• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Daniel Sturridge (FW) Sevilla, Inter Milan, Southampton, West Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebreaker

I will be shocked if Origi ever comes back and becomes a major part of this squad. I believe when Klopp loaned him out it was the beginning of the end.
I actually think that he was sent on loan because he wanted game time in order to be picked for the World Cup. I think that Klopp rates him, as it should be, because we often seem to forget that he is only 22. Strikers rarely show numbers at that age, and he bagged double digits in goals accross two seasons with us, age 20 and 21.

He has scored 4 goals in Wolfsburg having played on the wing for half of his games. I believe we would regret heavily if we sold him, he can at least be a useful substitute for Firmino even at this level, and he still has lots of time to improve.

[email protected]

So would you sell Mignolet and Karius without replacement either?
You're naturally assuming that we will sell him without a replacement whereas the reality is that we have no idea if that is what Klopp intends. Our style is so fluid that a focal point is no longer just one but three interchangeable players. Put Sturridge in there and its a completely different dynamic. The thing is that we are really dynamic up front in that Mané can be central and so can Salah thus losing Bobby, while really bad, doesn't mean that we're stuck in a position like '09 when Ngog replaced Torres or 14/15 when we discovered that Sturridge would never really be fit.

The beauty of such flexibility within the team is that Ox can be a wide attacking player in a front three if injury and rotation is required as can Lallana and either one of Mané or Salah can cycle into the (false) 9. This is not the same as taking a player like a goalkeeper out of the team and not replacing him like for like and we have seen that Klopp can wait for the player he wants rather than just go with whats available.

Sturridge is the most expendable of our forward players now that Ings is at least fit again. Its unlikely that we would see much of him even if he stayed. This is of course just my opinion but I really feel that Sturridge is offering the least value of anybody in our squad. He's on a high wage, does not suit our style and is likely to break down when we might need him.

I mentioned before that I felt a twinge when I heard he might be off but in the cold, dispassionate world of football where any weakness is ruthlessly dealt with by your rivals, I don't think we can afford to carry him.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I actually think that he was sent on loan because he wanted game time in order to be picked for the World Cup. I think that Klopp rates him, as it should be, because we often seem to forget that he is only 22. Strikers rarely show numbers at that age, and he bagged double digits in goals accross two seasons with us, age 20 and 21.

He has scored 4 goals in Wolfsburg having played on the wing for half of his games. I believe we would regret heavily if we sold him, he can at least be a useful substitute for Firmino even at this level, and he still has lots of time to improve.
Completely disagree I doubt Klopp would have loaned out Origi and kept Sturridge after the amount of playing time Origi had under Klopp if you were right. Guess we will know before September 1st. Don't see any top teams trying to come in for him though. Wouldn't say he's nailed on for a world cup spot either.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
You're naturally assuming that we will sell him without a replacement whereas the reality is that we have no idea if that is what Klopp intends. Our style is so fluid that a focal point is no longer just one but three interchangeable players. Put Sturridge in there and its a completely different dynamic. The thing is that we are really dynamic up front in that Mané can be central and so can Salah thus losing Bobby, while really bad, doesn't mean that we're stuck in a position like '09 when Ngog replaced Torres or 14/15 when we discovered that Sturridge would never really be fit.

The beauty of such flexibility within the team is that Ox can be a wide attacking player in a front three if injury and rotation is required as can Lallana and either one of Mané or Salah can cycle into the (false) 9. This is not the same as taking a player like a goalkeeper out of the team and not replacing him like for like and we have seen that Klopp can wait for the player he wants rather than just go with whats available.

Sturridge is the most expendable of our forward players now that Ings is at least fit again. Its unlikely that we would see much of him even if he stayed. This is of course just my opinion but I really feel that Sturridge is offering the least value of anybody in our squad. He's on a high wage, does not suit our style and is likely to break down when we might need him.

