• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Dejan Lovren (CB) to AC Milan, Roma

igor_piss_can

According to serious sources, the asking price is £15m now, with Roma and Milan in the running. That's a paltry sum in today's market... I've never been the biggest fan of Lovren, but it's a bit of a joke to sell him at that price. He's worth more imo, with two years still left on his contract.

A few players gone this summer for a comparable amount:

Henry Onyekuru - Forward - Everton to Monaco - £12.5m
Nahitan Nández - Midfielder - Boca Juniors to Cagliari - £16.2m
Maximilian Philipp - Forward - Borussia Dortmund to Dynamo Moscow - £18.5m
Dennis Praet - Midfielder - Sampdoria to Leicester City - £18m
Darío Benedetto - Forward - Boca Juniors to Marseille - £14.7m
Ismaël Bennacer - Midfielder - Empoli to Milan - £14.4m
Júnior Firpo - Defender - Real Betis to Barcelona - £16.2m
Adam Webster - Defender - Bristol City to Brighton - £20m
Oli McBurnie - Forward - Swansea to Sheffield United - £18m

No offence to any of the above-mentioned players, but none of them has the status Lovren has in the game nowadays. I'd say that 20m is a minimum for the Croatian. Anything below that would be a poor return. If the club can't get at least 20m, keep him at the club for better squad depth.
Think wages could be a reason for the fairly low transfer fee. Wouldn't be surprised if he was on 100k+, so the club are more interested in getting the deal over the line first & foremost so that they can save a potential few million on his salary. Still agree with you about the fee though, it's at least good £5-10M off what I'd consider his market value

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Think wages could be a reason for the fairly low transfer fee. Wouldn't be surprised if he was on 100k+, so the club are more interested in getting the deal over the first & foremost so that they can save a potential few million on his salary. Still agree with you about the fee though, it's at least good £5-10M off what I'd consider his market value
Yeah, he's definitely around the £100k mark, I believe.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Is that the game where we played Matip and Fabinho at CB and Bayern didn't manage a single shot on target?
Yes but that's not my point.
Don't think 3 senior (is Joe Gomez senior already?) CBs are enough for a season with +60 games. Especially with Matip and Gomez who don't have the best injury free record.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Yes but that's not my point.
Don't think 3 senior (is Joe Gomez senior already?) CBs are enough for a season with +60 games. Especially with Matip and Gomez who don't have the best injury free record.
It's stretched a bit thin, but we'll have the January window to make adjustments if we need to. I'm guessing this is mainly driven by Lovren, Klopp has demonstrated by now that he won't keep an unhappy player around the place and will grant them a move if they really want it.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
It's stretched a bit thin, but we'll have the January window to make adjustments if we need to. I'm guessing this is mainly driven by Lovren, Klopp has demonstrated by now that he won't keep an unhappy player around the place and will grant them a move if they really want it.
It could also be that Mo's told Klopp he's gotten tired of Degsy following him around all the time and is planning on getting a divorce. Don't want a disgruntled ex hanging around the place.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
We have at least 29 games until january and then maybe a new signing needs time to adapt.

GaryBarlow99

The new Premier League transfer window deadline shows once again what a load of bollocks it is. Stupid decision by the club if we get rid of Lovren. Should have told all of our players that if they don't leave by 9th August you have to stay as we can't get a replacement in.

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
I think this is a bit of two different things,Lovren believes he should be further up the pecking order so is a bit miffed at the thought of playing very little,whilst we think we don't need a £100k pw player going stale so giving him a chance respectfully to seek more chance of playing elsewhere,fair enough imo.

Foldy

The new Premier League transfer window deadline shows once again what a load of bollocks it is. Stupid decision by the club if we get rid of Lovren. Should have told all of our players that if they don't leave by 9th August you have to stay as we can't get a replacement in.
I hear you but realistically he's hoovering up a large salary for warming the bench.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
I have no problem with lovren. He’s been a good servent. His style doesn’t quite fit in anymore but if Maguire is worth £80m then lovren would have been worth £100m.
Can’t blame him for wanting first team football.

GaryBarlow99

I hear you but realistically he's hoovering up a large salary for warming the bench.
That's the clubs fault though. At the beginning of the summer all players should have been told where they stand and if they want to leave they can. If they don't get a move before 9th August they stay until we can replace them. If Matip and Gomez weren't injury prone I would probably be more positive about the move but I just don't see how it benefits us other than saving a bit of cash.

Edit - Gomez is back up right back as well so it could leave us short if we have a couple of injuries.

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
Said it before and I will say it again...

When dealing with Milan we should add 5M+ to the price for any player they want from us.

Simply because of the way they screwed us over with the try but never buy deals with Aquilani and Balotelli

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
We screwed ourselves. :-)

The fee for Balotelli wasn't even so big, but it was a terrible decision by us in the first place.

Milan have already signed a young CB from Brazil, so not sure if they go for another one in this window. So Roma it is, it seems.

Foldy

That's the clubs fault though. At the beginning of the summer all players should have been told where they stand and if they want to leave they can. If they don't get a move before 9th August they stay until we can replace them. If Matip and Gomez weren't injury prone I would probably be more positive about the move but I just don't see how it benefits us other than saving a bit of cash.

Edit - Gomez is back up right back as well so it could leave us short if we have a couple of injuries.
There were talks about Lovren leaving months ago, the interest has come from clubs who still have an open window. I guarantee that Klopp has already factored in that Lovren will not be a part of this squad before and during pre-season. I would be amazed if Klopp and Lovren haven't spoken about his pecking order in defence and now that Gomez is back and the likes of Hoever and even possibly van den Berg being within that list that Lovren would find it difficult to get game time. I think Lovren was in no doubt as to what his position was long ago.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I wonder how this plays for recruitment next summer. With Matip yet to sign a new contract, and the club recruitment team working 18 months + ahead of a window on targets, we have presumably already started looking at CBs coming in next year.

El Dorado

Shakin' and stirred
The other problem with selling Lovren is we're getting pretty thin at the position of scapegoat. First Moreno, then Migs, now Lovren? We're going to be missing those cute avatar critiques, I feel. Somehow needling Lallana might not be as fun. Could we reach a point where none of the supporters are willing to offer players rides to the airport?

Foldy

The other problem with selling Lovren is we're getting pretty thin at the position of scapegoat. First Moreno, then Migs, now Lovren? We're going to be missing those cute avatar critiques, I feel. Somehow needling Lallana might not be as fun. Could we reach a point where none of the supporters are willing to offer players rides to the airport?
That bastard Alisson! How dare he pick up an injury! ;-)

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
There's no fun in needling Lallana but that's not going to stop me. Useless bastard. I'd pick him up from the local strip club to take him to the airport.