• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Dejan Lovren (CB) to AC Milan, Roma

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Today the Echo is reporting that we've set a target price for Lovren amid interest from Serie A - and it's a pretty low one (20m euros inclusive of add-ons), so it feels like the club is open to him leaving.

While I'm not a huge Lovren fan, with the transfer window closed I can't help but think that would be a surprising move. While I'm satisfied with a first-choice pairing and backup of VVD, Gomez and Matip, I feel like Phillips and Sepp VDB are still a way off being ready to step up.

Or maybe we just have that much confidence in Hoever at CB?

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Today the Echo is reporting that we've set a target price for Lovren amid interest from Serie A - and it's a pretty low one (20m euros inclusive of add-ons), so it feels like the club is open to him leaving.

While I'm not a huge Lovren fan, with the transfer window closed I can't help but think that would be a surprising move. While I'm satisfied with a first-choice pairing and backup of VVD, Gomez and Matip, I feel like Phillips and Sepp VDB are still a way off being ready to step up.

Or maybe we just have that much confidence in Hoever at CB?
Yeah, I think it's surprising. You'd think that the injury to Alisson might also make the club more reluctant to sell an experienced CB who at least knows what's expected of the defensive unit. Dunno about this one.

Zinedine Biscan

Yeah, I think it's surprising. You'd think that the injury to Alisson might also make the club more reluctant to sell an experienced CB who at least knows what's expected of the defensive unit. Dunno about this one.
It would certainly be ballsy, as unless I've missed it Matip has yet to sign a new contract, and we could potentially face going into next season with just two senior CBs needing to recruit at least one more and potentially two.

Dave-D

Is Lovren doing what Mignolet did and wants out but unfortunately for Liverpool the transfer window for the EPL has closed before the interest became concrete in Lovren. That’s the only real reason I can think for Liverpool being willing to let Lovren go.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Is this reliable from the Echo or they're just following stories from suspicious Italian sources?

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Would rather he stayed than left, although I am quite comfortable with our CBs if he were to go.

He must be into his last year of contract?

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
I wouldn't be surprised if this happens. There was a lot of rumble during the summer about Milan's interest in the player. It has probably more to do with what Lovren wants himself: the perspective of being fourth choice CB at LFC, or playing as a regular at Milan? Knowing Klopp, this deal will go through if the player has told him during the summer that he wants to go. In that case, bringing in Sepp was a proactive move, knowing that this would happen.

It's not a like-for-like move of course, but if Klopp and Edwards agree to this deal, they know that the lads who are here are already good enough to make do without Lovren. I trust them 100% on this.

Zinedine Biscan

Is this reliable from the Echo or they're just following stories from suspicious Italian sources?
Going by the way they say "The Echo understands" in referring to the price tag, it sounds like they've been informed by a contact at the club. As to how solid the interest from Milan or Roma is, who knows.

Would rather he stayed than left, although I am quite comfortable with our CBs if he were to go.

He must be into his last year of contract?
No, two years remaining.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
News been circling even before our transfer window closed. Vertonghen was not in the Spurs squad too, and he's on his last year in his contract. These Italian boys have options.

Limiescouse

I wouldn't be surprised if this happens. There was a lot of rumble during the summer about Milan's interest in the player. It has probably more to do with what Lovren wants himself: the perspective of being fourth choice CB at LFC, or playing as a regular at Milan? Knowing Klopp, this deal will go through if the player has told him during the summer that he wants to go. In that case, bringing in Sepp was a proactive move, knowing that this would happen.

It's not a like-for-like move of course, but if Klopp and Edwards agree to this deal, they know that the lads who are here are already good enough to make do without Lovren. I trust them 100% on this.
I think we are far more likely to see Fab at CB before see Sepp this season.

On another note, if there is anything to this it really drives home one of the central points that has been discussed RE signings this summer. Lovren is a player with an existing relationship with the manager, with the fans, and with the players. Yet the prospect of being 4th choice is, allegedly, not palatable to him. Yes, there are plenty of games to go around. Yes, top players tend to back themselves to succeed. Yes, CBs typically have less rotation than forwards or midfielders. However, it still points to the difficulty of bringing in a forward given the quality of the first choice options and the difficulty anyone will have in dislodging them.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
True, Klopp doesn't want an unhappy player and I want Lovren and Lallana out as they can't be trusted but the window is over for Liverpool, surely this is some wishful thinking/agent games from Italy?

Red over the water

He barely played last year and is down the pecking order at Liverpool, so it makes sense to me. If he were going to say, Leicester, to tide them over with their Maguire shaped hole, he would be worth £35M or something like that, maybe even a bit more. But in the world of football there are a couple of different price structures at work, so £20M or so to Italy is about right.

