• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Divock Origi (FW) Besiktas

Status
Not open for further replies.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
I must say i expected big things from Divock but unfortunately he didn't developed well. Made a big step backwards last season and he has to make two forward if he doesn't want to end up as a flop this season. That seams very difficult because of the competition for places.

It can already be seen that Solanke puts much more intensity and strength into his game than Origi. Coming on from the bench late on to defend a lead Solanke is much better to shield the ball than Origi. Could be a very hard season for Divock.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
I think he is one of those players who is more of an athlete than a footballer.

When he does not need to think, when things are going well for him, he looks like a player will all the attributes to be special. We saw glimpses of it in different games. Unfortunately top form has been too sparse. When things are not going will in my opinion that self doubt is obvious. He overthinks, takes no risks, and if I am honest I think at times he hides (taking up positions so will not receive the ball).

He is young and can overcome this, but I think he needs a club where the spot light isnt on him.

Herb

£13m is a bit of a joke. But I'd be open to selling him for the correct price. Decent player but I don't think he really suits our style of play. Seems quite streaky which I suppose is to be expected of such a young striker. Has all the attributes to be top class but I'm not convinced he'll develop much here.

Maggot_Birdy

TIA New Signing
Very frustrating to read!
I wonder if and how on earth people see him as 4th in the pecking order and rate even Solanke higher.
His technique for his physical constitution is great and he can develop more. He is better than Lukaku at Chelsea.
I don't see how we can say he didn't develop since the good performances towards the end of 2015/16 season.
When he played in a continuous streak of games back in november and december he was vital upfront.

I understand why Klopp prefers firminio , but IMO he should be at least second in the pecking order. No Sturridge, who is 27 yrs old, and a joke of a player with his injury proneness, and his inability to lead the team in important games and take correct decisions....

jboy14

Apologies if its been mentioned already but he has been mostly crap since Funes Mori nearly broke his ankle in the derby. Up untl that point he was looking like a real player. I would sell but not for the reported 13 million.

the Bull

Don't Panic :P
Don't want him to move on as it stands. Unless we have some transfer activity this next week, we're shallow in wide players and he's more natural there than Sturridge or Solanke. Firmino can play the wing, but it feels like there he's a waste. So much better as a #9/10. Same with Coutinho, he would be better at #8/10. More space to work his magic. Would rather have a winger than Origi, but I think I'd rather see a Mane-Firmino-Origi front line than a Mane-Sturridge-Firmino one if Salah were to be rested. Rate Sturridge far better, but I feel we'll see more games like Palace where he has to fall back with Firmino on the wing. Rather keep all the options we have unless new options arrive. If he moves, best of luck to him. Can understand wanting game time. I do think he will end up as a 15 goal a season guy in his prime. He has all the tools.

ubermick

He's gone! HE'S GONE!!!!
Admin
To those that think £13m isn't a lot, think of it this way; £73m for VVD is a pisstake, but £60m is about right. And remember, just because Barca and PSG are being utter fucking morons with their money doesn't mean every club has that ability, especially those not suckling on the swollen Premiership teat. Anyone in France who isn't PSG or Monaco would struggle to come up with £13m. As would most teams in Germany or Spain who aren't in the CL, and face facts, it's not going to be the powerhouses who show interest in him.

Rooster

What a hit son
Time to go as long as a replacement comes in. Not bothered if loaned or sold.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
Although I was never a fan of Origi, I'm surprised at the sudden change in sentiment.

Before the summer, I think a lot of supporters would have been reluctant to see him go... In the "Who would you buy thread" it was more: "Top striker in, Sturridge out." Origi is one appearance into the new season!!!

To me, it might be yet another case of over-rating our own players (e.g., our young players are better than theirs). Robertson suffered from this sentiment as there was very little belief that he would come good. Now after one game, people are adjusting their expectations upwards.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Although I was never a fan of Origi, I'm surprised at the sudden change in sentiment.

