• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Daniel Sturridge (FW) Sevilla, Inter Milan, Southampton, West Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Technically, he's (or was) fantastic. Arguably the best we've had in the last 20 years or so. Owen had the best pace, Fowler was the best finisher, Torres was the best as a leading #9, Suarez was the best overall player of them. But Sturridge's technique was up there, if not a bit higher than all of them.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Technically, he's (or was) fantastic. Arguably the best we've had in the last 20 years or so. Owen had the best pace, Fowler was the best finisher, Torres was the best as a leading #9, Suarez was the best overall player of them. But Sturridge's technique was up there, if not a bit higher than all of them.
Don't actually think he's lost any of that if you look at the most recent goals in that video. He's just not quite as fast (still very fast in quick short bursts, timing his runs). He's lost the sustained running pace he had and has to be more conservative. He's a bad fit for a side that relies on constant moving and pressing across the front line. At a different side that can leave him up top conserving his energy he can be really effective still.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Sigh, you've explained it all by yourself, he can't hustle as well as Solanke due to injuries. Isn't that ultimatelu what makes him a poor fit? (Solanke is a straight up 9 as well).

Despite this you say hes the second best option we have if Firmino is injured. However that is not borne out by Klopps selection. I assume you know better than our boss though.
Solanke isn't a perfect fit either. The fact that he's 50% or something compared to Sturridge being 35% of Firmino in the pressing and movement doesn't matter much more to me. That extra bit of hustle from Solanke doesn't mean he's a better fit than Sturridge to me or seemingly Klopp. Solanke has appeared on the pitch for less time than Sturridge even though he's been available more games and made more appearances. When Klopp has needed someone for longer appearances he's usually turned to Sturridge when he's had cameo opportunities hes usually used Solanke for them for development. Generally speaking. Thats what im talking about. If Firmino is playing then its fine having Solanke and Ings for cameos of the bench. My concern is what happens if Firmino needs cover for a run of 5-10 games. Solanke could have his confidence destroyed if he's still struggling to score. Could really stunt his development.

[email protected]

Don't actually think he's lost any of that if you look at the most recent goals in that video. He's just not quite as fast (still very fast in quick short bursts, timing his runs). He's lost the sustained running pace he had and has to be more conservative. He's a bad fit for a side that relies on constant moving and pressing across the front line. At a different side that can leave him up top conserving his energy he can be really effective still.
I don't think that is quite true. Granted he is probably quicker than you and I or most but in top level football he has lost that acceleration off the mark as well as acceleration off the turn. We've seen him unable to make it to a ball played through on numerous occasions either being beaten to it or running out of play. That pace off the mark and movement was integral to what made him such a good player for us. Without it now, with the way we play which is all about quick breaks and fluid movement, just not going to happen for him.

His best role for us is if we're leading by two or so where he can come in and play the game that he now plays. No coincidence that his goals and assists have mostly come in that scenario. Not all, mind you, but most.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I don't think that is quite true. Granted he is probably quicker than you and I or most but in top level football he has lost that acceleration off the mark as well as acceleration off the turn. We've seen him unable to make it to a ball played through on numerous occasions either being beaten to it or running out of play. That pace off the mark and movement was integral to what made him such a good player for us. Without it now, with the way we play which is all about quick breaks and fluid movement, just not going to happen for him.

His best role for us is if we're leading by two or so where he can come in and play the game that he now plays. No coincidence that his goals and assists have mostly come in that scenario. Not all, mind you, but most.
Think you need to go watch the last few goals on that video I posted. Last 5-10 show plenty of pace still. Just measured over short bursts. He still leaves plenty of defenders in his wake at times.

GaryBarlow99

I remember the West Ham game last season where we played a diamond in midfield (I think!) and Sturridge and Origi were up front. Thought it worked really well and its a shame we never got to see more of those two together or that system used again.

big noyd

my recollection is that west ham was at the beach and coutinho was utterly rampant

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Italian fans are notoriously racist bastards.

