Danny Ward (GK) - Leicester City

Status
Not open for further replies.

gr_sounder

Best of luck to you Danny Ward!

I've always thought he was a good solid keeper, but never seemed to be one that would have made it here. When the opportunity came to bring in Alisson, it was either be a #2 for the rest of his career, or move along, and apparently Danny decided he wanted to move. This is the way of the world in football for keepers where you can only play 1 at a time.

Good for him, and I hope he enjoys it at Leicester!

Rozes99

Think that was the shortest stint at being a Liverpool first choice keeper I can remember! Good luck Danny!

coldbeatle89

I keep going back to Melissa Reddy's piece a couple months ago about the Coutinho transfer saga in regards to Karius- basically, Klopp loves his players and feels for them, and that's why I thought a sale of Ward was most likely instead of having him as #2 behind Alisson and Karius loaned out. Ward deserves first team opportunities and he was definitely not about to get that here. And I bet Klopp wants to keep an eye on Karius's mental state after everything that has happened to him- he just seems like that type of guy from reading about him.

I could be totally wrong and it wouldn't surprise me- but that's just how it seems to me.

Dhoff3

TIA Squad Member
10 Million sounds good. He's too good to be a backup at LFC it seems but Allison is obviously the long term future here. Wish him the best. Karius at this point won't fetch a fee, so makes sense to get a bit of a return for Migs and Ward and keep him as backup. Here comes the selling...feel like one more big one comes in before the window shuts.

Limiescouse

How can you know that?
I can see us regretting not giving Ward a chance. If he turns out to be any good it would be very damning of our goalkeeper set up.
Btw I really regret the way the club has treated Ward. I think it was all about him being home grown. Having said that Ward didn't do anything to prevent that treatment.

We'll see. I am pleased for Ward though, if this deal goes through, and hope he grows a pair and shows some ambition in the future
If Alisson works out, no matter what Ward ends up doing it wont really reflect poorly on us. You can only play one goalie at a time, no matter how good your number 2 is.

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
Good luck to Danny Ward, I hope the move works out for him.
Not so sure about Karius staying as number 2.
It won’t do him any good sitting on the bench during away matches, where he will be subjected to all sorts of abuse. They won’t let him forget the Champions League final.
I’m currently away on holiday, surrounded by Spurs and Arsenal fans and they won’t fuckin shut up about Karius. God knows what it will be like for him when the season starts.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Ten millions isn't much in today's player market (can't believe I'm typing this, back in 2004, we brought Xabi Alonso in as our major transfer for that kind of money). Then again, he hasn't played many senior games for us, so it's probably fair play. That being said, Leicester are possibly about to make one hell of a deal...

Anyway, all the best of luck Danny.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ten millions isn't much in today's player market. Then again, he hasn't played many senior games for us, so it's probably fair play. That being said, Leicester are possibly about to make one hell of a deal...

Its said that LCFC want £50m for Schmichael - if thats the case Alisson is a £67m bargain.

pottymonster

I am one with the Force, the Force is with me.
Best of luck to him. I was wanting him as number 1 given our other options, but with the imperial ding arrival of Allison there's no need for that.

Karius will stay as number 2 out of necessity: there's no team in a top division anywhere that would take him. It's gonna be a few years as backup before we can move him out I think.

If Alisson works out, no matter what Ward ends up doing it wont really reflect poorly on us. You can only play one goalie at a time, no matter how good your number 2 is.
Ward must be fucking crap so why did we keep him?
If Alisson works out? That is the big question isn't it. If our track record is anything to go by that is far far from sure.

YeGra

Ten millions isn't much in today's player market (can't believe I'm typing this, back in 2004, we brought Xabi Alonso in as our major transfer for that kind of money). Then again, he hasn't played many senior games for us, so it's probably fair play. That being said, Leicester are possibly about to make one hell of a deal...

