. It couldn't simply be that people have a different opinion to you, nope.

As for the bolded part, seeing as you like to reduce arguments down simply to stats when it suits you, here are some from last season:

Origi: 7 league goals, 4 assists, 1,457 minutes.
Sturridge: 3 league goals, 2 assists, 769 minutes.

Now I'm no mathmetician but Sturridge doesn't seem to have been better than Origi at all to my untrained eye. Which is strange, because you present the people who think Origi is the better option as having short memories, living in the '15/16 season. Sturridge has scored 5 league goals in 18 months and you are accusing others of living on Origi's past. Incredible :well done:

The other thing to note is one player 22 years old with room for growth, the other is 28 and has been steadily on the decline for over 3 years.
I will be shocked if Origi ever comes back and becomes a major part of this squad. I believe when Klopp loaned him out it was the beginning of the end. For the run up to the end of last season Klopp was picking Sturridge over Origi. You seem to be operating under some false assumption that I'm arguing that Sturridge is good enough. I'm not. I'm arguing that he's currently our best back up option. A situation that needs to improve sooner or later. So therefore if Sturridge goes we need a replacement or the squad is worse. You keep on thinking of more and more ways to explain why Sturridge doesn't matter. Truth is he's a squad player in an attack that is going well. They generally don't seem very essential until something goes wrong. If he goes without replacement we are taking a risk. Are you seriously happy only having three top options up front with no other real decent options if one of those three have a serious injury?

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
For the run up to the end of last season Klopp was picking Sturridge over Origi.
Well, that's stretching the truth just a little. Origi started 7 out of the last 8 games, Sturridge started 2 out of 8. It was only the last game in which Sturridge was picked and Origi wasn't.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Well, that's stretching the truth just a little. Origi started 7 out of the last 8 games, Sturridge started 2 out of 8. It was only the last game in which Sturridge was picked and Origi wasn't.
You're still missing the point. This isn't a "Sturridge or Origi" stance. It's a "bring someone in that is better than both before we go without either" stance. Origi is currently stinking the place out/quietly impressing in Germany for the season. Don't matter he isn't here. He's got a goal or assist every 226 minutes he's not doing enough for Klopp to go through the process of terminating his loan early. Whether or not he's slightly better than Sturridge (you think he is I dont, we'll have to agree to disagree) he's not good enough to improve us. We should only do activity in transfer windows that improves us. Selling Sturridge and going without or selling him and recalling Origi are both bad decisions for me. Neither visibly improve us and that should be the only motivation for us when we look to work in the transfer market.

YeGra

Even without Sturridge and Original, these are our options for the striker position:

Firmino, Solanke, Ings.

Now I reckon 3 is enough for one position, especially as Firmino is probably one of our least injury prone players in the team.

Permitting a freak injury to him, you still have two others to rely on. My problem is the quality in the back up strikers. Solanke clearly needs a bit more time and the cup games is where he's best suited. It's a tough one with Ings because as hard working as he is not sure if he's really a viable option long term. I'd argue if we are to get another striker it should be one of high quality, and then you get rid of all 3 of Origi, Sturridge and Ings.

Then you have:

Firmino (who's clearly first choice, despite being vastly underrated outside of Liverpool)
A top class striker to fill in for Firmino and give him rest
Solanke who's got potential and be played in cup games.

Anything more than that is surplus to requirements in my opinion.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Even without Sturridge and Original, these are our options for the striker position:

Firmino, Solanke, Ings.

Now I reckon 3 is enough for one position, especially as Firmino is probably one of our least injury prone players in the team.

Permitting a freak injury to him, you still have two others to rely on. My problem is the quality in the back up strikers. Solanke clearly needs a bit more time and the cup games is where he's best suited. It's a tough one with Ings because as hard working as he is not sure if he's really a viable option long term. I'd argue if we are to get another striker it should be one of high quality, and then you get rid of all 3 of Origi, Sturridge and Ings.

Then you have:

Firmino (who's clearly first choice, despite being vastly underrated outside of Liverpool)
A top class striker to fill in for Firmino and give him rest
Solanke who's got potential and be played in cup games.

Anything more than that is surplus to requirements in my opinion.
I agree towards the end of your point as to what we need. To say we have enough options with Firmino, Ings and Solanke I disagree with completely though for reasons you get on to later in your post. Need two strong options and Solanke as the something different, developmental talent.

[email protected]

Lets put it another. Would we buy Sturridge to come and be back up? Now. This version Sturridge. Resounding no and if we did then we'd all think our recruitment have lost their marbles. In that context how can we justify keeping him except for our medical team to document his numerous ailments.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Lets put it another. Would we buy Sturridge to come and be back up? Now. This version Sturridge. Resounding no and if we did then we'd all think our recruitment have lost their marbles. In that context how can we justify keeping him except for our medical team to document his numerous ailments.
So would you sell Mignolet and Karius without replacement either?

Status
Not open for further replies.