• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Dejan Lovren (CB) to AC Milan, Roma

Gilb4444

Big wages off the bill and more chance for VDB to come into the squad having been bought this summer!

Dutch

Ad-free Member
I think this is a bit of two different things,Lovren believes he should be further up the pecking order so is a bit miffed at the thought of playing very little,whilst we think we don't need a £100k pw player going stale so giving him a chance respectfully to seek more chance of playing elsewhere,fair enough imo.
Be that as it may, Mo will be unhappy. :Firmino:

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Recycling a previous post on the matter, I am really torn. I actually consider myself a "fan" of Lovren but he is a maddening player. Seeing him live this Summer only confirmed it for me. He is an excellent defender for what's right in front of him but at times he shows a shockingly low football IQ, vision and awareness for situations. He gets suckered so easily - because he is so focused on what is right in front of him - and he leaves so many spaces open and gambles on situations that a player of his age and experience has seen a million times. Yet, he falls for the same things every time. As much as it pains me to say, I really do feel like he is always good for creating one potential calamity per match.

EDIT: I will always remember fondly how outstanding he was for Croatia in the World Cup run. He was unbelievable. Volim Hrvatsku!

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
Recycling a previous post on the matter, I am really torn. I actually consider myself a "fan" of Lovren but he is a maddening player. Seeing him live this Summer only confirmed it for me. He is an excellent defender for what's right in front of him but at times he shows a shockingly low football IQ, vision and awareness for situations. He gets suckered so easily - because he is so focused on what is right in front of him - and he leaves so many spaces open and gambles on situations that a player of his age and experience has seen a million times. Yet, he falls for the same things every time. As much as it pains me to say, I really do feel like he is always good for creating one potential calamity per match.

EDIT: I will always remember fondly how outstanding he was for Croatia in the World Cup run. He was unbelievable. Volim Hrvatsku!
Yes, he was. Absolutely brilliant. Played whilst injured, came back for pre-season with the same injury, never regained his place in the team. Well done Degsy, you were great in the World Cup.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Yes, he was. Absolutely brilliant. Played whilst injured, came back for pre-season with the same injury, never regained his place in the team. Well done Degsy, you were great in the World Cup.
That's a nice tribute! If the club want to sell him, I suppose there is zero reason not to. He's not going to make any difference in a title run. I guess he might contribute to a domestic Cup run but I get the sense they aren't a priority for the Club.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
He's not going to make any difference in a title run.
I disagree, I think he'd make a massive difference for us in a title run were he to feature regularly.

In that it would bin off any chance of a proper title run.

There were a few flashes here and there that I'll give him credit for, but the repeated calamities - coupled with the fact that KNOWING there's always the chance one of those calamities WILL happen again, especially in his teammates - outweigh them. Whenever he played for us last season, you could always tell - Virg was diverting some of his powers to keeping an eye on him, full backs weren't getting as high up the pitch as normal, for fear of leaving him exposed.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Just feels like we are stripping the squad back to its minimum except in CM. At a time when we should be looking to kick on and become a real force in world football once again and have a increase in matches we should face. 4 starting senior defenders, one in reserve (if everyone fit and available) and then cover by academy players and CMs. No matter how good those academy kids and CMs may be it can't possibly be seen as anything other than a risk surely? When we dont need to take one. We already have the smallest senior squad in the top 6 and face the most games this season.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Just feels like we are stripping the squad back to its minimum except in CM. At a time when we should be looking to kick on and become a real force in world football once again and have a increase in matches we should face. 4 starting senior defenders, one in reserve (if everyone fit and available) and then cover by academy players and CMs. No matter how good those academy kids and CMs may be it can't possibly be seen as anything other than a risk surely? When we dont need to take one. We already have the smallest senior squad in the top 6 and face the most games this season.
Sure, it is a bit of a gamble. If I'm being entirely honest though I'd prefer to see Hoever get games at CB than Lovren, and even then the lad is probably going to be behind Fabinho, who is potentially very good in the role.

