• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Daniel Sturridge (FW) Sevilla, Inter Milan, Southampton, West Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Well that sorts that out then. I'm glad no one on the boards is that way inclined.....

Did I ever tell you the one about the Jew, the African and the lesbian?
Before I answer, do we have any African Jewish Lesbian members who'd be offended? Or can anybody take that offence on their behalf?

Not Worthy

Before I answer, do we have any African Jewish Lesbian members who'd be offended? Or can anybody take that offence on their behalf?
Oi veh & kutomba. On behalf on my sister and her girlfriend, yes !!!

Reactions: ptt

gr_sounder

I'm just offended that you think I might be offended at such things.

Back to Sturridge. I had been so happy for him before his last rounds of injuries, he seemed to be enjoying life, and playing well, and was a good fun influence on others. The recent (last year or so) of setbacks has been rough on him and the team. When he is on the field and in good form, simply a deadly scorer.

I am glad that we will be sending him abroad rather than somewhere in the Premier League.
I will always wish him the best of luck as I think overall he is a good guy.

kwala

TIA Regular
I wouldn't loan an Italian club a spoon of sugar. They will never in a million years pay any agreed fee.

STE123

Lurker
Anfield HQ‏Conta verificada @AnfieldHQ
Sevilla have been informed by Liverpool that they must match Inter's offer. Sturridge would prefer a move to Sevilla and has previously revealed his fascination with Spanish and the intention to increase his vocabulary in the language. (@MelissaReddy_)

So he prefers Sevilla so he can learn spanish ?

Dont think that would be my deciding factor :-)

RedSeven

On the one road
Ad-free Member
Anfield HQ‏Conta verificada @AnfieldHQ
Sevilla have been informed by Liverpool that they must match Inter's offer. Sturridge would prefer a move to Sevilla and has previously revealed his fascination with Spanish and the intention to increase his vocabulary in the language. (@MelissaReddy_)

So he prefers Sevilla so he can learn spanish ?

Dont think that would be my deciding factor :-)

from what i remember he has been learning spanish for a while,possibly in the hope of playing for a spanish club one day.

Mark Thurgood

I personally would choose inter over Sevilla, the game is slower in Italy and would be better for him.

Redsi73

I'd just let him go. 10/12million would do.

I know he's injury plagued but when he was fit there were not many around who could match his instincts in front of goal.

El Dorado

Shakin' and stirred
Italy’s the place for him. He’s a lot like a Fiat at this point. Fix it again, Tony. But when he does run...

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I can't understand why we keep falling for these Italian 'yeah mate, we'll definitely buy him, no worries' deals.

Steve_LFC

I would be quite happy for him, if he had a good second half and made the world cup team.

Mark Thurgood

Italian fans are notoriously racist bastards.

If I were a black footballer it would be the last place I would go to play a top-tier league
yes you could say that, I was thinking of his injury issues it’s a slower paced game. Saying that racism is everywhere, it’ll never be abolished.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
At this point in time, I would let him go play football where he prefers.

He has been a good servant to this club. He is not being used and has 18 months left on his contract.. A nominal fee (lets say £10M) and having his wages off the books (£12M for the remainder) would be a win for both parties.

He knows its his last chance at a world cup, and knows it wont happen if he stays here not being used/in a system that does not suit him.

Mascot88

Admin

He has been a good servant to this club. He is not being used and has 18 months left on his contract.. A nominal fee (lets say £10M) and having his wages off the books (£12M for the remainder) would be a win for both parties.

He knows its his last chance at a world cup, and knows it wont happen if he stays here not being used/in a system that does not suit him.
What about going to Inter Milan, as long as they really, really, really, really promise to buy him in the summer.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
That would be last resort but I would consider under no illusion it won’t happen.

Would rather though structure a permanent deal. 1M every 10 appearances till it’s 10M and 50% of sell on clause or something like that.

If we can agree a loan deal we should be able to negotiate permanent deal if structured correctly.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

I agree with this. A lot of people ignore the human element. Sturridge is an extremely talented individual who did as much as anyone to try and win us our first league title in decades and he's done what he can for us. He's never been spiteful or snidey in the media or worked through his reps even over the last couple of years under Klopp when his availability has been surprisingly high but his use by us very low. He's a player whose career is fading out who never achieved what he could have and this is his chance to seize one last hoorah towards the end. He doesn't deserve to be kept and not used when it'll cost him so much personally to do so. It isn't his fault we haven't strengthened the attack since the Coutinho departure yet. I want us to replace Coutinho and/or Sturridge but have no issue with him going and trying to achieve something that could end up being one of his highlight memories from his career.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
I fully understand that he seems to prefer Sevilla. Inter would be an awful place to go for him anyway. This is a club with fans imitating monkey cries when seeing a dark skin... if I was him, I'd stay far away from this sh*thole of a club (nice city though).

