Danny Ings (FW) to Crystal Palace, Newcastle

Lynch04

TIA New Signing
I know Klopp is a respectful human being and mostly speaks about the fellow man and woman in good terms. But i think its a testament to Ings that Klopps comments came across more personsk and spoke very much from the heart.
I respect him an awful lot, iv had 2/3 cruciate operations and although i am no sportsman, they are tough injuries to come back from. His effort is there for all to see, but what i admire most is that this was mostly his decision. He could have stayed at one of the most exciting projects in current football, with European football and World Class footballers, however, he has the desire and respect for himself that he wanted regular first team football.
I personally wish him all the best and hope he has a very successful career (as long as its not our expense lol).

All the best Danny!!

RedSeven

On the one road
Or his injury record makes it a massive financial gamble for a club of their size and it allows them to try before they buy, as it were.

i get that but if he has an unrelated long term injury when with them can they then just pull out of a deal leaving us in the lurch

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
i get that but if he has an unrelated long term injury when with them can they then just pull out of a deal leaving us in the lurch
It depends on the exact clauses that allow them to pull out of the permanent aspect of the deal, but I'd be amazed if fitness wasn't involved in them somehow. So, yes, probably.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
I think you've answered your own question. We wanted to sell, but given the injury history, Southampton didn't feel he was worth the asking price. This way, they basically get to test drive him for a season, and make sure the injury concerns are in the past, and if everything is fine then we get the £20m asking price. Otherwise, I expect Southampton wanted a cut price deal to offset those worries.

It's a similar situation with us and Fekir. I'd imagine we might have tried something with Lyon like this. Actually, thinking about it, I wonder if this is the restructuring we asked for - loan for a year for £X, and then the balance paid when the year is up and we're sure the knee is hunky dory.

Kopstar

★★★★★
I think you've answered your own question. We wanted to sell, but given the injury history, Southampton didn't feel he was worth the asking price. This way, they basically get to test drive him for a season, and make sure the injury concerns are in the past, and if everything is fine then we get the £20m asking price. Otherwise, I expect Southampton wanted a cut price deal to offset those worries.

It's a similar situation with us and Fekir. I'd imagine we might have tried something with Lyon like this. Actually, thinking about it, I wonder if this is the restructuring we asked for - loan for a year for £X, and then the balance paid when the year is up and we're sure the knee is hunky dory.
You mean something like this mate?

1. Fekir should sign an extension with Lyon
2. Lyon should loan him to us for a year, loan fee say £10m
3. Terms of the loan should include obligation to buy if Fekir features in x number of games or for x number of minutes. Agreed fee of £43m (or whatever the previously agreed fee was less the loan fee)
4. Lyon insures, we pay premium
5. We pay all Fekir's wages

Just hypothesising. If the knee caused us to pull back, any deal will need to be incredibly attractive to us to even tempt us back in.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Just a guess as to the reason for the loan with tied in sale as opposed to flat out sale. They had to have a document put in by 5 to confirm there was a loan going through then they had till 7 to complete and register all other paperwork. Sounds like, despite having all summer, they nearly ran out of time. If they didn't have time to complete the sale by 5 maybe it was quicker to agree that some form of loan could definitely go ahead (as everybody else had ran out of time for a flat out purchase too) and submit that registration by 5? Then they had 2 hours to flesh out the agreement, create the paperwork and send it all through in time for 7? Don't know how viable that is. Just sounds like this one only just beat the clock. If they'd sent the registration that a sale had been agreed at 5 before the fine detail had been agreed it would have put both clubs in a tricky situation to agree the details and submit finished paperwork by 7 wouldn't it? What if we hadn't been able to both agree on the 18 million plus 2 variables? Would the sale have still gone through or completely collapsed? With the loan if we hadn't been able to agree all details on obligatory purchase then at least the loan side of things could have still stood as a half way fix. And we could have negotiated the sale during the season whilst he was playing there on loan.

Last edited:
In my view Danny Ings was arguably the unluckiest player to play for the club since .............. well I can't think of anyone so unlucky. Lucas perhaps?
Comparable in some ways to Rickie Lambert - was unlucky that he came in when that stupid twat was manger here.
And in some ways to Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger and Daniel Sturridge.

In short, I think we should avoid signing any more Danny/Daniel. Are all of them injury prone?
Danny Ings/Daniel Agger/Daniel Sturridge.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
They've generally been decent but at todays prices a fit danny ings at 20m is a steal i think.If they have him for a year with no injury/fitness issues then that is what he'll be,a steal.
That's the thing, it is a no brainer for Southampton to take this deal since risk isn't all that great. There is no way a club would take a player on loan and outright purchase the following season without inserting some clause in it, and if fitness level which can be proven that was from his past and the loan can be called off, Southampton had squeezed our arm.