I mentioned before that I felt a twinge when I heard he might be off but in the cold, dispassionate world of football where any weakness is ruthlessly dealt with by your rivals, I don't think we can afford to carry him.
I don't think you've read my posts. I'm fine with bringing an upgrade in then selling Sturridge. I'm also fine with bringing in a top class wide option to replace/recover from Coutinho leaving and then (with stronger wide options so we can shift Salah/Mane up front in emergencies) sell Sturridge. I'm not against improving the squad and then selling Sturridge. What I'm seeing is some posters saying to sell him as we don't need him/replacement.

lightdrizzle

TIA Reserve Team
Few sources claiming that Carroll could really move to Chelsea in this window, which is still a little unbelievable, but could see West Ham putting a bid in for Sturridge if this happens, may as well replace one injury prone striker from Liverpool with another.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
Few sources claiming that Carroll could really move to Chelsea in this window, which is still a little unbelievable, but could see West Ham putting a bid in for Sturridge if this happens, may as well replace one injury prone striker from Liverpool with another.
Ahm only one of them is a striker :rolleyes:

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
What do you guys reckon of selling him but not replacing him.....don’t forget we still have origi out on loan....come to think of it, who do you reckon Klopp prefers, origi, sturidge or no one....

Could make an interesting topic, this....

eythor

What do you guys reckon of selling him but not replacing him.....don’t forget we still have origi out on loan....come to think of it, who do you reckon Klopp prefers, origi, sturidge or no one....

Could make an interesting topic, this....
IMO he doesn't need "replacing" because he offers very little as it stands. We should just sell him now, while we might get something for him.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
I'd actually punt Arsenal as a very intriguing place for Studge. Playing alongside Laca and PEA might just be what his career needs.

SithBaare

Not happy hearing Arsenal getting PEA.
Only a matter of time. PEA wanted out of Dortmund and none of the big and better clubs were interested enough to bid for him. Including Liverpool.

Not happy with this move, would rather the fella go to PSG or any other club but it's what it is. Mkithiryan behind PEA and Lacazette in a 4-3-1-2 formation would be a simple solution with Xhaka, Wilshere as the other Midfielders alongside Ozil.

All they would ideally need is a CB and they're set for the rest of the season. Makes people think why the fuck Wenger couldn't get this done before though.

Makes the Arsenal blud fam happy you understand.

Steve_LFC

Only a matter of time. PEA wanted out of Dortmund and none of the big and better clubs were interested enough to bid for him. Including Liverpool.

Not happy with this move, would rather the fella go to PSG or any other club but it's what it is. Mkithiryan behind PEA and Lacazette in a 4-3-1-2 formation would be a simple solution with Xhaka, Wilshere as the other Midfielders alongside Ozil.

All they would ideally need is a CB and they're set for the rest of the season. Makes people think why the fuck Wenger couldn't get this done before though.

Makes the Arsenal blud fam happy you understand.
Wonder why we weren't interested... I'm pretty sure he comes here instead

SithBaare

Wonder why we weren't interested... I'm pretty sure he comes here instead
That's a question for me too. I'd have thought Klopp would have jumped at the thought of getting Aube. Reckon it's cause Klopp doesn't work with a CF anymore. He's changed in that regard, From having proper strikers is Lewandowski and Aubemeyang, He's opted for a False 9 in Firmino with the wingers in Mane and Salah being the main attacking threat. An Aubemeyang might not fit Liverpool's gameplan anymore

GTA_G20

FirminoFan
I think having coached PEA at Dortmund Klopp doesn't want him disrupting his locker room here.
Back to the topic Sturridge can go if someone or anyone will take him. He doesn't play. Injured or healthy. Solanke has been chosen time and time again over him. Let him go and play elsewhere.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I think having coached PEA at Dortmund Klopp doesn't want him disrupting his locker room here.
Back to the topic Sturridge can go if someone or anyone will take him. He doesn't play. Injured or healthy. Solanke has been chosen time and time again over him. Let him go and play elsewhere.
Despite injuries Sturridge has actually spent longer on the pitch than Solanke. Maybe only 16 minutes but still longer. Solanke has 4 more appearances too. Means that Klopp has, usually, been more inclined to use Solanke for shorter appearances and Sturridge (when available) for when hes needed someone for longer appearances.