scouseheadross

Septical
I agree with this. A lot of people ignore the human element. Sturridge is an extremely talented individual who did as much as anyone to try and win us our first league title in decades and he's done what he can for us. He's never been spiteful or snidey in the media or worked through his reps even over the last couple of years under Klopp when his availability has been surprisingly high but his use by us very low. He's a player whose career is fading out who never achieved what he could have and this is his chance to seize one last hoorah towards the end. He doesn't deserve to be kept and not used when it'll cost him so much personally to do so. It isn't his fault we haven't strengthened the attack since the Coutinho departure yet. I want us to replace Coutinho and/or Sturridge but have no issue with him going and trying to achieve something that could end up being one of his highlight memories from his career.
For Pete's sake, you've spent the last few pages saying we mustn't let him go or we'd be doomed due to lack of options! I love a good flip flop myself but don't tend to be quite so entrenched before changing my mind!

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
For Pete's sake, you've spent the last few pages saying we mustn't let him go or we'd be doomed due to lack of options! I love a good flip flop myself but don't tend to be quite so entrenched before changing my mind!
I dont know about flip-flopping as Ive not read the thread but it's a similar view to mine on Sturridge.

Sturridge deserves a chance at a club where the style of play is more suited to his game. Not a Klopp player in a million years. But I also agree we need someone else in. I don't see any contradiction there. Coutinho/Grujic/Sturridge out and no midfielder or forward in starts to look like an act of self-sabotage.

If no one is coming Sturridge is at least a decent bench option. Considered good enough to start against Chelsea as recently as November. Solanke shows promise but has never scored in a competitive game for us. Ings has played half an hour of first team football this season and 20 minutes of that was in the Carabao Cup. The alternatives are not great.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
@Billy Biskix answered quite well it's the letting go of him and Coutinho, a starter and a first choice back up player, without any incomings which is what gets me angry/concerned. People listing vastly inferior options in the squad as reasons why we can cope without them and don't need replacements really gets my back up. We should only do business in transfer windows that improves us. Getting a CF option that suits us better than Sturridge shouldn't actually be too hard, then let Sturridge go. There's no question about us having enough money to convince a club to sell an appropriate player to us. I don't accept the January window excuse. I'd say Fekir could actually be a very good back up to Firmino playing the same false 9 style. And it doesn't need to be a top winger option like Lemar to replace Coutinho (although we do only seem to be talking about an asking price of 17 million more for him than we've already offered so not sure I see the morale high ground we are supposed to be standing on here) but even someone like Quincy Promes would be a real good alternative on the left to Mane as Promes offers pace and goal threat from out wide. I can happily let Sturridge leave as we should be able to improve as a squad. I don't accept a situation where we don't try and improve our current options in attack this winter full stop however. That to me, regardless of Sturridge staying or going, is unacceptable and could seriously cost us this season yet.

Mascot88

Admin
I dont know about flip-flopping as Ive not read the thread but it's a similar view to mine on Sturridge.

Sturridge deserves a chance at a club where the style of play is more suited to his game. Not a Klopp player in a million years. But I also agree we need someone else in. I don't see any contradiction there. Coutinho/Grujic/Sturridge out and no midfielder or forward in starts to look like an act of self-sabotage.

If no one is coming Sturridge is at least a decent bench option. Considered good enough to start against Chelsea as recently as November. Solanke shows promise but has never scored in a competitive game for us. Ings has played half an hour of first team football this season and 20 minutes of that was in the Carabao Cup. The alternatives are not great.
Anyone know where Ejaria is in terms of fitness? He was or that looked like kicking on in Klopp's first season, and plays that creative/attacking mid role.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Anyone know where Ejaria is in terms of fitness? He was or that looked like kicking on in Klopp's first season, and plays that creative/attacking mid role.
I'd say he's behind Ox, Lallana, Wijnaldum and Milner for the two more advanced CM roles. Actually I have no problem with the depth in that area at all, especially with Keita coming in seemingly for Milner. The deepest CM role is concerning if Can leaves but Can and Henderson isn't awful. Both have top class potential. But out wide we either have to sacrifice that midfield by using Ox or Lallana to cover Salah and Mane or we are using Woodburn and Markovic. I find that unacceptable no matter how many hopes I have for Woodburn (although those hopes are more of a CAM or false 9 role not a winger role as he doesn't have the required pace in my eyes).

Status
Not open for further replies.