• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Daniel Sturridge (FW) Sevilla, Inter Milan, Southampton, West Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSeven

On the one road
Anfield HQ‏Conta verificada @AnfieldHQ
Sevilla have been informed by Liverpool that they must match Inter's offer. Sturridge would prefer a move to Sevilla and has previously revealed his fascination with Spanish and the intention to increase his vocabulary in the language. (@MelissaReddy_)

So he prefers Sevilla so he can learn spanish ?

Dont think that would be my deciding factor :)

from what i remember he has been learning spanish for a while,possibly in the hope of playing for a spanish club one day.

Mark Thurgood

I personally would choose inter over Sevilla, the game is slower in Italy and would be better for him.

Redsi73

I'd just let him go. 10/12million would do.

I know he's injury plagued but when he was fit there were not many around who could match his instincts in front of goal.

El Dorado

Shakin' and stirred
Italy’s the place for him. He’s a lot like a Fiat at this point. Fix it again, Tony. But when he does run...

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I can't understand why we keep falling for these Italian 'yeah mate, we'll definitely buy him, no worries' deals.

Steve_LFC

I would be quite happy for him, if he had a good second half and made the world cup team.

Mark Thurgood

Italian fans are notoriously racist bastards.

If I were a black footballer it would be the last place I would go to play a top-tier league
yes you could say that, I was thinking of his injury issues it’s a slower paced game. Saying that racism is everywhere, it’ll never be abolished.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
At this point in time, I would let him go play football where he prefers.

He has been a good servant to this club. He is not being used and has 18 months left on his contract.. A nominal fee (lets say £10M) and having his wages off the books (£12M for the remainder) would be a win for both parties.

He knows its his last chance at a world cup, and knows it wont happen if he stays here not being used/in a system that does not suit him.

Mascot88

Admin

He has been a good servant to this club. He is not being used and has 18 months left on his contract.. A nominal fee (lets say £10M) and having his wages off the books (£12M for the remainder) would be a win for both parties.

He knows its his last chance at a world cup, and knows it wont happen if he stays here not being used/in a system that does not suit him.
What about going to Inter Milan, as long as they really, really, really, really promise to buy him in the summer.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
That would be last resort but I would consider under no illusion it won’t happen.

Would rather though structure a permanent deal. 1M every 10 appearances till it’s 10M and 50% of sell on clause or something like that.

If we can agree a loan deal we should be able to negotiate permanent deal if structured correctly.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

I agree with this. A lot of people ignore the human element. Sturridge is an extremely talented individual who did as much as anyone to try and win us our first league title in decades and he's done what he can for us. He's never been spiteful or snidey in the media or worked through his reps even over the last couple of years under Klopp when his availability has been surprisingly high but his use by us very low. He's a player whose career is fading out who never achieved what he could have and this is his chance to seize one last hoorah towards the end. He doesn't deserve to be kept and not used when it'll cost him so much personally to do so. It isn't his fault we haven't strengthened the attack since the Coutinho departure yet. I want us to replace Coutinho and/or Sturridge but have no issue with him going and trying to achieve something that could end up being one of his highlight memories from his career.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
I fully understand that he seems to prefer Sevilla. Inter would be an awful place to go for him anyway. This is a club with fans imitating monkey cries when seeing a dark skin... if I was him, I'd stay far away from this sh*thole of a club (nice city though).

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
For Pete's sake, you've spent the last few pages saying we mustn't let him go or we'd be doomed due to lack of options! I love a good flip flop myself but don't tend to be quite so entrenched before changing my mind!
I dont know about flip-flopping as Ive not read the thread but it's a similar view to mine on Sturridge.

Sturridge deserves a chance at a club where the style of play is more suited to his game. Not a Klopp player in a million years. But I also agree we need someone else in. I don't see any contradiction there. Coutinho/Grujic/Sturridge out and no midfielder or forward in starts to look like an act of self-sabotage.