Esoteric

I'd prefer, if Studge is moving on, that he went to The Hammers or The Saints so he can help take points off our rivals

Steve_LFC

I keep saying this, but we can't have every boss player knocking about.

We are clearly not interested in his, and given Klopp has worked with him, I'll trust his judgement.
True but im still not happy with "Arsenal" in specific getting him.
Arsenal was beginning to fall apart and CL appearances looking like a rarity for them in the next few years to come.
Dont want them having any signs of life

Limiescouse

I keep saying this, but we can't have every boss player knocking about.

We are clearly not interested in his, and given Klopp has worked with him, I'll trust his judgement.
And there is actually a flip side. Some moves occur independent of general trends, but players like PEA moving here can contribute to a trend of making our league a more interesting place to play for players considering their next move. Since the turn of the last decade our league has lost some cache, but seems to be getting some of it back. That makes it a more attractive place to play and can work in our favour if a target of ours is debating us or, for example, staying in Germany.

Limiescouse

Arsenal was beginning to fall apart and CL appearances looking like a rarity for them in the next few years to come.
Losing Sanchez who gives the impression of having a bad attitude and gaining someone who actually has one is not a positive step for them, especially as it's role they don't really need to strengthen. About the best thing you can say for it, is it gives him options to just pack his defense and midfield and allow his top 4 the licence to just try and score enough goals to accommodate their other deficiencies

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Lots of people said this about Lacazette as well. If anything, they've got worse.

Signing Aubemayang seems like a move borne of panic, more than anything else.

Icebreaker

Joyce tweeted today that Inter Milan are now interested in Sturridge. Would rather get some hard cash for him, with Italians it must be some kind of loan and optional fee.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
IF Firmino had received a season ending injury when Knobgate shoved him into the stands, I wonder what the general consensus moving forward would have been.

If I was a betting man, I would expect most would have been wanting us to buy a striker. Aubemeyang the obvious choice, or Icardi etc.

OR we'd have been relying on DS to step up and find his form.

We certainly would not have been happy to sell DS and not buy anyone.

So I personally don't want him to leave until the summer unless there is someone coming in, and I don't think Klopp is the kind to do a patch job, so if a player isn't available that we want as part of the bigger picture anyway, I don't think we will buy a replacement.

Of course if we are happy to gamble on Firmino staying uninjured, then there's probably no problem.

lightdrizzle

TIA Reserve Team
Getting the feeling the fact that Klopp is willing to sell but reluctant to do a loan deal, suggests Klopp has a replacement in mind for January if sold.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Joyce tweeted today that Inter Milan are now interested in Sturridge. Would rather get some hard cash for him, with Italians it must be some kind of loan and optional fee.
Just out of interest, gauging the forums here....but am I the only person that notices stereotypical racism/typecasting in all transfer posts about Italian clubs and no one gives a hoot.

Replace Italian with Jewish, and watch the bans fly in, replace it with African....and...well....

Just asking the forums....because despite our pathetic ( post rush, pre Salah mind you) dealings with Italian clubs, they have certainly spent their fair share of money in world football historically.....you can’t blame them for taking advantage of our weak management

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
Just out of interest, gauging the forums here....but am I the only person that notices stereotypical racism/typecasting in all transfer posts about Italian clubs and no one gives a hoot.

Replace Italian with Jewish, and watch the bans fly in, replace it with African....and...well....

Just asking the forums....because despite our pathetic ( post rush, pre Salah mind you) dealings with Italian clubs, they have certainly spent their fair share of money in world football historically.....you can’t blame them for taking advantage of our weak management
I look at that and assume he's talking about the clubs in Italy and how they're run rather than any kind of disrespect to a nationality,but that's just me.

Livvy

Alles wird gut

Limiescouse

No, this is not racism or any form of prejudice. It is merely acknowledging the era of austerity that has defined the last 10 years or so of Italian football and the sort of one sided deals their clubs have been forced into being good at finding. Their richest club is in genuine risk of going into insolvency and their best side has recreated itself on exactly the sort of deals we are weary about, having been burned on them with Italian clubs in the recent past.

Status
Not open for further replies.