Dejan Lovren (CB) to Zenit, Roma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard88

I guess looking at the current squad options; Fabinho is the emergency 4th choice, unless Van De Berg or Hoever are ready to step up. Nat Philips is also around still, but not seen enough of him.

If we do get the chance to go out, from murmurings, Ben White is one we are interested in, but B&HA have said not for sale. I'd take Nathan Ake if we have a chance, lefty too so could do a shit at LB if needed (although I'd still like to see a left footed fullback/winger type in). Also quite like Mings. Don't think we are about to go and spend a big chunk on anyone though.

I'll just mention that I like Cantwell too - entirely unrelated to this thread, but fk it, Champions do what the want!
Brighton have said 'not for sale' and I'd expect them to want to showcase Ben White in the PL before selling him to boost his value, but at the same time his contract expires in 2022 so they won't have that much leverage. They'll probably be looking at selling him in 2021 if not sooner due to his contract status. Might be a good opportunity for a buy-and-loan-back option, as that would give Brighton some financial windfall while still getting the player for a year. From the players perspective that would make sense as well as White would get a year of PL experience before joining us to gradually take over from Matip, rather than being stuck as 4th choice on our bench most of the year.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
£11m for Degsy? A 31 year old bit-part player with limited time left on an expensive contract? I'm actually a little bit shocked.
This right here. I’ve probably held on to Degsy longer than most, and even I think that is an unbelievable financial return for him. I am floored, actually. My guess is he’s going to be outstanding for his new club. He will be a big fish in a smaller pond and he can just focus on playing his game.

VOLIM HRVATSKU!

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Does Ake shit as good as he defends?
He pulls a Lineker in defence,thats a bit risky for my liking.

Edit: just a thought but could you imagine if that was a skill,you got your scouts checking out players,speed-tick,agility-tick,power-tick,heading-tick,finishing-tick,shitting on the pitch during a game-tick.I think it's safe to say,i don't think Championship Manager will have to do any game updates to slip that one in lol

Last edited:

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
I do wonder how Mo will feel because those two were pretty inseparable. It's possible that Dejan's biggest role at this club was being Mo's support system. Just slightly ahead of the goal against Dortmund - the moment I started to believe in Klopp's magic.

Dej always struck me as someone who just lacked the mental awareness to be a world class center back. He was strong and he was fearless, but he just lost focus too often. That being said, he could have caused more of a stink by being relegated to 4th choice CB, but he maintained his professionalism. I wish him nothing but the best.

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Good business all round really, we get good value for him and he goes to a club that win trophies and he plays every week as a part of that.

Got exposed at this level a bit but won't be facing the quality of attacking players in Russia so will probably do really well there. He's a decent player just not quite at the level we require but by all reports a solid professional and a good team man so wish him well in his future endeavours.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
I’ve heard some of the fan media suggesting he should play against Newcastle as a farewell.

That’s not how it works. If he is on the verge of a move, he’ll not play. All that has to happen is he pulls something or tears something, and the move is off. Liverpool would risk that.

petergriffin2020

Oh Degsy. Decent guy apart from the Trump/QAnon stuff, but he just couldn't get out of his own way sometimes. If not on the pitch, it was in the media — he'd get into a good run of form before declaring how good he was and then promptly having a stinker. Rinse and repeat. Used to drive me nuts along with Mignolet, Moreno, and Skrtel. That said, for all his errors (and there were many), he could be class on his day and did play well in some very big games for us, so I think he will stand out for Zenit. Always gave 100%, couldn't fault his effort. Best of luck to him.

brush85

All you can ask from someone is that they give their best effort. After that, it is down to coaches to use them as they see fit. Lovren always gave his best effort and even though that seems like a low bar. Look around sport and life...how often can you say that about anyone?

Good price...hate Zenit though.

Mark Thurgood

The goal against Dortmund I think is his standout game for us, however to many times games like Tottenham and Watford away spring more to the mind when I think of Lovren. £11m a good fetch first us who once claimed to be “one of the best defenders in the world”.
Honestly glad to see this thread closed sooner rather than later.

Dave-D

He’s played his part in helping get the team to where they are today but they now have out grown him as can be seen by him being 4th choice CB.

Will leave as the first Croatian to have won the EPL.

All the best Dejan.

Mark Thurgood

He is leaving too? I wanna say, Better late than never. But that's a wrong thing to say.

He is what he is - a great player and a shit player, sometimes all in the span of 10 seconds. But he is still a red. So..

YNWA.

PS - We are cleaning up squad players. Hope our youngsters are going to grab the opportunities now.
I would also like to see some young guns coming through, when you have Hoever, Williams (I know he isn’t a centre back) and Van Den Berg yet to come through. I’d rather not spend money on a centre half, I’d rather trust the young boys and give them a go. Nothing to lose and everything to gain for me. With Matip injury woes recently Fabinho can also be used if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.