If we have a couple of injuries at the same time in one position, we could be a bit short. But then again, Lovren is the most likely central defender to be injured, so it might be tough to depend on him! So VVD, Gomez, Matip, Hoever, Sepp, Fabinho - who I agree, we’ll see before the kids in the Prem at this point, if needed at CB...

We should be OK. It’s another chunk of change to go towards the Mbappe fee...

Incognito

The Normal One
...But he's the best CB in the world! He himself said that :-(

I personally would not prefer him to leave, at least till Jan. Cannot be sure with injuries of Gomez and Matip. But again if Klopp/ club agrees to can't help it.

Maybe we will buy a Klavan/ Caulker type player in Jan, till one of the young lads can be trusted for 4th choice and work with what we have till Jan? Still wouldn't be ideal IMO.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Joyce: "Lovren recognises he’s fourth choice."

lol

He's come a long way since "I'm the world's #top5 CB" to this in less than a year.

Didn't expect this to be honest, but didn't think it was impossible either. Klopp playing on the fence with our squad depth this season. Fabinho will most probably act as 4th choice if we need it, like Fernandinho at City. As for the youngsters, we'll see how much we can count on them in such a crucial position.

Zinedine Biscan

Let him go now while we have all our options available, review the situation in January and see how we're doing, gives us a few months to weigh up the various available options.

It's not ideal in terms of losing a senior option, but it's Lovren we're talking about so I think I'm fine with it.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
According to serious sources, the asking price is £15m now, with Roma and Milan in the running. That's a paltry sum in today's market... I've never been the biggest fan of Lovren, but it's a bit of a joke to sell him at that price. He's worth more imo, with two years still left on his contract.

A few players gone this summer for a comparable amount:

Henry Onyekuru - Forward - Everton to Monaco - £12.5m
Nahitan Nández - Midfielder - Boca Juniors to Cagliari - £16.2m
Maximilian Philipp - Forward - Borussia Dortmund to Dynamo Moscow - £18.5m
Dennis Praet - Midfielder - Sampdoria to Leicester City - £18m
Darío Benedetto - Forward - Boca Juniors to Marseille - £14.7m
Ismaël Bennacer - Midfielder - Empoli to Milan - £14.4m
Júnior Firpo - Defender - Real Betis to Barcelona - £16.2m
Adam Webster - Defender - Bristol City to Brighton - £20m
Oli McBurnie - Forward - Swansea to Sheffield United - £18m

No offence to any of the above-mentioned players, but none of them has the status Lovren has in the game nowadays. I'd say that 20m is a minimum for the Croatian. Anything below that would be a poor return. If the club can't get at least 20m, keep him at the club for better squad depth.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
M

M
According to serious sources, the asking price is £15m now, with Roma and Milan in the running. That's a paltry sum in today's market... I've never been the biggest fan of Lovren, but it's a bit of a joke to sell him at that price. He's worth more imo, with two years still left on his contract.

A few players gone this summer for a comparable amount:

Henry Onyekuru - Forward - Everton to Monaco - £12.5m
Nahitan Nández - Midfielder - Boca Juniors to Cagliari - £16.2m
Maximilian Philipp - Forward - Borussia Dortmund to Dynamo Moscow - £18.5m
Dennis Praet - Midfielder - Sampdoria to Leicester City - £18m
Darío Benedetto - Forward - Boca Juniors to Marseille - £14.7m
Ismaël Bennacer - Midfielder - Empoli to Milan - £14.4m
Júnior Firpo - Defender - Real Betis to Barcelona - £16.2m
Adam Webster - Defender - Bristol City to Brighton - £20m
Oli McBurnie - Forward - Swansea to Sheffield United - £18m

No offence to any of the above-mentioned players, but none of them has the status Lovren has in the game nowadays. I'd say that 20m is a minimum for the Croatian. Anything below that would be a poor return. If the club can't get at least 20m, keep him at the club for better squad depth.
I would largely agree. I am probably more supportive of Lovren than a lot of our fan base. However, I do wonder whether there is a fitness issue here. Either way, it's going to certainly freak out fans who wanted a CB even with him staying.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
I still have no idea how we survived january with Lovren, Gomez and Matip + 2 U23 CBs out injured at the same time and VvD suspended for the first leg against Bayern.

So i can't understand how we are even thinking about selling another senior CB.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
I still have no idea how we survived january with Lovren, Gomez and Matip + 2 U23 CBs out injured at the same time and VvD suspended for the first leg against Bayern.

So i can't understand how we are even thinking about selling another senior CB.
Is that the game where we played Matip and Fabinho at CB and Bayern didn't manage a single shot on target?