If I were a black footballer it would be the last place I would go to play a top-tier league
Spain has had some fairly ugly incidents as well.

lightdrizzle

TIA Reserve Team
Hopefully he will have a fantastic 6 months where ever he goes and we can get a decent fee for him in the Summer, before he gets injured at the World Cup.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Really cool if he goes to test himself in Serie A or La Liga. The latter would probably be better for him in footballing terms, but it should be a great experience no matter where he goes.

Would he be the second English player to play for Inter if he goes there? Can't think of anyone else than Ince.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Yes I would certainly like to see him move abroad.... forget playing for the likes of Moyes and even Soton. Go to Inter, nice city and slower paced. If that Luis Alberto and Lucas fella can make something out of themselves, I am sure this fella will be a hit there.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Surprised that there has not been more churn about him going to Southampton or Swansea. Both look to me to be fundamentally sound sides that just struggle to score, so drop points against teams they can actually control the game against. For all his limitations now, Sturridge can do that.

RedSeven

On the one road
Ad-free Member
Surprised that there has not been more churn about him going to Southampton or Swansea. Both look to me to be fundamentally sound sides that just struggle to score, so drop points against teams they can actually control the game against. For all his limitations now, Sturridge can do that.
Could it be his salary

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Could it be his salary
Neither Sevilla nor Inter have particularly deep pockets either - Southampton was just behind Inter in total revenue a couple of years ago, just ahead of Sevilla. My guess is Sevilla has gained quite a bit of ground because of EL/CL revenues, but they are basically all in the same general category.

eythor

Really cool if he goes to test himself in Serie A or La Liga. The latter would probably be better for him in footballing terms, but it should be a great experience no matter where he goes.

Would he be the second English player to play for Inter if he goes there? Can't think of anyone else than Ince.
Gerry Hitchens as well. Him not being the first player that comes to mind is understandable.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
I hope Sturridge gets a move this month yeah it means we run the risk but he wants to play and he ain't getting enough of a look in under Jurgen. If he goes abroad the better the Premier is the most competitive league on the planet and if he goes to Spain or Italy hopefully he will see his injuries a thing of the past and return to the player we al knew he is capable of.
Wont mind him going to EPL on loan this season with a compulsory option to buy in june.
Teams like west ham, Stoke, Crystal Palace might suit him.
Besides, it would also benefit us if he can score few goals against and help them nick points from our rivals.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Yes I would certainly like to see him move abroad.... forget playing for the likes of Moyes and even Soton. Go to Inter, nice city and slower paced. If that Luis Alberto and Lucas fella can make something out of themselves, I am sure this fella will be a hit there.
Suso made the biggest name of our outcasts over there, it's a fine reserve league for players that's not good enough for Premier League anymore or in the young lads cases not yet good enough. Ironic as it used to be the other way around 20 years ago.

Can't fathom why Emre Can want to go to that ghost league with half empty stadions, phycotic wanna-be-made-men-fans that think they run the club and motivate the players through intimidation and violent threats like mobsters. Corrupt Referees and racist chants in the stands And they wonder why their league turned to shit.

Dave-D

So Sturridge it seems according to sky sports has two option, stay as a squad player at Liverpool or go to Inter as his preferred choice of Sevilla ain’t materialised.
I think he’d do well in Italy where his lost yard of pace won’t cause him anywhere near as much problems as the EPL but what I don’t understand is why wouldn’t he want to go there. Great city with all you could want, better weather which may help his body from breaking down as much and playing for a team like Inter Milan ain’t to be sniffed at either.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
So Sturridge it seems according to sky sports has two option, stay as a squad player at Liverpool or go to Inter as his preferred choice of Sevilla ain’t materialised.
I think he’d do well in Italy where his lost yard of pace won’t cause him anywhere near as much problems as the EPL but what I don’t understand is why wouldn’t he want to go there. Great city with all you could want, better weather which may help his body from breaking down as much and playing for a team like Inter Milan ain’t to be sniffed at either.
Style of play is not nearly as favourable to Sturridge in Italy as it is in Spain. Italian defenders can be right bastards about preventing that first step move, whereas in Spain he would get more protection from referees than he has ever had in his life.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
He needs to go. He's been wonderful for Liverpool when he was fit. But it's clear that he no longer suits liverpool and their style of play.

