Danny Ings (FW) to Crystal Palace, Newcastle

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
Not really. The inflated price thing goes both ways. We justified the money spent on some of the lads we've brought in by saying "It's not 2016 any more, the market has changed." If £40m is the new starting price for a good player, then £20m isn't outrageous for a decent player like Ings.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Not really. The inflated price thing goes both ways. We justified the money spent on some of the lads we've brought in by saying "It's not 2016 any more, the market has changed." If £40m is the new starting price for a good player, then £20m isn't outrageous for a decent player like Ings.
The lad has hardly played any football for three years, and he has already had two serious knee injuries. And everyone knows we’re looking to move him on.

He definitely be worth twenty without the history, but if I were a fan of one of the lower half club I’d be raising an eyebrow at paying £20m for him.

Kopstar

★★★★★
There must be some get out in that. I imagine Saints wants to check that he can make it through the season without breaking down.
He's signed a four year contract with them to run from 1 July 2019. However, I'm sure it will be dependent on fitness at the very least.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Have to waitand see I guess but the clubs official statement seems cut and dry.
If there is no clause in it for Soton to walk away if the player aren’t up for it, then we should start looking to do this sort of deals more often.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Thanks Saints. Sorry but you lot are going down. £40m on Carrillo and Ings. I'd expect a bit more imagination from a so called "modern club" with ambition.

Livvy

Alles wird gut
Klopp's tribute to Ings: 'We will miss him'

Jürgen Klopp has paid a heartfelt tribute to Danny Ings after it was confirmed the striker will leave Liverpool to join Southampton.

The striker will initially move to St Mary’s on a season-long loan before the transfer is made permanent on July 1, 2019.
It brings a three-year spell at Anfield to an end following a switch from Burnley, during which time Ings was forced to battle back to fitness from two serious knee injuries which restricted him to just 25 appearances and four goals.

Klopp admits it is with a heavy heart he granted the popular 26-year-old the opportunity to leave the Reds, telling Liverpoolfc.com: “It is a very strange feeling saying goodbye to Danny. The biggest emotion is how much we will miss him.

“He is such an outstanding boy. Honestly, if you could bottle character and spirit, his would sell worldwide - he is so incredibly positive and full of energy. But we won’t just miss his character because he is a footballer who has all the tools.
“What is clear is that in his time here he had zero luck really, certainly in my time. Before joining I tried to watch as many games on tape as I could from the season so far and Danny Ings stood out as someone I was really looking forward to coaching.
“We all know his story and the bad luck he has had since then.

“It’s why the other emotion is that of being pleased for Danny that he has such a good move and his future is now very bright.
“When he said to us he thinks this is the window it might be best to look elsewhere, for the sake of his career and playing more regular football, it was clear early on that Southampton has great appeal to him personally. It’s his home, his family is there, it’s his boyhood club. They have a great manager and I think the supporters and him will feed off each other’s passion and energy.
“So we say farewell to a friend, but for Danny I know the best chapters in his personal story are still to be written. He is as fit now as at any point of his career I would bet and he just requires the opportunity.

“He has that opportunity and on behalf of his Liverpool family we say good luck Danny and we will miss you.”

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/311250-jurgen-klopp-danny-ings-liverpool

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd

Jürgen Klopp has paid a heartfelt tribute to Danny Ings after it was confirmed the striker will leave Liverpool to join Southampton.

The striker will initially move to St Mary’s on a season-long loan before the transfer is made permanent on July 1, 2019.
It brings a three-year spell at Anfield to an end following a switch from Burnley, during which time Ings was forced to battle back to fitness from two serious knee injuries which restricted him to just 25 appearances and four goals.

Klopp admits it is with a heavy heart he granted the popular 26-year-old the opportunity to leave the Reds, telling Liverpoolfc.com: “It is a very strange feeling saying goodbye to Danny. The biggest emotion is how much we will miss him.

“He is such an outstanding boy. Honestly, if you could bottle character and spirit, his would sell worldwide - he is so incredibly positive and full of energy. But we won’t just miss his character because he is a footballer who has all the tools.
“What is clear is that in his time here he had zero luck really, certainly in my time. Before joining I tried to watch as many games on tape as I could from the season so far and Danny Ings stood out as someone I was really looking forward to coaching.

“It’s why the other emotion is that of being pleased for Danny that he has such a good move and his future is now very bright.
“When he said to us he thinks this is the window it might be best to look elsewhere, for the sake of his career and playing more regular football, it was clear early on that Southampton has great appeal to him personally. It’s his home, his family is there, it’s his boyhood club. They have a great manager and I think the supporters and him will feed off each other’s passion and energy.
“So we say farewell to a friend, but for Danny I know the best chapters in his personal story are still to be written. He is as fit now as at any point of his career I would bet and he just requires the opportunity.