I think the main argument at the moment is about numbers, not seeing many arguments in favour of keeping Mignolet, Sturridge, Lovren etc based on their actual quality, which is telling.

ubermick

Admin
Genuinely surprised at the level of heads falling off about this. He's fourth choice CB (and fourth choice by some margin) and that's on those occasions when he's actually fit. Certainly a situation that the self-professed greatest defender in the world wouldn't want to be in. This isn't stripping the squad bare. In letting Moreno leave, selling Lovren, allowing Migs to move on (although I never thought Migs was as bad as the majority made him out to be, but that's perception for you I suppose) the club is getting rid of deadwood on the books and clearing a path for some of the bright stars of the Academy to feature in first team training and matchday squads. (And potentially new signings down the road).

All the lads who've left, or in the case of Lovren likely to leave, are players who wouldn't have featured for us going forward even if they'd stayed.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Genuinely surprised at the level of heads falling off about this. He's fourth choice CB (and fourth choice by some margin) and that's on those occasions when he's actually fit. Certainly a situation that the self-professed greatest defender in the world wouldn't want to be in. This isn't stripping the squad bare. In letting Moreno leave, selling Lovren, allowing Migs to move on (although I never thought Migs was as bad as the majority made him out to be, but that's perception for you I suppose) the club is getting rid of deadwood on the books and clearing a path for some of the bright stars of the Academy to feature in first team training and matchday squads. (And potentially new signings down the road).

All the lads who've left, or in the case of Lovren likely to leave, are players who wouldn't have featured for us going forward even if they'd stayed.
It's about numbers at this point. He has it in him to be a good defender at the top level if there's someone like a Virgil to mop up his mess that he at periods does leave behind.

I'd be more happy having him play if matip and gomez are out injured which looking at their injury records seems a definite possibility than have fabinho there... Esp as fabinho is much more important in his midfield position ... Or have the young dutchmen in hoever and van den Berg play.

The only way I'll be reasonably happy with a lovren transfer out is if we worked out a suitable replacement in the Jan transfer window

ubermick

Admin
Again, you're assuming though that Lovren would be happy about hanging around in the hope that he picks up the off game here and there. I think Klopp has had a chat with him about his role going forward, and chances are he wants out. (And I'd bet that despite me being willing to drive him to the airport, I'd have to get in line behind Virg.)

SithBaare

Again, you're assuming though that Lovren would be happy about hanging around in the hope that he picks up the off game here and there. I think Klopp has had a chat with him about his role going forward, and chances are he wants out. (And I'd bet that despite me being willing to drive him to the airport, I'd have to get in line behind Virg.)
Heck , I'd even live up to one of the Indian stereotype of being a cab driver for that to happen. But the point is we are leaving a lot to chance.

Agree about the player wanting to play more and his viewpoint is correct in that regard.

SithBaare

Point is that the English teams play a lot more than the other leagues and this season is exceptionally cramped for Liverpool. Are we willing to trust hoever and vdb to be in the center of defense especially when we are competing on all fronts.

Yes , there has been a newspaper article that Liverpool would be tanking the domestic cups but a competitive match is a competitive match and I'd hate to see a Liverpool side go into a match without the intent to win

igor_piss_can

The fella is 30 years of age, he's not going to get any better. Can't deny that he's had some good games in a Liverpool shirt but he's had plenty of howlers too. Away at City in January springs to mind, arguably our most important league game of the season & he had an absolute shocker.

In footballing terms I've never really rated him & see him as a liability but one thing I do like about him is his attitude, give him his dues he never shys away & I actually liked the cocky statements he comes out with in the press. He seems to be a hit in the dressing room too, that stuff I think we'll miss. His footballing ability, not so much

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
I do wonder how much our commercial income will have increased by relative to last year. What with all the new contracts, wage increases and bonuses the players have been earning I wonder whether wages are a factor at the moment, particularly if we need to free up some space for bringing in some high value signings within the next 10-12 months.