I am pretty sure the likes of Markovic and Origi will be going to go through the same thing in the next couple of weeks. But would it be wiser if we were to put a price tag of £15m to get them sold with an clause of sell on profit share? I think so.... just take a look at City sold 2 players which I bet none of us have even heard of - Angus Gunn to Soton for £10m and Pablo Maffeo for £8.5m to Stuttgart. There is a market for fringe players, just needed to package it well I think.

I reckon before the sale goes through in a year, there will be another medical, which gives Saints the out they need.

Hopefully not going to be an issue for Danny, wish him all the best. One of my favourite players despite barely playing for us! #gutsy

Kopstar

★★★★★
To me this smacks of a permanent deal that was converted into a loan on the last day due to not having enough time to complete a full medical. That may have been deliberate on Southampton's part because all along they probably wanted a 'try before you buy' arrangement which would obviously not have been our preference.

But you don't sort things like £18m, £2m add-ons, 20% sell-on fee and a four-year contract for the player at the last moment. To me those details (perhaps the contract for Danny was 5 years, now reduced to 4 given the year's loan) have been agreed at least for a few days. With the clock ticking down and the lack of time to do a full medical, it looks like Southampton managed to put us in a position where we had little choice but to accept a year's loan initially with this 'obligation' to purchase Ings for the fee agreed next year.

That obligation would certainly be conditional upon Ings passing a full medical (probably conducted by someone nominated by the President of the Royal College of Surgeons) as well as Southampton's continued status as a Premier League club (the player contract similarly subject to those conditions alongside the transfer agreement). Whether it is also subject to other conditions is arguable. If I get to know how the arrangement came about and what the details are, I'll let you know, but for now the above is what I think is most likely.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Very much looks like a combination of 'try before you buy' and pushing the cost back one year for financial regulations.
Have Southampton bought anyone else? They have sold several players already so I would be surprised if financial regs have kicked in with this one - as wouldn't we be more likely to need the money sooner?

redfanman

TIA Regular
To me this smacks of a permanent deal that was converted into a loan on the last day due to not having enough time to complete a full medical. That may have been deliberate on Southampton's part because all along they probably wanted a 'try before you buy' arrangement which would obviously not have been our preference.

But you don't sort things like £18m, £2m add-ons, 20% sell-on fee and a four-year contract for the player at the last moment. To me those details (perhaps the contract for Danny was 5 years, now reduced to 4 given the year's loan) have been agreed at least for a few days. With the clock ticking down and the lack of time to do a full medical, it looks like Southampton managed to put us in a position where we had little choice but to accept a year's loan initially with this 'obligation' to purchase Ings for the fee agreed next year.

That obligation would certainly be conditional upon Ings passing a full medical (probably conducted by someone nominated by the President of the Royal College of Surgeons) as well as Southampton's continued status as a Premier League club (the player contract similarly subject to those conditions alongside the transfer agreement). Whether it is also subject to other conditions is arguable. If I get to know how the arrangement came about and what the details are, I'll let you know, but for now the above is what I think is most likely.
That sounds the most likely scenario. Saints playing silly buggers.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Have Southampton bought anyone else? They have sold several players already so I would be surprised if financial regs have kicked in with this one - as wouldn't we be more likely to need the money sooner?
They cannot be at any kind of cap, given the VvD purchase, but yes, they have brought in four other players - total just above 55M apparently. But as Kopstar suggests, quite possible this deal doesn't go through if Southampton are relegated, so they have a 20M striker trying to keep them up as something of a bonus.

Keeno

TIA New Signing
If he has an unbelievable season scoring 30 goals and staying injury free, are we able to cancel the sale and get him back after the year loan?

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
They have spent, not masses but stuff like £18m on a CB (which is their new record deal I think?) and a couple of others.

Incognito

The Normal One
In short, I think we should avoid signing any more Danny/Daniel. Are all of them injury prone?
Danny Ings/Daniel Agger/Daniel Sturridge.
Dani Pacheco? I remember having high hopes from that lad. Just a had quick check on google, doesn't seem to be lighting up even in Getafe as well by look from the stats.

Not sure if he was injury prone though, which would strengthen your case even further! :D

El Dorado

Shakin' and stirred
I hope the injury woes are behind him and he has a good season. Poachers are by nature optimists, and he always seemed a cheerful fellow.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
The saints fans being salty over the price. Hope there's a relegation clause. He needs it for protection too. Go on and get 15+ goals