• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Deloitte Football Money League

Jaytinho

I found this very interesting. Is it not crazy that we've leapfrogged Chelsea, yes Abramovich Chelsea in the Deloitte rankings? First time since 2004. We def in the big leagues!

Current top 20 - 2019:

Rank
ClubRevenue
( million)
Rank
Change
1Real Madrid750.92 +1
2Barcelona690.43 +1
3Manchester United666.01 −2
4Bayern Munich629.24
5Manchester City568.45
6Paris Saint‑Germain541.77 +1
7Liverpool513.79 +2
8Chelsea505.78
9Arsenal439.26 -3
10Tottenham Hotspur428.311 +1
11Juventus394.910 -1
12Borussia Dortmund317.211 −1
13Atlético Madrid304.413
14Internazionale280.815 +1
15Roma250.024 +9
16Schalke 04243.816
17Everton212.920 +3
18Milan207.722 +4
19Newcastle United201.531+
20West Ham United197.917 -3

Claymenza

What's the EBITDA?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
What's the EBITDA?
We've announced our 2017/18 season numbers around Feb 2019 at £125m, which if we go by the revenue shown above is about 25%, which is rather high, Spurs numbers are even crazier if you were to take what was reported as their after tax profit of £113m last year, their Ebitda would be somewhere in the 30-35% of revenue. Crazy.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Our revenue will increase again surely - as this won’t take in the last seasons numbers!

Also PSG and city have “inflated” revenues. Feels like we are with the big boys once again.

Great times!

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Our revenue will increase again surely - as this won’t take in the last seasons numbers!

Also PSG and city have “inflated” revenues. Feels like we are with the big boys once again.

Great times!
I think our next reporting will be in 2020 Feb-March. We may see increase of revenue, but I don't think we can maintain our profit margin since we spent quite a fair bit in 2018 summer.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Back in the PL for the past two seasons, English club at a time when there's so much money (and quite a bit of stupidity as a result of it...), large ground, big (local) following... I guess those are the main reasons.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Back in the PL for the past two seasons, English club at a time when there's so much money (and quite a bit of stupidity as a result of it...), large ground, big (local) following... I guess those are the main reasons.
I wouldnt have thought the property values in Newcastle would be that high (relatively speaking). Dont Newcastle pretty much run at a loss already and they are not spending vast sums on wages or transfer fees are they?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I wouldnt have thought the property values in Newcastle would be that high (relatively speaking). Dont Newcastle pretty much run at a loss already and they are not spending vast sums on wages or transfer fees are they?
Don't think so, the 17/18 accounts showed increase of revenue by more than two folds from what they've earned when they were in the Championship. They have also recorded a profit after tax amounting to £18.6m. They aren't operating on a loss, the owner demand dividend drawdown every year, while leaving the debt level the same without any repayment of £144m.

I am not surprised they are in there if the mark they have to break to get into top 20 in Europe is only £200m a year. Premier League TV rights share alone would probably accounted to nearly half of that.

lfc.8

I am not surprised they are in there if the mark they have to break to get into top 20 in Europe is only £200m a year. Premier League TV rights share alone would probably accounted to nearly half of that.
Euro's.

lfc.8

Need to close the gap to the top few clubs. Still streets ahead.

Commercial revenue really needs to improve, likewise Matchday. Perhaps the Champions League win can help kick start that a bit more, plus with a potential new kit deal for 2020/21.

Claymenza

We've announced our 2017/18 season numbers around Feb 2019 at £125m, which if we go by the revenue shown above is about 25%, which is rather high, Spurs numbers are even crazier if you were to take what was reported as their after tax profit of £113m last year, their Ebitda would be somewhere in the 30-35% of revenue. Crazy.
They get unfairly labeled as 'cheap' but i prefer the term 'lean' due to their low turnover and shrewd success in the transfer market.

Spitfire

Resident Realist
Surprised to see Newcastle so high, how'd they manage that?
Stadium size - I'd guess they would have high match day revenues......St James holds some 55,000 people I think

Cynics might also say there could be creative accounting on sponsorship deals with Sports Direct......but who knows

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Surprised to see Newcastle so high, how'd they manage that?
Toon have been fairly strong in revenue terms for years. Matchday is solid, PL TV money in the top half (good venue, decent fanbase, so on TV a fair amount). Throw in Ashley using Toon as a way to increase SportsDirect net cash and reduce tax, I suspect too.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Need to close the gap to the top few clubs. Still streets ahead.

Commercial revenue really needs to improve, likewise Matchday. Perhaps the Champions League win can help kick start that a bit more, plus with a potential new kit deal for 2020/21.
Matchday revenue is going to be difficult to grow at this point, until there is further expansion. There is a de facto cap on ticket prices, only so much you can do to increase per ticket additional revenue. The biggest possible delta for the season is probably a decent cup run or too, with some additional home games.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Matchday revenue is going to be difficult to grow at this point, until there is further expansion. There is a de facto cap on ticket prices, only so much you can do to increase per ticket additional revenue. The biggest possible delta for the season is probably a decent cup run or too, with some additional home games.
Or selling a couple of key players after Wilson and Brewster impressed the shit out of the entire footballing world?

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Or selling a couple of key players after Wilson and Brewster impressed the shit out of the entire footballing world?
I tend to look at these issues apart from player trading revenue and expense, as how the club as a company is able to support the club as a sporting entity. On an ongoing basis, a club like LFC should not be looking to revenue from player sales as anything but as an offset to acquisitions or youth development - a bonus rather than a sustainable growth source.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I tend to look at these issues apart from player trading revenue and expense, as how the club as a company is able to support the club as a sporting entity. On an ongoing basis, a club like LFC should not be looking to revenue from player sales as anything but as an offset to acquisitions or youth development - a bonus rather than a sustainable growth source.
Player sale play a big part in revenue increase for certain clubs, might not be for the likes of United, Man City or Madrid or even PSG, but for most club owners that is what they are aiming for. So player sales cannot be seen as a bonus, since our owners did mentioned they would keep looking to offload players at the final few years of their peak to maximise their values. You can offset the sale with new acquisition, but shouldn't acquisition of assets be treated as cost which will be deducted by revenue in whichever form it comes from?

lfc.8

Most growth will need to come from commercial deals.

As for Matchday yes there will be a certain limit as such. Further growth in other sporting and non sporting events will help. This summer there were a few concerts played plus Rugby League. Anfield Road redevelopment will help as well, plus with potential corporate hospitality if that's on the cards.

More probably needs to be done though. There were murmurs that the club didn't fully expand or plan to, to what they could have, on the basis of the premise over non regular Champions League football. That might have changed. But demand certainly outstrips supply.