Before the summer, I think a lot of supporters would have been reluctant to see him go... In the "Who would you buy thread" it was more: "Top striker in, Sturridge out." Origi is one appearance into the new season!!!

To me, it might be yet another case of over-rating our own players (e.g., our young players are better than theirs). Robertson suffered from this sentiment as there was very little belief that he would come good. Now after one game, people are adjusting their expectations upwards.
I think most people's position on Origi has always been "shows flashes, needs to progress/be more consistent". The longer we go on with that not happening, the more likely it seems it never will. What can appear promising in a 20yo is less so when a player is 22yo and no better than he was. The biggest issue though is that he needs games, but is unlikely to get them here as the drop-off from Firmino to Origi is still so steep we can't afford to carry him any longer while he learns on the job. He's had the opportunities as well, so I don't think the blame really lies with us on this one.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
I think most people's position on Origi has always been "shows flashes, needs to progress/be more consistent". The longer we go on with that not happening, the more likely it seems it never will. What can appear promising in a 20yo is less so when a player is 22yo and no better than he was. The biggest issue though is that he needs games, but is unlikely to get them here as the drop-off from Firmino to Origi is still so steep we can't afford to carry him any longer while he learns on the job. He's had the opportunities as well, so I don't think the blame really lies with us on this one.
Agree with u that he has had his chances... what I'm talking about more is the sentiment change from the beginning of the window.

StEtiennesLeftBoot

Back where we belong :-)
I wonder if the plan is to sell Origi and Ings and bring Benzema in? That would make some sort of sense surely? (but not at 92 million quid)

StEtiennesLeftBoot

Short term contract - still might make sense... hmm these reports are emanating from the Spanish media..oh crap....

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
With what you would have to pay to sign Benzema and his likely wages its a no .... plus IMO Firmino is a better player and how much would you pay to have Benzema on the bench

StEtiennesLeftBoot

It's still a question of squad depth what happens if Firmino gets injured? Seems there is plenty left to go in this transfer window... I'm not saying Benzema is the right option..maybe we're going to swop Origi with the Arse for the Ox....(whose wage demands also seem somewhat inflated..)... It's all speculation until the Twitterman or lady sings (and not always then).... I thought these threads were about that? If we were just to go on news reports of completed deals it would be like tumbleweed blowing around here.... No joke intended and on topic mods...

Chewbazza

Ad-free Member

I think most would have been happy to keep Origi if we hadn't bought Solanke, but his performances for the under 20s, preseason and sub appearances have been far more mouth-watering than most things Origi did last year (Everton and Bournemouth goals aside).

Bottom line is we don't need 5 players for 1 position as @ILLOK was saying yesterday. Firmino is a lock regardless of what the fans think of him, Ings is probably at the moment unsellable (not in the good way), Solanke obviously stays as we just bought him.

So between DS and Origi, one is surplus. The ideal would probably be to sell both and bring in a 1st/2nd choice player who doesn't get injured on a monthly basis, but as it doesn't seem like DS is going anywhere, seems the right time to at least move on Origi to give Solanke as much opportunity as possible to build on his early promising performances.

Last edited:

StEtiennesLeftBoot

I guess the question is do we loan or sell? If he makes a direct rival stronger we've shot ourselves in the foot (or boot in my case). It's a shame because the guy has a lot of talent and I take the point that Fermi's dirty tackle has probably affected the lad.. Are FSG moneyballing in reverse if he goes for 13 million? There's something quite big looming up and it's not just Chewbazza...(hopefully)..

Etipafilaf

"If we want, this can be a real special day."
This is pretty much where I stand on it.

Would be disappointed to see him go but he needs to play to develop and become consistent and probably won't get that chance here. I would hope if he is sold there is a buy back and/or sell on though and probably would prefer a loan. I've always had high hopes for him (and still do) but it's his job to make sure Liverpool can't find someone to take his spot. So if that is what Dom has done, I don't think Divock has anyone to blame but himself. For me he's too talented to look at it any other way.