If no one is coming Sturridge is at least a decent bench option. Considered good enough to start against Chelsea as recently as November. Solanke shows promise but has never scored in a competitive game for us. Ings has played half an hour of first team football this season and 20 minutes of that was in the Carabao Cup. The alternatives are not great.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
For Pete's sake, you've spent the last few pages saying we mustn't let him go or we'd be doomed due to lack of options! I love a good flip flop myself but don't tend to be quite so entrenched before changing my mind!
@Billy Biskix answered quite well it's the letting go of him and Coutinho, a starter and a first choice back up player, without any incomings which is what gets me angry/concerned. People listing vastly inferior options in the squad as reasons why we can cope without them and don't need replacements really gets my back up. We should only do business in transfer windows that improves us. Getting a CF option that suits us better than Sturridge shouldn't actually be too hard, then let Sturridge go. There's no question about us having enough money to convince a club to sell an appropriate player to us. I don't accept the January window excuse. I'd say Fekir could actually be a very good back up to Firmino playing the same false 9 style. And it doesn't need to be a top winger option like Lemar to replace Coutinho (although we do only seem to be talking about an asking price of 17 million more for him than we've already offered so not sure I see the morale high ground we are supposed to be standing on here) but even someone like Quincy Promes would be a real good alternative on the left to Mane as Promes offers pace and goal threat from out wide. I can happily let Sturridge leave as we should be able to improve as a squad. I don't accept a situation where we don't try and improve our current options in attack this winter full stop however. That to me, regardless of Sturridge staying or going, is unacceptable and could seriously cost us this season yet.

Mascot88

Admin
I dont know about flip-flopping as Ive not read the thread but it's a similar view to mine on Sturridge.

Sturridge deserves a chance at a club where the style of play is more suited to his game. Not a Klopp player in a million years. But I also agree we need someone else in. I don't see any contradiction there. Coutinho/Grujic/Sturridge out and no midfielder or forward in starts to look like an act of self-sabotage.

If no one is coming Sturridge is at least a decent bench option. Considered good enough to start against Chelsea as recently as November. Solanke shows promise but has never scored in a competitive game for us. Ings has played half an hour of first team football this season and 20 minutes of that was in the Carabao Cup. The alternatives are not great.
Anyone know where Ejaria is in terms of fitness? He was or that looked like kicking on in Klopp's first season, and plays that creative/attacking mid role.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Anyone know where Ejaria is in terms of fitness? He was or that looked like kicking on in Klopp's first season, and plays that creative/attacking mid role.
I'd say he's behind Ox, Lallana, Wijnaldum and Milner for the two more advanced CM roles. Actually I have no problem with the depth in that area at all, especially with Keita coming in seemingly for Milner. The deepest CM role is concerning if Can leaves but Can and Henderson isn't awful. Both have top class potential. But out wide we either have to sacrifice that midfield by using Ox or Lallana to cover Salah and Mane or we are using Woodburn and Markovic. I find that unacceptable no matter how many hopes I have for Woodburn (although those hopes are more of a CAM or false 9 role not a winger role as he doesn't have the required pace in my eyes).

Elessar

Sturridge may yet be a good finisher but his almost no existing pressing game hurt our defense a lot. Our pressing game is all about that every players can work their socks off. Sturridge simply can't do that probably because of all his injuries.

There isn't a chance that Solanke at the moment is a better player than him but he fits our style of play and tactics.

Sturridge got a few chances but he showed every time that he don't fit our tactics and system. He make our other attacking players worse and our midfield and defense worse. Not because he isn't good enough scoring because he can't play the Klopp style pressing game.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Major issue is losing Sturridge doesn't really impact us, his availability is so up and down it's not really even worth looking at replacing him. I think I'd rely on Woodburn or Solanke both at least are fit to play.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Sure, I heard your reluctance to let him go without replacing. It just sounded like you were then saying we had a moral duty to let him go, without including that replacement caveat.