I wouldn't begrudge him a chance at any club. Even the Bitters. I think Liverpool will need to drag this on till the deadline day. Some Transfer activity with the other clubs might well mean more clubs wanting to get him as a squad cover at the very least.

And 50 odd goals in 100 odd appearances means that it's a sizable transfer fee.

MikeOscar

Klopp Klopp
Really don't understand this move. As much as I think Sturridge has no long term future here, he was still involved in six goals in the first half of the season, which is five more than Ings and Solanke combined. After already letting Coutinho go, the idea of letting another attacking player go (instead of reinforcing) smacks to me like madness and cost cutting. I'm fine with Sturridge leaving in the summer (or last summer and keeping Origi), but it makes no sense to let him go in this window.

Steve_LFC

Really don't understand this move. As much as I think Sturridge has no long term future here, he was still involved in six goals in the first half of the season, which is five more than Ings and Solanke combined. After already letting Coutinho go, the idea of letting another attacking player go (instead of reinforcing) smacks to me like madness and cost cutting. I'm fine with Sturridge leaving in the summer (or last summer and keeping Origi), but it makes no sense to let him go in this window.
While i agree with your points. There is also the Sturridge's pov. If this wasn't a world cup yr i think he stays. But it is really his last chance and he doesnt want any regrets... Also he knows he is not Klopps type of player and is sometimes an after thought in team. So let him go.

The problem is that we are doing a poor to non existent job of replacing the lost personnel in Attack. The ground work should of been done to be prepared for these scenarios. And not just hoping and waiting for teams to give us a discount on their best players.

The least we could do is consider recalling Origi now if Sturridge is to go. Origi can cover CF and wing. Better than nothing. Should Firmino get hurt...We are F........ked

lightdrizzle

TIA Reserve Team
While i agree with your points. There is also the Sturridge's pov. If this wasn't a world cup yr i think he stays. But it is really his last chance and he doesnt want any regrets... Also he knows he is not Klopps type of player and is sometimes an after thought in team. So let him go.

The problem is that we are doing a poor to non existent job of replacing the lost personnel in Attack. The ground work should of been done to be prepared for these scenarios. And not just hoping and waiting for teams to give us a discount on their best players.

The least we could do is consider recalling Origi now if Sturridge is to go. Origi can cover CF and wing. Better than nothing. Should Firmino get hurt...We are F........ked
I agree about the ground work, should have been done, were not just talking about possible scenarios, but probable scenarios in both Coutinho & Sturridge cases

No way we should be losing both these players in the window without bringing in a replacement attacking option, but have to say not sure bringing Origi back from his loan is the answer.

Limiescouse

I agree about the ground work, should have been done
I find it baffling you assume it hasnt. I just really dont understand this idea that for a team of men whose faces we never see who work exclusively in the background we expect to know what they are up to. It is one thing to believe that we should not have sold under any circumstance unless we already had a replacement locked down. I do not agree given the specifics of this situation, but I get it. However, it is another thing entirely to believe that the team has not been doing their job because you havent seen evidence of it.

lightdrizzle

TIA Reserve Team
I find it baffling you assume it hasnt. I just really dont understand this idea that for a team of men whose faces we never see who work exclusively in the background we expect to know what they are up to. It is one thing to believe that we should not have sold under any circumstance unless we already had a replacement locked down. I do not agree given the specifics of this situation, but I get it. However, it is another thing entirely to believe that the team has not been doing their job because you havent seen evidence of it.
I should have been clearer, by ground work, i mean a deal should have been in place to bring in a replacement if we lose a crucial member of the team, I have no doubt that work is being done constantly behind the scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.