• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Danny Wilson to Bristol City (on loan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
Bristol City set to sign Liverpool defender Danny Wilson on loan

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Bristol City were today closing in on highly-rated Liverpool defender Danny Wilson.

In the market for a commanding centre-back, Robins manager Derek McInnes was hoping to land the 20-year-old Scottish international on a short-term deal before the 5pm deadline for loan signings.

Wilson is in Bristol for talks and, if a deal can be concluded in time, he will travel north with City's first team squad for Saturday's npower Championship clash with Middlesbrough.

Although Liverpool paid out an intial £2m to bring Wilson from Glasgow Rangers to Anfield in 2010, the Livingstone-born defender has struggled to make an impact, making just eight first-team appearances for the Reds.

Behind Daniel Agger, Martin Skrtel, Jamie Carragher, Sebastian Coates and Andre Wisdom in the Liverpool pecking order, Wilson has not played a competitive senior game since Brendan Rodgers took over as manager in the summer.

But he has featured regularly for Liverpool's unbeaten Under-21 side this season and is ready to go straight into City's team if selected.

Wilson came through the youth ranks at Rangers and made his professional debut in a League Cup tie against Dundee in October 2009. He made 26 first team appearances in all for the Ibrox club and was named Scottish PFA Young Player of the Year in 2010.

He joined Liverpool in July 2010, signing a three-year deal, and made his senior debut in a League Cup tie against Northampton Town two months later.

Wilson also featured in a Europa League clash with Sparta Prague and made his Premier League debut in a 3-1 defeat at West Ham United in February 2011.

Unable to break into Liverpool's first team, he spent the second half of last season on loan at Blackpool, making 10 appearances and helping the Seasiders make the Championship play-off final.

He represented Scotland at under-19 and under-21 levels and was promoted to the senior squad by Craig Levein, making his full debut in a 3-0 friendly victory over Faroe Islands in November 2010.

http://www.thisisbri...tail/story.html

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Will do him the world of good, hope he comes back eventually cos the lad is class. Also, there is talk in the Guardian of Flanagan going out on loan.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I think that could be exactly what he needs.

I actually rate Wilson I just think he needs to care a bit more and get a chance at a run of senior games (which I dont want to happen here).

He cant be expected to learn much from youth football and not sure how motivated you can get over the under 21 league if you have played in the Champions League, competed for titles in Scotland and also been capped by the senior Scotland side.

Not making excuses though Wisdom has proven what can happen if you put the effort in but Wilson just doesnt seem to put effort in despite having a decent amount of skill.

Wasnt long ago I was thinking he may take 4th choice CB off the greek but he never kicked on.

RedSeven

On the one road
He never really got the chance to kick on.He played leftback as much as centreback in the few games he has featured for us.He needs to play regular football in a senior side,if he takes this opportunity and gets regular games we should be able to judge his potential by the end of the season.He is still young so has plenty of time to improve so i wouldn't write him off,but he will need to take full advantage of this chance he is been given and make sure he comes back to us the better for it.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Be good to get a view on whether he's the future or not, his contract expires this year (I think) - need to assess whether he's a keeper or not.

Anthony

I think Danny is a good lad and when I have seen him play he gives his all. Sadly though I don't see the end product ever becoming a Liverpool regular and see him as 1 of those players that just may not be good enough for us. I know he is young, but he just doesn't seem like he has the tools to truly make it for us.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
He needs to get some competitive football under his belt to either stick him in the shop window, or my prefernce would be to give him the opporunity to prove to the gaffer his worth.

He's got the potential to be a decent player for us but the fact that he's been jumped by Wisdom and has Coates in front of him too means its really time for him to prove his worth

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
Wilson seals loan move

22nd Nov 2012

Liverpool have confirmed Danny Wilson has joined Bristol City on an emergency loan.

The Scotland defender, who has made nine first-team appearances for the Reds since moving to Anfield from Rangers in 2010, will spend a two-month spell at Ashton Gate.

City currently sit 23rd in the Championship.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/wilson-seals-loan-move?

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
That's what he needs right now: regular playing time. Good luck Danny!

Status
Not open for further replies.