Also I hope the "other business" is Ox. If so, that makes a lot more sense to me.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Strange rumour. Divock is a valuable squad member. Solanke is nowhere near to take over from him in terms of squad depth. People say that we are overloaded with strikers... really? We are one injury away to Sturridge to only have Firmino and Solanke deputising for the striker role. And what if Klopp wants to change tactics in a match and needs to play two strikers at once on the pitch?

Nah, as long as there isn't another genuine striker coming in, Divock should be kept.

Edit: forgot about Ings, but he's a sicknote anyway, worse than Sturridge, and who knows what his real level is these days? We can't count on him for genuine squad depth.

Noo Noo

I'm not surprised by this. I just get the impression that Origi doesn't fit. His performances haven't been great.

Interesting points made on squad depth above though. Tough call on that front with Ings and Solanke but I'd certainly say the Solanke can certainly contribute in the same way Origi did last year.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Strange rumour. Divock is a valuable squad member. Solanke is nowhere near to take over from him in terms of squad depth. People say that we are overloaded with strikers... really? We are one injury away to Sturridge to only have Firmino and Solanke deputising for the striker role. And what if Klopp wants to change tactics in a match and needs to play two strikers at once on the pitch?

Nah, as long as there isn't another genuine striker coming in, Divock should be kept.

Edit: forgot about Ings, but he's a sicknote anyway, worse than Sturridge, and who knows what his real level is these days? We can't count on him for genuine squad depth.
Solanke is nowhere near taking over from Origi...really? Klopp seems to think otherwise. Solanke was far better than Origi in pre season and has seemingly overtaken him in the pecking order for the first team.

Firmino, Sturridge, Solanke and Ings is enough for one position, with Salah, Mane and even Brewster as emergency cover. If Klopp wants to change tactics and use 2 strikers, he still has plenty of options at his disposal.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
To those that think £13m isn't a lot, think of it this way; £73m for VVD is a pisstake, but £60m is about right. And remember, just because Barca and PSG are being utter fucking morons with their money doesn't mean every club has that ability, especially those not suckling on the swollen Premiership teat. Anyone in France who isn't PSG or Monaco would struggle to come up with £13m. As would most teams in Germany or Spain who aren't in the CL, and face facts, it's not going to be the powerhouses who show interest in him.
That's all kind of irrelevant though.

13 million isn't a lot to us. We're better off loaning him out on the chance that he develops and we get a better player back, or get a better player to sell next summer.

We don't have to sell him cheap just because the first few clubs who show an interest don't have much money.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Solanke is nowhere near taking over from Origi...really? Klopp seems to think otherwise. Solanke was far better than Origi in pre season and has seemingly overtaken him in the pecking order for the first team.

Firmino, Sturridge, Solanke and Ings is enough for one position, with Salah, Mane and even Brewster as emergency cover. If Klopp wants to change tactics and use 2 strikers, he still has plenty of options at his disposal.
The lad is what, 17? 18? Too young to play second striker behind Firmino. My opinion. If Klopp deems him good enough, then I'll trust him. But for the time being, I'd rather guess that the rumour is false. I'd be surprised if Klopp accepts to lack good and reliable strikers in the squad.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
The lad is what, 17? 18? Too young to play second striker behind Firmino. My opinion. If Klopp deems him good enough, then I'll trust him. But for the time being, I'd rather guess that the rumour is false. I'd be surprised if Klopp accepts to lack good and reliable strikers in the squad.
Solanke is 20 in 3 weeks.

Young or not his performances have been better than Origi's since he's been at the club. Why would the manager not pick a better performing player just because he's 3 years younger?

Sturridge is second behind Firmino anyway, not Solanke.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Find it interesting there's a "if we can complete our other business" line. Someone who plays another position but can also cover the central position (like how we had our name in the hat for Mbappe).