Fwiw it looks like hes going given all the talk of loan deals and am not convinced we'll get a replacement this window, based on what Klopp said and his apparent disdain for stopgaps (Crouchy anyone!?) so presumably we will be taking a bit of a punt on Ings and Solanke.

Suicide? Hopefully not but time will tell. You can say I told you so if it goes tits up. :well done:
I can see the confusion. It's almost two separate issues but they are linked. Even when fit and available Sturridge can score in back to back games without getting on the pitch for the next 3 games. He was available for around 80% of our games last season (in match day squad, may have been available for more especially with Klopps strict attitude on fitness) and been available for at least 20 games this season. He's certainly not being used as much as he could be. And that's because he doesn't fit well (slightly worse fit than Solanke and Ings who still aren't perfect fits for me). For him we should be letting him go or using him more. We won't use him more so for his sake we should let him go and seize his last chance to make this world cup, that's huge for a player and we're sabotaging it by keeping and not using him. For us we need a genuine alternative to Firmino to challenge him and give Klopp a nice headache or, at very least, provide like for like cover. Firmino is one of our most important players and we don't have a like for like replacement. We need that. But Sturridge shouldn't be punished because we are reluctant to spend some of the massive amount of money sitting in the bank. Whilst he's here he's our best option if we need cover for a run of games. But that situation should be something we should be working on improving anyway.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I really don't see it as punishing him, he's got a contract and not just want to play in a WC year, hes been happy enough on £150k on the bench \ treatment table at other times! I sympathise but don't buy into the obligation.

Plus, unless he has a blinder he isn't going to get in the WC squad anyway, for the same reasons of fitness, intensity and inflexibility that stop him being used so much for us. Vardy, Rashford, maybe even Walcott are fitter, faster, good finishers and are probably tactically more flexible than Sturridge. Btw, moving abroad isn't likely to get him noticed for the WC year either IMO.

So, cutting to the chase, if there isn't a good replacement out there - eg: Klopp doesnt seem to fancy Aubameyang - do we still let him go?

You suggest that's a big risk and it is a valid point, i just think realistically it is less of a risk than that. What would we be missing? He hasnt been banging goals in to force Klopps hand, his head doesnt seem that focused, he probably needs a run of games to get to his proper level (if he can again) and the fitness issues will always be a concern.

He used to be devastating but I struggle to see him at that level again. Maybe I'm being harsh - I'm not desperate for him to leave but it is inevitable, so why not move ahead evolving the squad, eg: by testing some of the younger lads, giving games to other players who've been professional and waited for their chance. Maybe Solanke thinks he could get on the plane to Russia if he gets a few more games and has a blinder?
You say "giving games to other players who've been professional and waited for their chance" but then about Sturridge you say "hes been happy enough on £150k on the bench" he really can't win. If he's being patient and not pushing for release he's being lazy and sitting on a salary not arsed about playing. If he's pushing for an exit he's being ungrateful and unprofessional. He really can't win. He's training. He's being available. He's not kicking off in press or social media. He hasn't been a perfect fit since Klopp came just done what he can to help us when called upon (which hasn't been anywhere near as often as he's been available for all his reputation he's actually been available loads this season and last). As towards ability I don't think you realise how good he still is. He's got a goal or assist every 109 minutes under Klopp despite not being a good fit, playing irregularly and not being a trusted starter at any point. If he goes to a club set up to use a traditional 9 and he's playing once a week he'll probably still be able to play most games and he'd be scoring most games. Some of his skills are still at the very top level for players.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I think if he was honestly desperate for first team football he'd have gone eighteen months ago or worked his arse off to force his way into the team, given all his apparent quality. So I find it a bit rich him suddenly wanting first team football and put in the graft because there's a WC.

Hes not unprofessional but neither are all the other lads. Why doesnt Solanke deserve the chance of first team football and going to the WC? I assume Klopp favouring Solanke on merit.