SithBaare

The fella is 30 years of age, he's not going to get any better. Can't deny that he's had some good games in a Liverpool shirt but he's had plenty of howlers too. Away at City in January springs to mind, arguably our most important league game of the season & he had an absolute shocker.

In footballing terms I've never really rated him & see him as a liability but one thing I do like about him is his attitude, give him his dues he never shys away & I actually liked the cocky statements he comes out with in the press. He seems to be a hit in the dressing room too, that stuff I think we'll miss. His footballing ability, not so much
His best moments on the pitch came when we had vvd alongside him , not withstanding the loss against tottenham.

I wouldn't pair him against either of matip or Gomez. But a vvd/lovren partnership in odd games works well

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

Then replace him with a different senior defender ready to contribute now instead.

SithBaare

Then replace him with a different senior defender ready to contribute now instead.
Any good senior defender who's available on a free ? The transfer window is shut. We can't get the likes of klavan even. Any defenders won't be able to play the high line with the impetus on pace that klopp expects.

Dave-D

I think this is a bit of two different things,Lovren believes he should be further up the pecking order so is a bit miffed at the thought of playing very little,whilst we think we don't need a £100k pw player going stale so giving him a chance respectfully to seek more chance of playing elsewhere,fair enough imo.
I wonder if the 100k wages is why the transfer fee is so small, you know these Italian teams they want everything for nothing.

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
Not sure if everyone would agree but I'd prob prefer Fabinho at centre back than Lovren anyway.
Lovren makes me nervous. He is no where near as bad as he was but theres always that thought in my mind hes going to do a Lovren.
With Van Dijk, Matip, Gomez and Fab in emergency we should have enough. You could say if 2 of the main 3 get injured were fucked but I dont think any team in the world would expect to cope well with 2 of their first choice centre backs injured.

LFC4EVR

I think the double combo of Mignolet and Lovren added to that stress level for fans, nerves breed nerves and our defense was jangling back then, up the anti and add Moreno to those two and we all were having a mental breakdown over the shakiness of our defense.

Pair Lovren up with Jose Fonte and Lovren was good. Pair up Lovren with someone less commanding and he's just a nervous wreck. We got him in to be a leader at the back and he just didn't have the mental capacity in that regard. Basically, we bought the wrong defender!

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I do wonder how much our commercial income will have increased by relative to last year. What with all the new contracts, wage increases and bonuses the players have been earning I wonder whether wages are a factor at the moment, particularly if we need to free up some space for bringing in some high value signings within the next 10-12 months.
There was some suggestion that we were near borderline coming into this window. The movement out, and expected increases in commercial revenue should allow us to move quickly next summer for big earners should we wish to, and issue bigger contracts this season should someone earn it.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I think the double combo of Mignolet and Lovren added to that stress level for fans, nerves breed nerves and our defense was jangling back then, up the anti and add Moreno to those two and we all were having a mental breakdown over the shakiness of our defense.

Pair Lovren up with Jose Fonte and Lovren was good. Pair up Lovren with someone less commanding and he's just a nervous wreck. We got him in to be a leader at the back and he just didn't have the mental capacity in that regard. Basically, we bought the wrong defender!
Fonte wasnt much good at West Ham though.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Not sure if everyone would agree but I'd prob prefer Fabinho at centre back than Lovren anyway.
Lovren makes me nervous. He is no where near as bad as he was but theres always that thought in my mind hes going to do a Lovren.
With Van Dijk, Matip, Gomez and Fab in emergency we should have enough. You could say if 2 of the main 3 get injured were fucked but I dont think any team in the world would expect to cope well with 2 of their first choice centre backs injured.
I agree with most of what you say but have we had a season yet when Matip and Gomez weren't both injured at the same time at some point? I know they were both injured at the same time already within this calendar year.