This was my thoughts back in May, added Solanke since then too;

"I've seen a couple of people suggesting letting Origi go out on loan and keeping Sturridge stay one last year now. I think the idea has a lot of merit the more I think of it actually.

1. Based on performances over the last month or two Sturridge has brought more tricky, intricate, creative, link-up play and meshes better with his teammates. Sturridge has also been pressing just as much as Origi lately or more and has been using his pace better to explode past opposition defences with or without the ball. He's also obviously more clinical (when fit) than Origi is now.

2. At this stage neither Sturridge or Origi should be relied upon as second choice forward for a team competing on 4 fronts so someone else needs to be brought in whichever one we keep here next year. So we are talking third choice here.

3. We won't be able to sell Ings and doubt anyone would take him on loan either so he's doing his recovery with us next season and may play as our fourth choice forward if he does get fit. We also have the academy, particularly the likes of Ojo, Woodburn and Brewster so we generally will have a lot of half options after our first choice two so won't really need to rely on our third choice anyway. It'll be a luxury option to see if we can use it to get Sturridge fit finally or to develop Origi without pressure.

4. Origi will probably develop quicker playing regularly and would probably be welcomed with open arms by several decent level clubs around Europe playing at decent levels. If we can find one that plays the right way it could be fantastic situation for us.

5. If Sturridge can get fit he's still a phenomenal talent. His explosive start to goalscoring life here was the most impressive goalscoring run we've seen in the premier league era and, considering some of the strikers that played for us in that time, that really is saying a lot. You have a talent like that you don't let them go lightly. I know he's on large wages but a lot our incentive based so not bothered on that score. Sturridge has also been available more games this season than awhile. You could argue he hasn't played to get injured but he's a player who mostly gets injured in training so that doesn't wash with me."

"1. Are Origi and Firmino good enough to be the main two choice forwards for a team challenging in Europe and for the league and cups?

My answer; Firmino is good enough as part of a whole even though he's not particularly prolific. Origi has only shown the odd flash here and there for me this season so unfortunately I've changed my mind (always thought they should be 1 and 2 for next season) and now want us to buy a proper option here even if it's a player who plays more than one position and can play wide or something when Firmino plays (who should never play wide again in my book).

2. Will Origi develop enough next season as a third choice forward option?

My answer; No. He needs playing time now. He probably needs to be playing week in week out to get there. Like Klopp was able to do with Lewa and PEA but doubt he'd get away with doing here with Origi.

3. Would a decent enough team offer to take Origi on a season long loan as their main striker?

My answer; There's teams in Holland, France, Austria, Italy, Germany and even Spain that would snap our hands off at that offer. Surely one of them will be a team that plays the right way and provides the exposure to competing for trophies that would be ideal.

4. Is Sturridge completely unable to play Klopp style football and/or guaranteed to be available for less games than this year (it was bad timing that the games he wasn't available for were the games we most needed him for but he's going to have been in the league match day squad 27/28 times).

My answer; I can't guarantee his fitness levels for next season. Presumption has to be made that he will miss games and that he won't be 100% for others but if a third choice behind two good options I'm fine with that. I also think that the last few cameo appearances off the bench and the West Ham game show he can link up well in the type of attack we and Klopp wants. That's changed my mind as I always thought there was no chance of that and there were no signs he could adapt during the first year or so under Klopp.

That's why I've come to the conclusion that it could well be better for Origi to go out on loan for his long term development and our long term chances of him becoming a big player for us. Also if we need a third choice forward option (after all we could loan Origi and sell Sturridge) then Sturridge might well be fine for that role.

It's not Origi versus Sturridge for me anyway."

Dave-D

Goal.com who quote Daily Telegraph say Spuds want Origi then you read the Telegraph article and it says they may be interested as they were previously interested in him. Now that's a none story if I've ever heard one lol

If it was AOC in and Origi out I'd take that as AOC can cover more positions and Origi hasn't managed to find the form he had before Funes Mori broke him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.