Maybe if Sturridge seemed to give more of a shit then I would too, and so would Klopp.
How is Sturridge giving less of a shit than Solanke? How do you know this? Solanke is younger and has not had multiple major injuries so he can show a lil more hustle out on the pitch, it's still nowhere near Firmino or Kuyt level. I'd say it's no more than Sturridge was able to show when he partnered Suarez and we finished 2nd. It's hardly like Sturridge has chosen to have a series of painful injuries and issues that mean he can't put the same energy levels in as a 21 year old at peak condition. It's like criticising Lallana for not being as fast as Salah. It's not a choice and I'm sure given the option of no injury history Sturridge would love to do more work for us. It's bizarre how some people seem to hold Sturridge injury history against him like he's chosen it! Lesley King never got that treatment from Spurs fans. Really disappointing as I've always believed Liverpool fans are generally a cut above others. Seriously how do you know he's not working his arse off? Giving his all? He's actually played more minutes this season than Solanke despite missing more games. Klopp is an absolute perfectionist, as demanding a coach as you can get. Demands effort and application but has seemingly been happy with Sturridge despite him being a terrible fit. I say again what I said before, if he was kicking up a fuss he'd be slated for being disrespectful and unprofessional so I don't see how it's fair to have a go at him for quietly going about his business, professionally. He's clearly talked with Klopp behind closed doors about wanting to leave and left it at that. He's behaving impeccably in my eyes so not sure how you can have a go at him over it. Would you prefer if he'd have acted like Sterling, Mascherano or even Coutinho when they all wanted to leave? If he'd refused to play and started putting out stories in the media about not wanting to work with Klopp last summer would you be willing to show him more respect and appreciation? Don't know what you're actually wanting from him. He can't just suddenly play like he's someone else with someone else's fitness.

Ron Swanson

I hope Sturridge gets a move this month yeah it means we run the risk but he wants to play and he ain't getting enough of a look in under Jurgen. If he goes abroad the better the Premier is the most competitive league on the planet and if he goes to Spain or Italy hopefully he will see his injuries a thing of the past and return to the player we al knew he is capable of.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
@Anfield rd Dreamer not interested in continuing to argue the toss but to clarify for you:

- I think he should have gone 18 months ago as he has contributed little since, despite being our top earner. Imo its a bit hypocritical to say he's desperate for first team football now after being happy enough as a bit part player for a long time.

- He should definitely go now as other players have been equally patient and deserve a chance too. As you suggest, he probably can't hustle like Solanke any more, so why is it even a consideration?

- decent guy, love the dance and good luck if he does well elsewhere but it'll take real hunger from him, which I'm not sure is in his locker now or has ever really been. His talent was never in doubt, though.
First point he's not our top earner, his contract was discussed at the time as being heavily incentivised (as most of ours are) he probably isn't close to being our top earner these days with the contracts that have been signed since. Seriously how do you know he has been happy or not? There's still nothing public from him now when it seems he's on the verge of leaving so what do you expect to have seen from him over the last 18 months?

Second point I'm not sure what you're saying or why it matters. Yes he's not able to hustle and harrass like Firmino, very very few players can and Solanke isn't one of them either. We haven't got a like for like for Firmino in the squad, if that's your justification for wanting Sturridge gone he should be first of many it's an odd stance. Very few forwards do that kind of work. He should leave because he's not a right fit for the team. It's not good for his career or our options as they need improving with an incoming. As it stands though he's our second best option after Firmino without restructuring our side. He's scored as many this season as Ings has in 2 and a half years and Solanke still hasn't scored. He needs to leave and he's a bad fit but he's the best we've got in our squad roles.

I'm pretty confident he's going to be fine. I'm just hoping we are too.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
As it seems he is off thought this should be posted, not like the types of goals he scores has changed significantly, his timing, reading of build up play and technical ability really are world class still. Some absolutely beautiful goals here. Such a shame, could have been one of our best if it weren't for injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.