The times are reporting Ward will act as competition for Schmeichel rather than replace him. Which makes sense. Leicester will have the ambition of going for a Europa league spot so can't see them picking a keeper who's third choice with us as their number 1.

10 mil seems quite reasonable for a second choice keeper at a mid table club.

Nikola

Mediocre outcome is the probable outcome.
Admin
He'll do well at Leicester if he's given the chance to play regularly. Not at Schmeichel's level but a similar type of goalie, in my opinion - your run-of-the-mill, solid but unspectacular kind. I hope Liverpool have inserted some kind of sell-on clause here, just in case. It would be great if Mignolet could be sold, too, maybe Liverpool could get a few more bobs for him, given his experience. For what it's worth, I think that Karius is a better fit for Klopp's brand of football, it's just a small matter of restoring his confidence that's probably non-existent at this point.

Danny Ward being linked with a move to Leicester. Rumoured fee of between £10m and £12m

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...iverpool-goalkeeper-danny-ward-talks-14927699

Would be a good move for him and a useful fee for the club. Conflicting reports as to whether he's a replacement or competition for Schmeichel. I suspect it would be as his replacement but Leicester don't want to say that whilst clubs are sniffing around Schmeichel.
I'm happy for Ward but selfishly Liverpool has been my team since 1969 and it will remain my team until I take my last breath and for that reason I would rather have him as our number 2 than Karius any day.

I think it is posturing, Schmeichel will go (Chelsea, Roma, elsewhere). Some reports of fee are £12.5 mil (maybe 10 min with incentives). For a 25 year old (same age as Alisson and Karius) without a year of big league goal keeping I think good business. I think LC think Ward is likely KS equal but they can pocket $ for other moves and get younger.

So IMO good value to Liverpool and all the best to Ward. Would have preferred him as the #2--but he deserves a chance to start. I hope Karius can get out of the EPL (loan or sale) for his sake, ideally if a Bundeliga has a loan interest. If he does well he can come back to stay at Liverpool as the #2 or his value should be up for a permanent transfer. I'd prefer to see Migs stay as the back-up and for injury depth (maybe assure him all domestic cups games prior to seminfinals)--you know what you get, but if he is insistent, as long as he fetches >£10 mil, good luck to him.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
As for Ward and Leicester, I'd be a bit surprised if they counted on him being number 1 straight away (not dismissing him that he couldn't do it if given the chance). Feel they might still possibly sign another GK option, as when Schmeichel leaves, they will be down to only 1 senior keeper in Jakupovic. Think they might bring another one in and see who's better between Ward and him. For Ward, certainly an easier path towards getting game time in this league.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
As for Ward and Leicester, I'd be a bit surprised if they counted on him being number 1 straight away (not dismissing him that he couldn't do it if given the chance). Feel they might still possibly sign another GK option, as when Schmeichel leaves, they will be down to only 1 senior keeper in Jakupovic. Think they might bring another one in and see who's better between Ward and him. For Ward, certainly an easier path towards getting game time in this league.

Ward has proved himself in Scottish prem and the Championship so not totally unproven. I think he will end up being Leicesters number one and doing o.k.

dockers_strike

We got a good deal when selling Ward. £12m including add ons plus a 20% sell on clause. That makes Alisson around £43m net.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Didnt Jakupovic play well for them last season? may be he is their new number 1 and Danny is expected to fight him for it.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Didnt Jakupovic play well for them last season? may be he is their new number 1 and Danny is expected to fight him for it.
I don't think he played much. Jakupovic played well for Hull who then got relegated and Leicester took him as 3rd option. Hamer left this summer and Schmeichel might too. So I guess if they go for Ward, it doesn't close the possibility of adding another one to the mix (don't know if they have a young talent or something, I'm talking about their senior keepers).

But good luck to Danny, hope he makes it as we also have that 20% clause. :well done:

lfc.8

Good business £12.5m plus 20% sell-on clause. The money all adds up, but still there's a few more fringe players which need to be sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.