“He has that opportunity and on behalf of his Liverpool family we say good luck Danny and we will miss you.”

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/311250-jurgen-klopp-danny-ings-liverpool

Very well said Jürgen. This really is a case of mixed emotions for me as an LFC supporter. On one hand I am gutted to see the lad leave before he had chance to show what he could do, for no other reason than incredible personal bad luck, on the other I couldn’t be happier for him, especially as this is his home town club and he still gets to play in the EPL. But what is most important after all that Danny has experienced in recent seasons is what is best for the lad himself - he deserves nothing less. So on behalf of the Fester family, I wish him all that is good in a footballer’s life - success, health, fitness and form, a long career and most of all happiness.

Danny Ings, YNWA!

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers

nicely said. all the best danny.

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
I forgot that Danny's a Hampshire boy, he was born just up the way from here. Nice for him to be at a club he has some affection for, Palace didn't feel like the right move really.

Maria

Klopp's tribute is so fitting for Danny. Klopp was very reluctant to let him go.
He will be sorely missed, not just by the manager but his team mates too.

He was such a nice guy too. I wish him well at his new club and so hope he gets his career back on track. So, happy that he is at his home club, but a bit sad, he could not show his true talent at LFC due to his bad luck with injuries.

Best of luck Danny Ings.

YNWA

OLDIE

TIA New Signing
In my view Danny Ings was arguably the unluckiest player to play for the club since .............. well I can't think of anyone so unlucky. Lucas perhaps?

The player I often liken him to is Michael Robinson. A player that was much better than he believed, was much more valuable to the team and club than he could have ever have dreamed.

Robinson said a few times that he was the luckiest player in the league, because he was playing with Dalglish et al. Ings played initially as though he felt likewise.

Ings was/is an inspiration to those that have endured serious setback and then again further, more serious setbacks.

He fought against all odds and has earned the right to play his football at the highest level and I for one applaud the Club for helping him achieve a move that will enhance his playing career.

Danny Ings was not lucky to play for our club, we were lucky to have someone at our club like Danny Ings.

Good Luck Danny, I hope you knock in 20+ this season - You will always be welcome at Anfield.

Neukolln

Absolute class act on and off the pitch. Very bittersweet that it didn't happen for him here but I am excited for him to get a proper chance to resurrect his career. I will miss him.

Question for the board I didn't see this answered with a quick scan of the last page...typically loaned players may not play against their parent club, but with this being a 'Lone to Permanent' will he thus be allowed to take the pitch vs Liverpool?

JMac8

I’m not sure that’s fully true. There’s plenty of good players going for less than 40m. Even in this crazy bubble, 20m is a crazy price for someone who’s played 8 games in 3 years and was never more than decent/potential before that.

Anyways, seemed to have a great spirit and those are lovely words from Klopp so good outcome all round.

Except...I don’t really understand the deal. What’s the point in a year loan that becomes permenant?

Salahmi

Good luck at your new club Danny, it's nice to get some money back from Southampton after all that we've sent their way, once it's been made permanent next summer. On the plus side we won't have to face him since he's on loan this season.

Kopstar

★★★★★
Absolute class act on and off the pitch. Very bittersweet that it didn't happen for him here but I am excited for him to get a proper chance to resurrect his career. I will miss him.

Question for the board I didn't see this answered with a quick scan of the last page...typically loaned players may not play against their parent club, but with this being a 'Lone to Permanent' will he thus be allowed to take the pitch vs Liverpool?
No, won't be able to play against us.

SBYM

I'm just living the dream
Quality words from our mgr, and also from Lallana, for a quality bloke.

Seems pretty clear to me this will weaken us somewhat off the pitch...I guess we're just lucky we have quite a few other solid characters in the dressing room.

YNWA Danny, you're welcome at Anfield any time.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Glad to see the back of him!

Nah just joking. It's probably the right choice for everyone though. Think without the injuries he'd have been a great squad player for us, but he needs this move now to reignite his career

Good luck Danny, you deserve it.

I think the loan to buy is just a way to delay the costs hitting the books in full. This is what PSG did for Mbappe so they would reduce their FFP risk. Not sure Southampton is in FFP risk but it still could be more of an accounting gimmick than anything and Liverpool may be in a situation receiving these amount of funds later is no big deal.

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
I think the loan to buy is just a way to delay the costs hitting the books in full. This is what PSG did for Mbappe so they would reduce their FFP risk. Not sure Southampton is in FFP risk but it still could be more of an accounting gimmick than anything and Liverpool may be in a situation receiving these amount of funds later is no big deal.
Or his injury record makes it a massive financial gamble for a club of their size and it allows them to try before they buy, as it were.