• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Dejan Lovren (CB) to AC Milan, Roma

fspencer

Maybe they thought we were desperate to get rid and quickly realised we weren't.
Lovren is terrific if we consider the mistakes hes made and the court case he was involved in . Must have great mental strength to ignore all the bs . Not the most gifted but a proper professional .

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
Lovren is not a good CB but he seems to be a good locker room presence.

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Glad we've told them to nick off, better to keep Lovren around and keep the depth in the squad. We've let ourselves be taken advantage of far too many times by Italian clubs with their bodgy loan deals that never come to anything. Glad we put a stop to it.

Loan moves for youth players aside, If I was Edwards/Klopp I'd be making it absolutely clear to the 1st team squad that once the EPL window closes any potential for moves are gone and its time to knuckle down and focus on playing for Liverpool. End of story.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Lovren is not a good CB but he seems to be a good locker room presence.
I'd say he is a good CB. Not great, not bad. Somewhere in between. Too inconsistent for his age. As for the presence... who knows. He's brave, he's vocal, you can give him that. How good? Hard to judge from the outside. You can sense when Virgil joked about his #top5 claim that maybe not everyone takes him seriously. Maybe some even think he's a bit of a clown when he says stuff like this in interviews. He's not the brightest, that's for sure.

He’d be a starter at Tottenham, Chelsea, Arsenal and ManU.
Tottenham? Nah. Chelsea? Maybe. Arsenal? Yeah. United... close, but I don't think so. It's also about styles though. I wouldn't say it's that easy he goes into every of those sides. Spurs especially (even if there also must be a good reason why no one took Toby's clause...).

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
I'd keep him.
We have a really long season. And there will be times when Gomez would play RB for TAA and our CBs might need a rest.
Also, we need to be careful as Gomez tends to be injury prone.
If we are lucky like shitty were last year, to have easy cup fixtures, it would be great to have him starting.

eng.amohd

The segundo volante
Dejan Lovren (CB) to AC Milan, Roma

He is THAT good, he'd be playing at two Italian clubs simultaneously :celebrating:

nikz200

I feel like people forgot where we needed him after we accrued multiple injuries in CB including Joe Gomez and Matip, he stepped in for us and did a respectable job. Given our thin cover at Left back and right back, he gives Gomez the option to play on the flanks as well if he steps in. We should definitely keep him if the clubs don't meet the asking price. He is a decent CB.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
The way the u23's are playing, I dont think any of them can currently be considered as backup, which means we should not be selling or loaning any senior players.

Joe Gomez x

I’d keep him personally, don’t think there are many better 4th choice centre half’s in the league bar Man City’s. If he’s going I would rather that be in January where we can organise ourselves better rather than during the start of the season.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
I’d keep him personally, don’t think there are many better 4th choice centre half’s in the league bar Man City’s. If he’s going I would rather that be in January where we can organise ourselves better rather than during the start of the season.
Who is City's 4th choice CB? If it's Mangala then Lovren's better than him.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
According to german media Leverkusen are now interested in signing Lovren.

eng.amohd

The segundo volante
Our 3 CBs are better than theirs individually (VVD, Matip, Gomez to Laporte, Otamendi and Stones), and we have an extra fourth CB in Lovren who is a 2 times UCL finalist, UCL winner, WC finalist and a Super Cup winner. He could walk in to any Premier League squad first XI, bar us, City and perhaps Spurs. Until Hoever and/or Sepp are ready to take that 4th CB spot, I'd deffo keep him.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Our 3 CBs are better than theirs individually (VVD, Matip, Gomez to Laporte, Otamendi and Stones), and we have an extra fourth CB in Lovren who is a 2 times UCL finalist, UCL winner, WC finalist and a Super Cup winner. He could walk in to any Premier League squad first XI, bar us, City and perhaps Spurs. Until Hoever and/or Sepp are ready to take that 4th CB spot, I'd deffo keep him.
Europa League finalist

andyclegs

In my opinion I feel it would be un wise to let him - until January at least; especially as we lost Gomes for a large chunk of last year. However, if he is un-happy and wants to go then let him - for a tidy price as we’ve been no mugs in recent years selling our players.

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
If we let Lovren go, the squad will be weakened even more than it already has been. We’ve got even more games to play this season and I worry about the depth of the squad.
It’s the Turf Moor thugs on Saturday, has everyone forgotten Gomez got his leg broken there last season. I’ll be amazed if we don’t pick up one two injuries there again as they will try to kick us off the park. It’s a big risk allowing anymore squad players to leave as they can’t be replaced now.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
I think it's pretty unlikely we'll sell him now.
Looks like you're right. In terms of selling him anyway. According to this entirely reliable source (Sportske Novosti?) he'll be loaned out with an "obligation" to buy. For budding football agents out there, that means they have to.
https://www.thisisanfield.com/2019/08/liverpool-accept-romas-latest-offer-for-dejan-lovren-with-announcement-set-for-coming-days/

I'm in the 'shouldn't sell' camp, at least not without an experienced replacement. But if a player is adamant that he wants to leave, then what can you do?